Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The footballers will do well to stay up next season, I fear that next season could be the end of the road for the current management team but if they could stay in division 2 it would be great for football in the county. You'd be confident of our chances at home but we'll struggle to pick up points on the road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A big weekend this weekend with a lot of relegation matches on as well as round 3 of the senior,some scores below.

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1038788568448151553
    I thought Tulla could be the surprise team this year, shows what I know

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1038480367962017793
    Normal service is resumed for Cratloe

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1038458438500708352
    I didn't think Wolfe Tonnes were that bad

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1038418653589450752
    Newmarket will be glad not to be back in the playoff "final", Whitegate must be sick of being in it

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1038481790619602947
    Clonlara won't be happy to have been that close to being beaten, Barefield will have to rise their game again to beat Whitegate.

Draw for the next round of the hurling championship takes place tonight at 6.30. Sixmilebridge, Ballyea, Eire Óg and Clooney/Quin will be in 1 pot with Cratloe, Kilmaley, Mills and InaMona in the other. I think that there can't be a repeat pairing from round 2 but I'm not 100% sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Afaik there can't be repeat pairings 'where possible'. For example, if Eire Og v The Mills were drawn out early in the draw then they'd avoid each other but if they were the last two left then they would play each other. Not sure if this is definite but that's what I was told over the weekend.

Afaik there can't be repeat pairings 'where possible'. For example, if Eire Og v The Mills were drawn out early in the draw then they'd avoid each other but if they were the last two left then they would play each other. Not sure if this is definite but that's what I was told over the weekend.

I heard that if here is a posibility of a repeat pairing when it's time for the third quarter final that there isn't a draw and they set the matches, but I don't think anyone knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clooney Quin v Mills
    Ballyea v Inamona
    Eireog v kilmaley
    Cratloe v the bridge

Very even ties there and all close to call. On weekend of 23rd

Clooney Quin v Mills
    Ballyea v Inamona
    Eireog v kilmaley
    Cratloe v the bridge

Very even ties there and all close to call. On weekend of 23rd

You'd imagine the first team in each match would win but very even games, there won't be much in most of them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The Bridge will beat Cratloe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Is give Kilmaley a fair shot against Eire Og

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Is give Kilmaley a fair shot against Eire Og

I think this will be the game of the quarters, both teams play a similar game and play very quick hurling, hopefully there'll be some fine weather so the pitches will be in decent nick. I assume SoD will be missing for Eire Og

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Clareman wrote: »
    I think this will be the game of the quarters, both teams play a similar game and play very quick hurling, hopefully there'll be some fine weather so the pitches will be in decent nick. I assume SoD will be missing for Eire Og
    Has he gone to the US now? He played 2 weeks ago against the Mills

Keano wrote: »
    Has he gone to the US now? He played 2 weeks ago against the Mills

I don't know, I would have assumed that he'd be gone by now. Reidy is playing some great hurling at the moment so he'll probably pick up any slack that's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Likely winners Clooney Quin v Mills
    Ballyea
    Eire Og
    The bridge

Kilmaley may cause a wobbly for Eire Og tho

Clooney Quin got the Mills in the Junior A too, so that'd be on the Sunday, could be interesting depending on how the Senior goes

I think Cratloe will beat the Bridge. I think Ballyea are very dependant on Tony Kelly but he's almost unmarkable at club level, I don't think InaMona have anyone to mark him so they should win. Eire Og Kilmaley is probably the hardest 1 to call, it's been almost 30 years since Eire Og won the championship so I think it would be good if they won.

Useless piece of trivia, Colin Lynch was on both Kilmaley's and Eire Og's last championship winning sides, he captained Kilmaley and was a sub for Eire Og.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

What happened with Cooraclare footballers Killian Roche and Sean O'Donoghue? Saw somewhere fell off a bridge?

Gael85 wrote: »
    What happened with Cooraclare footballers Killian Roche and Sean O'Donoghue? Saw somewhere fell off a bridge?

A fairly serious Incident... I'd say it won't be discussed here for a little bit
    Hogan Stand link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Shane_ef wrote: »
    A fairly serious Incident... I'd say it won't be discussed here for a little bit
    Hogan Stand link

That understandable. Please God they be ok and to the Doonbeg lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’d love to share all your thoughts on the idea Eire Óg will get through Kilmaley but just can’t see it that easy. Will be very tight I think and as far as I know SOD is gone already. Whether he will fly back is another story.

Also heard today that Paul Flanagan had surgery so may be out for ballyea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Ya Paul Flanagan had an operation, think it was a shoulder or back issue?? Guessing that's him done till 2019.

I haven't seen Eire Og yet. Kilmaley seem to be playing a style similar enough to Cratloe, moving the ball through the lines at speed. If the weather holds up &, the pitch is dry they'll give any of the big teams left a fair run. They're a bit small and light however.

Football next weekend could be an issue for some clubs injury-wise.

• Advertisement

Should be good weekend in the football, here's hoping Kilrush don't try to cram in cars cattle crush style, with some people obviously wanting to head away between games.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gaatalk

So its now moving into late September next week and the weather currently unless picks up is showing signs of an unfortunate early winter.
    Anyways that means maybe slowly the hurt and disappointment of Clare loosing out on winning the Munster Final for the 2nd year in a row and of really leaving the all ireland behind them, is now easing a bit, as we look forward to getting Autumn/Early Winter and Halloween out of the way and fastly count down the clock to 2019 and the start of the new season with Munster & National Hurling Leagues.

The question is are Moloney and O'Connor staying on? as their 2 years is up. Does anyone know? Will there be new selectors? Will there be badly needed new panel of backs that we havent heard of before? Is anyone confident that Clare will win the All Ireland next year? Surely its the last chance for some of the 2013 lads and it will be a big year for Moloney and O'Connor their 3rd year in charge if they stay on. Nothing short of Clare winning the All Ireland will be seen as success. If Limericks panel won it this year then the Clare panel of 2013 and new forwards should have been pushing by now for a 2nd one.
    We have to find backs and find them this Autumn to complete a team for real contention next year. Has Clare County got any good emerging sticky backs thats the worry and concern in my view. Any opinions?

The Tipp winning team of 2010 came back 6 years later and won it two years ago in 2016.
    Likewise with Clare they won it in 2013 so six years will be next year too so in my opinion its next year or never I fear for this current panel at least. If only new backs could be found for this Clare team like the ones on the great clare team of the nineties it would take so much pressure off and stop the leaks which would with the forwards Clare have help make another breakthrough.

Hurling is my preferable gaa code to follow as a clareman but talking gaelic football would anyone be able to guide or direct where one could get a copy video of the Clare 1989 Co Senior Football Final between Kilkee & Doonbeg, the first game and the replay as well as extra time was a classic and was one of the greatest if not the greatest football club game ever played in Clare. The final was in Cooraclare in August and no pitch ever again outside of Ennis for an intercounty game will see the crowds that packed the 4 sides of Cooraclare pitch in 1989 and the traffic that arrived and departed on the roads to and from Cooraclare. I would love to watch this video or find some highlights on the internet. Anyone who can guide me would appreciate because I remember it was recorded.

Just heard today that no team in munster will have to play 3 weeks in a row next year and the championship will start a week earlier. Hopefully the All Ireland Final will be pushed back to first Sunday in September as there will be no Pope visiting. After this years trial playing the hurling final in mid august as expected in my view was too much. It seems ages ago now since Limerick won it and its only the 14th of September! Together with the wet weather it has made early September appear like Winter is in a nice few weeks despite the fact that we got a good summer upto nearly the end of July.

On another note I wonder will any of the 5 hurlibg counties objectives be to win Munster next year. Cork won 2 in a row and strange with their tradition and wit to flop then 2 yrs in a row.
    Limerick won a nice all ireland via the back door despite getting hammered by Clare in Munster.
    Clare lost the Munster Final two years in a row to the same county Cork and will not want to appear in a 3rd next year in the first place unless really feel like they will win it as if didnt would set a new negative record. The Clare team of 95 were in the same situation after loosing out in the 93 and 94 Munster Finals but it drove them on t win in 95! So does anyone want a munster title next year. Certainly Cork and Clare will have mixed feelings about it as Cork wont want t win 3 in a row and flop then to a back door team!
    Clare while badly need one wont want t be in final if loose it a 3rd yr in a row! Limerick won munster in 2013 and flopped then to Clare who went on t win all ireland and Limerick won the all ireland this year for first time in 50 years via the backdoor so might see that t way going forward given they lost in the 74, 80,94,96, all ireland finals and 13 semifinal after winning munster each time! So in my view winning munster round robin or straight knock out is a low priority id say next year. Tipperary who are in big transition or Waterford who are also not in a settled phase could yet either win munster bizzarely if they want it but DOES ANYBODY WANT it....?

I note that John Maughan the hero in 92 with Clare footballers has gone into management again with Div4 team Offaly. If Colm Collins doesnt remain on has Clare GAA missed the boat, would it have been the right time to have got Maughan back with Clare who might have had got them to mentally overcome playing below their capable performance to Kerry at a time when Cork Football is alarmingly poor and cannot even compete with Clare which is rare!
    They overcame kerry in 92 with belief with Maughan. They have not beaten Kerry since
    eventhough Clare are now in Div 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Gaatalk wrote: »
    I note that John Maughan the hero in 92 with Clare footballers has gone into management again with Div4 team Offaly. If Colm Collins doesnt remain on has Clare GAA missed the boat, would it have been the right time to have got Maughan back with Clare who might have had got them to mentally overcome playing below their capable performance to Kerry at a time when Cork Football is alarmingly poor and cannot even compete with Clare which is rare!
    They overcame kerry in 92 with belief with Maughan. They have not beaten Kerry since
    eventhough Clare are now in Div 2.

I thought you were posting as Viewpoint2 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Gaatalk wrote: »
    Just heard today that no team in munster will have to play 3 weeks in a row next year and the championship will start a week earlier. Hopefully the All Ireland Final will be pushed back to first Sunday in September as there will be no Pope visiting. After this years trial playing the hurling final in mid august as expected in my view was too much. It seems ages ago now since Limerick won it and its only the 14th of September! Together with the wet weather it has made early September appear like Winter is in a nice few weeks despite the fact that we got a good summer upto nearly the end of July.

On another note I wonder will any of the 5 hurlibg counties objectives be to win Munster next year. Cork won 2 in a row and strange with their tradition and wit to flop then 2 yrs in a row.
    Limerick won a nice all ireland via the back door despite getting hammered by Clare in Munster.
    Clare lost the Munster Final two years in a row to the same county Cork and will not want to appear in a 3rd next year in the first place unless really feel like they will win it as if didnt would set a new negative record. The Clare team of 95 were in the same situation after loosing out in the 93 and 94 Munster Finals but it drove them on t win in 95! So does anyone want a munster title next year. Certainly Cork and Clare will have mixed feelings about it as Cork wont want t win 3 in a row and flop then to a back door team!
    Clare while badly need one wont want t be in final if loose it a 3rd yr in a row! Limerick won munster in 2013 and flopped then to Clare who went on t win all ireland and Limerick won the all ireland this year for first time in 50 years via the backdoor so might see that t way going forward given they lost in the 74, 80,94,96, all ireland finals and 13 semifinal after winning munster each time! So in my view winning munster round robin or straight knock out is a low priority id say next year. Tipperary who are in big transition or Waterford who are also not in a settled phase could yet either win munster bizzarely if they want it but DOES ANYBODY WANT it....?

I hope they push the hurling final to the first weekend in August going forward. No need dragging out the championship for the sake of it. Condensed nature worked well this year with games coming thick and fast and the standard of the games meant that it suits hurlers playing regularly.

Outside of All Ireland finalists club championships can start from the beginning of August and I think the club players are happier with this. The way it was run off this year needs to be tweaked slightly but was the best setup for years.

We need to win a Munster. It has been way way too long. That should be our main aim. We also need to develop more depth to our squad. We had no real competition for defenders on the bench last year and could do with another puckout option.

It will be much harder to make the top 3 in Munster next year as Tipp will be much more motivated and Waterford won't be such a pushover.

I hope they push the hurling final to the first weekend in August going forward. No need dragging out the championship for the sake of it. Condensed nature worked well this year with games coming thick and fast and the standard of the games meant that it suits hurlers playing regularly.

Outside of All Ireland finalists club championships can start from the beginning of August and I think the club players are happier with this. The way it was run off this year needs to be tweaked slightly but was the best setup for years.

We need to win a Munster. It has been way way too long. That should be our main aim. We also need to develop more depth to our squad. We had no real competition for defenders on the bench last year and could do with another puckout option.

It will be much harder to make the top 3 in Munster next year as Tipp will be much more motivated and Waterford won't be such a pushover.

I agree with some of your comments re the backs. I dont agree with pushing it back the intercounty championship any further. Its forward it should be pushed to September.
    Like most neutrals wont be too bothered what clubs win or loose or be tuning into irish and winter on tg4. After all that the club finals in Clare or lots of counties so far have not been finished which begs the question why was the hurling championship over condensed for clubs and why did Clare play no champuonship club games in april either. Clubs wont be happy till no county team!

The hurlers have to play 3 games in a row next year but at least there's an extra break for everyone

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1040908054462701568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

The hurlers have to play 3 games in a row next year but at least there's an extra break for everyone

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1040908054462701568

We really should be reaching a Munster final again next year. Cork and Tipp at home, Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds which is as much a home game for us, and Waterford at a neutral venue.

We really should be reaching a Munster final again next year. Cork and Tipp at home, Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds which is as much a home game for us, and Waterford at a neutral venue.

I think Limerick showed this year that the route to take is the third place playoffs, I know a lot of people want a Munster title but I would be willing to do without 1, this year's one was there for the taking except for the idiotic warm up. It was pointed out to me recently that Clare have only won 4 All Ireland's in the past 100 years and 3 All Ireland's in the past 25, we're an All Ireland team really :D:D

I think we are really going to struggle next year, being honest we were going nowhere until Tipp hit the post. You have to win your home games, next year we have Cork (who have the beating of us every time we play) and Tipp who will have a new manager.

I think Limerick showed this year that the route to take is the third place playoffs, I know a lot of people want a Munster title but I would be willing to do without 1, this year's one was there for the taking except for the idiotic warm up. It was pointed out to me recently that Clare have only won 4 All Ireland's in the past 100 years and 3 All Ireland's in the past 25, we're an All Ireland team really :D:D

I think we are really going to struggle next year, being honest we were going nowhere until Tipp hit the post. You have to win your home games, next year we have Cork (who have the beating of us every time we play) and Tipp who will have a new manager.

Limerick Nearly left it too late against Cork
    Limerick won by 2 points against KK in a tight game
    Beat Tipp
    Draw against Cork
    Well beaten by Clare on the day.
    Hammered Waterford who were wrecked. No disrespect to Limerick.

Some of those results can be mapped to who had a rest week etc.

Winning a Munster champ isn't a disadvantage. Loosing a Munster final should be. Coming in third in the group should be also, but depending on the opposition it can be an advantage. Limerick had time to pull themselves together.

You can do the same for each county and find a cause for success. Waterford will be a different proposition next year.
    The extra week in Munster will change things a little. Who ever plays their first match on the second week is at a huge disadvantage. They team they play, win or lose, will have had a full game and time to work out flaws.

Figerty wrote: »
    Limerick Nearly left it too late against Cork
    Limerick won by 2 points against KK in a tight game
    Beat Tipp
    Draw against Cork
    Well beaten by Clare on the day.
    Hammered Waterford who were wrecked. No disrespect to Limerick.

Some of those results can be mapped to who had a rest week etc.

Winning a Munster champ isn't a disadvantage. Loosing a Munster final should be. Coming in third in the group should be also, but depending on the opposition it can be an advantage. Limerick had time to pull themselves together.

You can do the same for each county and find a cause for success. Waterford will be a different proposition next year.
    The extra week in Munster will change things a little. Who ever plays their first match on the second week is at a huge disadvantage. They team they play, win or lose, will have had a full game and time to work out flaws.

All the draws in Munster shows how close it is in Munster, in my opinion coming third is better than losing the Munster final.

All the draws in Munster shows how close it is in Munster, in my opinion coming third is better than losing the Munster final.

You could be right. Time will tell, which is the great thing, we can't be sure.
    I think Waterford and Tipp will be very different next year. Everything will tighten up at the early stages.

Figerty wrote: »
    You could be right. Time will tell, which is the great thing, we can't be sure.
    I think Waterford and Tipp will be very different next year. Everything will tighten up at the early stages.

Waterford will probably need a bit of rebuilding next year but Tipp should be a force, Michael Ryan was blaming everything on the clubs last year that shouldn't be an issue next year.

Waterford will probably need a bit of rebuilding next year but Tipp should be a force, Michael Ryan was blaming everything on the clubs last year that shouldn't be an issue next year.

Padraic Fanning is in. Has good background through WIT and more. It will be interesting to see his take on Waterford strategy. Sweeper didn't win them the big on.. Will they not take a more conventional route.
    I'd have them as strong contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waterford have a much better age profile than Tipp who personally I think are set for rebuilding. They were kingpins of Munster for about 10 years, a lot of miles on the clock and the new format will not suit those players. Realistically, be a while before any of those 21s really come to the fore.

Waterford have a much better age profile than Tipp who personally I think are set for rebuilding. They were kingpins of Munster for about 10 years, a lot of miles on the clock and the new format will not suit those players. Realistically, be a while before any of those 21s really come to the fore.

Waterford will probably have to come up with a new style of play, their "sweeper type" system has seen it's day I think. I don't know if I'd be calling Tipp the kingpins of Munster, this decade they've had 4 Munster and 2 All Ireland titles, that doesn't scream domiantion to me

• Advertisement

Waterford will probably have to come up with a new style of play, their "sweeper type" system has seen it's day I think. I don't know if I'd be calling Tipp the kingpins of Munster, this decade they've had 4 Munster and 2 All Ireland titles, that doesn't scream domiantion to me

I think they will change, and improve. Galway showed the flaw in that system in the final.
    Will they invest in facilities for decent home matches and build the base again? I think they will be better next year. Munster should be very even.
    Limerick are likely to struggle. The celebration and sense of achievement will make it hard to rise to the same levels again. They are a real target now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Going back to 2008 (10 years ago) they've won 6/11 Munsters with two all Ireland's appearing in another 3 finals, one league title and I'd say at least another 5 league final appearances. And in that time frame they were regularly hammering Munster teams. But I think while they still have plenty of talent it's catching up with them now. I'm sure they'll be competitive but I don't expect any all irelands for a few years.

I'd prefer to go into a general thread or a Munster thread to debate Tipp but in the past 10 finals they have won 5, Cork have won 3 with Limerick & Waterford with 1 each, I think Clare and Waterford at the only Munster counties to win a NHL title in the same time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Best way to get to an All-Ireland final is the route Cork took and had they held on for another couple of minutes they'd have beaten Limerick in the semi. I'd have given them every chance against Galway too. We were well capable of beating Galway on both days this year and I'd have fancied us to have beaten Limerick in the final. The fact that we didn't get there has little to do with us losing a Munster final. Finish third in Munster and you're guaranteed to meet Kilkenny or Galway before reaching Croke Park.

I'm a lot more optimistic to be honest. I think we learned this year that we are capable of beating anyone else. I think we had that capability for a while but failed to prove it. If we can build on our performances this year we should definitely be getting out of Munster. We have a bit of a fortress in Ennis and have our two toughest games there. Tipp and Waterford under new management. I wouldn't be surprised if Limerick have a bit of a hangover from their AI win also.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Best way to get to an All-Ireland final is the route Cork took and had they held on for another couple of minutes they'd have beaten Limerick in the semi. I'd have given them every chance against Galway too. We were well capable of beating Galway on both days this year and I'd have fancied us to have beaten Limerick in the final. The fact that we didn't get there has little to do with us losing a Munster final. Finish third in Munster and you're guaranteed to meet Kilkenny or Galway before reaching Croke Park.

I'm a lot more optimistic to be honest. I think we learned this year that we are capable of beating anyone else. I think we had that capability for a while but failed to prove it. If we can build on our performances this year we should definitely be getting out of Munster. We have a bit of a fortress in Ennis and have our two toughest games there. Tipp and Waterford under new management. I wouldn't be surprised if Limerick have a bit of a hangover from their AI win also.

I agree with you dead donkey regarding optism for next year but on one condition that a new natural fullbackline and halfback line are found for the Clareteam over the next few weeks and months akin to what the Clare team had in the 90's. Possession is 9ths of the law and despite all the great team and individual scoring heroics this championship season by Clare success fell agonisingly short against Galway on both days by conceeding a big lead at the start and by conceeding too many scores to Cork in their comeback overtaking in the MunsterFinal. It was because of this in my view that Clare failed to win the munster title and ultimately the all ireland title. If Clare dont find backs from the current club championship then it will be the same story or worse next year. If Clare do find the backs that tightens up the Clare defence and somehow Clare's forwards continue to thrive more then Clare will take some beating. However Clare do need new backs and the search is urgently needed to get them b4 the new season starts in only 3 months time!
    With all respect to Limerick Clare would probably have beaten Limerick in the all ireland final had Clare got to it as Clare would be familiar with Croke Park and Limerick while may have played better against Clare than did in the munster championship match would most likely have failed to close the margin in to win it. Limerick struggled to beat a very poor Galway side in the final (who had peaked in the dual thriller against Clare) after dominating the game for 70 of the 80 minutes game and just got over the line with momentum with Galway completely. It was as if luck just got limerick through after collapsing unlike 94 especially and 96 when they were beaten in similiar circumstances. Anyway all said if Clare dont get some good solid strong skilful new backs then will remain doomed particularly in the important big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

The current Clare backs will have to get better. Diarmuid Ryan & Rory Hayes will be challenging for places, as will O'Brien & Dillon. But there won't be any major transformation. Marginal improvement is the most we're probably going to get.

The reality is that Clare's strength is as an attacking outfit and they will succeed or fail on the basis of how well their attack functions. The two big issues on that front are the ball winning ability in the half-forward line and the decline of Conor McGrath closer to goal.

Heaven and earth should be moved to persuade McGrath not to retire and to get him back to full fitness. He is one of the best goal scorers we've ever produced and if he retires in these circumstances it will be a disaster.

In the half-forward line, we will need to do a lot of experimentation. Kelly will never be a ball winner but Duggan can't be the only target. Conlon & SOD are good ball winners but it wouldn't make sense to move them out. So we need someone new but god knows who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Here's a thought, now don't go mental just an idea I've had! There's no doubting Kellys skill, athletism and natural talent. But there is some doubting to his shot selection at times. Also no doubting we need a new center back...... You see where I'm going with this...... If you look at some of Kellys better performances over the last few years years even snippets of games where is has generally been poor but has spells where he is in the game. He comes deep and picks up ball around the half back line takes it on and delivers into the forwards. Good ball into the forwards is vital. Center back position isn't like when Seanie owned it, it's different now with the shorter passing. You might say Kelly can't win his own ball so he can't defend, well Cleary definitely couldn't defend either but at least I'd imagine Kelly has the ability to learn adequately, and he all ready has the skill to deliver quality ball into our forwards! He needs a defined role, nobody seems to know if he's a forward or a midfield player.

Discuss.....

Be gentle :-)

Not the first person I heard mention trying him out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Keano wrote:
    Not the first person I heard mention trying him out there.

Very intelligent people also then!! :-D
    But seriously, definitely think it's worth a shot for the league at least! There's nothing to lose by trying it, needed a new center back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

It's insane.

The biggest problems with Tony Kelly is that he doesn't like to mark someone and doesn't cope well when he is being closely marked, having him as an out and out back would be a disaster. Speaking of Kelly, I honestly don't know what position to play him in as he seems to be most interested in being a free man and going wherever he pleases, look at the last play against Galway this year he turned up behind the full back line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement