Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this 5 piece lifting kit decent and value?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

For work like oil changes, I prefer ramps, which are quicker, and imo safer.

The offer you shows looks good value though.

I have never used Halfords ramps, but here they are:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_175876_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    For work like oil changes, I prefer ramps, which are quicker, and imo safer.

The offer you shows looks good value though.

I have never used Halfords ramps, but here they are:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_175876_langId_-1_categoryId_212549

Is there not more that can be done with a jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

There is not a hope in hell I would get under a car, with cheap Halfords stuff the only thing between me and the car coming down on top of me. The old expression come to mind "You get what you pay for".

An axle stand is an axle stand :rolleyes:
    I would just get the axle stands and the trolley jack or else a pair of ramps. Those creeper yokes are not really needed for the likes of oil changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

alexmcred wrote: »
    There is not a hope in hell I would get under a car, with cheap Halfords stuff the only thing between me and the car coming down on top of me. The old expression come to mind "You get what you pay for".

So whats teh difference between paying €60 for Halfords ramps or €60 in a motor factors?

If your paying more than that for ramps your paying too much.

Iv'e been using 2 "cheap" (but maybe it's only Halfords that sell dangerous equipement?) Aldi trolley jacks for a few years now without incident.
    I stopped using my pin locked Axle stands in favour of ratchet ones I got in Halfords because they are much better to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

We bought a 4 tonne trolley jack in Halfords.:(

We tried to lift the corner of the Camper with it (3tonne empty, and it was empty) on level concrete and the trolley jack twisted! Luckly we hadn't the wheel off before we noticed it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Only suitable for 14" wheels and smaller. Having inspected them, I wouldn't trust them with anything heavier than a micra/yaris.

The creeper is pretty poor quality too tbh.

Tragedy wrote: »

I got a set of ramps in Southside motor factors on the Kylemore road (Dublin before anyone starts :) ) for €40 odd.

Hardly worth a trip to Newry to save about €12 on the above items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Stekelly wrote: »
    I got a set of ramps in Southside motor factors on the Kylemore road (Dublin before anyone starts :) ) for €40 odd.
    As I said, that I'd trust my car on! Heard a lot of stories of weak ramps that have buckled and given way with cars on them, and an awful lot won't take 17" or 18" wheels.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    As I said, that I'd trust my car on! Heard a lot of stories of weak ramps that have buckled and given way with cars on them, and an awful lot won't take 17" or 18" wheels.

Mine have been perfect. Had cars and my van on them. If they are properly rated I dotn see the issue.

My 2 ton jack from Aldi is rated for the same 2 ton as a more expensive one.

Surely if Halfords stands and ramps were collapsign all over the place there be plenty of high profile claims and wrongful deaths suits to rference, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Mine have been perfect. Had cars and my van on them. If they are properly rated I dotn see the issue.

My 2 ton jack from Aldi is rated for the same 2 ton as a more expensive one.

Surely if Halfords stands and ramps were collapsign all over the place there be plenty of high profile claims and wrongful deaths suits to rference, no?
    Tried two two ton jacks with my car, one halfords, one some generic name.

Both have struggled to life one axle, and the arm has twisted the higher it lifts(so much so that on the halfords one, when letting it down, the arm wouldn't fit inside the body and i had to hammer it back into place before getting it to release low enough to come out from under the car).

They still work, and I'm still using them for the moment, but I sure as **** don't trust them.

Same goes for inexpensive car ramps, they might be fine for the first six, twelve months, but I wouldn't trust them long term. Fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I plan on making up 2 ramps shortly from solid timber. Ive lots of roofing timber knocking around. I was thinking maybe 13" wide and about 9" high made from wide boards securely fixed together and a nice gentle slope cut on one end.

So whats teh difference between paying €60 for Halfords ramps or €60 in a motor factors?

If your paying more than that for ramps your paying too much.

Iv'e been using 2 "cheap" (but maybe it's only Halfords that sell dangerous equipement?) Aldi trolley jacks for a few years now without incident.
    I stopped using my pin locked Axle stands in favour of ratchet ones I got in Halfords because they are much better to use.

You not paying €60 for ramps your paying €75 for a set of stuff. I've no probs with Halfords stuff all I'm saying is I would not feel comfortable going under a with that kit holding it up. Personal opinion. And before you start I've had Draper stands give way under a car hence my reluctance since they are probably all made in the same factory in China any ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I've no doubt they're fine but I never work under the car without a couple solid blocks of timber under the sills just in case. It's a psychological thing for me.

alexmcred wrote: »
    You not paying €60 for ramps your paying €75 for a set of stuff. I've no probs with Halfords stuff all I'm saying is I would not feel comfortable going under a with that kit holding it up. Personal opinion. And before you start I've had Draper stands give way under a car hence my reluctance since they are probably all made in the same factory in China any ways.

The set in the OP is €75 and has a jack and no ramps. The 2nd post has a link to a set of ramps in halfords for €60.

The set in the OP is €75 and has a jack and no ramps. The 2nd post has a link to a set of ramps in halfords for €60.

My posts were related to the stuff in the op not 2nd post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nothing wrong with the Halfords jack stands, I use the non stop in conjunction with some wooden ramps and they're hard as nails.

DSCF0648.jpg

Its the metal ramps i don't trust, you're depending on the welds being high quality and if they aren't, the whole thing will buckle.

At least with the jack stands theirs a 2 inch steel bar holding the stand in position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd be more wary of the ramps to be honest aswell. Plus I don't think you'd able to take the wheels off to do brake work either. Thanks for the help lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If it's just for an oil change, don't bother with any of these 'solutions'. Get an oil extractor from ebay for 40 sterling. You don't run the risk of having a leaky sump plug either - because as far as I can tell sump plugs in the last 5 years seem to be made of plasticine.

An oil change using an extractor is cleaner, and a hell of a lot faster, and cheaper than buying ramps, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have often contemplated buying one of those oil extractors, but in the back of my mind I am thinking that you would never be able to get as much of the old oil out as you would by just removing the sump plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A lot of dealerships and indy mechanics use extractors. There may be a smidgen of oil left, but with the amount of new oil you're putting in, it's hardly an issue.

In many cases you still need to jack the car up to change the oil filter so the oil extractor won't help you there. Many mechanics prefer draining the oil to using the extractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I know you might be looking at them for other stuff, but if its just oil change you might well be able to do without jacking car up at all.
    Obviously it depends on the car and its a bit more awkward, but nothing safer than 4 wheels sitting on solid ground.

As I said most cars need to jacked to allow access to change the oil filter. My Merc didn't as it was a cartridge filter, three K series Rovers I had didn't but it was awkward, much easier to jack it and use an axle stand.

Advertisement