Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Kilmaley were impressive, considering they were much the smaller & lighter team in their contest.
    Quite a few young lads starting also.
    Mikey O Neill at centre forward had an excellent game I thought.

Ik or Newmarket will be in a relegation semi final

yeah taught sean o loughlin was excellent as was mikey o malley in midfield,
    as for inagh , they had 40 players on there panel last saturday , there second team beat scariff in the intermidate championship they really should have no excuess the next day out , newmarket have really been hampered by the newmarket celtic run in the fai cup , stephan kelly came off the bench and scored 1-1 he probably had very little hurling done all year they will have to start him the next day

colin guilfoyle is probably better suited to the half forward line also i dont think he was switched out there at any stage saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

yeah taught sean o loughlin was excellent as was mikey o malley in midfield,
    as for inagh , they had 40 players on there panel last saturday , there second team beat scariff in the intermidate championship they really should have no excuess the next day out , newmarket have really been hampered by the newmarket celtic run in the fai cup , stephan kelly came off the bench and scored 1-1 he probably had very little hurling done all year they will have to start him the next day

colin guilfoyle is probably better suited to the half forward line also i dont think he was switched out there at any stage saturday

The strength of Newmarket Celtic coupled with the number of players they have on the Oscar Traynor certainly isn't helping the hurling there.

Although Kilmaley were very good, with a bit more composure that game could have been a lot closer. Newmarket had 2 decent chances from high balls into the square that were put over, not open goal chances by any means, but still chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another solid win for Eire Óg today against the mills. Just pulled away in the last few minutes but the mills were in a great position half way through the second half.
    Unfortunately we loose SOD to Harvard now though.

Massive shock in the game prior to that where Wolfe tones scored a goal with the last puck of the game to put clonlara out and into the relegation battle.

Clooney had a fairly comfortable win over Kilmaley which I was surprised about.

The game of the weekend lived up to its billing as ballyea eventually got over cratloe after extra time. Looks like Tony put on a masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Another solid win for Eire Óg today against the mills. Just pulled away in the last few minutes but the mills were in a great position half way through the second half.

Massive shock in the game prior to that where Wolfe tones scored a goal with the last puck of the game to put clonlara out and into the relegation battle.

The game of the weekend lived up to its billing as ballyea eventually got over cratloe after extra time. Looks like Tony put on a masterclass.

1-11 from play is unbelievable going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Eire Og fully deserved the win, fitter, stronger and more of a plan than The Mills..Russell got some nice points, and Reidy is tough out.
    Enjoyable game..
    Some of the refereeing was terrible at times..as for the overweight 60 year old linesman...

I think Eire Og will give some ot the fancied teams a rattle..

• Advertisement

Niallers87 wrote: »

i actually think he scored more , he must have scored atleast 5 or 6 points in extra time , it was probably his best performance in a ballyea shirt , he was unmarkable , cratloe started out with podge marking him , then tried liam markham , conor mcgrath , diarmuid ryan ( who did well enough before he got injured ) gary brennan had an excellent game too in wing forward as a target man for the puck outs , excellent game all round though some brillent scores on both sides

Niallers87 wrote: »

in the game before it both clooney quinn and kilmaley could only muster up 1-13 from play between both sides , clooney scored 0-7 out of 0-18 while kilmaley who were very poor managed only 1-06 from a total of 1-10 from play very poor scoring , would have to think newmarket could be in a spot of bother considering how poor they were last week against kilmaley

clooney are a tough outfit to be fair and there full back line is excellent today espically bryan mcnamara was out standing i taugh , but before tony kellys master class in the second game i taught the standerd of long range free taking from peter duggan was worth the admission alone , he must have scored 3, 80 yeard plus frees out of his 0-11 points scored

clonlaras defeat to wolfe tones no longer comes as a surprise that club really needs to gets act together fast , they are now in the relegation semi final and with them anything is possible , wolfe tones look a deacent side this year , once they can find a way to keep there soccer players intrested for a few more weeks anyway they could barly field a team during the league

another eventfull day in the club championship , this morning inagh kilnamona brushed aside a poor newmarket on fergus side ,the young mid clare side will still take a lot of beating before the year is out , the final score of 3-17 to 0-17 points in there favor barry coote, david fitzgeard and niall arthur with the goals for inagh

the bridge were made work alot harder today then there first round win over clonlara last week , two early goals from cillian mullians and conor o doherty had the north clare men 2-06 to 7 points up at half time , once again the bridge found there 6th gear and dug deep to see off crusheen with a jamie shannahan master class with another 0-13 points today 10 from frees final score 0-21 to 2-13 in favor of the bridge

Colin corbett was tullas hero with a last minute goal in there north clare darby win over whitegate in broadford this evening , they advance to round 3 as a result after a narrow 1-15 to 1-14 win , whitegate will join clonlara newmarket and doorabarefield in the relegation play offs , the parrish were beaten by 3 points on a 1-19 to 1-16 scoreline in sixmilebridge today , baby steps in terms of progress for the magpies but no doubt huge progress on the last few years , its pretty much anyones guess on who will drop down , whitegate will probably be the favorites but on there form thisevening it would seem there are one or two sides in bigger trouble then them the draw will be huge tomorow night , tense times ahead for newmarket espically

few interviews after the weekends games , seanda morey after the bridges tough win over crusheen , fergal hegerty after inaghK beat newmarket comfortbly , tony kelly after he shot out the lights yesterday and sent ballyea into the 1/4 finals ' and sean stack was happy to see clooney quinn lose there flash in the pan tag

• Advertisement

another eventfull day in the club championship , this morning inagh kilnamona brushed aside a poor newmarket on fergus side ,the young mid clare side will still take a lot of beating before the year is out , the final score of 3-17 to 0-17 points in there favor barry coote, david fitzgeard and niall arthur with the goals for inagh

the bridge were made work alot harder today then there first round win over clonlara last week , two early goals from cillian mullians and conor o doherty had the north clare men 2-06 to 7 points up at half time , once again the bridge found there 6th gear and dug deep to see off crusheen with a jamie shannahan master class with another 0-13 points today 10 from frees final score 0-21 to 2-13 in favor of the bridge

Colin corbett was tullas hero with a last minute goal in there north clare darby win over whitegate in broadford this evening , they advance to round 3 as a result after a narrow 1-15 to 1-14 win , whitegate will join clonlara newmarket and doorabarefield in the relegation play offs , the parrish were beaten by 3 points on a 1-19 to 1-16 scoreline in sixmilebridge today , baby steps in terms of progress for the magpies but no doubt huge progress on the last few years , its pretty much anyones guess on who will drop down , whitegate will probably be the favorites but on there form thisevening it would seem there are one or two sides in bigger trouble then them the draw will be huge tomorow night , tense times ahead for newmarket espically

Whitewater have been here before, they turned Newmarket over in the relegation semi final 2 yes ago.
    Newmarket will also be missing their 14 from today (Guilfoyle??) He got a straight red in injury time.
    Barefield for me would be favourites for the drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

not sure how they plan on doing , the last time there were 12 teams in the championship was back in the 90s , that time basically 4 teams got a bye to round 2 and 8 teams played off in round 1 the winners of round 1 would meet one of the teams in round 2

if this was to happen the 4 teams into round 2 should be semi finalists from the previous year

the 8 losers of round 1 and 2 would make up the losers round with the 4 winners progressing to the 1/4 final

the 4 winners of round 2 progress to the 1/4 final

i doubt the county board will entertain the idea of a group stage championship
    lissycasey had a motion turned down to make this years championship 4 groups of 4 with the bottom team of each group relegated

far better way to cut the number of teams in my opinion but the county board put it down to too many games

Is the senior/inter football championship on next weekend? Just wondering what day Naomh Eoin are playing?

Whitewater have been here before, they turned Newmarket over in the relegation semi final 2 yes ago.
    Newmarket will also be missing their 14 from today (Guilfoyle??) He got a straight red in injury time.
    Barefield for me would be favourites for the drop.

yeah it was guilfoyle , he got sent off at the end of the game , huge loss for them as he is one of only a few scoring options in open play , he had a good game epically in the second half when they staged a mini comback , joesphs have a huge panel its amazing to think they could go back down again you would have taught they have enough about them to get over clarecastle today at the least , they have the likes of seanie mcmahon on the sideline and players like david conroy , alan o neill , keelan butler and leo duggan , to me them players should offer enough to keep any side up , had a feeling they could be in trouble after how hard work they made the division 2 final win against sixmilebridge's second string

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is the senior/inter football championship on next weekend? Just wondering what day Naomh Eoin are playing?

yeah its every second week now in the championship , football next week hurling the week after , naomh eoin are playing kildysart next weekend the time and venue will be confirmed tomorrow night , keep a look out on the kildysart facebook page as they record or broadcast all there championship games there , the quality is not great but it is what every club should be doing , the sooner clubs catch on the better espically with so many people away from home

sorry edit , all games both intermeadite and senior championship are on saturday next week as to avoid a clash with the football all ireland on sunday

Intermediate championship round up , big wins for feakle and tubber , while corofin will be quietly confidant of challenging after a big win yesterday over the combo's second string , sixmilebridge will always go close at this level and are again through to another 1/4 final

scariff bounce back after a bad first round loss to inagh , cratloe's reserves live to fight another day , ruan are probably thinking the unthinkable tonight as they head for the relegation playoffs along with . killanena, newmarket 2nds, and clonlaras 2nds

Intermediate Hurling Champ Winners Rd
    Sixmilebridge 3 – 20 Bodyke 2 - 14
    Feakle 0 – 14 Broadford 1 - 10
    Tubber 2 – 17 Smith O’Brien’s 0 - 14
    Corofin 3 – 18 Inagh-Kilnamona 1 - 15

Intermediate Hurling Champ Losers Rd
    Cratloe 1 – 13 Killanena 0 - 15
    Scariff 5 – 20 Clonlara 0 - 11
    Clarecastle 1 – 12 Newmarket-on-Fergus 0 - 09
    Parteen 0 – 16 Ruan 0 - 10

feakle and tubber probably the strongest clubs at the moment , along way to go however

Corofin would have the potential to push Feakle but that would depend on football, think the majority of their team are dual so progress in football might determine how they fare out in the hurling.
    Corofin V Kilfenora in intermediate football next weekend should be neighbourly, Cian O Dea hurling with Corofin adding to the mix.

Ideally for Feakle, today's win over Broadford would have been knockout. I still think they could topple Feakle in the latter stages, or at least be a big threat to them

Corofin would have the potential to push Feakle but that would depend on football, think the majority of their team are dual so progress in football might determine how they fare out in the hurling.
    Corofin V Kilfenora in intermediate football next weekend should be neighbourly, Cian O Dea hurling with Corofin adding to the mix.

Ideally for Feakle, today's win over Broadford would have been knockout. I still think they could topple Feakle in the latter stages, or at least be a big threat to them

i would fancy them to beat them later in the year too , but also think the bridge's 2nd team could knock one out befere they get the chance to meet each other again , tubber will be tough also , to be fair them 3 teams could probably do better then the way clonlara , newmarket and barefield are performing at the moment which says alot really

corofin lose next week in the football , which they did to kilfenora a few weeks ago in the division 3 final and as you say a real threat at this level , although i reckon kilfenora deserve to go down on there antics after that match that night alone the afore mentioned o'dea the culprit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Great coverage Windy - well done and thanks. Just a small thing though - neither Tulla nor Whitegate would consider themselves to be even close to North Clare!

I was in the park yesterday but was there for the first one today - Aidan McCarthy was savage. 7 points from play. Bad enough for Newmarket to be in relegation but to have Guilfoyle sent off on a straight red is a fierce blow too.

Lastly, I had a very good view of what David Reidy did last week to get sent off and I've seen the video evidence - I still have no idea how his appeal was one!

Great coverage Windy - well done and thanks. Just a small thing though - neither Tulla nor Whitegate would consider themselves to be even close to North Clare!

I was in the park yesterday but was there for the first one today - Aidan McCarthy was savage. 7 points from play. Bad enough for Newmarket to be in relegation but to have Guilfoyle sent off on a straight red is a fierce blow too.

Lastly, I had a very good view of what David Reidy did last week to get sent off and I've seen the video evidence - I still have no idea how his appeal was one!

well i doubt you can get much further north then whitegate village in this county :pac: its not even a darby if you think about it both parrishis are miles appart ,

i reguard guilfoyle as a serious tallent in the making if a possition is found for the guy , the clare u21 management had him at full back at one stage , his best possition is probably wing forward but the blues play himself and stephen kelly as a 2 man full forward line and i think he could score more out the field .

himself and diarmuid ryan will be huge additions to the clare side in the next few years but you cant dismiss the effect newmarket celtic has had on the blues this year they will probably avoid the drop but will need to find a ballence next year, guilfoyle is a huge loss the next day out though

i didnt see what happened in the eire og game last week with reidy so cant really comment , if i was to comment on a refree over the weekend , jarlath donellan had a brillient game reffing cratloe v ballyea , but hte sending off of jamie arthur was harsh , while it was a wild swing the player was 100% commited to playing the ball and should be over turned

well i doubt you can get much further north then whitegate village in this county :pac: its not even a darby if you think about it both parrishis are miles appart ,

i reguard guilfoyle as a serious tallent in the making if a possition is found for the guy , the clare u21 management had him at full back at one stage , his best possition is probably wing forward but the blues play himself and stephen kelly as a 2 man full forward line and i think he could score more out the field .

himself and diarmuid ryan will be huge additions to the clare side in the next few years but you cant dismiss the effect newmarket celtic has had on the blues this year they will probably avoid the drop but will need to find a ballence next year, guilfoyle is a huge loss the next day out though

i didnt see what happened in the eire og game last week with reidy so cant really comment , if i was to comment on a refree over the weekend , jarlath donellan had a brillient game reffing cratloe v ballyea , but hte sending off of jamie arthur was harsh , while it was a wild swing the player was 100% commited to playing the ball and should be over turned

Don't think Guilfolyle is missing at all now. Something to do with the relegation play offs being a separate competition so his one match ban will actually be the first round of next years championship.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the draw takes place??

Pretty sure it's on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

6:30 this evening in Clare Abbey. I presume they'll be doing the Intermediate draw as well...

http://www.clare.fm/featured-2/draws-evening-next-round-clare-shc/

Pretty sure it's on tonight.

Ya draws are tonight according to Clare FM Twitter yesterday.

Round 3 of senior hurling. Games down for 8/9 Sept.
    Kilmaley V Tills
    Cratloe V Clarecastle
    Crusheen V Inagh-kilnamona
    O C Mills V Wolfe Tones

In the relegation playoffs
    Whitegate V Newmarket
    At Joseph's Doorabarefield V Clonlara
    Both on same weekend as above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Round 3 of senior hurling. Games down for 8/9 Sept.
    Kilmaley V Tills
    Cratloe V Clarecastle
    Crusheen V Inagh-kilnamona
    O C Mills V Wolfe Tones

In the relegation playoffs
    Whitegate V Newmarket
    At Joseph's Doorabarefield V Clonlara
    Both on same weekend as above

Wow, some match-ups, hard to call many of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

just watched TG4's Monday nights GAA highlights
    Clare beat Tipperary in a final, don't know if it was under 14, 15, or 16 or what tournament it even was

anyone have any idea what this could have been?

supernova5 wrote: »
    just watched TG4's Monday nights GAA highlights
    Clare beat Tipperary in a final, don't know if it was under 14, 15, or 16 or what tournament it even was

anyone have any idea what this could have been?

It was the u15 arrabawn tournament. Think it’s basically the u15 all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

How is the football championship working now with the 5 teams being relegated? I know that the 4 teams that lose the first round losers matches are automatically gone but what happens with the teams that actually win these games? For example if Eire Og beat Doora-Barefield are Eire Og back in the championship then against whoever loses from one of Doonbeg v Miltown, Lissycasey v KIB, Ennistymon v Breckans or Clondegad v Cratloe? If Doonbeg lose to Miltown are they then out of the championship with Miltown being in the semi finals? Sorry if this has been clarified before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The losers of the group of 4 that haven't made the quarter finals play off to decide the last team to go down.

finbarrk wrote: »
    The losers of the group of 4 that haven't made the quarter finals play off to decide the last team to go down.

Thanks, so does that mean that 5 of the 8 teams that lost their first round games will be going down? That means that the likes of Eire Og and Cooraclare can't win the championship. Is Doonbeg v Miltown regarded as a quarter final as they won their first round games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

If you Win R1 (3 weeks ago) and R2 (this weekend) you are quarter final material
    If you lose R1 and lose R2, you are gone - this is set in stone
    If you lose R1 and win R2 you are in a play-off right?

And for those 4 teams in the play-off, one goes down, so what's the format there, 2 games or 3?

I think I need a venn-diagram to get this :D

Shane_ef wrote:
    If you Win R1 (3 weeks ago) and R2 (this weekend) you are quarter final material If you lose R1 and lose R2, you are gone - this is set in stone If you lose R1 and win R2 you are in a play-off right?

Going by this it seems that all of the first round losers are now out of the championship and are only playing to avoid relegation, is this correct? Paddy power is currently giving odds based on all 16 teams being still in the championship

To further complicate this, if Eire Og win tomorrow and are still in the championship I presume they would be playing whoever loses from the winners round ties e.g. loser of Doonbeg v Miltown. If this is the case how do they sort out the final team being relegated, as in could Doonbeg/Miltown be involved in the relegation playoffs? I could be completely wrong in all of this but I'm just not sure of how its supposed to play out

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

Boots234 wrote: »
    Going by this it seems that all of the first round losers are now out of the championship and are only playing to avoid relegation, is this correct? Paddy power is currently giving odds based on all 16 teams being still in the championship

To further complicate this, if Eire Og win tomorrow and are still in the championship I presume they would be playing whoever loses from the winners round ties e.g. loser of Doonbeg v Miltown. If this is the case how do they sort out the final team being relegated, as in could Doonbeg/Miltown be involved in the relegation playoffs? I could be completely wrong in all of this but I'm just not sure of how its supposed to play out
    No all 1st round losers can still go on to win it outright. The 4 teams that lose in rd 1 & 2 are gone.

The 4 winners from the winners section this weekend are into the quarters. The 4 losers from the winners section play the 4 winers from the losers section - the winners here go into quarters and the 4 losers go into playoffs with one more team relegated.

caddy16 wrote:
    The 4 winners from the winners section this weekend are into the quarters. The 4 losers from the winners section play the 4 winers from the losers section - the winners here go into quarters and the 4 losers go into playoffs with one more team relegated.

So one of the teams that won their first round game two weeks ago could potentially get relegated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

So one of the teams that won their first round game two weeks ago could potentially get relegated?

Correct

And what way is the playoff working? Everyone plays everyone or just 2 games? loser of both there games is relegated?

01-08-6uy2f-6q7cd.jpg

From my understanding and the above replies info
    Look correct to everyone?

That seems to be my understanding also. Just seems a bit harsh that a team that win their first round game could still be relegated

Looks like Doora Barefield will be the first team to go down, they are 2-11 to 4 points down at half time to Eire Og

• Advertisement

That seems to be my understanding also. Just seems a bit harsh that a team that win their first round game could still be relegated

Is it not harsher that you are Done and dusted after 2 games if you loose back to back?

Doors Barefield, O'Currys, Wolfe Tones and Kilfenora relegated to intermediate for 2019

Doors Barefield, O'Currys, Wolfe Tones and Kilfenora relegated to intermediate for 2019

Ennistymon beat St. Breckans by about 2 11 to 09 & Cratloe beat Clonegad 1 13 to 1 12 in the Park.
    Ennistymon & Cratloe progress to Q finals having won both their 2 games while Breckans & Clonegad go into Round 3, they can still make A finals or go down (I think)

*Edited as I thought Kilfenora V Corofin was Intermediate championship

KIB beat Lissacasey 2 15 to 1 14 AET.
    Finished 1 11 a piece after 60mins

doora/barefield, o'currys kilfenora and wolfe tones are the unlucky losers in round two today they all will be playing intermeadite football next year one more team will be relegated from the losers of round 3 / senior b championship later in the year

kilmurry ibrickane were pushed all the way in there extra time win over lissycasey , Miltown had an impressive second half showing against doonbeg to advance to the 1/4 finals ,ennistymon and cratloe will join them after wins against st breckans and clondegad . the latter not living up th the hype beforehand cratloe holding off a late clondegad challenge to see themselves through

eire og bannshed there neighbours doora/barefield to the second teir with a huge 22 point win , corofin defeated kilfenora by 14 , cooraclare beat o'currys by 16 points , while kilmihil hed out to win by just two points against a spirted wolfe tones effort this evening

Clare SFC Winners Round Results

KIB 2-15 Lissycasey 1-14 AET

Cratloe 1-13 Clondegad 1-12

Ennistymon 2-11 St Breckans 0-9

Miltown 2-16 Doonbeg 0-11

Clare SFC Losers Round Results

Eire Óg 4-14 St Josephs 0-6

Kilmihil 1-11 Wolfe Tones 2-6

Cooraclare 4-12 v O’Curry’s 1-5

Corofin 2-18 Kilfenora 1-7.

Clare IFC Results

Kilrush 3-8 Coolmeen 0-9

Kilkee 1-17 Clarecastle 2-10

Shannon Gaels 3-11 Liscannor 1-6

Kildysart 1-12 Naomh Eoin 0-14

all games held a minutes silence and no teaam wore the no15 jersey as a mark of respect to Michael o'shea who lost his battle with cancer last week , fitting today also the two teams he managed/played for won today , kilkee booked themselves a semi final place with there win over clarecastle while kilmihil lived to fight another day after a narroww win over Wolfe Tones , as a netrual i would love to see kilkee bounce back and win the intermeadite this year as a tribute to him

https://twitter.com/ClareFM/status/1035960838996324352

Excellent post shane , very sad again today really nice touch by all the clubs ,Michael was probably one of the best footballers in the county over the last 19'or 20 years

Even though he hit the clare intercounty scene at the worst possible time he will always be remembered as an excellent inter county forward

Hopefully kilkee can kick on now in his absence and gain promotion in his name , it must have been a tough day for them today too

junior football championship semi final line up complete . kilmurry ibrickane and eire og's 2nd teams will be joind by killimer and michael cusacks in the last 4 , draw tomorrow night

https://twitter.com/claresport/status/1036259510556532737

Football round 3 draw

Lissycasey v Corofin
    Clondegad v Kilmihil
    Cooraclare v Doonbeg
    Eire Og v St.Breckans

Junior semi finals

KIB v Eire Og
    Killimer v Michael Cusacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Advertisement