Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1088904715864289287

Generally I would be against putting John Conlon back, early from injury, so soon in the year. Having said that, it's by far the most experimental line up Maloney and O'Connor have played in the league in quite a while. I just notice Shanagher isn't on the 26, I hope its not injury related.

Hoping Deasy and Guilfoyle go well and take their chance, they have the skillset we could really use in the forward line. And so too Diarmuid Ryan, although I would prefer him at left half back instead of Malone. I'm not sure is Malone a half back in the making, I guess we will see. Also, I wish the best for the two McCarthy's on the right side of the backs, especially Aidan. I thought this year was a bit early but there is no doubt he is a serious talent. I think his brother Jason, at corner back is definitely worth a try as he is a tough player.

I'd like to see Rory Hayes and Gary Cooney get game time tomorrow and over the course of the league. I'd expect Ian Galvin and David Fitz will be given an opportunity to stake a claim for a starting spot. Good thing about this year is there is no relegation so there is latitude to test the squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Shanagher has gone travelling for the year I think, he won't feature

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Big match for the footballers on Sunday, to stay up they'll have to win their home matches but Donegal are probably going to go straight back up so I think we'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

As far as I know Shanagher had a problem with his hamstring and is out for 3 or 4 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Clareman wrote: »
    Shanagher has gone travelling for the year I think, he won't feature

Shanagher did damage to his hamstring. Will be back in a few weeks.

Cunningham is continuing his travels for another 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare Team v Donegal

1.Robert Eyres
    2.Kevin Harnett
    3.Cillian Brennan
    4.Gordon Kelly
    5.Dean Ryan
    6.Aaron Fitzgerald
    7.Eoghan Collins
    8.Gary Brennan
    9.Cathal O'Connor
    10.Cian O'Dea
    11.Jamie Malone
    12.Dermot Coughlan
    13.Kieran Malone
    14.Keelan Sexton
    15.David Tubridy

sasol wrote: »
    Shanagher did damage to his hamstring. Will be back in a few weeks.

Cunningham is continuing his travels for another 12 months

Not that it's good news that he's injured but it's good news he's around for the year, I thought he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

letowski wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1088904715864289287

Generally I would be against putting John Conlon back, early from injury, so soon in the year. Having said that, it's by far the most experimental line up Maloney and O'Connor have played in the league in quite a while. I just notice Shanagher isn't on the 26, I hope its not injury related.

Hoping Deasy and Guilfoyle go well and take their chance, they have the skillset we could really use in the forward line. And so too Diarmuid Ryan, although I would prefer him at left half back instead of Malone. I'm not sure is Malone a half back in the making, I guess we will see. Also, I wish the best for the two McCarthy's on the right side of the backs, especially Aidan. I thought this year was a bit early but there is no doubt he is a serious talent. I think his brother Jason, at corner back is definitely worth a try as he is a tough player.

I'd like to see Rory Hayes and Gary Cooney get game time tomorrow and over the course of the league. I'd expect Ian Galvin and David Fitz will be given an opportunity to stake a claim for a starting spot. Good thing about this year is there is no relegation so there is latitude to test the squad.

Really happy to see management going with that team, loads of lads getting an opportunity to challenge for a spot come summer against what is a strong Tipp team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Didn’t really expect us to win this evening and we just need to move on from that one.
    Awful conditions, diabolical ref and thought Tipperary were much hungrier than us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not a good day at the office. Sending off was a joke and who knows what would have happened with him on the field but Tipp wanted it more. Plenty of work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Didn’t really expect us to win this evening and we just need to move on from that one.
    Awful conditions, diabolical ref and thought Tipperary were much hungrier than us.

yeah that was my take at the game also just going watching it back now , tipp in fairness played the conditions better then us in both half's very hard to get worried about a result like that but it would have to be said that 0-2 points from play is terrible shooting regardless how bad the pitch or the weather was

we probably made a bit of a superstar out of paudi maher by bombing high balls in on top of him all night , he was the extra man in a two man full forward line for us , we will seriously need to take a look at how we use this tactic before the end of the league

most of our scores seemed to come from running at tipperary and winning frees , would like us to try and shoot from out the field a little more at times or play a 3 man full forward line and make the other team bring back a sweeper,

our full back line was poor to say the least , dont think anyone covered themselves in glory , david mac was caught for the second goal browne was badly caught out for the first , while jason mccarthy was out of sorts in the first half would like to see david mac come out to half back and someone like cleary move back

bad night at the office but thankfully its still only january :o

media interviews with both sets of managers after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

That ref shouldn't be let anywhere near an inter county game, an absolute disgrace, he simply doesn't know the rules of hurling

During the week there was clear instruction given that high tackles and bad handpasses were going to be penalised, Clare didn't seem to get the memo, saying that the red card to Kelly was the worst decision I've seen in a long time, I don't think Clare would have won anyway, we've real problems in the full back line against dropping ball

Clare 0-13 0-16 Donegal

spirited enough performance by the footballers going down by 3 points in the end to a better donegal side , the visitors were missing several starting regulars but still showed a strong hand , kicking 11 out of there 16 points from play , they scored 10 out of 11 chances created in the first half with just one wide with clare converting 8/11 chances created in the opening 35 minutes

while the first half was an open affair things got messy in the second , donegal kicking 10 wides most of which from range and ridiculas angles , while down the other end of the field clare created a number of half chances but ultimately out poor decision making was to blame on several occasions

clare did get it back to 1 point late in the game but donegal kicked into gear again in the 8 minutes of injury time played and saw the game out comfortably , form a clare point of view , our best preformers was gary brennan , gordon kelly kevin hartnet and cian o'dea , jamie malone had a particulary por game by his own standerds and probably need a few more games to get up to match fitness , dermot coughlan made his competitive clare debut , started slow but had a better second half , eoin cleary was a huge loss in the forwards though

ryan mchugh was probably man of the match , his work rate is unreal he controlled the game from his half back position setting up attack after attack for the visitors , while jamie brennan, jason mcgee and ciaran thomson caused us huge problems at times

donegal are probably one of the few teams in division 2 that are probably too good for this level and will bounce straight back up to division 1 , for clare with just to home games remaining we will need a road win in ennisklllen or thurles or both , it will be a tough ask to win up in newry against armagh next week as they are flying at the moment , with cork and fermanagh drawing today i think both sides will struggle this year and cant see either side wining any more then two of there remaining 6 games so the magic number for clare is probably 5 to 6 points to avoid the drop , dont think we will get relegated but we wont be in the promotion mix either

clare scorers
    David Tubridy (0-06, 0-03f).
    Gary Brennan (0-03)
    Gavin Cooney (0-01)
    Keelan Sexton (0-1,0-1f)
    Dean Ryan (0-01)
    Dermot Coughlan (0-01)

donegal
    Michael Langan (0-04, 0-04f)
    Jamie Brennan (0-03).
    Jason McGee (0-03);
    Ciaran Thompson (0-02),
    Eoghan Bán Gallagher (0-01)
    Hugh McFadden (0-01)
    Niall O'Donnel (0-01)
    Caolan McGonagle (0-01, 0-01f);

Tony Kelly appeal has been rejected :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Gael85 wrote: »
    Tony Kelly appeal has been rejected :mad::mad:
    terrible decision in my opinion but i feel tony is being used as a scapegoat because refs are going to try clamp down on these high/head tackles.Refs need to be consistent with these now if thats the way its going to be although hard to see that being giving as a red during the summer.

This could set a very messy precedent. If Tony Kelly's challenge on Maher is a red from now on, we should technically have multiple red card cases per game. I looked back on it, Kelly's left arm made contact with Mahers shoulder. And players like Pat Horgan are masters will the ball at dipping the shoulder and getting the shoulder/head caught in defenders arms. He got about 3 frees last year against us in the 2nd half of the Munster final.. should all those be red cards now?

At the end of the day, all hurlers are coached when they are taking on their man, to dip and lean in order to get leverage and strength. Contact with the shoulder and head happens regularly throughout a game. Are we calling all these red cards? The old rule was transparent because it was if a player deliberately struck an opponent high, fair enough it was red. But Kelly's was purely incidental, nobody could say he tried to do Maher.

I reckon they will clamp down hard now and ease off come championship , lets hope refs ignore the powers that be and use commonsense from now on

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1091668597372526592?s=19

Good to see Hayes get an oppertunity tomorrow, I think he can get the other corner back spot opposite Browne. Davy Fitz and Ian Galvin also get their chance to stake a place. Id have Ian as the front runner to the spot left behind by Reidy. In my opinion, Fitz is the most talented half back on the panel. But that doesnt mean I think he is the best, he needs to prove he is a proper back and that he is willing to play more physically and aggressive. He does that I think he should start.

I dont love continuing with Ryan and Malone in these positions. They are not their natural positions and I thought it show last Saturday. Anyway, you cant play Cleary and Malone in the same half back line, both are not good stickmen/distributors of the ball. I dont think Podge is a feasible option at 11 in the summer for me either, Id give Conlon time there or Deasy another go, despite being poor last Saturday.

Great to see Oisin O'Brien back on the panel. Hopefully he can get back to his '16 form, I like sticky corners like him.

There are too many players playing outside of there natural possitions ,

Swap golden with ryan or even guilfoyle , he plays way better as a forward , ryan is a half back or midfielder while malone is no more then a midfielder and as i said in the past move cleary back to full and bring mcinerney out to half back he is far more confortable as an attacking defender then static under a high ball at full back

I like hayes but he can have an off day at times its good hes in though , also good to see aidan mccarthy take to this level so well he always has been a prospect underage he looks to be living up to it at the moment

• Advertisement

Footballers travel to newry for there clash with armagh , not over confident on this one to be fair , Armagh are flying at the moment , with players like jamie clarke ,jamar hall rory grugan and the excellent jarleth og burns they are flying lately along with stephan cambell this probably the best forward line we Will meet in this division , niall grimley will give brennen a serious test also

History would suguest there is never much between the sides but i would give the Armagh men the nod here , i think for us the points will come in the last 5 games for us even a draw would be a huge result ,

Only change to the clare side is pearse deloughry is back in goal for the injured robert eyres , we have struggled with goalkeepers and kick out stratigies since deloughry left the panel two years ago. Good to see the cratloe man back

https://mobile.twitter.com/Clare_Football/status/1091464218761707522/photo/1

There are too many players playing outside of there natural possitions ,

Swap golden with ryan or even guilfoyle , he plays way better as a forward , ryan is a half back or midfielder while malone is no more then a midfielder and as i said in the past move cleary back to full and bring mcinerney out to half back he is far more confortable as an attacking defender then static under a high ball at full

I like hayes but he can have an off day at times its good hes in though , also good to see aidan mccarthy take to this level so well he always has been a prospect underage he looks to be living up to it at the moment

Three moves I would like tried:

1. Diarmuid Ryan at wing back (for obvious reasons

2. Oisin O'Brien, when back to full fitness, tried at full back. Then a half back line of Ryan - McInerney - Fitzgearld. That would give us a tough full back and a tall, strong hurling half back line, similar to what Limerick have. I think these are the type of players teams will look to have a half back in the modern game.

3. Aidan McCarthy to be developed as a midfielder. I know I'm contradicting myself, playing players out of position, but I think he has a skillset that can play midfield. We haven't found a quality midfield partner for Galvin in the 6 years he has been playing for Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

2. Oisin O'Brien, when back to full fitness, tried at full back. Then a half back line of Ryan - McInerney - Fitzgearld. That would give us a tough full back and a tall, strong hurling half back line, similar to what Limerick have. I think these are the type of players teams will look to have a half back in the modern game.

3. Aidan McCarthy to be developed as a midfielder. I know I'm contradicting myself, playing players out of position, but I think he has a skillset that can play midfield. We haven't found a quality midfield partner for Galvin in the 6 years he has been playing for Clare.
    Drop Cleary who has been one of Clare's most consistent backs over the last few years??? Also Fitzgerald is a poor defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Oisin O'Brien got turned very, very easily the last time he played for Clare in the championship.

McInenry is a fine full back, even at club level his distribution is very poor at Centre back.
    We have good spine, just get the half back line, including Cleary to attack and break through Mid-field now and again (like Limerick) to change the emphasis from hand and short passing out of defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Figerty wrote: »
    Oisin O'Brien got turned very, very easily the last time he played for Clare in the championship.

He wasn't fully fit and was rushed back to play.

will get to the hurling in a minute , but excellent stuff from david tubridy in newry to come back from 4 points down in injury time to snatch a draw , i didnt expect us to get anything from our first two games so it really is a huge result , first time i ever heard of a player score 1-1 from sideline balls

diarmuid coughlan only lasted 12 minutes into his second intercounty game after picking up a suspected broken ankle which could have him out for a while , lets hope its not as serious as that he is an excellent talent

cathal o connor also got sent off so he will miss next weeks game at home to cork

clare scorers
    David Tubridy 1-7 (0-2f, 1-1sl 0-1m),
    James Morgan OG 1-0,
    Dale Masterson, 0-1
    Kieran Malone 0-1
    Gordon Kelly 0-1

clare 2-20 1-22 kilkenny

a fussy referee yes but we are doing ourselves no favors by playing into the hands of these types of officials , 1-11 of kilkennys 1-22 came from placed balls , we play too much on the edge especially in the scoring zone

i taught diarmuid ryan , colm galvin and shane golden had excellent games while at this moment in time i would say conor cleary is probably our best defender

out of the other newcomers on to the panel , rory hayes had a solid afternoon while at the other end colin guilfoyle worked hard with limited supply while gary cooney took his score well when he came on he probably squandered a goal chance shortly after his introduction

next up is cork in pairc ui chaoimh on saturday week , we probably will need to work on the first touch between now and then and really need to sort out the discipline

clare scorers
    Peter Duggan 0-6 (4f, 1’65);
    John Conlon 1-1;
    Podge Collins 1-0;
    Colm Galvin, 0-3
    Diarmuid Ryan 0-3
    Ian Galvin, 0-2
    Shane Golden 0-2
    Colin Guilfoyle, 0-1
    Gary Cooney, 0-1
    Niall Deasy (f) 0-1

kilkenny
    Kevin Kelly 1-11 (1-11f);
    Ger Aylward 0-3;
    James Maher, 0-2
    Billy Ryan 0-2
    Conor Delaney, 0-1
    Conor Fogarty, 0-1
    John Donnelly, 0-1
    Padraig Walsh 0-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought Clare were much the better side today. This KK side lacked intensity and couldn't handle Clare's movement, passing and physicality. Although a lot of the frees awarded to KK were soft, Clare are not doing themselves any favours and are too indisciplined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

clare 2-20 1-22 kilkenny

a fussy referee yes but we are doing ourselves no favors by playing into the hands of these types of officials , 1-11 of kilkennys 1-22 came from placed balls , we play too much on the edge especially in the scoring zone

i taught diarmuid ryan , colm galvin and shane golden had excellent games while at this moment in time i would say conor cleary is probably our best defender

out of the other newcomers on to the panel , rory hayes had a solid afternoon while at the other end colin guilfoyle worked hard with limited supply while gary cooney took his score well when he came on he probably squandered a goal chance shortly after his introduction

next up is cork in pairc ui chaoimh on saturday week , we probably will need to work on the first touch between now and then and really need to sort out the discipline

clare scorers
    Peter Duggan 0-6 (4f, 1’65);
    John Conlon 1-1;
    Podge Collins 1-0;
    Colm Galvin, 0-3
    Diarmuid Ryan 0-3
    Ian Galvin, 0-2
    Shane Golden 0-2
    Colin Guilfoyle, 0-1
    Gary Cooney, 0-1
    Niall Deasy (f) 0-1

kilkenny
    Kevin Kelly 1-11 (1-11f);
    Ger Aylward 0-3;
    James Maher, 0-2
    Billy Ryan 0-2
    Conor Delaney, 0-1
    Conor Fogarty, 0-1
    John Donnelly, 0-1
    Padraig Walsh 0-1

Good win and solid performance from us today and great bounce back after last weeks loss. I’ll start with a few negatives. Gave away some awful stupid fouls in needless situations and we were sloppy at times when we should have intercepted some poor Kilkenny passes.

Impressed with Hayes in the corner and I must say I thought Malone and Golden were excellent for us. Really drove on and distributed plenty of quality ball. Fitzgerald does some many good things but is prone to a few poor errors as well and I’m not sure he is defensively sound. Podge, the two Galvins and Conlon were all lively throughout. There was a 10 minute period in the second half when we played brilliant hurling and took some fantastic scores.

Move onto Cork now who we have struggled against over the last few years so it would be nice to get a win against them.

What’s the situation with Morey and pat o Connor?

I thought Clare were much the better side today. This KK side lacked intensity and couldn't handle Clare's movement, passing and physicality. Although a lot of the frees awarded to KK were soft, Clare are not doing themselves any favours and are too indisciplined.

very much so and have been too in disciplined for years worryingly i cant see it change any time soon , jack browne is a target for most intercounty managers to wind up , i reckon 4 or 5 of kellys frees were of his doing today

i imagine kilkenny will take a lot out of that game today , especially with the ballyhale lads to come back and that , i think though looking at today the full forward line would be an area of concern at the moment , think billy ryan's 0-2 was only scores from play for the inside line

What’s the situation with Morey and pat o Connor?

both injured i believe , o connor was joint captain last year , jamie shanahan also to come back no david reidy either so in context this was a fairly decent win it probably go's to show just how light we were last week against tipp when we had to make 6 changes and probably down 5 or 6 ourselves

here were the stats from the game today , fussy ref or not we really need to tackle better , i would love to know how many of them 20 frees were conceded in side our 65

https://twitter.com/paulallen86/status/1092084525461635078

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Cork game moved to Pairc Ui Rinn while they figure out what to do with Pairc Ui Chaoimh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Cork game moved to Pairc Ui Rinn while they figure out what to do with Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Use it for the ploughing championships maybe ?? :D:P

the footballers take on cork tomorrow with a lighter then normal side starting , its likely the game has come too soon for both eoin cleary and sean o'donohue while cathal o'connor is out due to suspension dermot coughlan is also out for the rest of the league , 4 huge loss's for us on the positive david tubridy is on serious form he has scored 1-13 in two games , only 2 points shy of the 1-15 the entire cork side have mustered up in there two games

but missing the likes of o'connor in midfield and cleary in the forwards is huge they would walk on most teams in the country , but after fermanagh's win over kildare tonight a gap could start to develop in the relegation side of things if we lose tomorrow , it really is a must win game for us with our next two games on the road in newbridge and then enniskillen

a win and with 3 or 4 lads coming back into the panel after the break next week and anything is possible a defeat and it will be a tough last 4 games in the regelation scrap 3 of which are away

while the game is covered on tg4 tomorrow hopefully we get a decent crowed over in the park for it not like the debacle two years ago where less then 1000 turned up for the same fixture , there are a hell of a lot of lazy so called football supporters in west clare that seem to prefer to stay away rather then support , most of the football support at the moment is coming from the ennis area or north clare . hopefully the lads back west get the finger out tomorrow and turn up

https://twitter.com/Clare_Football/status/1093911028809822208

• Advertisement

Sounds like a great first half performance, hopefully they can keep it up

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1094606295892742144

Great result for the footballers and badly needed with Tipp beating Donegal and Meath beating Armagh

clare 3-13 1-10 cork

one time this would be a huge surprise of a result but not any more , cork football is in a disjointed place at the moment with little backing from there county board over the last number of years they struggled from start to finish in this one , the most worrying side of the result from a cork point of view would be the level of conditioning and fitness amongst the players , they were miles off what is required for this level , louth last year were the only team i have seen as bad

the tone was set early on , cork started with a strong wind and conceded 2 goals inside the first 4 minutes david tubridy in side the first minute and when conal o hainifinn found the net after 4 minutes it was 2-0 to 0-1 in clares favor , clare retreated 12 men behind the ball and picked off cork in the defense several times to find scores after this the pick of the scores coming from , dale masterson , conor finucane and an excellent tubridy point from play

sides went in 2-06 to 0-6 points at half time in the second half clare dropped off deeper again and went point for point for most of the 2nd half , the closest cork came to getting back into the game was through a ian mcguire goal with 15 minutes to go , the only goal chance cork created all day clare got the next two scores before substitute kerian malone rapped up the win comfortably with the 3rd goal at the death

clare were missing several regulars today , with eoin cleary , cathal malone , dermot coughlan , eoin collins , sean o donahue all out and with keelan sexton and pearse lillis picking up injuries the squad was stretched to the limit , some excellent performances by dale masterson ,conal o hanifinn , jamie malone and brennan once again , another 1-07 for tubs which keeps him top of the division 2 scoring charts with 2-20 only 4 points less then the entire cork team have managed over the last 3 games

Scorers –
    David Tubridy 1-7,
    Conal O hAinifein 1-0,
    Kieran Malone 1-0,
    Conor Finnucane 0-2,
    Jamie Malone 0-1,
    Dale Masterson 0-1,
    Dean Ryan 0-1,
    Sean Collins 0-1.

Game on TG4 now.

interviews after the game with the media , poor quality for the collins interview

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1094637514315497472

So 3 games in we're 1 point off top spot, have only lost 1 game and have the second best scoring difference, I'm sure we would have all taken that at the start of the league. The 2 week break is badly needed as a lot of players are to come back. On the road to Kildare and Fermanagh for the next 2 games, we really need to get something from 1 of these.I think 7 points will be needed to stay up.

Clareman wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1094637514315497472

So 3 games in we're 1 point off top spot, have only lost 1 game and have the second best scoring difference, I'm sure we would have all taken that at the start of the league. The 2 week break is badly needed as a lot of players are to come back. On the road to Kildare and Fermanagh for the next 2 games, we really need to get something from 1 of these.I think 7 points will be needed to stay up.

we have betan both teams in recent years we lost narrowly to fermanagh the day after the ballyea all ireland club final in 2016 where 6 or 7 of the panel were involved

kildare beat us by 1 point the last time we played them in newbridge a revenge win from the previous meeting where we won by a point , i always fancied these two away games from the start of the league , i didnt expect us to get anything from our first two games so the point in armagh was huge

but in truth we are not looking like anything near relegation candidates so i wouldnt worry about that side of the table for now

I think we are a very solid division 2 team but the draw this year wasn't favourable, you have to win your home games but as you say the point away was huge. We don't fear any teams that we've left to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Saturday nights match is on RTE 2 now as well as Eir Sport. 19.15.

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1096514486700257285

I think the team is pretty much taking shape. Another solid outing for Malone, Golden and Ryan and they should be set for the 7, 9 and 10 shirt for the first championship game. Really, the only positions up for grabs I think are at corner back, wing back and the temporarily vacated corner forward spot left behind by Shane O'Donnell. Injuries to Patch, Seadna and Shanagher have given these opportunities to Hayes, Fitz and Ian Galvin but all three had erratic games last week. Hayes and Fitz have undoubted talent, but I don't think their performances against KK were good enough, despite flashing. Hayes' indiscipline really needs to improve. Fitz is an incredibly frustrating player, all the talent you could want, but he just seems to lack hurling intelligence in how to defend properly or in his use of the ball right. He is still young but the onus is also on the management to coach the kid properly in how to be a solid wing back.

I feel slightly negative so far with how we are going. The Tipp performance wasn't good obviously and the KK win was a low quality game of hurling with just a few nice scores. They were missing all their best players. Cork will be interesting bc they are under pressure to get going. They will come hard so its a good test. But overall tbh, I'm sceptical that we are much better with the changes we have made from last years team. That said Golden has looked good and would be a huge boost if he could make the step up. Ryan is a quality prospect but we will most likely have to accept some inconsistent performances as he develops into the roaming wing forward role Reidy used to play, as he was always a back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1096514486700257285

I think the team is pretty much taking shape. Another solid outing for Malone, Golden and Ryan and they should be set for the 7, 9 and 10 shirt for the first championship game. Really, the only positions up for grabs I think are at corner back, wing back and the temporarily vacated corner forward spot left behind by Shane O'Donnell. Injuries to Patch, Seadna and Shanagher have given these opportunities to Hayes, Fitz and Ian Galvin but all three had erratic games last week. Hayes and Fitz have undoubted talent, but I don't think their performances against KK were good enough, despite flashing. Hayes' indiscipline really needs to improve. Fitz is an incredibly frustrating player, all the talent you could want, but he just seems to lack hurling intelligence in how to defend properly or in his use of the ball right. He is still young but the onus is also on the management to coach the kid properly in how to be a solid wing back.

I feel slightly negative so far with how we are going. The Tipp performance wasn't good obviously and the KK win was a low quality game of hurling with just a few nice scores. They were missing all their best players. Cork will be interesting bc they are under pressure to get going. They will come hard so its a good test. But overall tbh, I'm sceptical that we are much better with the changes we have made from last years team. That said Golden has looked good and would be a huge boost if he could make the step up. Ryan is a quality prospect but we will most likely have to accept some inconsistent performances as he develops into the roaming wing forward role Reidy used to play, as he was always a back.

You've got to remember this is the league and it's about finding a whole panel and not just a starting 15. To be honest I thought Hayes was very good against KK but again that was an experimental KK team considering they don't have a lot of their "big" players available. Browne is a massive worry, his aggression is going to get him in trouble. Don't get me wrong we have to be physical but we also have to be smart when we're tackling. Our puck-outs need to be addressed, I think Duggan could have a massive game tomorrow..

You've got to remember this is the league and it's about finding a whole panel and not just a starting 15. To be honest I thought Hayes was very good against KK but again that was an experimental KK team considering they don't have a lot of their "big" players available. Browne is a massive worry, his aggression is going to get him in trouble. Don't get me wrong we have to be physical but we also have to be smart when we're tackling. Our puck-outs need to be addressed, I think Duggan could have a massive game tomorrow..

Yeah, I like Hayes too. Very talented lad, I think he is definitely worth backing as he has a higher ceiling than Patch right now. I think the tackling issue with Hayes, Browne and others can be fixed on the training ground, but its something the management have to stay on top of for sure. Last year our discipline wasnt bad but we definitely had problems with it in previous years.

This year the management have been very clear by saying they won't be trying out the panel but they'll be putting out their strongest team for every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What do you guys make of the ref there, Cork 17 points from frees. Free count something like 32-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

management going on a team on form wtf...hopefully hogan won't get a game in goals again....cant understand why Ronan Taaffee wasn't giving a chance defence absolute shambles giving away frees continous basis....ud Ave to feel sorry for Kelly Conlan and probably Galvin hu gave there all.....at the end of d day bottlers should ave been 5+ points ahead at ht should Ave at least won by 3+ we deffo need a Centre back opened constantly cork could Ave 3+ goals score ln the 2nd half

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement