Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Waterford would want to play us in Waterford before the championship, what's the point in letter Clare get used to the place?

As a Waterford fan id welcome a Walsh Park game next Sat lol. Ennis is a long journey for us and tbh same for ye too Waterford

I'd be suspicious of this coin toss with ye having the football on already

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a must win game for the footballers, they are at a big risk of relegation if they lose this 1, at best they'll have to beat Tipp in Tipp to stay up. I don't think the pitch in the park could cope with 2 matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    As a Waterford fan id welcome a Walsh Park game next Sat lol. Ennis is a long journey for us and tbh same for ye too Waterford

I'd be suspicious of this coin toss with ye having the football on already

i think our county board would be against a double header as clareman said the pitch might not hold up , the last week or 10 days have been terrible weather wise and this week aint expected to be much better , if clare do win the toss then i would imagine the footballers of meath could be heading to west clare next Saturday

It's a must win game for the footballers, they are at a big risk of relegation if they lose this 1, at best they'll have to beat Tipp in Tipp to stay up. I don't think the pitch in the park could cope with 2 matches.

pj mcguane is running the shop in clareabby while joe cooney continues his local election campaign , pj is a huge football man and would love to see a huge crowd in ennis next Saturday but if pat fitz and co dont want it used for football it will be moved back west if we get Waterford at home , pj is a yes man and would have no objections

if i was to have a bet on it , my hunch would be that our county board dont want that kind of hassle next week and would prefer the hurlers had a trip south

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The new Clare jersey has been put back until April because "Pat Fitz isn't happy with it", was speaking to someone today who's daughter had her confirmation yesterday and noticed all the ManU/Liverpool jerseys and no Clare jersey and that was the reason all the parents had

• Advertisement

pj mcguane is running the shop in clareabby while joe cooney continues his local election campaign , pj is a huge football man and would love to see a huge crowd in ennis next Saturday but if pat fitz and co dont want it used for football it will be moved back west if we get Waterford at home , pj is a yes man and would have no objections

if i was to have a bet on it , my hunch would be that our county board dont want that kind of hassle next week and would prefer the hurlers had a trip south

Neither county wants to host the hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Garry Cup Rd 1. results

Kildysart 3-7 v 1-12 Corofin
    Doonbeg 3-11 v 1-2 Kilfenora
    O'Currys 0-6 v 0-7 St Joseph's Doora Barefield
    Cratloe 2-6 v 1-12 Kilmihil

Cusack Cup Rd 1. Results

Ennistymon 0-5 v 1-3 Éire Óg
    Miltown 0-7 v 0-4 Kilmurry Ibrickane
    St Breckan's 0-4 v 0-4 Clondegad
    Cooraclare 1-4 v 4-11 Lissycasey

Also this weekend had the Clare champions first Live game of the U21s season, Here's the Youtube channel they are using (saves on the Multiple clicks needed on the champions site to get to the stream)
    Kilmaley V Sixmilebridge

It's a great step forward, but still needs a lot of tweaks, but a least the county board has FINALLY decided to get with the times (Not like we've been asking them to for almost a year)

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Garry Cup Rd 1. results

Kildysart 3-7 v 1-12 Corofin
    Doonbeg 3-11 v 1-2 Kilfenora
    O'Currys 0-6 v 0-7 St Joseph's Doora Barefield
    Cratloe 2-6 v 1-12 Kilmihil

Cusack Cup Rd 1. Results

Ennistymon 0-5 v 1-3 Éire Óg
    Miltown 0-7 v 0-4 Kilmurry Ibrickane
    St Breckan's 0-4 v 0-4 Clondegad
    Cooraclare 1-4 v 4-11 Lissycasey

A few results might look like shocks espically the cratloe game , but this round intercounty players were excluded , jack browne was the only kilmihil player missing he rarely lines out for our league games anyway , cratloe missing several

Same applies to clondegad , good win for miltown without the clearys cormac murry gordan kelly and kieran malone Kib would still be strong enough without keelan and Dermot coughlan

There were u21 hurling games on over the weekend i will post them tomorrow along with the league tables for the club football

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

A few results might look like shocks espically the cratloe game , but this round intercounty players were excluded , jack browne was the only kilmihil player missing he rarely lines out for our league games anyway , cratloe missing several

Same applies to clondegad , good win for miltown without the clearys cormac murry gordan kelly and kieran malone Kib would still be strong enough without keelan and Dermot coughlan

There were u21 hurling games on over the weekend i will post them tomorrow along with the league tables for the club football

Lads on the fringe of the county were allowed play today. Cormac Murray kicked 5 of Miltowns 7 points before being taken off at half time going by the Miltown Twitter account but a good win none the less imagine they will win at least 4/6 with a full team and make a semi final.

Gavin Cooney scored eire ogs goal dont know how much of that game he played though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The new Clare jersey has been put back until April because "Pat Fitz isn't happy with it", was speaking to someone today who's daughter had her confirmation yesterday and noticed all the ManU/Liverpool jerseys and no Clare jersey and that was the reason all the parents had

Are things that bad that children won't wear a county jersey which is out of date?

The footballers are down for 1.30 and the hurlers for 3 on Saturday, couple of hundred miles apart

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/there-will-be-20-gaa-league-matches-played-this-saturday-1.3821724

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Are things that bad that children won't wear a county jersey which is out of date?
    Of course, they might wear them training but out and about kids only want to be seen with the new gear.

No child wants to be seen in old gear, some of the lads I play astroturf soccer with wouldn't be seen dead in last years kit.

No child wants to be seen in old gear, some of the lads I play astroturf soccer with wouldn't be seen dead in last years kit.

That's a sad state of affairs. I sometimes think the people in the older kit are sometimes more genuine fans for some reason. Like their top is worn as much because of the memories they have in it as to support the team.
    I'd love one of the old cotton Irish Rugby jerseys which had the 3 shamrocks on the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd love one of the old cotton Irish Rugby jerseys which had the 3 leaf clovers on the badge.

Sort of like a shamrock?

Good outcome to the coin toss I think, the hurlers will welcome a run out at Walsh Park ahead of May 12th.

It’s also a winnable game in any case, would be nice to reach the semi final

Sort of like a shamrock?

Touche

That's a sad state of affairs. I sometimes think the people in the older kit are sometimes more genuine fans for some reason. Like their top is worn as much because of the memories they have in it as to support the team.
    I'd love one of the old cotton Irish Rugby jerseys which had the 3 shamrocks on the badge.

You'd look a lot better wearing a 95/97/2013 jersey than you would a 2016 one, then again at my age I'm too old to be wearing jerseys anyway so it doesn't affect me

round up of club games over the weekend , conditions were terrible espically for the start of the u21 hurling championship , impressive start by kilmaley , inagh/K had a facile win over an under strength bodyke /mills amalgamation , the parish win over neighbors clarecastle was the standout win in my opinion

u21_A.jpg

U21_B.jpg

• Advertisement

football round up from division 1 to 3 , several teams very under strength in division 1 and 2 especially cooraclare ,cratloe and clondegad , bigest disappointment pf the weekend is wolfe tones offering a walkover to kilrush , lets hope its only a short term problem but it would seem they are haveing the same teething problems as last year in both codes

cusack_cup_rd1_1.jpg

cusack_cup_results_1.jpg

gary_cup_rd1.jpg

gary_cup_results.jpg

division_3.jpg

division_3_results.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Shag it. Santa brought me a new one at Christmas after having my Eircom one since 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

football round up from division 1 to 3 , several teams very under strength in division 1 and 2 especially cooraclare ,cratloe and clondegad , bigest disappointment pf the weekend is wolfe tones offering a walkover to kilrush , lets hope its only a short term problem but it would seem they are haveing the same teething problems as last year in both codes

cusack_cup_rd1.png

cusack_cup_results_1.png

gary_cup_rd1.png

gary_cup_results.png

division_3.png

division_3_results.png

Did Wolfe Tones give a walkover?

Gael85 wrote: »
    Did Wolfe Tones give a walkover?

Looks like it. It's a pity they couldn't get the refs names for the scores

Looks like it. It's a pity they couldn't get the refs names for the scores

its a massive improvement from the previous version but long way to go , lets hope they dont start getting lazy again and only updating it once every 6 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Some county Board to have the Mills playing in an amalgamation and in the B Championship on the same day.! Is that true?

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Some county Board to have the Mills playing in an amalgamation and in the B Championship on the same day.! Is that true?

a day apart i think , the B game was on the saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any word when draw for club championships?

Gael85 wrote: »
    Any word when draw for club championships?

sometime in April as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Mills played on their own Saturday and amalgamation played Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Hurling team for Saturday:

Touhy
    Morey mcinerney brown 
    O Connor cleary Malone 
    Galvin golden 
    Duggan Kelly Mccarthy 
    Cooney shanagher podge

Ok there's alot going on with this selection. First off this is one of the most blatant attempts I have seen of a management team keeping its cards close to its chest. Hayes and Ian Galvin are not even on the panel. I don't expect Clare to be going all out to win this one, which is a little annoying as there is no clear favourite for the league title, its there to be won.

With regards to the selection, my favourite part is the full forward line, we badly need Shanagher to get some gametime under his belt, he will play an important part of our summer no doubt. I also like the resting of Ryan for Aidan McCarthy. I actually think McCarthy could be the most suitable player in the next few years to play that grafter type wing forward role Diamuid Ryan has being playing well this spring. I will be looking forward to see how he gets on in it, long term it could allow Ryan play in his strongest position in the half back line.

Dont love the back line selections so much, I would have tried Seadna at wing back and given O'Brien a start he earned a fortnight ago. Seadna not a corner obviously but it not likely Waterford will play 3 inside so he will probably fjnd himself out the field. McInerney to wing back looks a non runner too, but then again, if the management want to hold their card close they wouldnt play him there.

Overall hoping for a good result but its no big deal if we lose anyway. Duggan needs to find some better form.

Football against Meath refixed for tomorrow Sunday at 2 pm in the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Gutless stuff from the Clare senior hurlers in Walsh Park today. If today has anything to go by, the Banner men will have a very short summer and early holidays by the end of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

O Connor should of got red for that dig...

Gutless stuff from the Clare senior hurlers in Walsh Park today. If today has anything to go by, the Banner men will have a very short summer and early holidays by the end of June.

Serious lack of workrate, lack of discipline and poor use of the ball, are just some of things that are so infuriating today, from a Clare point of view. Galvin, Morey, Shanagher, Podge just some of the players that are well below their best form. 4 losses in the Munster Championship a real possibility, for a Clare team that look a distant shadow of their 2013 best.

• Advertisement

The ramifications of this humiliating defeat, against a very physically strong and very skillful Waterford team are huge. The Clare and national media and ex-players will give it loads to them. The body language was shocking. No leadership. Two red cards. 31 points conceded. I finish with this. Is this current Clare team finished? Do they look burned out? Or is there a malaise in the camp? What do other posters think? A lot of soul-searching will be needed in the next 8 weeks, that is for sure.

The ramifications of this humiliating defeat, against a very physically strong and very skillful Waterford team are huge. The Clare and national media and ex-players will give it loads to them. The body language was shocking. No leadership. Two red cards. 31 points conceded. I finish with this. Is this current Clare team finished? Do they look burned out? Or is there a malaise in the camp? What do other posters think? A lot of soul-searching will be needed in the next 8 weeks, that is for sure.

i wouldnt panic really , it was a strange game , very low attendance for a league 1/4 final had the atmosphere of a club game , we were very under strength today especially in the forwards , while most of the first half seemed to be an exercise of working on our defensive system

gerry o connor said a few weeks back that they were only beginning to start work on there defensive structure i was hoping he was lying but it wasnt , ...
    i was fairly close to the sideline and with the small crowd at that side of the field you could clearly hear the instructions from coach Gavin Keary

the system of each man in the full back line picking up a man then instructing a player in the half back line to pick up some one who in turn is supposed to pass on the same info to the midfielders and wing forwards to watch for runners ect was confusing for the players
    on many occasions players were losing there own men while passing on instructions to teammates in front of them hence so many easy scores coughed up what also confused the players was some were given direct instructions to pick up particular players , cathal malone was given strict instructions to pick up shane bennett , who again did an excellent job keeping his man scoreless from play again
    for all the world we resembled a soccer team defending a corner kick and not knowing should we be man to man or zonal , waterford did not stick to there positions so it made man marking difficult , not taking anything away from waterfords excellent performance especially in the second half where they notched up 20 points in 35 minutes but we seemed more interested in getting this defensive game plan in place then going all out like waterford did

if there was a worry for the championship game in 8 weeks time , we worked heavily on our running game in the warm up before the game and got smothered in the middle 3rd when trying to implement the same game plan employed against limerick 2 weeks ago which left us with plan B and just hit long balls into an inexperienced gary cooney and a rusty aaron shanagher , at least we will have conlon and o'donnell back in 8 weeks time for that tactic to work better

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Football against Meath refixed for tomorrow Sunday at 2 pm in the park

what of the chances of it going ahead , it has made serious rain again today , plus the chief grounds man for the park was taken our frees in walsh park today , i hope it goes ahead for the meath players and supporters that have been stranded in the county waiting for the game to go ahead but i cant see it , we are promised another bad night tonight rain wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

i wouldnt panic really , it was a strange game , very low attendance for a league 1/4 final had the atmosphere of a club game , we were very under strength today especially in the forwards , while most of the first half seemed to be an exercise of working on our defensive system

gerry o connor said a few weeks back that they were only beginning to start work on there defensive structure i was hoping he was lying but it wasnt , ...
    i was fairly close to the sideline and with the small crowd at that side of the field you could clearly hear the instructions from coach Gavin Keary

the system of each man in the full back line picking up a man then instructing a player in the half back line to pick up some one who in turn is supposed to pass on the same info to the midfielders and wing forwards to watch for runners ect was confusing for the players
    on many occasions players were losing there own men while passing on instructions to teammates in front of them hence so many easy scores coughed up what also confused the players was some were given direct instructions to pick up particular players , cathal malone was given strict instructions to pick up shane bennett , who again did an excellent job keeping his man scoreless from play again
    for all the world we resembled a soccer team defending a corner kick and not knowing should we be man to man or zonal , waterford did not stick to there positions so it made man marking difficult , not taking anything away from waterfords excellent performance especially in the second half where they notched up 20 points in 35 minutes but we seemed more interested in getting this defensive game plan in place then going all out like waterford did

if there was a worry for the championship game in 8 weeks time , we worked heavily on our running game in the warm up before the game and got smothered in the middle 3rd when trying to implement the same game plan employed against limerick 2 weeks ago which left us with plan B and just hit long balls into an inexperienced gary cooney and a rusty aaron shanagher , at least we will have conlon and o'donnell back in 8 weeks time for that tactic to work better

How far did Podge wander from Corner forward... I think the shadows were boxing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

With O Donnell and Conlon back the forwards will be fine. It's the backs that are atrocious. 14 points scored against Clare again from frees. This management team are all corporate baloney and no action.

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    How far did Podge wander from Corner forward... I think the shadows were boxing today.

podge was out the field all day but very much lost in the middle 3rd as Waterford muscled us out of it there , he rarely was seen inside at any stage , he offered very little in either on the 40 or inside , it seemed callum lyons was picking him up for most of the game and did a fairly good job , a player i haven't seen much of before

With O Donnell and Conlon back the forwards will be fine. It's the backs that are atrocious. 14 points scored against Clare again from frees. This management team are all corporate baloney and no action.

yeah i dont get it at this stage either , its one thing to play on the edge but backs need to know how to play a referee too , browne is gone beyond a joke at this stage , david mc for all our criticism had a fine game today though probably the only positive

Any word on U21 refixtures?

Windy I always love your opinions, but personally I would be in panic mode. Yet again we were beaten up in the physicality stakes which is something not new with this Clare team.

Where were Podge Collins who has had a shocking 2019 so far, likewise for David McInerney, Pat O'Connor and co, our so-called leaders in the team in the 2nd half? The loss of Paul Kinnerk has been massive. Our tackling and our workrate, are light years behind than what it was in 2013.

I really hope that this woeful performance was down to doing heavy-training or training a few hours pre-game because by the end of the game, Clare looked disinterested and dead in their feet by the time the ref blew the full time whistle.

I feel that we have a very poor S&C coach in Kelvin Harrold. He is meant to be full-time S&C coach for all Clare underage hurling teams, aswell as being part of the senior hurling set-up. Look at the lack of size, of all our recent underage teams and you will see that he is not doing the job, he is meant to be doing.

Compare to Galway where the size and the conditioning of the tribesmen is simply extraordinary. Joe Canning is in the best shape of his life from what I saw today v Wexford. He covered every blade of the field in Salthill. This is the same S&C coach (Lukasz Kirszenstein is his name) that even Munster rugby wanted to snap up. He was also the S&C coach for Tipp in their run to All-Ireland glory in 2016.

So what do we need to improve. Our tackling. Our workrate. Better use and impact of the subs bench. Not putting enough scores when we have the advantage of the elements, if the weather is ugly. Our discipline is clearly a massive worry, but a better return of some of our marquee players is in my opinion the most concerning ahead of championship. A disappointing day at the office that is for sure.

Meanwhile I cannot see Clare and Meath playing tomorrow in Ennis. I have never seen the River Fergus this high in Clare's county town, since the conclusion of works to alleviate flooding in the town and definitely not in this time of year. More rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Even the Paddy's day parade might be in doubt too!

With results going Clare's way today, the footballers have a huge chance to go a long way to sealing their Division 2 status against a team they have had an abysmal record to say the least. Best of luck to them.

By my reckoning the game against Meath doesn't make a difference to the footballers. If the win they'll be on 5 points going into the last game against Tipp, if Tipp beat us then they'll have 5 points but will be ahead of us based on the the head to head, if they lose they'll be on 3 points going into the last game and will need to beat Tipp to stay ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Clareman wrote:
    By my reckoning the game against Meath doesn't make a difference to the footballers. If the win they'll be on 5 points going into the last game against Tipp, if Tipp beat us then they'll have 5 points but will be ahead of us based on the the head to head, if they lose they'll be on 3 points going into the last game and will need to beat Tipp to stay ahead of them.

If we beat Meath we would be on 5 points which means we could afford to lose to Tipp next Sunday as long as Cork beat Armagh. We would all be on 5 points so it would come down to scoring difference, in which case we currently have the best record. We would need to avoid a hammering from Tipp though. If Cork lose to Armagh and Tipp beat us we would be relegated on head to head.

If we were to lose narrowly to Meath we could potentially stay up by drawing with Tipp and Cork losing to Armagh with scoring difference being in our favour. There are a few different permutations but basically it all comes down to the Tipp game next Sunday like you said, we just need to avoid a hammering from Meath so that our scoring difference is the best in case it comes to that.

Some random thoughts on the hurling:

League or not it was atrocious.

The ref certainly didn’t help us, but we gave away some awful stupid frees. Again.
    It’s surely a percentages game. The likes of Horgan, Canning, Mahoney etc will score 90%+, if you just pressure the man the conversion rate will be less.

No score from play in the second half, we barely even hit a wide from play. I know Conlon and O'Donnell will come back, and Kelly had an off day, but nobody stepped up. (How sharp will SOD be?)

POC could be in bother, looked like he struck Bennett twice with the hurley (what the F was he thinking ?)

Duggan’s two yellows don't mean a suspension right ?

Cleary’s red was harmless enough, ive seen similar being rescinded (Patrick Horgan?). We need Cleary for the championship. Again, I don’t think the ref did us any favors.

It looked like Colm Galvin picked up an injury to shoulder or arm, that is not good news (if serious). Today things got worse after he went off.

I do wonder is Jack Browne a bit of a liability, seriously needs to work in his tackling, but yet he’s been on the county team for what, 3+ years ?

What a miss at end of 1st half by Cooney !

League or not it was atrocious.

The ref certainly didn’t help us, but we gave away some awful stupid frees. Again.
    It’s surely a percentages game. The likes of Horgan, Canning, Mahoney etc will score 90%+, if you just pressure the man the conversion rate will be less.

No score from play in the second half, we barely even hit a wide from play. I know Conlon and O'Donnell will come back, and Kelly had an off day, but nobody stepped up. (How sharp will SOD be?)

POC could be in bother, looked like he struck Bennett twice with the hurley (what the F was he thinking ?)

Cleary’s red was harmless enough, ive seen similar being rescinded (Patrick Horgan?). We need Cleary for the championship. Again, I don’t think the ref did us any favors.

It looked like Colm Galvin picked up an injury to shoulder or arm, that is not good news (if serious). Today things got worse after he went off.

I do wonder is Jack Browne a bit of a liability, seriously needs to work in his tackling, but yet he’s been on the county team for what, 3+ years ?

What a miss at end of 1st half by Cooney !

in defense of the forwards in the second half there was no golden or galvin in midfield so the ball won in the middle 3rd was limited although ryan taylor did his best to change that but it was against a gale force wind , cooney had a good game for a lad starting his 2nd competitive game he will come good in a few years time his miss was poor but it wouldnt have made a massive difference i dont think

clearys red was as soft as ****e but under the new laws it wont be over turned , there were two cameras right beside him and i doubt it will improve his case , only hope is they see his eyes were on the ball and he was trying to catch it with his right hand and lost control of his hurl

not sure about the injury to galvin i didnt see him going off , but as regards browne , unless management have instructed him to be as aggressive as he is , they really should be on him by now , again today i never saw that gavin keary say anything to him about his discipline on the sideline even though he picked up an early yellow card

how sharp will o'donnell be , what i hear he has been training with the athletic squad outside so fitness should not be a worry but sharpness could be , he will be home in less then 3 weeks though i have been told so plenty of time

yeah we could put out the clare masters team with seamus clancy and beno for the meath game it really wont matter unless we win in thurles now

?

duggen is not banned thankfully but patch could be in trouble alright if the ccc get a tape although i think david fitz has him beaten for his position for the championship , o'connor was poor today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement