Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

O'Grady definetly won't be available. Ye don't have the money. Limerick have infinite funding with J.P. McManus backing the thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair play eroo for thanking Sparrow, we mightn't all think he did a great job, or that the structures were in place correctly, but you can't question the man's loyalty to Clare hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Clareman wrote: »
    Fair play eroo for thanking Sparrow, we mightn't all think he did a great job, or that the structures were in place correctly, but you can't question the man's loyalty to Clare hurling.

True, and he has brought through an awful lot of young players now who are a year more experienced in senior hurling, and what it requires (especially at the back!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

What are ye're minor team's chances on winning Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

dartbhoy wrote: »

Chances are good. They made a good tipp side look ordinary. Clare still have a good few members from last years team/panel. Waterford are a very good team. It'll be close, only a few in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 That Usual Fellow

dartbhoy wrote: »

First off I`d like to say Hi to everyone on boards.ie

I`d say the Clare minor team has a good chance.They had an easy first game against Kerry but beat a tough Tipp team.Some great players on the team,Tony Kelly(Midfield & Captain) is exceptional and has everything needed to be a great player.Good team,but so are Waterford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Welcome to boards That Usual Fellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

ballykev wrote: »
    o Grady is the man for this best hurling coach manager in the county by long way. not a hope of us getting him, defo need some one from outside the county with no ties to any clubs or certain players.

think sparrow should bring half the players with him!
    What players are you knocking now? The ones 1's i think should go are Diarmuid McM and Fergal Lynch, James McInerney shouldnt even be on the panel, Barrett is better than him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ballykev

billo.d86 wrote: »
    What players are you knocking now? The ones 1's i think should go are Diarmuid McM and Fergal Lynch, James McInerney shouldnt even be on the panel, Barrett is better than him!!

Breenan - > Just not up to it at intercounty level and makes too many mistakes
    Tuohy -> too many mistakes and does not listen to instruction, how many times has he caused goals by coming off his line for both club and county
    Fergal Lynch -> on the panel now for 6 or 7 years one question, on what basis ? not good enough
    Clancy -> does not even stand out in club games and he is playing midfield for clare.
    Gerry Quinn -> could have been one of the great wing backs, but something seriously wrong ere no interest what so ever
    Chaplin -> on the panel for no other reason than daddy is a selector. does not even stand out in club games
    Honan -> living of his performnce in the U21 championship, has not hit a ball since, does not work for the ball as displayed by recent disply against tipp needs a serious wake up call
    Mcmahon -> time has just caught up with him gave his all for jersey pity of few more players wouldnt do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tuohy -> too many mistakes and does not listen to instruction, how many times has he caused goals by coming off his line for both club and county
    Fergal Lynch -> on the panel now for 6 or 7 years one question, on what basis ? not good enough
    Clancy -> does not even stand out in club games and he is playing midfield for clare.
    Gerry Quinn -> could have been one of the great wing backs, but something seriously wrong ere no interest what so ever
    Chaplin -> on the panel for no other reason than daddy is a selector. does not even stand out in club games
    Honan -> living of his performnce in the U21 championship, has not hit a ball since, does not work for the ball as displayed by recent disply against tipp needs a serious wake up call
    Mcmahon -> time has just caught up with him gave his all for jersey pity of few more players wouldnt do the same

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 30 better hurlers in Clare than Clancy and Honan, Clancy had a fine game against Tipp and himself and O'Connell were well on top until O'Connell had to caom off due to illness.

Honan was clearly struggling with injury this year and a few months off will do him the world of good, back fully fit he would cause any full back problems and provide the perfect foil for the likes of McGrath, Morey etc.

Have'nt seen much of chaplin this year but he was always a hurler that impressed me, I'll take your word for it that he has lost form, and I definitely agree about the two keeper's, McMahon and Lynch although I do think Lynch might be a good squad player to keep a 20 min man if u like. Gerry Quinn obviously has all the talent but seems to have commitment issues and if that is the case he should be let go aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

There is no way on gods green earth that there are 30 better hurlers in Clare than Clancy and Honan, Clancy had a fine game against Tipp and himself and O'Connell were well on top until O'Connell had to caom off due to illness.

Honan was clearly struggling with injury this year and a few months off will do him the world of good, back fully fit he would cause any full back problems and provide the perfect foil for the likes of McGrath, Morey etc.

Have'nt seen much of chaplin this year but he was always a hurler that impressed me, I'll take your word for it that he has lost form, and I definitely agree about the two keeper's, McMahon and Lynch although I do think Lynch might be a good squad player to keep a 20 min man if u like. Gerry Quinn obviously has all the talent but seems to have commitment issues and if that is the case he should be let go aswell.

id agree with all of that statement. No doubt that Honan is a great talent and has loads of ability but his attitude in games does need to change.
    McMahon & Lynch are just not good enough for this standard of hurling although they may be good squad players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Ballykev, all you ever seem to do is criticise our lads.. so who would be on your starting 15 without the players you stated aren't good enough?

I'd love to know!

Well what keeper would you have in it? Lads are on about bringing Davy bk we cant put him in goal :D
    Im agree with you about McMahon and Lynch, they arent even good enough to be squad players.
    I feel sorry for Morey he had a tough start at full forward with Honan out injured, but he definately one of the best full forwards around when he is fully fit man.
    I dont think Chaplin is good enough either.
    But for the rest i think are definately good enough to be there and the best we have but, there are some clingers on that plan, too much politics from managers inside the county.
    I would love to hear your starting 15 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ballykev

eroo wrote: »
    Ballykev, all you ever seem to do is criticise our lads.. so who would be on your starting 15 without the players you stated aren't good enough?

I'd love to know!

Clare are miles of the pace as i stated a long time ago we are lacking stand out players in all the key positions full back center back midfield, half forward line cannot win their own ball, conlon more often than not scores from ball breaking rest of the half forward line dont score at all. we possibly have one excellent forward in the making if he can remain consistent oustanding in the U21 Munster final last year , played wel l against tipp and showed his class against galway with the poor supply of ball he receivied.

we are at nothing if we continue on with the likes of lynch mother of god an impact sub , what has he ever done as an impact sub

Clare Team
    1 Fahy -> Sparrow went to look at Fahy (Whitegate) at Clare cup game and didnt rate him after one ball.FAHY FROM bridge also solid

2 Bugler -> awfull wild swing, and gets hooked alot, hopefully he would not make too many mistakes iin here

3 J.Mcinerey -> full back or nothing too slow for anywhere else

4 Dillion -> has good days and bad

5 NOC -> his most natural position needs to be played ere

6 G.Quinn ? -> lads reckons he deserves another chance needs to
    actually play and not sit on the bench for 6 months.

7 Markham -> wingback for cratloe this is where he should play

8 Vaughan -> he is not a corner back

9 Shane golden -> would be no worse than clancy and a bit more phsycial and still mobile

10 ???? who knows collins / ryan

11 Conlon -> needs to put up his hand and bend his back and put two hands on the hurley instead of following the ball around the field with one hand on the hurley

12 ????? who knows collins / ryan

13 McInerey -> good forward

14 Morey -> left of bench until 60 seconds left against tipp deserves his place ahaead of Honan

15 McGrath -> top class hope he can kepp it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Clare Team
    1 Fahy -> Sparrow went to look at Fahy (Whitegate) at Clare cup game and didnt rate him after one ball.FAHY FROM bridge also solid

2 Bugler -> awfull wild swing, and gets hooked alot, hopefully he would not make too many mistakes iin here

9 Shane golden -> would be no worse than clancy and a bit more phsycial and still mobile

11 Conlon -> needs to put up his hand and bend his back and put two hands on the hurley instead of following the ball around the field with one hand on the hurley

14 Morey -> left of bench until 60 seconds left against tipp deserves his place ahaead of Honan

You have outdone yourself with that one Sir, one thing I will agree with you though is I think Nicky O'Connell needs to be played in the half back line, hes class and leadership are badly need there.

Clare are miles of the pace as i stated a long time ago we are lacking stand out players in all the key positions full back center back midfield, half forward line cannot win their own ball, conlon more often than not scores from ball breaking rest of the half forward line dont score at all. we possibly have one excellent forward in the making if he can remain consistent oustanding in the U21 Munster final last year , played wel l against tipp and showed his class against galway with the poor supply of ball he receivied.

we are at nothing if we continue on with the likes of lynch mother of god an impact sub , what has he ever done as an impact sub

Clare Team

Outdone yourself is right what little experience that can actually play for more lads competely unproven! Your on about stand-out players Shane Golden is not a stand out player at club level man!

Your dropping Cooney who had Eoin Kelly in pocket against Tipp, for James McInerney just to play him, he's not good enough at full-back either, he was found there afew years ago against Tipp. Hes not good enough end of story same way Fergal Lynch isnt good enough.

Fahy from the Bridge is good not mad about Andrew Fahy, John Cooney is a decent keeper from the Mills Connor's brotherwork well together Lohan factor.

Dont think Morey is a natural goalscorer that Honan is, but he is definately worth his place on wing forward.

Quinn does deserve a go agree with ya there. Unless there is some stand out player come out of the championship.

I think Ciaran O' Doherty from Crusheen should be in ahead of Vaughan at corner back hes a natural.

They are so off the pace because they are playing division 2, and dont have the same conditioning that Limerick have to give it a go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not sure who I'd like to get the job next. As been said Sparrow did his best but with a very young team I'm not sure it suited him.

billo.d86 wrote: »
    Outdone yourself is right what little experience that can actually play for more lads competely unproven! Your on about stand-out players Shane Golden is not a stand out player at club level man!

Your dropping Cooney who had Eoin Kelly in pocket against Tipp, for James McInerney just to play him, he's not good enough at full-back either, he was found there afew years ago against Tipp. Hes not good enough end of story same way Fergal Lynch isnt good enough.

Fahy from the Bridge is good not mad about Andrew Fahy, John Cooney is a decent keeper from the Mills Connor's brotherwork well together Lohan factor.

Dont think Morey is a natural goalscorer that Honan is, but he is definately worth his place on wing forward.

Quinn does deserve a go agree with ya there. Unless there is some stand out player come out of the championship.

I think Ciaran O' Doherty from Crusheen should be in ahead of Vaughan at corner back hes a natural.

They are so off the pace because they are playing division 2, and dont have the same conditioning that Limerick have to give it a go.

In fairness to Ballykev he gave it a go at least.
    First off, bit harsh on Shane Golden. He is still u21 as well and was outstanding in the Bridge's u21 success this year and by all accounts was very good for the Clare intermediates in the match v Cork.
    Cooney may have had Kelly in his pocket but he got roasted by Hayes the other weekend and clearly a pacey player causes him problems (Downes in league 2 final).
    Andrew Fahy has received high praise from a number of high profile ex players recently for his performances so he cant be far away from starting.
    I'd agree with the statement about Honan. Natural goalscorer and we seriously lack in the goalscoring department.

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Chances are good. They made a good tipp side look ordinary. Clare still have a good few members from last years team/panel. Waterford are a very good team. It'll be close, only a few in it.
    Clare have a great under age structure in place in the County the past few years and the minor and under 21 teams have gained success due to it. Thanks for your opinion and best of luck on Sunday.

First off I`d like to say Hi to everyone on boards.ie

I`d say the Clare minor team has a good chance.They had an easy first game against Kerry but beat a tough Tipp team.Some great players on the team,Tony Kelly(Midfield & Captain) is exceptional and has everything needed to be a great player.Good team,but so are Waterford
    Welcome to boards.ie Thanks for replying to my question,all the best on Sunday.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Ballykev he gave it a go at least.
    First off, bit harsh on Shane Golden. He is still u21 as well and was outstanding in the Bridge's u21 success this year and by all accounts was very good for the Clare intermediates in the match v Cork.
    Cooney may have had Kelly in his pocket but he got roasted by Hayes the other weekend and clearly a pacey player causes him problems (Downes in league 2 final).
    Andrew Fahy has received high praise from a number of high profile ex players recently for his performances so he cant be far away from starting.
    I'd agree with the statement about Honan. Natural goalscorer and we seriously lack in the goalscoring department.
    I think Damien Hayes would roast anyone on his day as he has doen for years dude!

Probably abit harsh on Golden he will come on alot playing for the intermediates, but he's not ready for senior yet.

Is the Cork and Galway match not on tv??

Change of plans for me today, was going to goto Cork but real world issues have gotten in the way, I shall be listening to Clare FM at 2 (http://www.clare.fm/node/7). I'm hearing some worrying rumours coming from the Clare camp of not only the prep for the game but also the availability of some of the main players, hopefully these are all groundless, I don't think the game will be as 1 sided as the bookies suggest, Waterford will be up for this and will be bouyed on by their supporters.

9 points to 1-3 to Clare after 18 mins. Great stuff from Clare so far.

Clare 14 Waterford 1-4 at HT. Clare on top all over the field according to the radio. The two midfielders are cleaning up once again.

Come on the Banner

Halftime now, sounds like Clare are well on top and lead by 7 points (0-14 to 1-04)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

1-16 to 1-5.. Hon the Banner :D

great start to the 2nd half. goal for Clare. 1-16 to 1-5 now.

another soft goal for Waterford. Game getting tight now. 1-19 to 2-8 with 10 mins left.

We have to try to cut out these soft goals, 8 points up with ~8 minutes left.

• Advertisement

Make that 5 minutes left

another goal for Waterford :eek: 5 points in it with 5 mins left.

Goal for Waterford, 1-19 to 3-8 left, 5 points in it and you can hear the Waterford supporters getting behind their team

How many goals have we missed at this stage?

WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D:D

Munster Minor Champions 2010 & 2011

Clare 1-20 Waterford 3-9

Will you wait until the final whistle :D

can't throw it away from here can they?

• Advertisement

How many goals have we missed at this stage?

does it look like i give a fcuk now :DCHAMPIONS

Woohoo, back to back minor titles, well done to all involved

Woo congrats to the lads :D brilliant stuff :D
    Gwan the Banner!

Well done Clare a great victory for ye,well deserved,the hard work been done at under age level in the county is paying dividends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great result. C'MON THE BANNER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Delighted. Fair play to all involved.

On another topic Davy is getting slaughtered over on the Waterford thread.

He's their's until the end of the season, then he's back to us :(

He's their's until the end of the season, then he's back to us :(

He's not Clares new manager is he? :eek:

I've been informed by someone with a lot of information in Clare GAA circles that the deal has been done, they are just waiting for Waterford to be out of the championship.

Personally I don't think Davy Fitz been appointed Clare manager would be a good move for Clare hurling.

I'd agree completely, I think it's about time (7 years too late at least) that we cut the ties to the team of the 90s, we've had the Captain, both selectors and 2 corner forwards as managers, now we're going for the goalie. With the exception of Mike Mac, none of whom have had an experience of inter-county management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I've been informed by someone with a lot of information in Clare GAA circles that the deal has been done, they are just waiting for Waterford to be out of the championship.

F*ck that sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I'd agree completely, I think it's about time (7 years too late at least) that we cut the ties to the team of the 90s, we've had the Captain, both selectors and 2 corner forwards as managers, now we're going for the goalie. With the exception of Mike Mac, none of whom have had an experience of inter-county management.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

To be fair to Fitzy's he does have inter county experience at this stage
    2 years with waterford
    AND
    If he does become Clare manager we might see an improvement in the Clare goal keeping standards??

(though the Waterford goalie let in 7 this evening so..... )

The 1 thing that we can be sure of it a proper setup, we might get a conditioning & hurling coach, maybe even a goal keeping coach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement