Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Dickie9 wrote: »
    Derrick lynch is a spoofer
    #myownopinion!

yeah he likes his twitter page alright , think he is not a patch on nicholas rynne or jim conlon on RCB in terms of insight and information , all the clare tv youtube videos i place on here are done by rynne after games

to be fair to derrick he is not a bad commentator but the twitter stuff i wouldn't pay much attention to

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a joke that 1 player can hold up a competition and that a competition goes until the middle of November before it's finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Any word on whether the Clare senior footballers will take part in the pre-season McGrath Cup in 2019? Also confirmation via The Clare People, that former All-Ireland winning goalkeeper Declan O'Keeffe will replace James Hanrahan, as Clare senior football goalkeeper coach, for the upcoming season ahead.

A big week for Clare football ahead, with St Josephs Miltown in the Munster senior club final against hot favorites Dr. Crokes on Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds. Also this weekend, a crowd of over 1,000 people is expected for the Clare Oskars set to take place at Traceys West County Hotel. This is a fundraising drive by both the Clare senior football and ladies football teams, in order to raise much needed funds for both teams. Expect the unexpected, that's all I say for the event that will take place this Friday.

Very disappointing end to St Flannans College Harty Cup campaign as they were well beaten by Midleton CBS today in Hospital. The full time score was Midleton CBS 2-19 St Flannans College Ennis 1-10. Serious reviews into how to improve hurling standards in the Ennis school need to take place, or else a continued and gradual decline in the hurling fortunes of Flannans will continue to deepen. Is Brendan Bugler and Jamesie O'Connor still coaching and teaching in the school, does anyone know?

It is clear that football is doing very well in the school and are expected to challenge for Corn Ui Mhuiri honours this season. That is obviously very welcome. But a root and branch review must take place in Flannans, to ensure that hurling standards from U14 up need to improve. Or else the only alternative is for St Flannans to drop a level to the B grade, which the hierarchy there are extremely reticent to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very disappointing end to St Flannans College Harty Cup campaign as they were well beaten by Midleton CBS today in Hospital. The full time score was Midleton CBS 2-19 St Flannans College Ennis 1-10. Serious reviews into how to improve hurling standards in the Ennis school need to take place, or else a continued and gradual decline in the hurling fortunes of Flannans will continue to deepen. Is Brendan Bugler and Jamesie O'Connor still coaching and teaching in the school, does anyone know?

It is clear that football is doing very well in the school and are expected to challenge for Corn Ui Mhuiri honours this season. That is obviously very welcome. But a root and branch review must take place in Flannans, to ensure that hurling standards from U14 up need to improve. Or else the only alternative is for St Flannans to drop a level to the B grade, which the hierarchy there are extremely reticent to do.

The lack of borders is affecting Flannan's massively, they have done nothing to look to work with neighbouring clubs to develop any kind of strategy, the complete arrogance regarding clubs around Ennis is still well in place. 1 or 2 people taking teams isn't going to turn Flannan's around, a complete review and strategy is needed to be put in place, engagement with neighbouring clubs and then they might start to feature again.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    The lack of borders is affecting Flannan's massively, they have done nothing to look to work with neighbouring clubs to develop any kind of strategy, the complete arrogance regarding clubs around Ennis is still well in place. 1 or 2 people taking teams isn't going to turn Flannan's around, a complete review and strategy is needed to be put in place, engagement with neighbouring clubs and then they might start to feature again.

Well said Clareman. To be honest I thought around 18 months ago when Flannans got to the final of the U15 A hurling final where they were narrowly beaten by a point by the highly rated Thurles CBS side, that they turned a corner. But clearly these issues regarding the lack of boarders plus not putting a plan in place, with the likes of the Banner and Eire Og Inis in Clare's county town, to ensure to maintain high standards on the hurling side is hurting them big time.

Personally I don't see that changing anytime soon. You talk about arrogance Clareman re clubs. To me the biggest arrogance falls on the face of the school hierarchy thinking that the U19 team are good enough for the Harty Cup A grade. Dropping to the B grade in all hurling grades will benefit the school hugely in the short, medium and long term. If they continue this reticence regarding dropping down to B grade then I wish them no luck in the future.

The young lads that played today against Midleton CBS tried their very best. But whoever is responsible for the decline of Flannans hurling must put their egos aside and put the interests of the school first. Big decisions lie ahead, that's for sure.

On a separate note, it is very disappointing to see our Clare schools struggling in the respective schools hurling competitions. Also many of our best young hurlers play for Ard Scoil Ris. They are also out of the Harty Cup. So no Clare representation it appears on the playing side for the knockout stages of the Harty Cup.

I have been saying for a few years now, that standards in underage Clare hurling are falling. It is up to those who have control of improving standards to raise their games again. That means more from both administrators and coaches to make sure that the right people are over the respective development squads, that can harness the potential of the players involved in these squads. We are falling back, but whether the current executive of the county board and the likes of Coiste na nOg Iomaint are doing enough to address the slide is very debatable.

Well said Clareman. To be honest I thought around 18 months ago when Flannans got to the final of the U15 A hurling final where they were narrowly beaten by a point by the highly rated Thurles CBS side, that they turned a corner. But clearly these issues regarding the lack of boarders plus not putting a plan in place, with the likes of the Banner and Eire Og Inis in Clare's county town, to ensure to maintain high standards on the hurling side is hurting them big time.

Personally I don't see that changing anytime soon. You talk about arrogance Clareman re clubs. To me the biggest arrogance falls on the face of the school hierarchy thinking that the U19 team are good enough for the Harty Cup A grade. Dropping to the B grade in all hurling grades will benefit the school hugely in the short, medium and long term. If they continue this reticence regarding dropping down to B grade then I wish them no luck in the future.

The young lads that played today against Midleton CBS tried their very best. But whoever is responsible for the decline of Flannans hurling must put their egos aside and put the interests of the school first. Big decisions lie ahead, that's for sure.

On a separate note, it is very disappointing to see our Clare schools struggling in the respective schools hurling competitions. Also many of our best young hurlers play for Ard Scoil Ris. They are also out of the Harty Cup. So no Clare representation it appears on the playing side for the knockout stages of the Harty Cup.

I have been saying for a few years now, that standards in underage Clare hurling are falling. It is up to those who have control of improving standards to raise their games again. That means more from both administrators and coaches to make sure that the right people are over the respective development squads, that can harness the potential of the players involved in these squads. We are falling back, but whether the current executive of the county board and the likes of Coiste na nOg Iomaint are doing enough to address the slide is very debatable.

Flannan's are Harty royalty, they won't be dropping down anytime soon. Historically Flannan's were always stronger than the Clare minors, there used to be an argument that the Clare minors would never feature because there was more of a focus on getting up for the Harty than for the Munster championship but the Flannan's team was boosted by borders from outside of Clare.

Eire Og have won the under 14 and seem to be doing great things with their academy so thatshould feed into Flannan's over the next few years but without proper linkage between clubs and schools there isn't going to be anything happening any time soon, Ard Scoil in Limerick did great work a few years back and worked with East Clare teams, that should go through.

If I was put in charge I would get rid of a lot of these stupid development squads and use the schools teams as feeder teams, the county board should have coaches going into every school to help coach teams but because of the politics this won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Flannan's are Harty royalty, they won't be dropping down anytime soon. Historically Flannan's were always stronger than the Clare minors, there used to be an argument that the Clare minors would never feature because there was more of a focus on getting up for the Harty than for the Munster championship but the Flannan's team was boosted by borders from outside of Clare.

Eire Og have won the under 14 and seem to be doing great things with their academy so thatshould feed into Flannan's over the next few years but without proper linkage between clubs and schools there isn't going to be anything happening any time soon, Ard Scoil in Limerick did great work a few years back and worked with East Clare teams, that should go through.

If I was put in charge I would get rid of a lot of these stupid development squads and use the schools teams as feeder teams, the county board should have coaches going into every school to help coach teams but because of the politics this won't happen.

It's a long time since Flannans were Harty royalty. Brian Geary left Ard Scoil Ris to join Flannans years ago, he was probably the last to leave for hurling. Since the Borders numbers declined, the poaching of hurlers from others schools has ended. The Gantleys were another example. Even when Clare were doing well at minor grade Flannans were getting well beaten in the past few years.

Figerty wrote: »
    It's a long time since Flannans were Harty royalty. Brian Geary left Ard Scoil Ris to join Flannans years ago, he was probably the last to leave for hurling. Since the Borders numbers declined, the poaching of hurlers from others schools has ended. The Gantleys were another example. Even when Clare were doing well at minor grade Flannans were getting well beaten in the past few years.

Flannan's and the North Mon will always be considered Harty royalty.

Fellas used to come from far and wide to Flannan's, Davy used to get the bus from the Bridge to Flannan's every day. Fellas used to repeat their leaving just to play Harty as well, I remember Martin Daly repeated his leaving in 91 and once the All Ireland was over he never came back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

...Fellas used to repeat their leaving just to play Harty as well....

That's not necessarily something I think the school should be proud of.....

• Advertisement

BnB wrote: »
    That's not necessarily something I think the school should be proud of.....

Nope but it was done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone else on here going to the Oskars thing tonight? Looking forward to it now.

Result: Munster Club Senior Football Final

Dr Crokes Killarney 1-21 St Joseph's Miltown 2-9

A brave but ultimately disappointing end to St Joseph's Miltown Munster campaign, as they lose by 9 points to an outstanding Dr Crokes team. The Killarney men now go on to the All-Ireland series. As for the West Clare men, a great campaign, culminating in their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Hard luck lads. They have done their club, parish, families and their fans exceptionally proud in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

It's time Darragh Mc Donagh is called up to Clare Seniors

They could run up a big score again but 10 points is a massive amount this time of year, bookies don't often make mistakes but I think that could be 1.

They just beat the spread

It's time Darragh Mc Donagh is called up to Clare Seniors

i imagine he will , he was there a few years ago before he got injured , had a good year in fairness

i imagine he will , he was there a few years ago before he got injured , had a good year in fairness

He's still a young lad I now he's been troubled by serious injuries still a massive talent

Result: Munster Club Senior Football Final

Dr Crokes Killarney 1-21 St Joseph's Miltown 2-9

A brave but ultimately disappointing end to St Joseph's Miltown Munster campaign, as they lose by 9 points to an outstanding Dr Crokes team. The Killarney men now go on to the All-Ireland series. As for the West Clare men, a great campaign, culminating in their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Hard luck lads. They have done their club, parish, families and their fans exceptionally proud in 2018.

cant fault miltown , best team in the county all year , excellent win in the semi final against the nire but one thing annoyed me today that i would like to see clare sides ditch against better opposition

i have no problem with the bad start , its when miltown had there period of dominance they brought the game back to 1-09 to 1-04 , miltown missed 2 or 3 scoring opportunities directly after that and crokes tagged on another score before half time , within 5 minutes of the second half crokes kicked 3 more and it was game over really

i know miltown played well enough today but the game would have changed completely had the scoreline been say 1-09 to 1-06 at half time it would have been game on ,
    like miltown portlaoise kicked 11 scores today and missed a late penalty to level there game against the dublin champions and gave them a real scare

this is the one area where clare football needs to improve next year so we can at the very least offer a serious challenge to any team club or county , that bit more efficient and to strike while the iron is hot is all that's needed

the one pleasing aspect from miltown as the game petered out was they kept playing , stuck to the game plan didn't get cynical and looked for scores , crokes are a serious outfit and have hammered most teams this year they met but its just a pity it wasnt closer at the break , it would have asked serious questions of crokes in the second half

He's still a young lad I now he's been troubled by serious injuries still a massive talent

collins had him on the panel after the last county final win a few years ago ao i expect him to be back on the panel next year

Suprised with Kevin Keavey been taking off at half time seems to get thru a fair shift and always seems to be the first to be taking off

Reminds me off Peter Duggan wen things not going well

He's d scapegoat

• Advertisement

Suprised with Kevin Keavey been taking off at half time seems to get thru a fair shift and always seems to be the first to be taking off

Reminds me off Peter Duggan wen things not going well

He's d scapegoat

not sure what age he is but he has a fair bit of milage on the clock he seems to be around with years , there is a lot of good young lads on the miltown bench too, but today the crokes half forward line was serious in the first half

not sure what age he is but he has a fair bit of milage on the clock he seems to be around with years , there is a lot of good young lads on the miltown bench too, but today the crokes half forward line was serious in the first half

Keavey is at least 32/33 seems to give his all the time goes thru massive amount I'd be leaving him on till least 45/50 mind

As for Graham Kelly it's just a pity about his temperament a serious footballer in his day it's just that always let him down

I no we've some serious forwards In the county coming thru. ...

Noel Downes and Seanie o meara had it all in d day with the clubs it's a pity they never showed that dedication to the county esp Downes the lad had it all

Result Corn Ui Mhuiri Munster Post Primary Schools Senior A Football

St Flannans 6-12 High School Clonmel 1-8

A very impressive 19 point win for the Ennis School as they comfortably booked their place in the last 8 of the Corn Ui Mhuiri. As I said previously, they are genuine contenders for the championship. They play great football and a stat that is very interesting, is in their last 2 wins in their group, they have racked up 10 goals and 24 points. Most impressive stuff from Flannans so far.

Result Corn Ui Mhuiri Munster Post Primary Schools Senior A Football

St Flannans 6-12 High School Clonmel 1-8

A very impressive 19 point win for the Ennis School as they comfortably booked their place in the last 8 of the Corn Ui Mhuiri. As I said previously, they are genuine contenders for the championship. They play great football and a stat that is very interesting, is in their last 2 wins in their group, they have racked up 10 goals and 24 points. Most impressive stuff from Flannans so far.

Match report below:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/st-flannans-seal-corn-ui-mhuiri-quarter-final-spot-with-six-goal-showing-888548.html

A North Clare amalgamation that consists of Kilfenora, Ballyvaughan and Michael Cusacks and a West Clare combo of O'Currys and Naomh Eoin, will compete in the 2019 Clare senior football championship. That's 14 teams that will take part in the race for Jack Daly. There will be a round robin format for the championship in 2019, with 2 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 3. The top 2 in each group will qualify for the 1/4 finals. All 4 semi-finalists of this year's Clare senior football championship will be seeded

Also in Clare football related news, Clare will open their 2019 McGrath Cup campaign against Waterford on the 6th of January in Fraher Field with a 1 pm throw-in. Limerick and Cork will play in the other semi-final.

In the Munster U20 Hurling news, Clare will play the winners of Limerick and Cork, in the semi-final of the championship.

Yeah the hope for 16 teams was based on 2 sets of two teams in north clare joining together not all 4 together , and coolmeen and kildysart joining , that amalgamation looks to have run its course at underage level also , there has been a fall out since the intermeadite semi final.between both sides it seems

Its a shame kilkee did not join up with there neighbours they would have 2 or 3 really good young lads that could add to that squad , north clare should be a strong amalgamation though

Good to see that Derrick Lynch will be part of the Clare Champion newspaper sports team. The Champion's sports coverage throughout 2018 has been deplorable and hopefully Lynch can breath new life into the paper, which has let its high standards slip over the past 6 months or so.

Good to see that Derrick Lynch will be part of the Clare Champion newspaper sports team. The Champion's sports coverage throughout 2018 has been deplorable and hopefully Lynch can breath new life into the paper, which has let its high standards slip over the past 6 months or so.

The new Seamus Hayes I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Yeah the hope for 16 teams was based on 2 sets of two teams in north clare joining together not all 4 together , and coolmeen and kildysart joining , that amalgamation looks to have run its course at underage level also , there has been a fall out since the intermeadite semi final.between both sides it seems

Its a shame kilkee did not join up with there neighbours they would have 2 or 3 really good young lads that could add to that squad , north clare should be a strong amalgamation though

What happened there? Shannon Gaels or Killimer could have joined that amalgamation too? Very surprised Kilkee not in that West Clare merger. How come Lisacannor not in with the North Clare amalgamation?

Not sure about the kilkee and liscannor situation think the quota is two intermeadite teams per amalgamation ,

Kildysart and coolmeen played two lets say heavy handed games against each other in the group stage , the first was called off after one player picked up a serious injury accidently the replayed game was alot more full on and kildysart in perticular were not happy with some of the treatment there younger players receved , they have canceled there amalgamation with coolmeen at underage leval as a result also i am led to believe

The fixtures for the Munster Minor Football Championship have been announced for 2019.

Clare along with Waterford, Tipperary and Limerick will take part in a round robin format, with the top two of this group taking on each other in the final, with the winners of that playing Cork and Kerry in Phase Two, with the top two in that group will qualify for the Munster Final. Clare will play on 3 successive Wednesdays in April of 2019. Here are the fixtures below.

Limerick - Away - 10th April
    Tipp - Home - 17th April
    Waterford - Away- 24th April

Also confirmation from Clare bord na nOg Iomaint that "underage hurling ages will remain unchanged in 2019 in Clare"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not sure about the kilkee and liscannor situation think the quota is two intermeadite teams per amalgamation ,

Kildysart and coolmeen played two lets say heavy handed games against each other in the group stage , the first was called off after one player picked up a serious injury accidently the replayed game was alot more full on and kildysart in perticular were not happy with some of the treatment there younger players receved , they have canceled there amalgamation with coolmeen at underage leval as a result also i am led to believe

Heard earlier Kilkee didn't want to join amalgamation. Surprised as think they were looking to join up previous years. Nearly harder for Kilkee lads to get off the team than on it as have very little coming through at the moment. Club really took eye off the ball at juvenile last 10/15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

Two Clare lads in the AFL Combine that is on today namely Cillian Rouine and Sean O Donoghue. The first I assume is the minor centre back from this year. Is the other the Yank from Cooraclare? Maybe there is another young fella of the same name? 19 in all in the combine good chance one of them will be picked up.

Two Clare lads in the AFL Combine that is on today namely Cillian Rouine and Sean O Donoghue. The first I assume is the minor centre back from this year. Is the other the Yank from Cooraclare? Maybe there is another young fella of the same name? 19 in all in the combine good chance one of them will be picked up.

You are correct regarding who they are. I really hope that both men will stay playing for the Banner County footballers. Two outstanding talents and will be a huge shame if one or both lads were to go to the AFL. However they along with their families must make that choice if the opportunity arises.

On a separate note, do you agree or disagree on the merits of these combines or trials taking place, the day before many inter-county teams start training for the 2019 season tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

You are correct regarding who they are. I really hope that both men will stay playing for the Banner County footballers. Two outstanding talents and will be a huge shame if one or both lads were to go to the AFL. However they along with their families must make that choice if the opportunity arises.

On a separate note, do you agree or disagree on the merits of these combines or trials taking place, the day before many inter-county teams start training for the 2019 season tomorrow?

Don't see when else would be a better time to hold them actually bearing in mind the 12 months of the year there is something on.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Heard earlier Kilkee didn't want to join amalgamation. Surprised as think they were looking to join up previous years. Nearly harder for Kilkee lads to get off the team than on it as have very little coming through at the moment. Club really took eye off the ball at juvenile last 10/15 years.

Kilkee doesn't have the population at underage, the town is almost like a shanty town with all the empty holiday homes, Kilkee has a lot deeper problems past the GAA unfortuntely

Don't see when else would be a better time to hold them actually bearing in mind the 12 months of the year there is something on.

If they were to play them at the height of the season it would be worse, this is end of season for both AFL and GAA so it suits both

Kilkee doesn't have the population at underage, the town is almost like a shanty town with all the empty holiday homes, Kilkee has a lot deeper problems past the GAA unfortuntely

yeah exactly the population has dropped significantly of late it, the parrish has a population of around 900 now , most of the town is holiday homes owned by people that visit during the summer now

900 people for a parish is very low , probably one of the lowest in west clare anyway

they are putting in the work now to rebuild the club which might take some time , so maybe passing on the offer to go senior with the amalgamation might not be so bad in the long run

very surprised to hear sean o'donahue is involved in this , he is most likely going to head back home (chicago) when his studies are finished next year or at most the year after

he probably is the best in the county after brennan and was a huge loss this past year in the championship for clare , but i am surprised to here he is interested in the combine to australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

very surprised to hear sean o'donahue is involved in this , he is most likely going to head back home (chicago) when his studies are finished next year or at most the year after

he probably is the best in the county after brennan and was a huge loss this past year in the championship for clare , but i am surprised to here he is interested in the combine to australia

The 2 year international rookie deal all the Irish lads sign is worth around €55k in direct salary (over 2 years that's €110k) Also the club covers accommodation, a car and a fairly decent number of flights back and forth, which means expenses are minimal (clothes and food). Even the lads who go for 2 years and don't "make it" should be coming home with a serious chunk of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I can see the appeal for Young lads, namely all the above and to be in a 100% pure professional setup, the experience and knowledge you would gain is immense, it could also help any of these lads down the road if they were to consider management

The Clare senior hurlers will take on their Wexford counterparts this Saturday, in a hurling challenge match in Tulla, with a midday throw-in. This is a match played in the memory of Jack Lynch, thus the name "the Jack Lynch Memorial Friendly", is in aid of Slainte An Chlair, Clare cancer support, which is based in Kilnamona and Raheen. Best of luck to all involved in what I'm sure will be a hugely beneficial day for those close to Jack.

On the football side, does anyone know of any new faces that Colm Collins has called up to his provisional Clare senior football squad for the upcoming season ahead?

Finally I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to the Sixmilebridge community, who are going through a most difficult time at present. Annette Fawl who was last seen after mass on last Saturday evening, did not turn up for work yesterday evening and the alarm was subsequently raised. Gardai are seriously concerned for her well-being and safety. Lets hope for a happy outcome in this case. Christmas brings out the best of people and I know a lot of people around Sixmilebridge and its surrounding areas have helped in the search to find Annette. Please God we will get positive news in the coming hours and that Annette will be found safe and well.

Unfortunately some devastating news coming out of Sixmilebridge this afternoon. A body has been found in the search for missing woman Annette Fawl. Formal identification of the body hasn't been confirmed as of yet. My thoughts go out to all of the community there and I'm sure the whole of Clare will rally behind the people of Sixmilebridge in this saddest of times.

FT Jack Lynch Memorial Hurling Challenge Match played today in Tulla

Clare 1-19 Wexford 2-13

Newmarket's Colin Guilfoyle with the Clare goal.

The 2018/19 Munster Post Primary Schools Senior A Football 1/4 final draw (Corn Ui Mhuiri) has been made and a very tough draw awaits St Flannans College in the new year. The Ennis school will take on defending Corn Ui Mhuiri champions Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne of Dingle, with a place in the semi-final up for grabs. If they manage to come through this tough match, they will play the winners of Colaiste Cholim Ballincollig or St Francis Rochestown in the last 4.

Rian Considine, Diarmuid Ryan, Aidan McCarthy and Keith Hogan are just some of the new names that are currently training with the Clare senior hurling panel at the moment. The panel for the league campaign, that will start at the end of January with a tough away match against Tipperary, won't be finalized until after the Munster League campaign. Inagh Kilnamona goalkeeper Pa Kelly has retired from inter-county hurling and Conor McGrath is taking a break from the game.

In football the Miltown contingent of Eoin Cleary, Kieren Malone and Gordon Kelly are taking a well deserved break after their endeavours with their club, that brought them into their first senior provincial club final in their history and their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Does anyone else know of any new additions to Colm Collins' senior football panel for the upcoming season, in particular any emerging talent from the good minor football teams in the last few years or so?

Finally the Clare county board convention will take place this weekend with a good few motions set for debate and discussion. Don't expect too many of the fireworks that may take place in Cork in their own CB convention this weekend, regarding the fiasco that is Pairc Ui Chaoimh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Rian Considine, Diarmuid Ryan, Aidan McCarthy and Keith Hogan are just some of the new names that are currently training with the Clare senior hurling panel at the moment. The panel for the league campaign, that will start at the end of January with a tough away match against Tipperary, won't be finalized until after the Munster League campaign. Inagh Kilnamona goalkeeper Pa Kelly has retired from inter-county hurling and Conor McGrath is taking a break from the game.

In football the Miltown contingent of Eoin Cleary, Kieren Malone and Gordon Kelly are taking a well deserved break after their endeavours with their club, that brought them into their first senior provincial club final in their history and their second Jack Daly title in 3 years. Does anyone else know of any new additions to Colm Collins' senior football panel for the upcoming season, in particular any emerging talent from the good minor football teams in the last few years or so?

Finally the Clare county board convention will take place this weekend with a good few motions set for debate and discussion. Don't expect too many of the fireworks that may take place in Cork in their own CB convention this weekend, regarding the fiasco that is Pairc Ui Chaoimh!

I think it's a good idea for Conor McGrath to take a break from hurling for a while. He has a dip in form the last two years and hasn't looked himself. The thing about McGrath we sometimes forget is that he broke through onto the Clare team very young, I think at about 19/20. He has started and played ever year, as well as both codes for Cratloe who are usually as the business ends of both county championships. You also have to factor in a couple of very serious injuries including a very bad hip injury, the type that ended Honan's career a while back. He has given huge service to both club and county it's crazy to think his is only about 27 years old. I think it's very hard for amateurs to go through all that along with the commitment that's required nowadays. It would be only human for a guy to just want to have a bit of down time for a while to a have couple of drinks with friends or go on a trip somewhere.

I'd love to see him back to his late 2013 and 2014 form, he is one of the best and stylish forwards we have produced since the turn of the century.

Cooraclare's PJ McGuane will remain on as vice-chairman of the Clare CB executive for another term. He defeated Cratloe's Jack Chaplin for the role at last night's Clare CB convention. Joe Cooney who is currently the Clare CB chairman says that during the period that he will contest for next year's local elections, he will hand over the reins to Mr. McGuane for that period, that's if he takes up the offer.

Once again the old guard shows no sign of relinquishing their roles in the hierarchy of Clare CB anytime soon. Any one looking for a revolution and major reform in the way the county board conducts its business, will be most disappointed with the executive staying put for another 12 months at least. At least the coffers are in a good place with a surplus of around 154,000 euros declared.

Cooraclare's PJ McGuane will remain on as vice-chairman of the Clare CB executive for another term. He defeated Cratloe's Jack Chaplin for the role at last night's Clare CB convention. Joe Cooney who is currently the Clare CB chairman says that during the period that he will contest for next year's local elections, he will hand over the reins to Mr. McGuane for that period, that's if he takes up the offer.

Once again the old guard shows no sign of relinquishing their roles in the hierarchy of Clare CB anytime soon. Any one looking for a revolution and major reform in the way the county board conducts its business, will be most disappointed with the executive staying put for another 12 months at least. At least the coffers are in a good place with a surplus of around 154,000 euros declared.

christ what age is he , he must be well in his 70s , he is a very intelligent man to be fair but he is a crook , i have heard some stories about the man down through the years , his ballybrack jibe towards teams planning on given a walk over next year sumed him up in a recent county board meeting

derrick lynch has often referred him as a legend of clare football lets just say i have my doubts about him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement