Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Maybe you'd chance togging out yourself?

Gaatalk wrote: »
    Also the barretts from Newmarket and Barry Duggan Cratloe and Damien Browne Cratloe could or should have been called or invited onto panel to see if they could tighten up the defence unit for Clare. Could not be much worse than present.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gaatalk

funnyname wrote: »
    Maybe you'd chance togging out yourself?

Ah well funnyname you see its that smart talk is all one gets when no answers! to all the backs I mentioned that could or should have been in the clare hurling panel in the past and going forward. Now I have answered the question of the names of backs that could strengthen the clare defence. Now its late I am tired there are many more I havent named out there if were selected too.Good night sleep sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I
    What about the 2009 first all ireland winnning u21 captain Ciaran Doherty he was one of the best defenders Clare has seen since the 90's!

No disrespect to Ciaran O'Doherty but his own family wouldn't make that claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

To be honest guys the standard of club hurling is not great this year. I would say Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock are a step up on what we have in Clare.
    As a great admirer of Sixmilebridge and their professional approach to preparing underage teams and having their senior team always competitive oi commend them. However the team.they have at the moment aren't a patch on the skillfull machine of the mid 90s. So Id be concerned if they finish top again in Clare. Talk to Bridge people and they don't rate their current team. They say 'we won't keep it pucked out to Na Piarsaigh". Ballyea haven't the 15 good hurlers needed. They have a few that wouldn't get on the Bridge intermediate team. I'd rate Cratloe and no one else right now to challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Henno30 wrote: »

GAAmatter is on the wind up. He naming defenders that played 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Gael85 wrote: »

I doubt he is even from Clare. Only naming lads that had played on intercounty teams. Barry Duggan and Gary Brennan to shore up the backline. Christ on a bike!

I doubt he is even from Clare. Only naming lads that had played on intercounty teams. Barry Duggan and Gary Brennan to shore up the backline. Christ on a bike!

Surprised he left out Bernard Gaffney

Surprised he left out Bernard Gaffney

Ah u know Bernard Gaffney was a good hurler and ended up playing interccounty hurling with another county after! So now thats the fact. Id have given him a go that time for sure.

Hey Gary Brennan didnt play for Clare Senior Hurlers before so hasnt played on the intercounty hurling team. You are arrogantly wrong! Fact. Gary Brennan is strong, has the height and the strength and has a fair bit of hurling skill as shown in 2016 with Ballyeas success in Munster. Lets put it this way he would be better than some of the current backs like clery would he not and have a great physical presence! Christ on a bike to quote your phrase you are deluding yourself that Brennan not worth a trial better than whats there in backline! Now Barry Duggan was is another strong man suited to defend simply defend! Now have you any lads to name as potentials for a new revamped clare defence? Proably not! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚

Garry Brennan not 10 yrs ago still a player!
    Ciaran Doherty not 10 yrs ago do your sums!
    Barry Duggan not 10 yrs ago!
    Rory Hayes young and only emerging!
    Pat Kelly the 2013 goalie only 5 yrs ago!

Now hehe you cant do sums at all. Arrogant misfacts dont wash sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

BloodyBill wrote: »
    To be honest guys the standard of club hurling is not great this year. I would say Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock are a step up on what we have in Clare.
    As a great admirer of Sixmilebridge and their professional approach to preparing underage teams and having their senior team always competitive oi commend them. However the team.they have at the moment aren't a patch on the skillfull machine of the mid 90s. So Id be concerned if they finish top again in Clare. Talk to Bridge people and they don't rate their current team. They say 'we won't keep it pucked out to Na Piarsaigh". Ballyea haven't the 15 good hurlers needed. They have a few that wouldn't get on the Bridge intermediate team. I'd rate Cratloe and no one else right now to challenge

In fairness, Na Piarsigh of the last few years have been above the norm when it comes to club hurling.

I would imagine the big push for the Bridge is to put back to back titles together, they've been the most consistent team in club championship in recent years but two in a row has eluded them thus far

Henno30 wrote: »

No one asked his family to or you! But if you sat down and looked at his display in 2009 especially the u21 final and other games around then and since if you knew anything about 'real hurling' and real defences you would know what I mean and appreciate it. But it sounds you dont and thats the issue. Shur he would be a great defender a natural one much better than clery and his likes in the current defence.A junior team would have defended better than Clare did this year in the two most important games they lost to Cork (collapsed in 2nd half) and against Galway both days v Galway at the start. Can you imagine Lohan and co looking at how comically Galway tore the Clare defence in two halfs in the first 25 minutes v Galway and how easily Cork woke up and tore the Clare defence in shreds after Cork scoring their first goal and how Clare were away ahead coming upto halftime but collapsed then in the defence.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    In fairness, Na Piarsigh of the last few years have been above the norm when it comes to club hurling.

I would imagine the big push for the Bridge is to put back to back titles together, they've been the most consistent team in club championship in recent years but two in a row has eluded them thus far

I agree and believe that the Bridge people dont really rate that Bridge team compared to the good teams in the 90s. Winning two in a row if they did is no defence t say they are good, its more a reflection of how poor the club championship maybe in clare has become. Like the bridge got an unmerciful hiding from na piarsaigh in the munster final in ENNIS in 2013 the year Clare won the all ireland. That was a low day! Now they are a great club but I agree the current team and management are very overrated. The same management has been in place for a long time with no showup for Munster titles like the 90s indeed Ballyea won one but the Bridge not able to the current team.
    So winning clare but flopping then is no good as clare club ambassadors! And by the way its a cop out excuse to say Piarsaigh were exceptionally good shur they didnt win the all ireland this year did they the Dublin champions clipped their wings in the replay so they not as good as people try build them up to be!

I agree with you the bridge are overrated and not a patch of the good teams they once had ie the 90s early noughties. Winning two in a row means nothing really when the standard is bad.
    Got hammered in the 2013 munster final in Ennis they let clare people down and the great tradition that club had upto that. They havent improved since one bit even if dominating the clare champuonship. The management are deluded too and around too long and they seem to never know when they are truly hammered in munster games.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Hey Gary Brennan didnt play for Clare Senior Hurlers before so hasnt played on the intercounty hurling team. You are arrogantly wrong! Fact. Gary Brennan is strong, has the height and the strength and has a fair bit of hurling skill as shown in 2016 with Ballyeas success in Munster. Lets put it this way he would be better than some of the current backs like clery would he not and have a great physical presence! Christ on a bike to quote your phrase you are deluding yourself that Brennan not worth a trial better than whats there in backline! Now Barry Duggan was is another strong man suited to defend simply defend! Now have you any lads to name as potentials for a new revamped clare defence? Proably not! ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚

He's played football though so that's probably where you have heard of him. If he was good enough to play for Clare in hurling he wouldn't be a back anyway. I'm not sure if Barry Duggan is still getting a game at club level and he certainly would not have the pace for county. He probably never did.

I'd like to see Eoin Quirke, Oisin o Brien & Gudgie back involved. Rory Hayes obviously, Jason McCarthy and Diarmuid Ryan all given some game time this year. Ross Hayes as well might be one for the future. I'd say Mungovan and McMahon from the minors this year will be there or there abouts in a couple of years. Very raw but a bit more aggressive than what we have down the middle at the moment.

Out of that 9 if 2 or 3 came through we would be lucky but no point trying lads that couldn't make it when they had their chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I prefer the Clare championship to the Limerick 1, there's no clear "strong" team like there is in Limerick, of the 8 teams that are still in it any can win it, I don't think you could say that about many other county championships.

The 1 thing that is clear to me is there is a massive gap between the inter-county players and the rest I don't think I've seen or heard of a player than could be brought up to senior that has already been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    I prefer the Clare championship to the Limerick 1, there's no clear "strong" team like there is in Limerick, of the 8 teams that are still in it any can win it, I don't think you could say that about many other county championships.

The 1 thing that is clear to me is there is a massive gap between the inter-county players and the rest I don't think I've seen or heard of a player than could be brought up to senior that has already been there.

I hear that the Q-finals in the park are going to be on TG4 at the weekend. Check the TG4 schedule.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    I hear that the Q-finals in the park are going to be on TG4 at the weekend. Check the TG4 schedule.

2 of them are being shown

12:45PM
    GAA Beo
    SERIES 18, EPISODE 1
    Live coverage of two quarter finals in the Clare Hurling Championship; Kilmaley v Éire Óg and Ballyea v Inagh-Kilnamona. Deferred coverage of the Waterford Hurling Semi-Final between Ballygunner and Passage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Correct, according to the latest schedule anyway. Both games live followed by deferred coverage of Waterford semi-final, Ballygunnar V Passage.

Great to see Colm Collins staying on. Will be a tough league campaign next year.

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/290557

• Advertisement

Brilliant news, be great to see them retain division 2 status and make the super 8s next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

This.
    Standing out in club hurling should give a lad a shot at the county squad, but just because he's a very good club hurler doesn't mean he'll be able for the step up.
    If you only have 1 or 2 extra seconds in the ball that can make a massive difference, it's alot harder get that space and time in inter county. Often the lads that are able to play with time at the highest level do so because their serious players.
    Also, at club level you can still shine with one or two weaknesses in your game, be it lacking a bit of pace, strength etc. These deficiencies get shown up pretty quickly at the top level

Hidalgo wrote: »
    This.
    Standing out in club hurling should give a lad a shot at the county squad, but just because he's a very good club hurler doesn't mean he'll be able for the step up.
    If you only have 1 or 2 extra seconds in the ball that can make a massive difference, it's alot harder get that space and time in inter county. Often the lads that are able to play with time at the highest level do so because their serious players.
    Also, at club level you can still shine with one or two weaknesses in your game, be it lacking a bit of pace, strength etc. These deficiencies get shown up pretty quickly at the top level

There's been plenty of good club hurlers who never made it at county level, but they'd always stand out at club level and be given a chance either by being called up to training or given a run in the league, as I said I haven't heard of anyone who'd be worth a shot from this years championship. At this stage if you weren't a good under 21 4/5 years ago you aren't going to be a senior now.

There's been plenty of good club hurlers who never made it at county level, but they'd always stand out at club level and be given a chance either by being called up to training or given a run in the league, as I said I haven't heard of anyone who'd be worth a shot from this years championship. At this stage if you weren't a good under 21 4/5 years ago you aren't going to be a senior now.
    There have been a few who never played minor of county. I think one of the Monaghan footballers.
    Sean Og O'Halpin was a late starter.
    You never know. Fitzgibbon cup has thrown up a few like Seamus Harnady and allowed them to progress.

Great to see Colm Collins staying on. Will be a tough league campaign

It is great for sure and for consistency this will be Clares 3rd season next year in Division 2 so they should if good enough be pushing for promotion to Division 1 and more so that than getting into the Super8. You know ud nearly want to be back in Division 1 playing top quality sides before dreaming of been in the super 8 where the teams will even be fitter and faster as the championship in summer. The one thing is I think Collins has performed admirably by getting Clare up from Div 4 to Div 3 to Div 2 in that time. They were stuck in Div 4 for years before that and were very unsettled and ill disciplined. I think Colm Collins has achieved greatly with a team punching above its weight. Clare in the last two seasons in Div 2 should have held out and won by a good margin in one or two opening games and didnt instead drawing the games. Not sure if that was over confidence or inexperience though cant always use inexperience as an excuse when you are in contention and then struggle t not loose. I also believe too that in all that time Clare still fear or respect the kerry Senior Jersey so much even a Kerry team in transition! Like twice in Ennis could not beat Kerry when it was there to be won! Then this year in Killarney some were even predicting a Clare win even before the game was played and yet Clare were beaten out the gate!
    So the question to be asked despite the fact that Clare are a Div 2 team and Kerry are a transition team and despite the fact that Cork are woeful poor why are Clare not the main rivals for Kerry at this point in time? They should be but are not. It was done in 92 on a once off this team doesnt believe it can beat kerry at all! Yet beat just them more or less and ud have one maybe two munster championships! Dam easier to win a munster football championship as only Kerry are any good in the hurling there is 4 or 5 teams in any good given year! So thats the biggest challenge facing Collins will he be gone some year and Clare wont yet have beaten Kerry under his watch. They need to get an expert in to drill it into them that Kerry needs to be taken down in the South! Like Cork beat Kerry in the past when they had good teams. But Clare and Tipperary are letting Cork and Munster down by not filling Corks shoes!

Great to see Colm Collins staying on. Will be a tough campaign next year.

It is great for sure and for consistency this will be Clares 3rd season next year in Division 2 so they should if good enough be pushing for promotion to Division 1 and more so that than getting into the Super8. You know ud nearly want to be back in Division 1 playing top quality sides before dreaming of been in the super 8 where the teams will even be fitter and faster as the championship in summer. The one thing is I think Collins has performed admirably by getting Clare up from Div 4 to Div 3 to Div 2 in that time. They were stuck in Div 4 for years before that and were very unsettled and ill disciplined. I think Colm Collins has achieved greatly with a team punching above its weight. Clare in the last two seasons in Div 2 should have held out and won by a good margin in one or two opening games and didnt instead drawing the games. Not sure if that was over confidence or inexperience though cant always use inexperience as an excuse when you are in contention and then struggle t not loose. I also believe too that in all that time Clare still fear or respect the kerry Senior Jersey so much even a Kerry team in transition! Like twice in Ennis could not beat Kerry when it was there to be won! Then this year in Killarney some were even predicting a Clare win even before the game was played and yet Clare were beaten out the gate!
    So the question to be asked despite the fact that Clare are a Div 2 team and Kerry are a transition team and despite the fact that Cork are woeful poor why are Clare not the main rivals for Kerry at this point in time? They should be but are not. It was done in 92 on a once off this team doesnt believe it can beat kerry at all! Yet beat just them more or less and ud have one maybe two munster championships! Dam easier to win a munster football championship as only Kerry are any good in the hurling there is 4 or 5 teams in any good given year! So thats the biggest challenge facing Collins will he be gone some year and Clare wont yet have beaten Kerry under his watch. They need to get an expert in to drill it into them that Kerry needs to be taken down in the South! Like Cork beat Kerry in the past when they had good teams. But Clare and Tipperary are letting Cork and Munster down by not filling Corks shoes!

How is it we cant get the Clare lads to believe and be better than Kerry at least an odd year. Imagine this year if Clare were better than Kerry or the years they met Kerry in Ennis if Clare had seen them games out then there was 1 to 3 Munster titles coming their way maybe given how poor Cork are etc. Maybe Tipp might have been in the running too but Clare have respected Kerry and been not just good enough every time to hold out and beat them. Its no good saying the current Kerry team are great they are not and not the finished article yet Clare witg more household nanes cant beat them any year. This year say when Clare hurlers kinda got near nearly the all ireland final where might have reclaimed Liam but didnt, would the great hot summer have been lit up if the footballers could for a turn put a smile on clare fans faces and the hurlers faces! Its time Clare won a big title and cant say are not experienced or mature enough they are and under Collins a good while and a Division 2 team! Clare hurlers have defence problems and Clare footballers fear Kerry. Both diseases needs to be cured and not let fester from year to year season to season! People in Clare are quick to praise but slow to criticise and call it directly as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

^3 posts again, seriously..

Anyway great to see the double header on Sunday will be on TG4, lets hope the weather holds out and gives a half decent day

Shane_ef wrote: »
    ^3 posts again, seriously..

Anyway great to see the double header on Sunday will be on TG4, lets hope the weather holds out and gives a half decent day

Ah its a bit too soon at quarterfinals stage imo to be on television live. Yep 3 posts again but 3 different ones. Whats picking you! Hehe. Is there a quota on how many posts can put up hehe.

Ps You got your days wrong just so you have the facts right the games you referred to are on tomorrow Saturday and NOT Sunday as you announced! Have a nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ah its a bit too soon at quarterfinals stage imo to be on television live. Yep 3 posts again but 3 different ones. Whats picking you! Hehe. Is there a quota on how many posts can put up hehe.

Ps You got your days wrong just so you have the facts right the games you referred to are on tomorrow Saturday and NOT Sunday as you announced! Have a nice day.

You really are a numpty. The two matches that are on TG4 are on Sunday. Bridge and cratloe and clooney/mills is tomorrow Saturday.

Just showing your actual lack of Clare hurling knowledge once again.

Ps: I’m still waiting for you to identify some new defenders for the panel. As pointed out, the lads you listed WERE fine servants to Clare hurling but are past inter county standards now.

You really are a numpty. The two matches that are on TG4 are on Sunday. Bridge and cratloe and clooney/mills is tomorrow Saturday.

Just showing your actual lack of Clare hurling knowledge once again.

Ps: I’m still waiting for you to identify some new defenders for the panel. As pointed out, the lads you listed WERE fine servants to Clare hurling but are past inter county standards now.

You are a Humpty Dumpty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I hate the way the ignore function doesnt work on the mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

letowski wrote: »

I was wondering that myself. He's hard work!

Never knew it was there... Just used it now!

caddy16 wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself. He's hard work!

Ah its hard work when facts are facts but anyway who will win the all ireland next year in football? Clare hehe if could overcome mentally playing kerry! Who in hurling will win it out? Clare hehe if their backs miracously turn into defenders hehe the best we can hope is a miracle as nobody seems to think our defence is all over the shop and easy to split wide open!

• Advertisement

Never knew it was there... Just used it now!
    See my reply to Caddy16 a copy for you too. Shur I know its raining and your perception of gaa matters is fogged up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

havent been around in a few weeks due to work , the championship has yet to really kick off at the moment , most of the round 3 games were poor enough standerd , all pointers here from stats passd on to me has cratloe , ballyea and O'Callaghans Mills flying in fron of goal , hear are the top scorers from play , and top scorers from placed balls up as far as round 3

the senior B / Relegation playoffs not included

Screenshot_2018-09-20_135402.png

Screenshot_2018-09-20_135414.png

full team stats from the first 3 rounds of the championship , probably shows a cink in the sixmilebridge armour in terms of scores from play , could be the diffrence this evening in the second game

fancy , cratloe , the mills , ballyea and Eire og to make the semi finals this weekend

Team scores from play , placed balls ,No of scorers TOP scorer

ballyea 4-35.................1-11...............8.............. tony kelly 2-19

SMB 0-24............... 0-20 .............10 ........... jamie shannahan 0-25

OC'mills 7-32 .............. 0-19 .............10 ......... jacob loughnane 0-22

eire og 4-17.................0-19 ..............11 ......... Danny russell 1-21

Clooney/Q 0-17 ............... 1-24................8............ Peter Duggan 1-27

Cratloe 4-45 ,............... 0-19 .............10............ Billy Connors 0-26

Kilmaley 4-36................. 0-16 .............10..............Michael O’Neill 2-6

Inagh/K 2-39 ................. 0-17 .............12............. Niall Arthur 0-24

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

full team stats from the first 3 rounds of the championship , probably shows a cink in the sixmilebridge armour in terms of scores from play , could be the diffrence this evening in the second game

fancy , cratloe , the mills , ballyea and Eire og to make the semi finals this weekend

Team scores from play , placed balls ,No of scorers TOP scorer

ballyea 4-35.................1-11...............8.............. tony kelly 2-19

SMB 0-24............... 0-20 .............10 ........... jamie shannahan 0-25

OC'mills 7-32 .............. 0-19 .............10 ......... jacob loughnane 0-22

eire og 4-17.................0-19 ..............11 ......... Danny russell 1-21

Clooney/Q 0-17 ............... 1-24................8............ Peter Duggan 1-27

Cratloe 4-45 ,............... 0-19 .............10............ Billy Connors 0-26

Kilmaley 4-36................. 0-16 .............10..............Michael O’Neill 2-6

Inagh/K 2-39 ................. 0-17 .............12............. Niall Arthur 0-24

Interesting stats particularly Clooneys return from play.

I think all 4 games are well balanced, tough accum to pick!
    I'll go Mills, Cratloe, Kilmaley & Ballyea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Great Stats thanks for sharing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Great win for The Mills.
    Thoroughly deserved, fought for every ball.
    1st semi final since '97...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭roashter

Cratloe beat the bridge in the other semi final
    Doora-Barefield relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

roashter wrote: »
    Cratloe beat the bridge in the other semi final
    Doora-Barefield relegated

Do you know the scores?

4Ad wrote: »
    Great win for The Mills.
    Thoroughly deserved, fought for every ball.
    1st semi final since '97...

huge win for them , was trying to think how long it had been since they reached that stage , 21 years is a seriously long time for a club like them, gary cooney looks set to be an excellent hurler he had an excellent game , jacob loughnane matched peter duggan in the free taking stakes , while paddy donnllon was excellent also

would be great to see him win a county final , if they can get more out of the likes of aidan fawll, sean cotter and young crehan they could be a dangerous proposition for anyone yet , its still a bit of a long shot but not impossible , they played poor enough at times by there own standard but were much better then a clooney that hammered kilmaley in round 2 and were last years runners up

mills scorers

jacob loughnane 0-8
    gary cooney 0-4
    brian donnellan 0-1
    aidan frawll 0-1
    sean cotter 0-1
    aidan o'gorman 0-1
    colin crehan 0-1

Clooney scorers
    peter duggan 0-9
    ryan taylor 0-3
    martin duggan 0-2

Thought the Mills and Cratloe were fully deserving winners today. Cratloe look very lively, they are full of running and have quality across all lines. I think they can win it. The Mills will be hard to beat by any team too, they play a good brand of hurling.

From a Clare prespective, some of the younger players coming through played very well, with reference to Gary Cooney, Diarmuid Ryan and Billy Connors. Connors is an intriguing wing forward prospect particularly, he has filled out and is a strong lad, along with being well able to take a score. I'd like to see him in the league next year, and Diarmuid Ryan who should be looked at too.

cnoc wrote: »
    Do you know the scores?

cratloe 1-19 0-16 sixmilebridge

O'C Mills 0-17 0-14 Clooney/Quinn

Whitegate 1-11 0-11 Doora/Barefield barefield relegated

Tulla 0-17 0-16 Wolfe tones senior b championship final

in the inter championship 1/4 finals

tubber 0-19 0-10 Inagh/K
    Corofin 3-14 0-18 parteen

Thought the Mills and Cratloe were fully deserving winners today. Cratloe look very lively, they are full of running and have quality across all lines. I think they can win it. The Mills will be hard to beat by any team too, they play a good brand of hurling.

From a Clare prespective, some of the younger players coming through played very well, with reference to Gary Cooney, Diarmuid Ryan and Billy Connors. Connors is an intriguing wing forward prospect particularly, he has filled out and is a strong lad, along with being well able to take a score. I'd like to see him in the league next year, and Diarmuid Ryan who should be looked at too.

both conners and ryan look like excellent prospects connors scored 0-8 points again today and is flying , from a county perspective i feel ryan should be malones replacement for the league , he got the better of his opposite number for most of the game and scored 3 from play also , an excellent long range free taker as well if we are stuck , there is no excuse for management at the moment cooney from the mills and rian considine also cratloe put there hands up also today these players need to be tried out in the spring

in terms of the second game today, cratloe are back playing at a very high standerd this year , while they are prone to mistakes there scoreing has been excellent , they are always going to be there for the taking though i feel , as there full back line is there to be exposed , and they need a target man up front as the likes of considne ,, mcinerney and podge are a bit lite and need the ball worked in all the time

cratloe are still favorites but if eire og and ballyea come through tomorrow that might change slightly

cratloe scorers

billy conners 0-8
    rian considine 1-2
    Diarmuid ryan 0-3
    podge collins 0-2
    david collins 0-1
    conor mcgrath 0-1
    cathal mcinerney 0-1
    Enda Boyce 0-1

Sixmilebridge scores
    jamie shannahan 0-9
    brian corry 0-2
    Gavin White 0-2
    cathal malone 0-1
    Niall gilligan 0-1
    jason loughnane 0-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wasn’t able to get to the games today but I’m not surprised with the results.

Mills were well in the game against us up until the last 10 minutes and the ref had given them nothing. Just like Letowski, I was impressed with Gary cooney in that game. Never been fully convinced of Clooney. Can’t keep relying on Duggan for 90% of there scores.

Thought Cratloe would have too much for the bridge over the whole team sheet. They are a threat across every line. Favourites now for the championship I would say.

Hopefully we can pull through tomorrow. Will be a very tight game.

Cooney has a bit of class on the ball. He moves well on the field, has the skill and shooting. Clare are stacked in the inside line though. Off the top of my head, I have 7 quality inside forwards in Conlon, O'Donnell, Podge, Shanagher, Cunningham, McGrath, McInerney. That said, I'd like him to get an oppertunity to see what he can do.

Diarmuid Ryan won his battle with Malone easily. I think one of the areas where Clare struggled a bit was our half back line imposing themselves on the game, like the way his younger brother did, and Bugler in 2013 in the big games when we needed leaders. Looking at Limerick again this year, having tall, strong half backs that can get on top in their positions and drive out is important. Diarmuid looks that type of player, he scored a great piont at the end. Actually, his striking is excellent, he gets great range.

Cooney has a bit of class on the ball. He moves well on the field, has the skill and shooting. Clare are stacked in the inside line though. Off the top of my head, I have 7 quality inside forwards in Conlon, O'Donnell, Podge, Shanagher, Cunningham, McGrath, McInerney. That said, I'd like him to get an oppertunity to see what he can do.

Diarmuid Ryan won his battle with Malone easily. I think one of the areas where Clare struggled a bit was our half back line imposing themselves on the game, like the way his younger brother did, and Bugler in 2013 in the big games when we needed leaders. Looking at Limerick again this year, having tall, strong half backs that can get on top in their positions and drive out is important. Diarmuid looks that type of player, he scored a great piont at the end. Actually, his striking is excellent, he gets great range.

Diarmuid in my opinion is a direct replacement for Malone in the middle , he lost his battle for 10 or 15 minutes in the first half against Malone but he definitely won the war over the 60 , connors has to be drafted in as shane o Donnells replacement for the league with Cooney interchanging ,

One player to look out for in the semi final too from the mills is colin crehan , similar hurler to Cooney with the same potential , maybe a bit early yet though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement