Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sight lines measured from where?

• 28-01-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking about creating my entrance gates.

Just a qusetion about from what point is the sight lines measured. Is it from the gate line or someone has mentioned to me that it is from 2 metres back from the existing roadway.

Any advice welcome before i go ripping up anymore unnecessarty hedgerows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It is measured back from the road edge. The distance varies depending on the class of road.

It should be shown on your site layout plan or conditioned on your planning permission. If not ring your agent or the local planning or roads office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The sightline requirements should be in your county development plan which you should be able to download from their website. It will be in the development standards somewhere!!! They can also be relaxed in some locations usually small not very busy local roads and should have been shown on your site layout plan by your agent or else conditioned in your planning permission as mentioned by muffler.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as the guys say above, it depends..

but typically i have shown sightlines back 3.0 m from edge of road.

some counties accept 2.4 m back.

make sure sight lines do not cross the centre line of the road, and make sure they end at the centre line of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

All Councils seem to differ.... Our County Council insists on 65m(or120m) sight-ines in both directions, measured 2m back from iron edge of road at centre of proposed entrance - to edge of road 65m away (or 120m in some cases). Sight-line isn't measured to centre of road or centre of lane, in this County. Its always measured to edge of road.

OP should check their Councils spec as stated about, details should be in their County Development Plan or retain local professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

sight lines are to be measured from a point 1mt high and 3mt back from the road edge on the centre line of your drive,from this point the "sightline" is to the near side of the road in both directions for the approved distance.
    the distance will be marked on your planning premission,
    if this is not to hand, check out your county website and go to planning section, search under your name/area.
    just a point to add the sight lines are probably supposed to be the first job done though sometimes like myself are left until the final tidy up and landscaping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

OP what local Authority are you dealing with and is the entrance for a single site or more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

We'll have to do a county by county survey, In Mayo, Sligo & I think Galway they are to the same side of the road, In Mayo the are 2.5m back and 120m long on an 80kmph road (all little country roads!!:eek:) but can be adjusted down to 70m if the area engineer is happy that you can only drive at around 50kmph on the road (ie its very narrow!!) If we had it to the centre line of the road around here I could nearly get planning anywhere!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No6 wrote: »
    We'll have to do a county by county survey, In Mayo, Sligo & I think Galway they are to the same side of the road, In Mayo the are 2.5m back and 120m long on an 80kmph road (all little country roads!!:eek:) but can be adjusted down to 70m if the area engineer is happy that you can only drive at around 50kmph on the road (ie its very narrow!!) If we had it to the centre line of the road around here I could nearly get planning anywhere!!!:D
    Might be an idea to post a new thread on this in the AT Rep forum :)

One point about sightlines, on my site the sightlines were perfect for leaving the drive, but as the driveway is on the outside of a bend, turning right into the driveway has become unexpectedly tight as visiblilty of oncoming traffic isn't possible until you are almost stopped opposite the drive.

To get round this issue I now need to keep the hedge opposite my driveway trimmed.

Advertisement