Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Cork 3-9 Clare 0-14

Well the old saying of goals win matches, couldn't be more truer tonight. Our defensive was caught napping several times by good Cork play, resulting in plenty of overlaps for the rebels, that the Clare lads could not deal with.

However despite this disappointing loss for the Banner county, there were some immense performances from Clare. Shane Meehan. What a amazing talent. He is like a jumbo jet, such his is amazing ability to duck and dive to win frees and his extraordinary pace to burn was too much for the Cork lads to keep up with. Dara Nagle and Jamie Stack were also influential and chipped in with very good scores.

In defense I thought that Michael Garry and another dual minor Cillian McGroary were most impressive with their tenacity to win ball back and in Cillian's case his ability to run at speed from the back was a joy to behold. In general I could not fault the effort from ourselves. Cork don't become a bad team overnight and that certainly showed today.

So Kerry next in 7 days time. It looks the impossible task, but knowing Dermot Coughlan and his selectors, they and the lads will dust themselves down and reflect on a brave but ultimately defeat in the end. Plenty of positives going forward but with Clare's 6th match in a space of 7 weeks, tiredness and fatigue will be an issue. Still plenty of heart from these lads which is most positive going forward.

A very interesting tweet by Derrick Lynch from the Clare Champion this evening. He may be referring to an Cusack Cup game this evening.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1129802758868148224

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

A very interesting tweet by Derrick Lynch from the Clare Champion this evening. He may be referring to an Cusack Cup game this evening.

He definitely is, fairly scumbag comment to be making towards someone who was a great player for the banner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i would love if lynch named and shamed the person responsible for the comments , i have heard some serious crap aimed at top clare players over the years , cathal malone got some dose of tons of clare supporters last year despite being one of the best defensive midfield players in the championship last year , tony kelly was the worst though , a few weeks after missing a last minute free off the post in an all ireland minor semi final back in 2011 against galway kelly was involved in a club minor game a few weeks later where he was just about to take a free for ballyea against sixmilebridge where a supporter about 4 times his age shouted in
    "go way kelly you useless p***k you just cost us an all ireland " :confused:

some people should not be let near a gaa field

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Great report there Donald Trump.
    You seem to have a great knowledge of the team etc. so perhaps you will be kind enough to settle a small bet for me. A friend of mine maintains that the majority of the Clare minor football team will be eligible to play u 17 again next year. If that is true, then this was an extraordinary performance and from listening to the game on Clare FM it seems they were unlucky to loose?
    Thanks in advance.

wackokid wrote: »
    Great report there Donald Trump.
    You seem to have a great knowledge of the team etc. so perhaps you will be kind enough to settle a small bet for me. A friend of mine maintains that the majority of the Clare minor football team will be eligible to play u 17 again next year. If that is true, then this was an extraordinary performance and from listening to the game on Clare FM it seems they were unlucky to loose?
    Thanks in advance.

Brendan Rouine, Matthew Reidy, Dara Nagle, Cillian McGroary and Shane Meehan are just some of the names that will be eligible for U17 next year. Yeah this is a very good Clare team and were desperately unlucky to not defeat the rebels, last Wednesday. Kerry next Thursday will be a very tough task.

But knowing the heart they have shown throughout this year, expect another brave performance from these lads under the management lead by Dermot Coughlan, who is an outstanding coach and manager. Possibly the next Clare senior football manager come 2020.

Thank you Donald. Looks like I lost my bet when you say those five lads are just SOME of next year's team.
    Might get my money back by having a little wager on them to come good next year?
    Your prompt reply is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Clareman wrote: »
    Clarecastle took the eye off the ball for a few years, they concentrated on their facilities while most of their senior players too up coaching roles with other clubs which left to a vacuum, it shouldn't be long until they come back though they seem to have grear structures in place, saying that having a strong Ballyea won't do them a favour.

I think the emergence of Ballyea is a bigger contributor. If you went back to when Clarecastle were last successful they had a lot of hurlers from that area. They don’t have that talent pool now and won’t for foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

wackokid wrote: »
    Thank you Donald. Looks like I lost my bet when you say those five lads are just SOME of next year's team.
    Might get my money back by having a little wager on them to come good next year?
    Your prompt reply is much appreciated.

Fahy and Talty also available next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Even though we were not playing, yesterday still significant bearing on our chances in the hurling.

As feared, Tipp are now coming to town red hot and full of confidence. 4-58 scored in two games is a ridiculous number. I've said previously, Clare have to come out of the traps fast in this one, we cannot afford to slip behind early because they have too much firepower. One aspect of our game that I cannot emphasise enough is our work rate from 8-15. We worked hard against Waterford in fairness, but it needs to go up another notch. I think Podge will play deeper in this game. If the Tipp half back line and midfield are allowed to come out unchallenged to spray lovely diagonal balls into the forwards, we can forget about it. Having said that, I do think we can test out their rearguard and I'd like to see us run at them around midfield/half forward where I think they have questionable pace. I think we can win this game, but work rate and discipline is everything to our chances in two weeks.

Cork beating Limerick really showed that they are going to be a massive proposition for us in the final round (not that they already weren't). But getting that win down the Ennis Road yesterday, they will have full confidence in their ability to turn us over in our backyard too. They have had our number since 2013 and I'd expect them to have two wins going when they arrive. Limerick losing means the game against us will be a bloodbath, packed house, it will be a proper edgy Munster championship game.

It's must be said, we have won our first game away from home but it still feels like its a huge task just getting out of the province. Tickets for the bank holiday weekend are almost sold out so it should be a great occasion when Tipp come to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Which terrace is the best in Cusack Park, North, East or west? Going on the 15th and Would preferably like to be in with mainly Cork...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Which terrace is the best in Cusack Park, North, East or west? Going on the 15th and Would preferably like to be in with mainly Cork...

Lidl end. It near the Gort Road end.. you can't miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If its raining the North terrace would be better because of the roof. It also runs along the length of the pitch.

With the Clare U20 hurlers getting their Munster Championship campaign underway in about 6 weeks time against the winners of Limerick or Cork in the Munster semi-final, I'm just wondering how challenge matches are getting on for the lads. We have a very strong team this year and any word on how preparations are getting on for Sean Doyle's charges will be most welcome.

Meanwhile how are preparations for the Clare U20 footballers are getting on? They play their U20 league opening match, a pre-season competition against Westmeath on Saturday week. Again we have a very strong team this year. I hope that Cillian Rouine is part of the panel, an outstanding footballer who took part of the AFL draft in Dublin late last year. Seamus Clancy is manager of the U20's, for the second year in a row. We play Waterford in around 6 weeks time in the Munster Championship quarter-final, with the winners playing Cork in the semi-final.

Full-time

Munster minor football championship

Kerry 1-16 Clare 0-11

A most brave effort from Clare tonight. Credit to Dermot Coughlan, his management and the players, who have done their clubs and their families proud after a positive campaign from the lads. They started training back in November so I hope they go on and reflect on the many positives and the great football that they played throughout the campaign. Hard luck lads!

• Advertisement

They were indeed a credit to all. They were up against 'probably' a better Kerry minor team than recent years. Just my opinion.
    One of two more good forwards and these lads will be very good. After Jamie Stack scored a mighty point from an impossible angle and against a stiff breeze early on, the omens looked good for Clare. Meehan spent most of the first half grafting away from goal but in the second half with the wind he was unmarkable close to goal. Most of the Kerry backs took turns on him but all went home with yellow cards as souvenirs, one of them even had a black card to cherish. He was worth the entrance fee to watch.

Who was that 'maor foirine' with the baseball cap that ran himself into the ground, sprinting with instructions to the players.? He did it for 65 minutes and was going full pelt at the end. The crowd loved him.

Great news for Clare hurling and indeed GAA fans in general. Conor McGrath has returned from his long injury lay-off and played for Cratloe in tonight's Clare Cup match against Newmarket-on-Fergus. He will probably take a gradual and pragmatic approach with his return and don't expect him to return to the saffron and blue jersey of Clare for the remainder of the 2019 campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Great news for Clare hurling and indeed GAA fans in general. Conor McGrath has returned from his long injury lay-off and played for Cratloe in tonight's Clare Cup match against Newmarket-on-Fergus. He will probably take a gradual and pragmatic approach with his return and don't expect him to return to the saffron and blue jersey of Clare for the remainder of the 2019 campaign.

Who won that match?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I also heard Rory Hayes will be staying in Ireland this summer and playing for Clare. Ian Galvin has reportedly linked back up with the panel too. Good news too, hopefully rumours are true.

Davy once again making a fool of himself yet again. I really hope that this bluffer never gets anywhere near an inter-county job post-Wexford after his antics on the sideline, showing the gaa world what a "you know what" he is. There should be some kind of revolt here, if he does return to the Banner county senior gig come 2020, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Davy once again making a fool of himself yet again. I really hope that this bluffer never gets anywhere near an inter-county job post-Wexford after his antics on the sideline, showing the gaa world what a "you know what" he is. There should be some kind of revolt here, if he does return to the Banner county senior gig come 2020, that's for sure.

As long as it gets the intended reaction from his players then he isn't going to change anytime soon. And he was spot on about Cody in his interview. It's the style of shi*e hurling he advocates that should be the reason not to bring him back not his behaviour on the side line.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    As long as it gets the intended reaction from his players then he isn't going to change anytime soon. And he was spot on about Cody in his interview. It's the style of shi*e hurling he advocates that should be the reason not to bring him back not his behaviour on the side line.

exactly , i believe wexfords progress has been severely hampered since he took over , i cant see any improvement in wexford since he took over ,

he is testing his limits in wexford at the moment by criticising jim bolger for having an opinion on his tactics , its only a matter of time before he gets the door i feel down there

he wont be clare senior manager any time soon but the worry is if he starts getting involved at under age level again , very possible in the next few years as he is involved with the bridge and his buddy bruiser is over the 17s

Fixtures for Clare inter-county teams this weekend

Clare U20 footballers v Westmeath U20 footballers - Liam O'Connor Cup, Saturday at 2 pm in Miltown Malbay

Clare ladies footballers v Limerick - Munster Ladies Intermediate football championship, Saturday 5 pm in Cusack Park Ennis

Clare senior footballers v Kerry - Munster senior football championship semi-final, Saturday 7 pm in Cusack Park Ennis

Clare U17 hurlers v Tipperary U17 - Munster U17 hurling championship, Sunday 2 pm in Cusack Park Ennis

Clare senior hurlers v Tipperary, Munster senior hurling championship, Sunday 4 pm in Cusack Park Ennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What was the quote about Cody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

letowski wrote: »
    I also heard Rory Hayes will be staying in Ireland this summer and playing for Clare. Ian Galvin has reportedly linked back up with the panel too. Good news too, hopefully rumours are true.

Was there rumour a couple weeks that Ian Galvin had been dropped from panel? Would be a huge addition to the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What was the quote about Cody?

He didn't mention Cody specifically, despite popular opinion he is far to clever for that, Cody would chew him up and spit him out!, he claimed that 'certain other people' are allowed to enter the pitch and berate officials but not him, Davy loves playing the victim but he probably has a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

I understand Clare and Tipp is 'sold out' but in the case of season tickets where does one go to buy a stand ticket on Sunday and from what time etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

How will the Clare team line out on Saturday?What changes are expected?

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    How will the Clare team line out on Saturday?What changes are expected?

If you are referring to the football v Kerry, then the likes of David Tubridy, Sean O'Donoghue and Cathal O'Connor are fit again and raring to go ahead of the visit of the Kingdom County to Ennis this Saturday. In fact according to Clare manager Colm Collins, all the squad are fit and ready for this mammoth battle come 7 pm on Saturday.

In relation to Sunday's hurling match against Tipperary, the only change that I see is the return of Conor Cleary, after he served his one match suspension against Waterford 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks it was the football I was referring too.Who will lose out from last day?

I believe that Darragh Bohannon will make way for Cathal O'Connor. Sean O'Donoghue and David Tubridy will replace Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney respectively. Don't be surprised if Kieren Malone, who was replaced at half-time against Waterford 3 weeks ago, doesn't start too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

I believe that Darragh Bohannon will make way for Cathal O'Connor. Sean O'Donoghue and David Tubridy will replace Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney respectively. Don't be surprised if Kieren Malone, who was replaced at half-time against Waterford 3 weeks ago, doesn't start too.

Is Pearse Lillis gone travelling? Who was sub goalie for Waterford game?

Brian Lohan, a longtime critic of the Clare county board, has laid the boot into them once again saying that they lack dynamism and needs a fresh approach. Doubt that Pat Fitz will take this lightly imo knowing what a bully the Sixmilebridge clubman is and what he is capable of. Fair play to Lohan, a Clare legend, a warrior and a man that is prepared to take on the establishment, in this case the Clare county board. Here is more in the link below. He also had a pop at Davy too. Fair dues to Brian. We need more of him that's for sure to ensure accountability at the CCB executive that has well past its sell by date.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/brian-lohan-on-davy-some-of-the-antics-theyre-not-great-927334.html

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is Pearse Lillis gone travelling? Who was sub goalie for Waterford game?

Pearse has gone travelling to America I believe. I don't know who was the sub goalie for the Waterford game. However it appears that Eamonn Tubridy and Robert Eyres will be battling it out to be Number 1 this Saturday. Harsh on Stephen Ryan though who I thought did very well against the Deise men, three weeks ago.

Well, when you do an interview like that in my view you should be excluding yourself from being a prospective manager of a County team in the eyes of any county board.

Tipp would have some ammunition if Clare were to come to Thurles with Brian Lohan at the helm next year for example.

Well, when you do an interview like that in my view you should be excluding yourself from being a prospective manager of a County team in the eyes of any county board.

Tipp would have some ammunition if Clare were to come to Thurles with Brian Lohan at the helm next year for example.

I would think we had moved past that mentality of beating the walls before matches over something like that that comment. It's not really working for Davy Fitz!

You could argue that Lohan is just planting doubt into Bubbles head...coming to Ennis, crowd close in and sticky corner back..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tickets for Sunday's match have come on sale again in case anyone is looking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Back to Ireland this weekend for the hurling. I have a terrace ticket. I presume that means I can go in any of the areas apart from the seated stand?

I’m not confined to the Aldi end for instance if I have that ticket.

Back to Ireland this weekend for the hurling. I have a terrace ticket. I presume that means I can go in any of the areas apart from the seated stand?

I’m not confined to the Aldi end for instance if I have that ticket.

Once you area in the ground you can go wherever you want but you'll have to go in the gate for your ticket, I think it's West & North Terrace by the Cloister, West and North by Aldi, I think stand tickets can go in by Aldi and the Friary, the Friary might allow West terrace tickets as wel

Figerty wrote: »
    I would think we had moved past that mentality of beating the walls before matches over something like that that comment. It's not really working for Davy Fitz!

You could argue that Lohan is just planting doubt into Bubbles head...coming to Ennis, crowd close in and sticky corner back..

He won an all Ireland with Clare and Wexford should have beaten the all Ireland finalists at the weekend. Coaching and preparation, and quality of players ultimately may be an issue but it's rare his charges aren't up for a game. That alone won't win you matches but you won't win it without either.

Sheedy is all about the fire and brimstone on the sideline since he returned. Brian Cody too

He won an all Ireland with Clare and Wexford should have beaten the all Ireland finalists at the weekend. Coaching and preparation, and quality of players ultimately may be an issue but it's rare his charges aren't up for a game. That alone won't win you matches but you won't win it without either.

Sheedy is all about the fire and brimstone on the sideline since he returned. Brian Cody too

Yes, but you believe Sheedy's passion comes from a genuine place and has substance and intelligence behind it.

football team for the kerry fixture tomorrow night , tubridy and sean o'donohue are fit to start i believe whether they are late changes or not i am not sure , same team as the waterford game bar cathal o'connor for bohannon , if this is the team to start expect this formation of 2 runners in cian o'dea and jamie malone between both 45s with a 4 man forward line
    1. Stephen Ryan

2. Gordon Kelly 3. Cillian Brennan 4. Kevin Hartnett

5. Sean Collins 6. Aaron Fitzgerald 7. Dean Ryan

, 13. Cian O Dea 12 Jamie Malone

8. Gary Brennan (C) 9. Cathal O’Connor

10. Kieran Malone 11. Eoin Cleary

14. Cormac Murray 15. Gavin Cooney

• Advertisement

will cleary come in as a late change for someone , i know his pace could be exposed for a game like this but surely his height could be invaluable

football team for the kerry fixture tomorrow night , tubridy and sean o'donohue are fit to start i believe whether they are late changes or not i am not sure , same team as the waterford game bar cathal o'connor for bohannon , if this is the team to start expect this formation of 2 runners in cian o'dea and jamie malone between both 45s with a 4 man forward line
    1. Stephen Ryan

2. Gordon Kelly 3. Cillian Brennan 4. Kevin Hartnett

5. Sean Collins 6. Aaron Fitzgerald 7. Dean Ryan

, 13. Cian O Dea 12 Jamie Malone

8. Gary Brennan (C) 9. Cathal O’Connor

10. Kieran Malone 11. Eoin Cleary

14. Cormac Murray 15. Gavin Cooney

I still believe that Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney will not start tomorrow, with Sean and Tubs taking their places on the starting 15.

While you are still online windy, have you any word on how the Clare U20 footballers are preparing ahead of tomorrow's Liam o'Connor cup match against Westmeath in Miltown tomorrow. What type of team can we expect from Seamus Clancy's charges come 2 pm tomorrow.

will cleary come in as a late change for someone , i know his pace could be exposed for a game like this but surely his height could be invaluable

From what I can gather, it looks like Seadna Morey will make way for the St Joseph's Miltown clubman come 4 pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

From what I can gather, it looks like Seadna Morey will make way for the St Joseph's Miltown clubman come 4 pm on Sunday.

If that's true then it's sad. I thought the idea of naming Dummy teams went with Ger Loughnane. If I was the fall guy ie 'Morey' I'd explain to management that I'm unwilling to let my name go onto the team sheet if I'm not starting. Theres a personal pride and respect issue. I dont see it happening as I have respect for the two managers. They usually go about their jobs professionally..except during the game when they are too slow to make changes

I still believe that Cormac Murray and Gavin Cooney will not start tomorrow, with Sean and Tubs taking their places on the starting 15.

While you are still online windy, have you any word on how the Clare U20 footballers are preparing ahead of tomorrow's Liam o'Connor cup match against Westmeath in Miltown tomorrow. What type of team can we expect from Seamus Clancy's charges come 2 pm tomorrow.

I don't know and to tell you the truth I completely forgot about them and this game, I was far too caught up with tomorrow and Sunday I have little info on them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement