Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

the media scrum from yesterday ,john mcgrath very gracious in victory , someone needs to give him a clip round the ear and tell him just how good he really is

A classy hurler and a classy guy. I had the pleasure of the Tipp U 21 teams company on a train last summer and met the youngest brother, an absolute gent as were the whole team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

A classy hurler and a classy guy. I had the pleasure of the Tipp U 21 teams company on a train last summer and met the youngest brother, an absolute gent as were the whole team.

Are the McGraths related to ‘bubbles’ o’dwyer Clan.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Usually i like the watch the game back before giving my point of view here, but im not going to do that. That might have been the worst c'ship performance a Clare team has put in since probably Sparrow's last game as manager in 2011 vs Galway.

There is one thing to look forward to next Sunday. We get to see have our group of senior hurlers got that steel in them to bounce back and crash into Limerick down the Ennis Road next weekend. Or are they going to fold wimpishly like they did yesterday. The team showed last year a good fighting spirit versus Galway and Tipp but this is different. Clare were humiliated on their own patch yesterday and gave up 5 minutes after half time. Now its up to the leaders in that dressing pick up the team and drive on. But will they.. we will see.

Finally Tipp are a serious outfit, totally justifiable AI favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Brian Lohan, a longtime critic of the Clare county board, has laid the boot into them once again saying that they lack dynamism and needs a fresh approach. Doubt that Pat Fitz will take this lightly imo knowing what a bully the Sixmilebridge clubman is and what he is capable of. Fair play to Lohan, a Clare legend, a warrior and a man that is prepared to take on the establishment, in this case the Clare county board. Here is more in the link below. He also had a pop at Davy too. Fair dues to Brian. We need more of him that's for sure to ensure accountability at the CCB executive that has well past its sell by date.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/brian-lohan-on-davy-some-of-the-antics-theyre-not-great-927334.html

Jaysus only seen this now, Lohan is talking some scutter here if he has been accurately quoted - wghich is never a given I admit! My favourites is;

They’ve had good teams on paper, better teams, but they haven’t been able to beat Kilkenny. They can beat them, they have beaten them, but I just wonder if ‘Bubbles’ is on a Kilkenny corner-back, that Kilkenny corner-back won’t be giving him space.

They havent beaten them, but they can beat them and they have beaten them all in a sentence and a half! And Bubbles has performed better against KK on the big day than pretty much any forward in the game, a very strange Tipp forward to pick out, if he had said it about one or two others you could concede it but Bubbles is bizzare and looks like he is just shooting friom the hip with no thought behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So what yee think about this weekends game?? Going to be massive really for both teams. Whoever loses is basically out imo.

I’m sure our players were disgusted with how last weekend went and we seem to play well against this limerick team so hopefully we can get the performance this team can produce and get that vital win.

I actually can’t see many changes in the team really. I’d imagine Cleary will come into the team and have a half back line of Malone, cleary and Fitz to counteract the big half forward line of Limerick. I’m happy our full back line can deal with the rest of the limerick forwards.

Think keeping the Limerick half back line quiet and winning that area will be where the game is won and lost. Limerick build and start there attacks from there so need to keep them under huge pressure like cork did.

And the other thing then is that we need to have Tony in the game. Need to even throw him in full forward line for a bit if he is man marked just to disrupt that a little.

GAAGO or an Irish pub for me this weekend. Somehow hope we can make Munster final as home that weekend!!

Clare by 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

So what yee think about this weekends game?? Going to be massive really for both teams. Whoever loses is basically out imo.

I’m sure our players were disgusted with how last weekend went and we seem to play well against this limerick team so hopefully we can get the performance this team can produce and get that vital win.

I actually can’t see many changes in the team really. I’d imagine Cleary will come into the team and have a half back line of Malone, cleary and Fitz to counteract the big half forward line of Limerick. I’m happy our full back line can deal with the rest of the limerick forwards.

Think keeping the Limerick half back line quiet and winning that area will be where the game is won and lost. Limerick build and start there attacks from there so need to keep them under huge pressure like cork did.

And the other thing then is that we need to have Tony in the game. Need to even throw him in full forward line for a bit if he is man marked just to disrupt that a little.

GAAGO or an Irish pub for me this weekend. Somehow hope we can make Munster final as home that weekend!!

Clare by 2

a perfect way to get revenge for 96 :pac: , only fear i have for us is maybe we have not enough done in terms of preparation before championship , we looked second best in terms of intensity to tipp last week , i imagine limerick will bring a similar level to what tipp brought , forwards really need to step up too the full forward line for us last week was terrible

Cleary for Fitz, Ian Galvin comes on the bench.

I wouldnt have dropped Fitz.

letowski wrote: »
    Cleary for Fitz, Ian Galvin comes on the bench.

I wouldnt have dropped Fitz.

got lost a bit in the second half , cleary done well when he came on , it seems dan morrissey is being replaced by byrnes for limerick , while i know morrissey didnt play well against cork , he was one of the the few that played well in the park last year and always dose well against us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

full match panel for sunday

________________1. Donal Tuohy (Crusheen)
    2. Patrick O’Connor (Tubber) – Captain__3. David McInerney (Tulla )__ ______ 4.Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
    5. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)___ _ _ 6. Jack Browne (Ballyea)______ ,__7. Conor Cleary (St. Joseph’s Miltown)
    _________8. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge) 9. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    10. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)__ _ _11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea) Captain____ __ 12. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    13. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg Inis)___ 14. John Conlon (Clonlara)________ _ 15. Podge Collins (Cratloe)

SUBS
    16. Andrew Fahy (Whitegate)
    17. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    18. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    19. Gary Cooney (O’Callaghan’s Mills)
    20. Niall Deasy (Ballyea)
    21. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)
    22. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    23. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    24. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)
    25. Michael O’Neill (Kilmaley)
    26. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

• Advertisement

I will say one thing though, we do have a good bench. Shanagher, Galvin, McCarthy, Fitzgearld, Talyor are all good players that can bring different qualities to the fray. Unfortunately we have a management team thats usually slow to use the bench .

I will say one thing though, we do have a good bench. Shanagher, Galvin, McCarthy, Fitzgearld, Talyor are all good players that can bring different qualities to the fray. Unfortunately we have a management team thats usually slow to use the bench .

if john kiley or john myler was coach they would probably be starting a few of them lads on the bench , i imagine for some reason maloney on his own would also be quicker to make changes maybe i am wrong , joint management can be very conservative at times

i have no problem really with the two bar there fear of making quick or big calls

if john kiley or john myler was coach they would probably be starting a few of them lads on the bench , i imagine for some reason maloney on his own would also be quicker to make changes maybe i am wrong , joint management can be very conservative at times

I think they were much too slow last week. Conor Cleary was waiting on the line for 15 minutes before coming on. The subs came on when the game was over.

This weekend Conlon gets 20 minutes at 14, if he is not delivering he should be moved. If by 40 minutes he has nothing done he should be subbed. We cant be waiting around expecting something to happen. McCarthy Galvin and Shanagher can do different things for us and a plan must be in place to utilise them. Like for example, Ryan and Podge are clearly the grafters/workhorses in the forward line. Let them do the hard running and bring on McCarthy/Galvin fof the last 20 to hurt Limerick on the scoreboard. Fitz and Taylor can inject pace onto the team too.

Clare can win on Sunday but we really have to take the game to Limerick. Be aggressive both on the field and in our decisions on the line. No point talking about what ifs next Monday.

offaly 3-10 , 1-10 clare

under 20 development football squad beten in tullamore tonight were beaten 2-04 to 0-1 in the final 15 minutes in the liam o'connor cup

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

what has happened to Colin Guilfoyle, Oisin O' Brien, Michael O' Malley, Cathal McInerney ?

supernova5 wrote: »
    what has happened to Colin Guilfoyle, Oisin O' Brien, Michael O' Malley, Cathal McInerney ?

most are still on the extended panel , guilfoyle is out of form , o'brian is out of favor . o'malley rarely see's any sort of game time anymore , not sure about mcinerney , he has been plagued with injuries of late

supernova5 wrote:

Guilfoyle possibly loses out due to being very similar to Shanagher, while the same could be said for McInerney with Cooney getting the nod instead. Surprised Mikey O'Neill is still on the bench, espeically now Ian Galvin is back, we have 4 inside forwards on the bench. I would have O'Malley there instead but the management probably think they are well stocked with McCarthy, Fitzgearld and Taylor there. O'Brien is injured, I think Flanagan has his spot on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Donegal lad hai

Evening all hoping some of yes can help a lad out here in donegal. Spent many a summer in my youth in the west of Clare with relations great times. Well anyways have met some Clare lads here in donegal working away with them happen to tell them I've been to many a county final in Clare and one of the lads is from doonbeg and of course got chatting about doonbeg football and the great players of the 80s and 90s which I looked up to a few. Who do yes think were doonbegs greatest players as I'm totally not in agreement with this said lad. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Evening all hoping some of yes can help a lad out here in donegal. Spent many a summer in my youth in the west of Clare with relations great times. Well anyways have met some Clare lads here in donegal working away with them happen to tell them I've been to many a county final in Clare and one of the lads is from doonbeg and of course got chatting about doonbeg football and the great players of the 80s and 90s which I looked up to a few. Who do yes think were doonbegs greatest players as I'm totally not in agreement with this said lad. Cheers

Bert McMahon or Gerry Killeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Gerry Killeen prob the best u also have padraig conway
    Francis mcinerney serious players won a munster championship in 1992 against the mighty kingdom wi gerry killeen kicking a fair few beautys

• Advertisement

Thank you funny lad . Gerry killeen was on my list along with Gerry MacInerney think he played full back I was fairly young but both gerrys were who I remember that always had great skill and passion for the game.

Aye Padraig Conway had forgotten him thank you for that wile Francis was only starting out when I seen doonbeg play I'm thinking more along the older men the likes of Blake Tommy tub Leo MacInerney and Declan hayes. In my honest opinion Gerry MacInerney was probably the best full back doonbeg had and for years he has stuck in my head for skill fitness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd have Francis McInerney as 1 of the best Clare players of all time, he'd be well suited to today's game, a skillful number 11 who never stopped running for a whole game.

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd have Francis McInerney as 1 of the best Clare players of all time, he'd be well suited to today's game, a skillful number 11 who never stopped running for a whole game.

agree with this , he was excellent they had a fantastic team but francis was probably one of the best to ever come out of the county , kerian o'mahoney was another teak tough defender for clare and doonbeg around that time also

ok so here is what clare have to do to advance to the next stage of the championship , the result against tipperary and cork putting up a big score makes things tough for us

1 . beat limerick and qualify to the next round
    2. lose to limerick , we must beat cork by 13 points in the final game or
    3. beat cork in the final game and hope limerick beat tipperary in thurles
    4. draw with limerick , a win over cork will get us through

it is very much still in our hands , but if we don't win in limerick things get difficult

munster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

The closer it gets to the match the more hopeful I'm getting....

Tis the hope that's kills you.

was up the north watching this one with the cousins back in 96 , heartbroken after it , what a score in fairness , will we ever get a better chance for revenge then tomorrow :D

funnyname wrote: »
    Bert McMahon or Gerry Killeen

never seen bert mcmahon play but heard he was a serious footballer , apparently he got man of the match for doonbeg the year kilmihil beat them in the county final in the early 80s

something i have never seen or heard of

was up the north watching this one with the cousins back in 96 , heartbroken after it , what a score in fairness , will we ever get a better chance for revenge then tomorrow :D

Don’t worry, it was worse for me. A picture of me 7 years old as a full kit ****** crying in the Clare champion!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Can I buy a ticket at The Gaelic Grounds ??

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

4Ad wrote: »
    Can I buy a ticket at The Gaelic Grounds ??

Yes you can from 12.30 onwards it says on Limerick gaa site

Fitzgearld and Shanagher are starting this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Fitzgearld and Shangher are starting this afternoon

You can say that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Result Munster minor hurling championship

Limerick 0-16 Clare 0-13

Ffs Fergal Lynch ditch this sweeper nonsense. These are very good players and a more adventurous approach is the only way to show what a wonderful talented group of hurlers that we have. Shame on you Pat Fitz for this odd appointment.

Fitzgearld and Shanagher are starting this afternoon

You have good sources!!

Hope we can the victory today. I’m sure we won’t make it easy for ourselves one way or the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What an embarrassment of a team. First touch of a junior b team. Pathetic.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What an embarrassment of a team. First touch of a junior b team. Pathetic.

Agreed niallo27. Overtrained, overcooked, heavy-legged are some of the words to describe Clare in this 1st half. Sad to see this Clare team in this mess. If Davy 2.0 is the answer to this, then I do not know the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Agreed niallo27. Overtrained, overcooked, heavy-legged are some of the words to describe Clare in this 1st half. Sad to see this Clare team in this mess. If Davy 2.0 is the answer to this, then I do not know the question.

Lots
    Of similarities between Clare and Waterford. Clare beat at home what must have been the poorest prepared Waterford team in decades and got a good beating from Tipp and at minute look like it could be a double digit beating from LK......big players apart from duggan not firing. Former player of year (Kelly) akin to Waterfords gleeson.........management seem to have no proper game plan.......are the Clare public supporters as up in arms yet as those in the south east....?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

game going exactly as I thought it would, Clare are just out of their debt, I'm convinced the management are complete bluffers, same predictable tactics, Limerick are just streets ahead of them in every aspect of the game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

game going exactly as I thought it would, Clare are just out of their debt, I'm convinced the management are complete bluffers, same predictable tactics, Limerick are just streets ahead of them in every aspect of the game,

Been saying it since those lads took over, we will not win an all Ireland when the management and both oblivious to changes that need to be made and then ridiculous slow to make changes.. they have there favourites and there tactics and that's it.. such a shame most of those players are good enough to winnone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Left 15 mins early after Limerick got the goal. Trying hard to convince myself to go
    next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

And many Clare fans complained about Davy. At least he had a plan and had players playing for him.

So that was hard to watch. Shambolic really. Totally dominated once again physically and couldn’t handle the tackling. Limerick turned us over so many times. Very powerful performance from limerick it must be said. Very impressive and back to favourites for the all Ireland for me.

As I stated above, the limerick half back line set the tone for the game and just won everything. We couldn’t get any possession never mind easy possession. It allowed limerick to have plenty of space for there full forward line and our backs had no chance given the space and the lovely ball going in there.

Tony anonymous again but we just weren’t allowed to play. Simple as that really.

I’ll analyse it a bit more after I drown my sorrows. Thank god it’s a bank holiday over here tomorrow

This is a dark dark day for Clare hurling. I won't say a bad thing about Donal Moloney and Gerry O'Connor though. They have been brilliant for their great work in winning underage tournaments for Clare and developing some of the best hurlers the county has ever produced and that should not be underestimated even though that was a horror show today.

There has been suggestions of unrest in the camp pre-match. That showed today big time. I will probably go on and on about what Clare didn't do right. But clearly its the end of the management cycle for Donal and Gerry. That's the way the GAA goes these days.

As for who will replace D&G then its Davy's gig I'm afraid. The players need to say NO to this appointment and make their feelings heard in relation to a player's strike or some sort. Anthony Daly must be given the reigns imo. But the infamous man of the purple jumper may have other ideas. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

crossman47 wrote: »
    And many Clare fans complained about Davy. At least he had a plan and had players playing for him.

A plan that couldn't work, but today had no plan that could work.
    Fair Play to Limerick, they are a class above.

for the Cork match. Go one on one. every man has to win their own battle and start from there. No one gets carried.

And whats worse, we don't even look fit.

The dynamic duo rightfully being chastised after that massacre, Cork will be their swansong. Bigger issue for Clare hurling is Fitzgerald Snr, who reminds one of a belligerent Frank Murphy. Lohan, Dalo & others won't touch the job with a bargepole while he's looming large.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 insecurebiped

Hard to watch. To me, at least, (new viewer to the game lol and therefore tactically devoid) it felt like the psychology of the team played a lot into the defeat. The players didn't seem like they thought they could win from the outset, or at least that's the vibe I got. Aside from anything tactically, the team needs to re-evaluate how they play/work together and reframe their losses, they've seemed to be hit pretty hard by them this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Also won't say a word against the management. They have achieved a lot over the years at under 21 and minor. i think both the players and management are burnt and it showed today

Really can't see Davy making much if a difference. It's a step backwards and he had his go already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lads this team is rubbish. Forwards that can't win ball or score goals, defenders that can't defend. Nothing on the bench that's any different to what's already starting. Poor touch, poor puckouts, poor decision making, poor discipline. Shocking stuff. Waterford would beat this team if they were to play next week.

crossman47 wrote: »

clare fans had every right to complain about him , his antics were a disgrace

sh*t happens its the end of this current management in my opinion . clare ane much better than this just things gone stale behind the scenes this year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement