Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Bulli reservations

Options
  • 28-01-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Anyone got their refusal e-mails yet? Or shudder the thought, an acceptance?

We live in hope.....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

closed for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Pal wrote: »
    closed for 2 years

Ok, so I googled it, will just add to the pressure for seats next year:(

Pal wrote: »
    closed for 2 years

What's closed for two years ? - they were inviting applications for reservations this January!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

The restaurant is closing to the public for 2 years beginning in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cyberhog wrote: »
    The restaurant is closing to the public for 2 years beginning in 2012.

How do you mean 'closing to the public', will it be open to the non-public??? (whatever that means)

Why is it closing anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why is it so bleedin exclusive that place?

Ok, got the refusal today. Boo hiss. Try again next year......

WindSock wrote: »
    Why is it so bleedin exclusive that place?

It's ranked the number one restaurant in the world, so I guess they can afford to be.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's ranked the number one restaurant in the world, so I guess they can afford to be.

And it's not that expensive, considering.
    (you could spend much more in any number of Dublin restaurants!)

Just got my refusal too:(

• Advertisement

Just got my refusal too:(

Hee hee, am I a bad person that that somehow makes me feel better?

No, not expensive but exclusive. It only opens for a week in the year (or whatever it is)
    Why do that? Is it just trying to make it more 'special' or something?

Edit: Just reading Wiki now, it is open 6 months and takes 8,000 diners. And it has operated at a loss since 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My sister's mate went last year, I don't have to tell you what she thought of it!

WindSock wrote: »
    No, not expensive but exclusive. It only opens for a week in the year (or whatever it is)
    Why do that? Is it just trying to make it more 'special' or something?

Edit: Just reading Wiki now, it is open 6 months and takes 8,000 diners. And it has operated at a loss since 2000.

And employs 42 chefs! No wonder they don't make a profit.

olaola wrote: »
    My sister's mate went last year, I don't have to tell you what she thought of it!

Oh go on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's my understanding that the chefs work for free to gain experience, it would also be invaluable on a résumé. Profits are made my book sales related to the restuarant and as WindSock points out, not by the restaurant itself.

It's my understanding that the chefs work for free to gain experience, it would also be invaluable on a résumé.

Ah I see, would look very good on the cv no doubt.

EDIT: what's all this about being refused/accepted? By what criteria do they deem you worthy of inclusion on the list? Or is it just
    a random thing?

It's something wierd like 50% are local, 25% European and 25% international.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Oh go on!

Well she is actually Spanish herself. My sis & myself wondered if she would get the full enjoyment out of it, as she doesn't eat veg - AT ALL. Only meat! But she said it was a once in a lifetime experience. I have to get more info out of my sister about the indivdual dishes.

Advertisement