Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do farmers spray in August?

• 28-01-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I am not a farmer but live in a small rural village.

Last August my wife - who is asthmatic - reacted to something that seemed to be sprayed by a farmer.

We just are planning to go on hols to be away at that time.

Any idea as to what it might be, or is it predictable as to when it is done?

Thanks
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

If it was on a cereal crop in August it was more than likely Roundup (active ingredient: Glyphosate).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mark_Crowley

If it was on a cereal crop in August it was more than likely Roundup (active ingredient: Glyphosate).

Thanks. Is it possible to predict what time in August this is sprayed - or even something like when it is wet/dry or before a wet/dry spell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

Ok presuming that it is a cereal crop and that it is roundup the farmer is using its usually applied 10-14 days pre-harvest and in dry conditions.

Ok presuming that it is a cereal crop and that it is roundup the farmer is using its usually applied 10-14 days pre-harvest and in dry conditions.

Great, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

What was in the field he sprayed Mark?? Was it a crop like wheat barley or just grass??

• Advertisement

motorman wrote: »
    What was in the field he sprayed Mark?? Was it a crop like wheat barley or just grass??

Not sure Motorman - not even sure which field or farm it was.

Just that there seemed to be a strong smell for a few days and it made her unwell.

Cheers

Then it is very unlikley to be glyphosate (roundup) as there is very little smell of this. And if you did smell it it would only last a few minutes not days.

To be able to predict when it will happen you would have to know what it is.
    My GF is also asthmatic, what will get her and make her unwell short of breath is Hay straw or even silage.

Then it is very unlikley to be glyphosate (roundup) as there is very little smell of this. And if you did smell it it would only last a few minutes not days.

To be able to predict when it will happen you would have to know what it is.
    My GF is also asthmatic, what will get her and make her unwell short of breath is Hay straw or even silage.

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance, but does silage smell like manure? And, why do they spread it - and is August a typical time to spread it?

As for hay straw - would this be an issue only when it is being cut, and again (excuse the ignorance), is this an August process?

Np problem mark,
    For an asthmatic hay and straw woudld only be a problem when it is being made because of the dust, grass pollen etc.
    As for silage. Silage is grass cut during the summer and stored to feed livestock with during the winter. Some asthmatis's can react to cut grass..
    But I would imagine the bad smell must be livestock manure being spread on fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

August would also the time that most plants and weeds spread their seeds
    so there could be a lot of pollen and seeds etc. blowing around in the air

• Advertisement

Np problem mark,
    For an asthmatic hay and straw woudld only be a problem when it is being made because of the dust, grass pollen etc.
    As for silage. Silage is grass cut during the summer and stored to feed livestock with during the winter. Some asthmatis's can react to cut grass..
    But I would imagine the bad smell must be livestock manure being spread on fields.

Cheers

Is livestock manure spread at particular times or just anytime through the year that it's needed?

djmc wrote: »
    August would also the time that most plants and weeds spread their seeds
    so there could be a lot of pollen and seeds etc. blowing around in the air

Good point, thanks

Cheers

Is livestock manure spread at particular times or just anytime through the year that it's needed?

A lot of farmers are spreading it now. It would be unusual if this is the case. I would imagine if it was usual asthmatic complaints like shortness of breath and coughing then it would more likely be pollen irritation.
    You can be tested for all these things to identify which specific one will flare up a problem. Your doctor will best advise on this, which would be your best chance to pinpoint the problem. Should it turn out to be pollen you can install a filtration system on your house to catch pollen etc and keep your house pollen free.
    I would imagine it is just coincidence that there happen to be a slurry smell at the time. This would seem the most likely scenario, but i could be wrong, consult your gp.

A lot of farmers are spreading it now. It would be unusual if this is the case. I would imagine if it was usual asthmatic complaints like shortness of breath and coughing then it would more likely be pollen irritation.
    You can be tested for all these things to identify which specific one will flare up a problem. Your doctor will best advise on this, which would be your best chance to pinpoint the problem. Should it turn out to be pollen you can install a filtration system on your house to catch pollen etc and keep your house pollen free.
    I would imagine it is just coincidence that there happen to be a slurry smell at the time. This would seem the most likely scenario, but i could be wrong, consult your gp.

Thanks again. Her consultant has tested her for allergies - pollen is one but not a big one.

It seems from this thread that besides possibly creating more pollen in the air by cutting/harvesting, there is nothing really that farmers do that would typically aggravate asthma symptoms. Would this be a fair summary?

Based on my own expierience living with an asthmatic in rural Ireland, I would say yes...a fair summary.

Based on my own expierience living with an asthmatic in rural Ireland, I would say yes...a fair summary.

Ok thanks Motorman, you've been a great help.

Advertisement