Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

practicalPhilosophy.ie

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi there, was wondering about doing the 10 week introductory course with these guys, but looking for advice as to whether or not I should? I mean is there anything I can do with it? has anyone here ever taken the course?

thanks
    Stephen
    www.practicalphilosophy.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

To be honest its value probably depends on your needs. You wont get a job out of it but there's a good chance it will change the way you approach your life in a very positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

a simple google search about the school throws up a number of links implying the school has links to/ fronts a cult

am not saying it is, but it's worth informing yourself before getting involved with any organisation

here's a useful link

http://www.dialogueireland.org/dicontent/a2z/ses/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

BennyLava wrote: »
    a simple google search about the school throws up a number of links implying the school has links to/ fronts a cult

am not saying it is, but it's worth informing yourself before getting involved with any organisation

here's a useful link

http://www.dialogueireland.org/dicontent/a2z/ses/index.html

wow, well I wont be giving it me cash.

isnt there any legit schools in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I'm just finishing the foundation course at New
    Acoroplis, Lennox St, D8 and really enjoyed it. And they're not culty or at least I haven't been given any cool-aid yet.

The site says that enrollment stars Feb 16th but the snow made us miss a few weeks so I think it's been rescheduled to beginning of March.

http://www.newacropolis-ireland.org/

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pesactivist

They're not really a cult organisation, but they do have a rather literalist and superficial approach to Plato. They do a good "Day with Plato" event every year that is worth attending, but when you try to discuss philosophy with their tutors you quickly discover that it's little more than blandishments and assertions. Not a lot of philsophy but lots of feel good talk rooted in the Platonic dialogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Was recommended this course by someone who knew that I was a philosophy graduate in withdrawals.Handed over my cash and started the course in Cork at start of 2008. In my own humble opinion, I found it extremly dodgey and not the least philosophical. Lack of any real knowledge of philosophy was brushed aside becuase it was a 'practical' philosophy course. Answers to questions where evasive at best and completely wrong at worst. Walked out during the second class.
    In my opinion, its not worth parting with your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

<mod snip>

Mod Edit: Potentially libellous post removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement