Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Henno30 wrote:
    It's insane.

Good argument, well made.
    Clareman wrote:
    The biggest problems with Tony Kelly is that he doesn't like to mark someone and doesn't cope well when he is being closely marked, having him as an out and out back would be a disaster. Speaking of Kelly, I honestly don't know what position to play him in as he seems to be most interested in being a free man and going wherever he pleases, look at the last play against Galway this year he turned up behind the full back line.

He's been tried everywhere in the forwards and midfield so would it not be worth trying him there even in the mickey mouse tournaments? Cleary wasn't able to defend either. And where he turned up at the end of the Galway match is quiet regularly where he turns up. Again, just a thought, nobody seems to know where he's best position is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Any thoughts on the weekends football?

I was at the double header in Kilrush

2* minor annoyances, firstly the Game times, 5pm is very late for a game on Sunday especially for any student returning to college in Dub, Waterford etc
    Not sure why they couldn't have been 1:15 and 3pm games

And While Kilrush did a good job accommodating the large corwd, I still have issues with the parking they do.. I know of 2 people boxed in for 5 -10 mins after deciding to leave the second game just on half time (a common occurrence during double headers) and I know it's not a big deal but in the event of someone having to leave extremely quickly those few minutes could be vital

Game wise, (I'm not reporter :) )
    Clondegad were comfortable against Kilmihil, looked like Kilmihil were playing the wrong kind of game, some great passages of play on both side, but the TK - Gary Brennan combo is hard to beat.

Cooraclare were the better team on the day, the game could have gotten away from the Ref as there was more and more cynical play, lots of off the ball stuff, I must have seen Pierce Lillis get hopped 6-7 times off the ball, some super scores given the swirling winds

Should be some good quarter finals

Pot A: KIB, Cratloe, Miltown, Ennistymon

Pot B: Cooraclare, Eire Óg, Clondegad, Corofin

Repeat pairings will be avoided as far as is possible

And the Senior B won't be a dull affair either
    St Breckans, Doonbeg, kilmihil, Lissycasy (After they started so well) Losing Loser gets Relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Kelly was the second top scorer from play in the championship this year. His biggest weaknesses are tackling and winning contested ball. I don't see how you can put those two together and come up with an argument that he should be played at centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

17togo wrote: »
    Here's a thought, now don't go mental just an idea I've had! There's no doubting Kellys skill, athletism and natural talent. But there is some doubting to his shot selection at times. Also no doubting we need a new center back...... You see where I'm going with this...... If you look at some of Kellys better performances over the last few years years even snippets of games where is has generally been poor but has spells where he is in the game. He comes deep and picks up ball around the half back line takes it on and delivers into the forwards. Good ball into the forwards is vital. Center back position isn't like when Seanie owned it, it's different now with the shorter passing. You might say Kelly can't win his own ball so he can't defend, well Cleary definitely couldn't defend either but at least I'd imagine Kelly has the ability to learn adequately, and he all ready has the skill to deliver quality ball into our forwards! He needs a defined role, nobody seems to know if he's a forward or a midfield player.

Discuss.....

Be gentle :-)

He's simply too loose for me
    Of course the great benefit of him at 6 is his long distance striking.

For me I'd place Galvin there before, a bit more disciplined than Kelly, great to get into pockets of space to take passes from fellow defenders under pressure & well capable of raiding up and picking off long range points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cleary is out centre back now, no point in trying anyone else, he's out centre back, yes he was sh1te in a few games and his weaknesses were found out but in the 2 games against Galway he did a great job on Canning who is by far the best centre forward in the country.

Henno30 wrote:
    Kelly was the second top scorer from play in the championship this year. His biggest weaknesses are tackling and winning contested ball. I don't see how you can put those two together and come up with an argument that he should be played at centre back.

I'd be interested to see which players hit the most wides also. Scoring I don't think will be an issue next year with players like shanagher, Ian galvin, Niall deasy getting a bit more playing time and if they can get Mcgrath back to a decent standard. Surely Kelly could be coached to a sufficient standard in tackling or positional play as his distribution could be brilliant. Again I'll point to Cleary as he's obviously been our most recent center back, you couldn't call his tackling up to standard either, all he had was height which he didn't even use to his advantage that often and his distribution was woeful.
    I am not saying he would be a success at this, all I'm saying is it could be something to be looked at. We all know he's gone missing for large periods in games so getting him in a position to get on the ball more often is a priority, he seems to turn up in the back line quiet often!

Clareman wrote:
    Cleary is out centre back now, no point in trying anyone else, he's out centre back, yes he was sh1te in a few games and his weaknesses were found out but in the 2 games against Galway he did a great job on Canning who is by far the best centre forward in the country.

Really?? No point in trying anyone else?! I struggle to see us being successful in the future with Cleary as our permanent center back!

Clareman wrote: »
    Cleary is out centre back now, no point in trying anyone else, he's out centre back,

Isn't that what the early part of the league is for nowadays? Throw in new talent or players into new positions to see how they perform..

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Isn't that what the early part of the league is for nowadays? Throw in new talent or players into new positions to see how they perform..

The current management didn't really adhere to that theory in this yrs league. By and large we went with the same line out round after round.
    The most obvious example was Waterford away, we had already qualified for knockouts and played close to our strongest 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Eire Óg v ennistymon
    KIB v Corofin
    Cratloe v Cooraclare
    Miltown v clonlegad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Kilmihill v St. Breckans
    Doonbeg v Lissycasey

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The current management didn't really adhere to that theory in this yrs league. By and large we went with the same line out round after round.
    The most obvious example was Waterford away, we had already qualified for knockouts and played close to our strongest 15.

They said early on that they were using it as a dry run for the new Munster champ format. It was a risk strategy. That sort of a selection policy can be a killer for morale.

I can't muster up any enthusiasm for the alternatives at 6. We have plenty of lads who look lovely on the ball but none of them hold the position as well as Cleary does.

Henno30 wrote: »
    They said early on that they were using it as a dry run for the new Munster champ format. It was a risk strategy. That sort of a selection policy can be a killer for morale.

I can't muster up any enthusiasm for the alternatives at 6. We have plenty of lads who look lovely on the ball but none of them hold the position as well as Cleary does.

His striking for me is his biggest weakness for a centre back. On a few occasions he got onto loose ball around the middle, a high class centre back would have taken the shot but hes just not a natural enough striker of the ball.

That said, he offers a physical presence, something we're not overly blessed with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

finbarrk wrote: »
    Kilmihill v St. Breckans
    Doonbeg v Lissycasey

Any idea when and where these are on?

EDIT: weekend of 29th & 30th but don't know where.

The Current management are not people I rate highly, and I'm still of the opinion we got as far as we did despite there best efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

His striking for me is his biggest weakness for a centre back. On a few occasions he got onto loose ball around the middle, a high class centre back would have taken the shot but hes just not a natural enough striker of the ball.

That said, he offers a physical presence, something we're not overly blessed with

The problem for Clare at centre back,,is that a centre back needs a mid-field to stop the runners. The whole 6-8-9-11 diamond has to be in sync. At the moment we aren't in sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gaatalk

FitzShane wrote: »
    Any idea when and where these are on?

EDIT: weekend of 29th & 30th but don't know where.

Tbh and this is my opinion that a debate on clare county football championship is not toò interesting to many clare fans when at a time especially when the heartland of clare football i.e west clare is in danger of been wiped out of senior grade completely. Kilrush the biggest town in the west of the county does not play senior anymore and 31 years since won the senior championship something terribly wrong.
    Kilkee another town closeby and they dont play senior anymore either. Now Doonbeg could loose their senior status. Miltown and Kilmhil had no senior teams either up to recently. Its a miracle at all that there is a senior championship with the heart of the west tradition which appears to be gone forever. I cant then understand why one would be remotely interested in the senior club football championship. Cooraclare also not far ahead of the relegation pack who will struggle to stay senior too next year and years after given their display last weekend. And here we are well into september and no closer to the final despite the intercounty championship been kicked around in both hurling and football and been condensed and finished off too early for nothing! It seems like winter since mid august! And no sign yet of a county final been played before October! Clubs are messing all the time.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Kilmihill v St. Breckans
    Doonbeg v Lissycasey

Tbh and this is my opinion that a debate on clare county football championship is not toò interesting to many clare fans when at a time especially when the heartland of clare football i.e west clare is in danger of been wiped out of senior grade completely. Kilrush the biggest town in the west of the county does not play senior anymore and 31 years since won the senior championship something terribly wrong.
    Kilkee another town closeby and they dont play senior anymore either. Now Doonbeg could loose their senior status. Miltown and Kilmhil had no senior teams either up to recently. Its a miracle at all that there is a senior championship with the heart of the west tradition which appears to be gone forever. I cant then understand why one would be remotely interested in the senior club football championship. Cooraclare also not far ahead of the relegation pack who will struggle to stay senior too next year and years after given their display last weekend. And here we are well into september and no closer to the final despite the intercounty championship been kicked around in both hurling and football and been condensed and finished off too early for nothing! It seems like winter since mid august! And no sign yet of a county final been played before October! Clubs are messing all the time.

2* minor annoyances, firstly the Game times, 5pm is very late for a game on Sunday especially for any student returning to college in Dub, Waterford etc

And While Kilrush did a good job accommodating the large corwd, I still have issues with the parking they do.. I know of 2 people boxed in for 5 -10 mins after deciding to leave the second game just on half time (a common occurrence during double headers) and I know it's not a big deal but in the event of someone having to leave extremely quickly those few minutes could be vital

Clondegad were comfortable against Kilmihil, looked like Kilmihil were playing the wrong kind of game, some great passages of play on both side, but the TK - Gary Brennan combo is hard to beat.

Cooraclare were the better team on the day, the game could have gotten away from the Ref as there was more and more cynical play, lots of off the ball stuff, I must have seen Pierce Lillis get hopped 6-7 times off the ball, some super scores given the swirling winds

St Breckans, Doonbeg, kilmihil, Lissycasy (After they started

I think general clare fans have stopped going yo clare club senior football matches with many years or following it even in the media for obvious reasons. Most people dont recall weekend games or remember last years champions.Tbh and this is my opinion that a debate on clare county football championship is not toò interesting to many clare fans when at a time especially when the heartland of clare football i.e west clare is in danger of been wiped out of senior grade completely. Kilrush the biggest town in the west of the county does not play senior anymore and 31 years since won the senior championship something terribly wrong.
    Kilkee another town closeby and they dont play senior anymore either. Now Doonbeg could loose their senior status. Miltown and Kilmhil had no senior teams either up to recently. Its a miracle at all that there is a senior championship with the heart of the west tradition which appears to be gone forever. I cant then understand why one would be remotely interested in the senior club football championship. Cooraclare also not far ahead of the relegation pack who will struggle to stay senior too next year and years after given their display last weekend. And here we are well into september and no closer to the final despite the intercounty championship been kicked around in both hurling and football and been condensed and finished off too early for nothing! It seems like winter since mid august! And no sign yet of a county final been played before October! Clubs are messing all the time and dragging it out.

• Advertisement

The current Clare backs will have to get better. Diarmuid Ryan & Rory Hayes will be challenging for places, as will O'Brien & Dillon. But there won't be any major transformation. Marginal improvement is the most we're probably going to get.

The reality is that Clare's strength is as an attacking outfit and they will succeed or fail on the basis of how well their attack functions. The two big issues on that front are the ball winning ability in the half-forward line and the decline of Conor McGrath closer to goal.

Heaven and earth should be moved to persuade McGrath not to retire and to get him back to full fitness. He is one of the best goal scorers we've ever produced and if he retires in these circumstances it will be a disaster.

In the half-forward line, we will need to do a lot of experimentation. Kelly will never be a ball winner but Duggan can't be the only target. Conlon & SOD are good ball winners but it wouldn't make sense to move them out. So we need someone new but god knows who.

The 4 players you referred to is there a gòod chance some or all of them do you think will make the clare team. It must be done new backs have to be found which can only improve team morale and make it a bit easier for the forwards to then play outwards rather than within and throw the shackles. If Clare had any solid half backline or fullbback line this summer gone then Clare undoubtely may have won at least Munster but possibly the all ireland given the way limericks backline almost collapsed and lost the final in the last 10 mins to last years champions in a very very poor galway team who had peaked or were stretched by Clare in the semifinal.
    No new backs next year equals no success.
    A competitive defence next year and Clare could take silverware.
    I fear though that this setup wont overhaul the defence section of the team and may then after another attempt will probably resign at end of the 3 years in charge. I hope I am wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Where are all these new backs going to come from? Anyone that's even close to county standard has been on and off the panel for the last few years.

Where are all these new backs going to come from? Anyone that's even close to county standard has been on and off the panel for the last few years.

O'Brien & Hayes have been carrying injuries. Dillon was away. Diarmuid Ryan is only 19 or so. I think O'Brien & Hayes are both good enough to make it. But both of them won't unless Jack Browne goes to full-back.

Decent competition at the back next year if everyone is fit:

O'Brien
    Browne
    Patch
    Hayes
    Dillon
    DMc
    Cleary
    Morey
    D Fitz
    Shanahan
    McCarthy

At least one of Fitz, Morey, & Shanahan will be tried further upfield. More likely two. Big year for David Fitz. Has the raw materials but not putting it all together so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me we've spent a year getting our defence right now it's time to get our midfield and half forwards right. I'd say SoD going to the States is a blessing in disguise and I'd look to give Kelly, Conlon, Galvin and McInerney some time off as well, give them until next April to come back, not only will it give them a break but it'll give other players a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

Gaatalk wrote: »

Embarrassing post and to put it up three times sums it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

I hear the Lohan brothers and Seanie Mc are coming back on board next season :D

• Advertisement

Is that poster even from Clare?

St Breckans, Doonbeg, kilmihil, Lissycasy (After they started so well) Losing Loser gets Relegated

Worse the county board usually fix football championship games during the summer on Sundays @6-30. Games are often fixed on bank holiday Mondays evening too. Disaster for people who have to travel up the country after. Are senior hurling championship games played on Sunday evenings?

With Corofin beating Lissycasy, Kilmihil will probably be favourites for the drop to intermediate.

O'Brien & Hayes have been carrying injuries. Dillon was away. Diarmuid Ryan is only 19 or so. I think O'Brien & Hayes are both good enough to make it. But both of them won't unless Jack Browne goes to full-back.

Decent competition at the back next year if everyone is fit:

O'Brien
    Browne
    Patch
    Hayes
    Dillon
    DMc
    Cleary
    Morey
    D Fitz
    Shanahan
    McCarthy

At least one of Fitz, Morey, & Shanahan will be tried further upfield. More likely two. Big year for David Fitz. Has the raw materials but not putting it all together so far.

How come Paul Flanagan hasn't got too many chances at senior level? Always that he decent on them 21 teams.What is David Fitz best position?

Gael85 wrote: »
    Worse the county board usually fix football championship games during the summer on Sundays @6-30. Games are often fixed on bank holiday Mondays evening too. Disaster for people who have to travel up the country after. Are senior hurling championship games played on Sunday evenings?

With Corofin beating Lissycasy, Kilmihil will probably be favourites for the drop to intermediate.

The football club championship is not really a talking point in Clare anymore in my opinion because for the very reason that when a clare county team takes on even a kerry senior team in transition they just flop. So many clare fans even previous clare football fans now follow hurling in Clare at club and county level end of story. The debates and discussions on clare club football are really for a small minority with no long term success goals at least with the county. Fair play though that they remain loyal but its really understandable why clare people see no long term effort following clare club and county football. This thread as such is a hurling thread but was hijacked lately by football issues.

Is that poster even from Clare?

Am afraid sorry t say but yea a true and true clare person. What year will Clare win Sam ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

The football club championship is not really a talking point in Clare anymore in my opinion because for the very reason that when a clare county team takes on even a kerry senior team in transition they just flop. So many clare fans even previous clare football fans now follow hurling in Clare at club and county level end of story. The debates and discussions on clare club football are really for a small minority with no long term success goals at least with the county. Fair play though that they remain loyal but its really understandable why clare people see no long term effort following clare club and county football. This thread as such is a hurling thread but was hijacked lately by football issues.

Your probably trolling but the support a club team gets is not dependent on the senior inter county team. If anything the vast majority of club people have a passing interest in the county team and the club is the priority. Club football is well debated in Clare as in any other county so please don't base your judgements on the contributors to this thread. You might find the hard to believe but this thread is not a 'talking point' among the majority of people. Imagine that!

I'm not a big hurling man but I do enjoy reading peoples opinions on the Clare team going forward without the feeling the need to pick holes in the condition of Clare hurling.

And the club football championship is set up for a wonderful climax if weather is kind to us.

Just put them on the ignore list, it's great, I did it after mods discovered they were using two profiles "viewpoint 2"

Your probably trolling but the support a club team gets is not dependent on the senior inter county team. If anything the vast majority of club people have a passing interest in the county team and the club is the priority. Club football is well debated in Clare as in any other county so please don't base your judgements on the contributors to this thread. You might find the hard to believe but this thread is not a 'talking point' among the majority of people. Imagine that!

I'm not a big hurling man but I do enjoy reading peoples opinions on the Clare team going forward without the feeling the need to pick holes in the condition of Clare hurling.

And the club football championship is set up for a wonderful climax if weather is kind to us.

I agree with some of what you say but disagree with the word trolling. Also just making the point that the auld club football championship seems t pop up here so much as if there was no club hurling championship taking place or it pops up when we are discussing more important matters like what we should be doing and saying to get our county team doing well next year that is the hurling team. No good referring to the county football team for reasons I already mentioned in this thread and anyways yes people who follow club football as you said have only a passing interest in the county team. So that is it confirmed from you who claim not to be a big hurling man. Well no wonder so the Clare football team doesnt win anything because the grassroots are not interested in Clare! Well why would hurling people so show any interest in club football or toerate a debate on it here hijacking the county hurling team discussion when clare club football people themselves are more interested in the mickey mouse poor quality football club game than the Clare football team!

Ps not one football club fan has come out and given a reason why despite the all ireland hurling final been played in mid august and the football final in early september, why Clare have not already ran off their club football final and for that matter their hurling club final.
    There is too much messing going on with the clare football and hurling championships running and prolonging the poor quality competitions in league groups. If both reverted to the traditional knock out twould be over in a few weeks and put us out of our misery! Then we could concentrate on the county team for next year ie the hurling county team. Yawn Yawn this club championship stuff. The last good football club match within clare was the 1989 and 1992 finals. There hasnt been one good senior game since but plenty of talk about the ball of wind!

The title of the thread gives a fair clue as to what the the thread is for/about.
    It's to discuss Clare GAA, not just hurling.
    If posters want to talk about football, more luck, they're in the correct thread to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Ps not one football club fan has come out and given a reason why despite the all ireland hurling final been played in mid august and the football final in early september, why Clare have not already ran off their club football final and for that matter their hurling club final.
    There is too much messing going on with the clare football and hurling championships running and prolonging the poor quality competitions in league groups. If both reverted to the traditional knock out twould be over in a few weeks and put us out of our misery! Then we could concentrate on the county team for next year ie the hurling county team. Yawn Yawn this club championship stuff. The last good football club match within clare was the 1989 and 1992 finals. There hasnt been one good senior game since but plenty of talk about the ball of wind!

Cooraclare and Breckans first round game this year was as good a championship game seen anywhere in the country.

There is no 'league group' in either senior championship in Clare for the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Did you forget where the county players start and finish playing. The club is the reason we have county teams regardless of what level it's played at.

How come Paul Flanagan hasn't got too many chances at senior level? Always that he decent on them 21 teams.What is David Fitz best position?

He got some league starts under Davy. Don't know why he hasn't staked a stronger claim, but it's possible he's a better hurler than defender like many of this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

He got some league starts under Davy. Don't know why he hasn't staked a stronger claim, but it's possible he's a better hurler than defender like many of this group.
    I'd be more wondering why Niall Deasy hasn't made an impact with Clare this year. Even as a sub. Had a great year with Ballyea the year before.

Anyway lets get back to the hurling with our county playing again in Div 1 A next year isnt it great altogether. Isnt it mighty that give a take or year here and there Clare have been a strong county in hurling since 95 and always was a hurling county its the main gaa code played for intercounty success anyway and acourse St Flannans were teriffic too a while back. It would be nice t see them come strong again so that hopefully Clare will at least another 3 more all ireland senior hurling titles in the next 23-25 years. We could win one much sooner if we sort out the supply or strength in the half forward line ( have surely enough forward options and X forwards that used to be on panel and fringe forwards) if thought about it right rather than hoping it happens! But even if thats tweaked the main problem is the loose defence and if that was improved it would take a lot of pressure off. No matter what the forwards scored this year in high scoring games not t mention what they didnt convert from their dominance and the struggle in the half forward line to win the dirty ball, not withstanding all that it was the backs that leaked a lot and undid all the scoring power upfront ultimately loosing the big tight games v Cork and Galway replay. If this is not sorted Clare wont win silverware next year again with great potential. Its a pity the auld footballers cant make the breakthrough and win Sam Maguire. I suppose we wont never see it coming to Clare! Pity with the unusual deep interest that the loyal few football club fans show going to club games when not many else in the county knows they are even on or follows them games anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyway lets get back to the hurling with our county playing again in Div 1 A next year isnt it great altogether. Isnt it mighty that give a take or year here and there Clare have been a strong county in hurling since 95 and always was a hurling county its the main gaa code played for intercounty success anyway and acourse St Flannans were teriffic too a while back. It would be nice t see them come strong again so that hopefully Clare will at least another 3 more all ireland senior hurling titles in the next 23-25 years. We could win one much sooner if we sort out the supply or strength in the half forward line ( have surely enough forward options and X forwards that used to be on panel and fringe forwards) if thought about it right rather than hoping it happens! But even if thats tweaked the main problem is the loose defence and if that was improved it would take a lot of pressure off. No matter what the forwards scored this year in high scoring games not t mention what they didnt convert from their dominance and the struggle in the half forward line to win the dirty ball, not withstanding all that it was the backs that leaked a lot and undid all the scoring power upfront ultimately loosing the big tight games v Cork and Galway replay. If this is not sorted Clare wont win silverware next year again with great potential. Its a pity the auld footballers cant make the breakthrough and win Sam Maguire. I suppose we wont never see it coming to Clare! Pity with the unusual deep interest that the loyal few football club fans show going to club games when not many else in the county knows they are even on or follows them games anymore.

I think your post could benefit from some punctuation and paragraphing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

How about we talk about the weekend hurling matches in the county championship and leave the inter county stuff till after that’s finished? It’s months away yet ffs and some counties don’t even have managers yet.

Your constantly whining about our defenders but not once have you put any names forward. How about you fill us in on some of the emerging talent you have seen so far in the county championship or have you even bothered to turn up to any game.

Figerty wrote: »
    I'd be more wondering why Niall Deasy hasn't made an impact with Clare this year. Even as a sub. Had a great year with Ballyea the year before.

It's a big step up. He hasn't been there for long. Look how far Peter Duggan has come in 3 or 4 years.

Does anyone have the odds for football championship? Eire Og seem to be coming good at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Kilmurry Ibrickane
    6/4
    Cratloe
    7/2
    St Josephs Miltown Malbay
    4/1
    Eire Og Ennis
    5/1
    Clondegad
    15/2
    Cooraclare
    14/1
    Ennistymon
    14/1
    Corofin
    80/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Sixmilebridge
    7/4
    Ballyea
    4/1
    Cratloe
    9/2
    Clooney Quin
    11/2
    Eire Og Ennis
    7/1
    Kilmaley
    10/1
    Inagh Kilnamona
    12/1
    O'Callaghan Mills
    16/1

How about we talk about the weekend hurling matches in the county championship and leave the inter county stuff till after that’s finished? It’s months away yet ffs and some counties don’t even have managers yet.

Your constantly whining about our defenders but not once have you put any names forward. How about you fill us in on some of the emerging talent you have seen so far in the county championship or have you even bothered to turn up to any game.

I am entitled to complain about the clare defence this year or for that matter the same defence last summer that also leaked high scores to Tipperary down in Cork and lost despite scoring 3 goals that day and a lot of points! Look if its not flagged now and constantly flagged before the preseason starts
    then will be looking at the same defence more or less give or take next january and so on up t the championship. You have t plan early if want a new unit settling in.

Rory Hayes is a player could be tried more.
    What about the 2009 first all ireland winnning u21 captain Ciaran Doherty he was one of the best defenders Clare has seen since the 90's!
    Why could he not be convinced or at least sussed out. Cian Dillon was good enough to be a defender in the 2013 setup all ireland winning team yet wasnt on the team this year at any stage even when Galway ran riot at them the two days at the start. There was James Mc Inerney from Newmarket a former back on the Clare panel he hasnt been recalled in the last few years either and had at least a physical presence. The goalie Pat Kelly of the all ireland winning team has been left off the setup too!
    Also Garry Brennan could have been enticed into the hurling team/panel and his physical presence alone would help the defence or the midfield area and as a bonus he is a skilful enough hurler.

Does anyone have the odds for football championship? Eire Og seem to be coming good at the right time.

Ah if Eire Og win it they usually shame clare with the hammerings they get in the munster club. Check it out! Better if they concentrated on hurling which is or was the main game played in Ennis and which has or had tradition. Clare needs more hurlers like Shane O'Donnell from Ennis (when on form) like was at the latter part of this years championship, popping up playing hurling for Clare. Playing football for Ennis wont secure a munster club title or a Liam Mc Carthy cup or all ireland hurling medal. Noone or I dont care about the football championship.

Also the barretts from Newmarket and Barry Duggan Cratloe and Damien Browne Cratloe could or should have been called or invited onto panel to see if they could tighten up the defence unit for Clare. Could not be much worse than present.

• Advertisement

I think your post could benefit from some punctuation and paragraphing.

Ah now you could do with been less nasty . This isnt a teachers forum so lets see what the football response to this is and keep your auld punctuation to yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement