Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Bolton 30th Jan, 3pm.

• 28-01-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

art_lfc_bolt_pl.jpg
    okay folks. post at your earliest convenience. Chance for pool to bounce back at weekend. Not much to be said about Wolves game other than left an awful lot to be desired.
    The two teams last met in August when Liverpool came out on top in a classic 3-2 encounter at the Reebok stadium.
    Bolton then managed by Megson Went ahead early on courtesy of a Kevin Davies header before Glen Johnson equalized following a terrific left footed effort from Glen Johnson to leave it 1-1 at the interval.
    And although Bolton were to re take the lad, Sean Davies was then sent off for a second yellow after the break.
    And from there Liverpool took control with Torres levelling proceedings off a Kuyt assist.
    Gerrard then sealed victory with a a cracking right footed shot.
    The return clash sees Johnson and Torres both out while Gerrard didn't exactly cover himself in glory in his last game.
    Anyway here's hoping the lads can do the double over Bolton with every point proving crucial from hereonin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Probably not a game for Aquilani I would imagine, it might get a bit physical in the the midfield. Saying that Gerrard didn't exactly look mobile against Wolves - your dead right it will be a tough one to call, stick Gerrard out right and put Kuyt up front.

Anyhow this is how I see it lining up.

..................Reina..................
    Carragher Skrtel Kyrgiakos Insua
    ..........Masch......Lucas...........
    ...Kuyt........................Riera...
    ...........Gerrard......................
    ...................Ngog.................

Happy to see Riera back, he add's a bit of ball retention and can create something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

saw kelly back training but saying that I reckon it's the first time we've kept back to back clean sheets in a while so the back 5 will remain unchanged

Reina
    Carra Skrtel Krigger Insua

After that it gets tricky
    Maxi, Riera, Aquilani all need the ball on the deck which wasn't really an option at the Molinuex midweek, the Reebok should be in better condition and with Aquilani sitting out the midweek game I reckon he'll start,
    I would hope Gerrard doesn't start, simply isn't fit,

Hoping for

Kuyt Lucas Aquilani Masch Riera
    N'gog

leaving a tidy bench of

Cava, Agger/Kelly (if either are fit really), Aurelio, Gerrard, Maxi, Pacheco, Babel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Tough game. SOTS put a Bolton crest in your post, bit of respect to the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kinda hoping for a Bolton win at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    Kinda hoping for a Bolton win at this stage.

why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bolton ftw 2-1

why?

My self destructive/masochistic side coming out. I'm waiting for rock bottom to be reached and for players and managment alike to have nowhere to hide.

Sadly it prolly wouldn't have the lance/boil effect needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Very tough game to call. I reckon a draw could be on the cards.

Probably a sign of how bad things are that I'm saying this about facing a relegation-candidate team, but I honestly don't particularly see us as favourites for this one. Bolton are at home and have come off a big win, with a new manager that the fans are behind.

I can see both managers aiming to keep things tight at the back and I wouldn't be surprised see a low-scoring draw, or either team to nick it 1-0

Another big big game for us (how many times have we said that this season?), after the Wolves game I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

This could be another howler like the wolves game, neither team are playing pretty football of late..

still I hope its 2-0 liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Balls to the theory of not being a game for Aquilani. I would love us to put out a team with an emphasis on outplaying the opposition. We have plenty of strength in our team anyway so it's not like we'll be outmuscled with the likes of Kuyt, Gerrard, Masch/Lucas, carra, Skrtel, Greek etc.

Not going to happen, but i'd love to see;

Pepe
    Carra---Greek---Skrtel---Aurelio

Masch--Lucas

Gerrard
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Gives us a lot of versatility and potential for passing, without sacrificing physicality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

CHD wrote: »
    Tough game. SOTS put a Bolton crest in your post, bit of respect to the community.
    done. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

And put Liverpool first in the thread title as they are at home. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I expect something like this:

Reina

Carragher
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani

Maxi
    Gerrard
    Riera

Kuyt

I think we’ll win: a laboured 2-0

mike65 wrote: »
    My self destructive/masochistic side coming out. I'm waiting for rock bottom to be reached and for players and managment alike to have nowhere to hide.

Sadly it prolly wouldn't have the lance/boil effect needed.

Oh god no.

Surely you want us to just win all our games instead?

Johner wrote: »
    And put Liverpool first in the thread title as they are at home. :)

ah for **** sake that's why I mentioned the reebok in my post, sort this shiz out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

done. ;)
    Thanks pal

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Probably not a game for Aquilani I would imagine, it might get a bit physical in the the midfield. Saying that Gerrard didn't exactly look mobile against Wolves - your dead right it will be a tough one to call, stick Gerrard out right and put Kuyt up front.

So what is exactly is the right game for him. Are we now saying coming up to the end of January that Aquaman is not up to the rigours of the premiership. Play him in every game. He is our top signing. Otherwise what is the point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

mayordenis wrote: »
    ah for **** sake that's why I mentioned the reebok in my post, sort this shiz out.

Ha, threw me as well, I assumed Bolton were at home as well. I should probably have known we were at home...

In that case we I revise my earlier comment and say that we are favourites for this one, despite how badly we played against Wolves. We've won 3 on the bounce in the League at home. Still, a draw wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I just remember cause Gerrard scored a screamer at the Reebok late on earlier in the season to win 3-2 I think.

Johner wrote: »
    I just remember cause Gerrard scored a screamer at the Reebok late on earlier in the season to win 3-2 I think.
    see first post for more. Just finished watching highlights again. three cracking goals that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Balls to the theory of not being a game for Aquilani. I would love us to put out a team with an emphasis on outplaying the opposition. We have plenty of strength in our team anyway so it's not like we'll be outmuscled with the likes of Kuyt, Gerrard, Masch/Lucas, carra, Skrtel, Greek etc.

Not going to happen, but i'd love to see;

Pepe
    Carra---Greek---Skrtel---Aurelio

Masch--Lucas

Gerrard
    Aquilani
    Riera

Kuyt

Gives us a lot of versatility and potential for passing, without sacrificing physicality.

I too am sick listening to this phrase....."probably not a game for aquilani". Play the fecker or stop wasting the clubs money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seriously, i don't want to hear any more 'this isn't the right game for Aquilani' sh*t.

it's a joke at this stage.

he is going to get tackled; let's deal with it.

if he can't handle it, we shouldn't have bought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    seriously, i don't want to hear any more 'this isn't the right game for Aquilani' sh*t.

it's a joke at this stage.

he is going to get tackled; let's deal with it.

if he can't handle it, we shouldn't have bought him.

True, this is an ideal game for him, at home, plenty of possession and we need a player like him to break them down.

Going for a 2-0.

Reina
    Carra Skrtel The Greek Insua
    Masch Acquilani
    Kuyt Gerrard Riera
    NGog

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

CHD wrote: »
    Bolton and liverpool combined crest now up on op ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Going to be at this game with 8 mates, 4 of whom are Pool fans. My first PL match and looking forward to the atmosphere and hopefully quality of football on display.......I live in hope.
    I see Liverpool winning this one 2-1, Ngog and Riera to score before a goal from the lump davies on 85 minutes to set it up for a grandstand finish and some nervy moments before the final whistle saves Liverpools bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

posted this in liverpool superthread, forgot it should go here:

so what formation will that be
    reina
    carra kyrgiakos skrtel insua
    masch
    ----aquilani-gerrard
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Ngog

or a 4-4-2 with stevie out right?

i would approve both of those formations...

posted this in liverpool superthread, forgot it should go here:

so what formation will that be
    reina
    masch
    ----aquilani-gerrard
    Kuyt
    Riera
    Ngog

or a 4-4-2 with stevie out right?

i would approve both of those formations...
    Next month should tell us a lot about what cm Rafa (pictured below at pre bolton training session)will stick with. Coming to business end of season now. As i have alluded to before Rafa has some tough decisions to make now when choosing between Aqualani, Lucas, and Masch. And as was mentioned no harm giving lucas a bit of a break. He is still only twenty one or two.

boltontraining1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

liverpool 2 - 0
    kuyt instead of maxi if we have carra at RB. maxi for kuyt if we have degen :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

This is bolton were playing , go out and thrash them is what shankly would have said! only burnley wigan and hull have conceded more goals than bolton this season,
    kuyt should play up front, lots are saying he needs to be dropped, why, he plays out wide most of the time, but he is one of few players in side who chips in with goals, he has scored more goals than craig bellamy, emmanuel adebayor,,and has score same amount as anelka and andrey arshavin,
    part of liverpool problem is no one chips in with goals, a team needs that,
    lucas and masch need to get atleast 5 between the two of them, its not a lot to ask for considering the amount of time they play,they both hold the midfield,,one of them could make runs foward at some stage of game and atleast try and get into scoring posistion,
    Flecther has 3 already this season, and he is defensive midfielder, but he gets foward once in a blue moon to chip in with vital goals,
    i,m not sure why we bought aqulani.. he's a attacking midfielder,who is not any good at defending,,,, i really thing u need both qualities for that money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dont normally do one of these but:

reina
    masch---lucas
    Kuyt
    gerrard
    Riera
    Ngog

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Dont normally do one of these but:

reina
    masch---lucas
    Kuyt
    gerrard
    Riera
    Ngog

Id agree with most of that selection the only changes i would make would be Ngog out Kuyt up top and Maxi out on the right. Id also switch Lucas for Aqua.

I have to say i think the whole Aqua situation is beyond a joke. Why buy him if he wont play him.

This game is live on setanta today coverage starts at 2:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Ngog

Subs: Cavalieri, Agger, Rodriguez, Babel, Lucas, Darby, Pacheco.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos
    Insua

Mascherano
    Aquilani
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Ngog

Subs: Cavalieri, Agger, Rodriguez, Babel, Lucas, Darby, Pacheco.
    is that the formation. Mascherano playing out on the wings?

is that the formation. Mascherano playing out on the wings?

It is just the team for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gary Cahill to be a colossus at both ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Dear Liverpool. I will have another disgusting 1-0 win that will leave me with a simultaneous feeling of satisfaction and depression please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bolton starting very well.

some decent Liverpool pressure ending in a corner

Liverpool playing with intent.

Aquilani looking good today as does Masch. Plenty of good running from Kuyt and N'Gog is getting into good positions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Almost a contender for Goal of the Season there from Lee. Some run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Kess73 wrote: »
    Aquilani looking good today

I thought he has given the ball away a bit much myself?

Let off there, Lee went to walk it in :D Kyriakos to the rescue

Well down the big Greek. Pepe was roundedby the attacker and Kyriakos got back on the line whilst the rest of the defence were ball watching, and blocked the shot.

That was a warning for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Liverpool look awful again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kuyt has been a great player for Liverpool, but he needs to be dropped.

Liverpool look awful again.

They are looking better than in recent games. OK Gerrard has gone totally missing again, but the other ten are putting in a decent shift so far. If they keep working hard something might click.

yayayayayayaya :D

Hang on I wanted Liverpool to loose didn't I? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

go on repeat please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

:P

Once more Rafa has gotten his Dirk Kuyt. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement