Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a season ticket €120? That would be €240 for my wife and I. A lot of dosh for the privilege of being able purchase a ticket. On top of the 50 a head for our club membership.
    No it's fairly cheap actually. It's in no way expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I've a couple of terrace tickets if anyone wants them, face value of course, just need to offload them. Please send on a private message if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Terrace tickets for both ends are still on sale as of lunchtime Thursday 02/08, looks now like this might not sell out, for fans trying to better the tickets they picked up in Monday's scramble, can any spares they have be sold back on the day in Thurles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Terrace tickets for both ends are still on sale as of lunchtime Thursday 02/08, looks now like this might not sell out, for fans trying to better the tickets they picked up in Monday's scramble, can any spares they have be sold back on the day in Thurles?

Back to who?

Back to who?

The Gaa.

The Gaa.

They won't unfortunately. I'd say there's going to be a good few spare terrace tickets around.

3 Killinan end terrace tickets for sale - 1 adult @ €25, 2 x Juvenile @ €5 each. PM if interested. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just checked tickets.ie and there are terrace tickets available for both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Any reports of injuries from the Clare camp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Terrace tickets still up now on Tickets.ie

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Terrace tickets still up now on Tickets.ie

The county is awash with people trying to get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any reports of injuries from the Clare camp?

David Mac is carrying a injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Parking based on the main routes & respective counties for Sunday, hope this helps.

I put it in our thread so said I'd throw it in here too.

The county is awash with people trying to get rid of them.

The longer the week is going on the more of an absolute fcuking shambles Monday’s online only sale is proving to be. For an organization used to regularly staging large-scale matches it is just not good enough.

The longer the week is going on the more of an absolute fcuking shambles Monday’s online only sale is proving to be. For an organization used to regularly staging large-scale matches it is just not good enough.

Yea. Croke Park rightly shafted their members with their carry on this week and have caused a lot of people and clubs to be seriously out of pocket. At 1pm Monday, with no stand tickets available online and most clubs under the impression that they could not access any tickets for their members, they rightly bought terrace tickets in order to at least have something for the match. Now a lot of those terrace tickets won't be used.

It's getting harder and harder to defend the suits in Croke Park and their decision making.

at least the GAA are staying consistent with one thing, being a total fcuking shambles, over the last month or two especially.

if it wasn't for the likes of the performances being put on by those 4 teams last weekend perhaps taking a bit of the attention off the absolute farce that has been that organisation of late, we'd all be following the cricket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare aren't naming their team until just before throw in on Sunday. Galway have named an unnamed team.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭roashter

Clareman wrote: »
    Clare aren't naming their team until just before throw in on Sunday. Galway have named an unnamed team.

Both teams will have had to submit a squad of 26 by Thursday evening. They don't have to announce the 26 until some time before throw in. I expect Clare will name the same 26, with same numbers but I expect that there'll be 1 change, and maybe more if there are injuries we are not aware of.

For Galway, if McInerney is injured then I'm surprised they named him as he cannot now be replaced. It's not that no. 27 would be getting a game but that it gives someone on the fringes a place on the 26. By naming the same 26 Galway are not giving anything -similiar to Clare.

It'll be the same 26 on both sides, the likes of McInerney will be given every chance to be fit, even for use as a sub.

I'd imagine both county boards would be willing to take a fine for a last minute change to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

roashter wrote:
    Both teams will have had to submit a squad of 26 by Thursday evening. They don't have to announce the 26 until some time before throw in. I expect Clare will name the same 26, with same numbers but I expect that there'll be 1 change, and maybe more if there are injuries we are not aware of.

For Galway, if McInerney is injured then I'm surprised they named him as he cannot now be replaced. It's not that no. 27 would be getting a game but that it gives someone on the fringes a place on the 26. By naming the same 26 Galway are not giving anything -similiar to Clare.

Its a strange move nonetheless naming McInerney in their squad if he has an outside chance of being fit. If its a torn calf he has no business being on a field this year. If its just strained, he will still be seriously hampered running. It seems they are just going with the 25 fit guys in order to hold some sort of discreet advantage. They sound a little rattled to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

letowski wrote: »
    Its a strange move nonetheless naming McInerney in their squad if he has an outside chance of being fit. If its a torn calf he has no business being on a field this year. If its just strained, he will still be seriously hampered running. It seems they are just going with the 25 fit guys in order to hold some sort of discreet advantage. They sound a little rattled to me.
    I'd say both sides have the mind games troubles. They would both fancy their chances against Limerick and it is a big job for management to keep them focussed. They can't lock the players away from the hype either as John Kiely will find with the Limerick lads

It's complete mind games, clare will be giving away a big clue as to their game plan by naming their team,as would Galway. For a replay I don't see any harm in leaving it until just before throw in to name the team

I also think Clare won the mind games the last day with the change of Galvin to sweeper, Kelly to midfield and leaving Galway out on the pitch waiting

Couldn't agree more with Clareman.

Rattled is the wrong word to use imo.

It's mind games, plain and simple.

We aren't just going to hand ye our team sheet on Thursday night exactly as it will be on the day, nor have ye to us.

Nor do Galway think Clare would be naive enough to take that team as a given, it's simply just to keep ye guessing.

I myself can't see Gearoid Mc featuring at all, but sure even if his name alone in the team makes the slightest difference, or similarly with ye not naming yet team, then it'll be worthwhile for either one of us come 4PM Sunday.

In games as tight as these, mind games can make a difference, even if only minimal. As mentioned by Clareman, ye won them the last day out and given the examples he's mentioned, they made a huge difference in the end.

Either team would be foolish not to take every inch of an advantage they can take, and that's just the way it is and is going to be right up until that final whistle on Sunday.

I think the main issue is that Galway have highly questionable depth in the backs, so I don't see the advantage of naming a 25 man squad. Especially as Daithi Burke and Adrian Tuohy are both carrying injuries also. Like their subs the last day were Loftus who is more of a more midfielder and Killeen who wouldn't be a great back up player. I guess we will see but their squad looks stretched to me. If Clare are their abouts in the last 20, we could have a good chance as we have impact subs across every line.

• Advertisement

I would imagine Clare know exactly who and how they will play from the start tomorrow, with the injuries Galway have they mightn't know exactly who'll start but they'll know how they'll play. You'd be able to tell alot about Clare's tactics tomorrow by who plays. I'd imagine it Davy Fitz could start tomorrow and that'd be the only change but we won't know for sure until around 1.45 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I would imagine Clare know exactly who and how they will play from the start tomorrow, with the injuries Galway have they mightn't know exactly who'll start but they'll know how they'll play. You'd be able to tell alot about Clare's tactics tomorrow by who plays. I'd imagine it Davy Fitz could start tomorrow and that'd be the only change but we won't know for sure until around 1.45 tomorrow.

Chances are Canning will start at full forward if not fully mobile. We are vulnerable there. Put him on Jack Browne and we have a problem under the ball.
    We need a big one from Podge tomorrow. He has well managed the last day and we need to get a grip on the game out the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Figerty wrote: »
    Chances are Canning will start at full forward if not fully mobile. We are vulnerable there. Put him on Jack Browne and we have a problem under the ball.
    We need a big one from Podge tomorrow. He has well managed the last day and we need to get a grip on the game out the field

i reckon canning will go in the corner , and most likely jack brownes corner , management would be wise to keep patch on him just to keep the free count down

very surprised to hear mcinerney is on the galway panel , he will be a huge loss for them but if he is named he must not be that badly injured as first taught

will podge start? surly shannaher caused enough problems to galway last week to warrant a nod , he also played over 30 minutes of hurling last week so fitness wont be a probem ,

regardless of the scoreline we need to introduce ian galvin earlier then the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

letowski wrote: »
    I think the main issue is that Galway have highly questionable depth in the backs, so I don't see the advantage of naming a 25 man squad. Especially as Daithi Burke and Adrian Tuohy are both carrying injuries also. Like their subs the last day were Loftus who is more of a more midfielder and Killeen who wouldn't be a great back up player. I guess we will see but their squad looks stretched to me. If Clare are their abouts in the last 20, we could have a good chance as we have impact subs across every line.
    The team given to the media might be different to the official 26 names sent to Croke Park.

caddy16 wrote: »
    The team given to the media might be different to the official 26 names sent to Croke Park.

I think (stress think, could be wrong) that the media don't have to be informed of the teams but the opposition county board has to get a copy at the same time as Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Canning in the full forward line would be worst case scenario for Clare, I don't think any of our full back line could mark him and any time he goes out to take a free will take an age which will completely slow down the game for us which won't suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If Canning goes to full forward, I'd be tempted to drop Cleary a few yards to stay in front of him and have Galvin drop to 6.

Another option would be switch David McInerney out to the HB line, only problem is we haven't really rotated positions alot during the league.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If Canning goes to full forward, I'd be tempted to drop Cleary a few yards to stay in front of him and have Galvin drop to 6.

Another option would be switch David McInerney out to the HB line, only problem is we haven't really rotated positions alot during the league.

First thing I thought if a restricted Canning going to full forward was for Cleary to mark him, it'd "almost" be perfect, but the fear would be the other Galway forwards running through, Cleary wouldn't know what to do.

Clare have to start solidly tomorrow, and so much of this is going to stem from the puckouts again and building a platform to launch attacks. Galway didnt press full court on Clare's puckouts and we went on to win all of them in the second half. Clare certainly are not getting this luxury tomorrow. Also Horgan definitely does not suit us, he has no time for quick puckoiys as Tuohy found out against Wexford.

It will all come down to who's terms the game will be played on. If Galway keep things tight and structured, they will run over us. That's why again surviving the first 20 minutes is crucial as games nowadays dont open up loose til later. An idea might be is to start with Galvin deep, hold out, then transition to more of an orthodox formation when things loosen up. The management need to be careful though if they decide not to have Galvin deep because Galway dont align their attack with 6 forwards, Canning, Mannion and Cooney play miles from goal most of the time. Its important someone is holding the center so our full back line is not exposed, that the backs defend as a unit.

i reckon canning will go in the corner , and most likely jack brownes corner , management would be wise to keep patch on him just to keep the free count down

very surprised to hear mcinerney is on the galway panel , he will be a huge loss for them but if he is named he must not be that badly injured as first taught

will podge start? surly shannaher caused enough problems to galway last week to warrant a nod , he also played over 30 minutes of hurling last week so fitness wont be a probem ,

regardless of the scoreline we need to introduce ian galvin earlier then the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game

There's no loss to Galway naming McInerney. 26 sub,. they brought back on lads last week. Even if the went to extra time again, they can do have 10 subs and not use him.
    Start Podge, keep Shanagher back. He can't be match fit yet. Hard to hold Podge two days in a row.

Galway had an unbelievable amount of wides last week, a lot of those wides could be put down to the "Hill End" but won't be an issue tomorrow. Our middle third has to stand up for the first 15 minutes tomorrow, last week we needed a lot of things for Galway to go wrong and everything for us to go right, well the same thing goes for tomorrow.

There's no loss to Galway naming McInerney. 26 sub,. they brought back on lads last week. Even if the went to extra time again, they can do have 10 subs and not use him.
    Start Podge, keep Shanagher back. He can't be match fit yet. Hard to hold Podge two days in a row.

Shanagher can't start, he just can't, if anything I'd start McGrath instead of Podge but that would only because Podge would be a better sub than McGrath, McGrath was poor last week

Shanagher can't start, he just can't, if anything I'd start McGrath instead of Podge but that would only because Podge would be a better sub than McGrath, McGrath was poor last week

McGrath was indecisive on the ball.. but look at how much ball he got hold off last week compared to others. He probably had more possession that Malone had in the entire game.
    He made one great block down on the cusack stand side. He is very close to firing on all cylinders but seems to lack a bit of extra form at the moment.
    Hopefully he will click, because if he does he is a massive threat.

I'd keep podge on He opens the space for others, he just seem to not have a fast first touch last week. He will bounce back; I wouldn't like to be marking him tomorrow.

McGrath was indecisive on the ball.. but look at how much ball he got hold off last week compared to others. He probably had more possession that Malone had in the entire game.
    He made one great block down on the cusack stand side. He is very close to firing on all cylinders but seems to lack a bit of extra form at the moment.
    Hopefully he will click, because if he does he is a massive threat.

I'd keep podge on He opens the space for others, he just seem to not have a fast first touch last week. He will bounce back; I wouldn't like to be marking him tomorrow.

I agree 100% mcgrath confidence is gone, only hope he has its as a starter not a sub

Galway had an unbelievable amount of wides last week, a lot of those wides could be put down to the "Hill End" but won't be an issue tomorrow. Our middle third has to stand up for the first 15 minutes tomorrow, last week we needed a lot of things for Galway to go wrong and everything for us to go right, well the same thing goes for tomorrow.

i regard you as a great poster on here but you panic too much :pac: if we lose tomorrow it will be by the minimum . we were on top of em all last week .....relax

• Advertisement

McGrath has been very poor for a long time now and really ought not to be on the match day squad. He's brought on every game and tries his heart out but his passing is terrible and his pace is completely gone...he tries to compensate by running straight at his man but usually just over carries. I'd have Shanagher as first sub and McCarthy next

i regard you as a great poster on here but you panic too much :pac: if we lose tomorrow it will be by the minimum . we were on top of em all last week .....relax

We won the last 56 minutes by 8 points, all we have to do is keep that up :pac::cool:

last ounce boys ....to the very last ounce , Hon the Banner :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gutted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Gutted :(

The ref nearly saved Clare and rode Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Only inches in it, did great to pull it back after a dismal first half. SoD’s goal had shades of 2013 off it :o

There’s an All Ireland in this group of players in coming years.

Noveight wrote: »
    Only inches in it, did great to pull it back after a dismal first half. SoD’s goal had shades of 2013 off it :o

There’s an All Ireland in this group of players in coming years.

Not if their decision making remains so poor. Most other top teams would have sunk Galway today but the wides from Clare were awfull. I don't see the likes of Kelly improving his decision making. Look at that last pass into Shangaher..shocking. If he dropped it short then Shanagher would have had a chance.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Not if their decision making remains so poor. Most other top teams would have sunk Galway today but the wides from Clare were awfull. I don't see the likes of Kelly improving his decision making. Look at that last pass into Shangaher..shocking. If he dropped it short then Shanagher would have had a chance.

Arguably the width of a post away from an AI final today, no doubt but their day will come and I’d say sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Noveight wrote: »
    Arguably the width of a post away from an AI final today, no doubt but their day will come and I’d say sooner rather than later.

First 25 mins on both games they were destroyed and 2 games v Cork this year. They are very beatable.

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    First 25 mins on both games they were destroyed and 2 games v Cork this year. They are very beatable.

Took last years all ireland champions almost three hours of hurling to beat them by a single score. There are promising signs there, I believe the future is bright for this current group.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement