Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

MfMan wrote: »
    Why? What did they do last year to raise expectations this year? (Astonishing though it may be, they were actually a little better this year.) Clare were reigning AI champs but didn't win any c'ship match this year. Dublin were Leinster champs last year and came close to making the final; this year they were hopeless.

Pick on someone else for a change.
    (A sensitive Galwayman!)

The let down for hurling supporters is the potential that Galway has isn't being realised and I wouldn't put it all down to the management. There have been plenty good management teams that haven't broken through.
    The Galway county championship seems to be more like a faction fight sometimes than a hurling contest. You would wonder does this affect the county team inner workings? I lived with Galway county hurlers at one stage and the hatred within the club scene couldn't be put away when you put a Galway jersey on them.

I watched Galway this year and there seems to be a lot more in them. That's the disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Figerty wrote: »
    The let down for hurling supporters is the potential that Galway has isn't being realised and I wouldn't put it all down to the management. There have been plenty good management teams that haven't broken through.
    The Galway county championship seems to be more like a faction fight sometimes than a hurling contest. You would wonder does this affect the county team inner workings? I lived with Galway county hurlers at one stage and the hatred within the club scene couldn't be put away when you put a Galway jersey on them.

I watched Galway this year and there seems to be a lot more in them. That's the disappointment.

I'm sure most counties have their internecine rivalries, but I agree to a certain extent, old feuds between clubs in Galway seem to persist longer than is good for them. You would hope that with lads going to college and mixing more than ever, this old-fashioned approach would fade away.

On a related note, just got round to watching the second half of the Tipp game last night. For all the bad things said about Galway, they just didn't have a lot of luck. Every little mistake they made was punished, e.g. Daithi Burke gave away the ball right on the sideline 50 metres out, Lar scoops it up and throws over an outrageous point; Noel McGrath scoring the type of points he has never done against any other opposition; free given against Cathal Mannion for a hook (even Nicky English said it wasn't); Callinan's goal-attempt rebound falling right into his path etc.

Then Ger Lock comes on the Sunday Game spouting about Galway not able to win ball in the HF line; if he took time to analyse the game he would have seen that Galway, from their own puck out or defensive clearances in the 2nd half, actually won most of them, either directly or at the breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm sure most counties have their internecine rivalries, but I agree to a certain extent, old feuds between clubs in Galway seem to persist longer than is good for them. You would hope that with lads going to college and mixing more than ever, this old-fashioned approach would fade away.

On a related note, just got round to watching the second half of the Tipp game last night. For all the bad things said about Galway, they just didn't have a lot of luck. Every little mistake they made was punished, e.g. Daithi Burke gave away the ball right on the sideline 50 metres out, Lar scoops it up and throws over an outrageous point; Noel McGrath scoring the type of points he has never done against any other opposition; free given against Cathal Mannion for a hook (even Nicky English said it wasn't); Callinan's goal-attempt rebound falling right into his path etc.

Then Ger Lock comes on the Sunday Game spouting about Galway not able to win ball in the HF line; if he took time to analyse the game he would have seen that Galway, from their own puck out or defensive clearances in the 2nd half, actually won most of them, either directly or at the breakdown.

Don't want to have a Galway discussion on the Clare thread but just to respond to the last paragraph in above post - Loughnane is always waiting for an opportunity to get at Galway. Mind you he criticised Tipp last Sun for not been able to win ball in the forwards also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

good news for all the davy fitz skeptics out there , he has just confirmed that he intends to see out the remaining 3 years left in his"contract" ........ after meeting with the county board , just in time to rule out any talk of an anthoney daly return

clare team announced for the game against cork on wednesday night sees two changes as shane o donnell comes in for shane mcgrath and eoin enright comes in for alan o'neill

the final 2 remaing round 2 group games in the senior club championship games are down for this weekend also with the cracker of sixmilebridge and cratloe is down for saterday evening in cusack park while the ballyea v clooney quinn tie is fixed for sunday in sixmilebridge

4 games to be played to finish round 2. Mills v Josephs at 5.30pm Sat in the park followed by The Bridge and Cratloe at 7.

On Sunday, Wolfe Tones play Eire Og at 12 in the park with Clooney and Ballyea meeting st 6.30pm (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

4 games to be played to finish round 2. Mills v Josephs at 5.30pm Sat in the park followed by The Bridge and Cratloe at 7.

On Sunday, Wolfe Tones play Eire Og at 12 in the park with Clooney and Ballyea meeting st 6.30pm (I think).

yep all big games , didnt meen to leave any out but i was working of the great clare gaa website, looking forward to tommorow evening and the bridge v cratloe game huge game

no mention of the clare u21s from the other night , good win but in fairness the inter county experience of ourl ads was the massive difference.

also for all the work gerry o connor and donal moloney have done deserve a lot more then what they get , they were the key to last years all ireland senior success , they put together two thirds of davy fitzs backroom team before he even got involved , they brought the players up from under 14s under 16 level , and still continue to work hard at that level behind the scenes

at no point did they ever complain about " the powers that be" ruining clare hurling , at no point did they have to attack journalists for suggesting that they got there tactics wrong , never cared what code of sport the players played when not playing hurling, they never asked for anything they never complained about anything , since 2009 clare have won 2 munster minor titles 4 munster u21 championships 3 u21 all ireland titles 1 intermediate all ireland and 1 senior all ireland

for a county that had little or no sucess that is some reccord , they didnt manage all those teams but they did produce the majority of those players from development stage , and they did bring along the likes of paul kinnerk who was crucial to last years senior sucess, for as long as these two men are working with our underage set ups the future of clare hurling is in very safe hands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

The Bridge v Cratloe is going to be an interesting game. Likely there is going to be an edge to it, after what happened last month when Cratloe thought the fixture might go ahead. The Bridge lose their out.

Two very talented teams. Cratloe as we know have some outstanding stars, but the Bridge are young and well balanced thoughout, with no obvious weaknessess.

Looking forward to it. I'd fancy Eire Og (without SOD), Ballyea and the Mills in the others.

Clare SHC Round 2:

Cratloe 1-18 Sixmilebridge 1-15.

Champions are out. In fairness they did have a tough group and only lost both games by 3, so it was as if they didn't totally let themselves down. Still it's disappointing for them as they would have foreseen to have been at the business end of the season. Cratloe on the other hand have done excellent and are well place to challenge for the title. Goes without saying they have some stand-out stars. What's the odds on the double, wouldn't be a massive surprise!!

It was a decent competitve game this evening right through. The Bridge started well in the second half with a goal, but could have had more, missed a penalty. Cratloe showed their class with Cathal McInerney scoring a brilliant point to seal the win. They scored a brilliant team goal in the first half which put them into the lead they never lost. I think they have more maturity about them this year with leaders that will give them a good chance of going all the way.

Clare SBHC Round 2:

O'Callaghan Mills 4-13 St. Joeseph D/B 1-8

Bad loss for Joes. There in Intermediate next year which is very disappointing for their club. For a club that has some of the best facilities in the county, it must be very deflating to see their senior team perform so poorly. I only saw the second half and they were poor to be fair, very aimless and off the pace. I expect The Mills to win the group, they have a good team, with Clare corner back, Conor 'Rocky' Cooney doing well at full forward.

letowski wrote: »
    Clare SHC Round 2:

Champions are out. In fairness they did have a tough group and only lost both games by 3, so it was as if they didn't totally let themselves down. Still it's disappointing for them as they would have foreseen to have been at the business end of the season. Cratloe on the other hand have done excellent and are well place to challenge for the title. Goes without saying they have some stand-out stars. What's the odds on the double, wouldn't be a massive surprise!!

It was a decent competitve game this evening right through. The Bridge started well in the second half with a goal, but could have had more, missed a penalty. Cratloe showed their class with Cathal McInerney scoring a brilliant point to seal the win. They scored a brilliant team goal in the first half which put them into the lead they never lost. I think they have more maturity about them this year with leaders that will give them a good chance of going all the way.

Clare SBHC Round 2:

Bad loss for Joes. There in Intermediate next year which is very disappointing for their club. For a club that has some of the best facilities in the county, it must be very deflating to see their senior team perform so poorly. I only saw the second half and they were poor to be fair, very aimless and off the pace. I expect The Mills to win the group, they have a good team, with Clare corner back, Conor 'Rocky' Cooney doing well at full forward.

listen if i was being blunt sixmilebridge left it behind them they had 2 thirds of the possession and still couldnt make use of anything, they missed a penalty with the game in the balance they hit several wides in the process , cratlloe were in and out of the game , other then sean collins and connor mcgrath they played elow themselves a good game but it still looks like clonlara or newmarket for the county championship

Clare SHC Round 2:

Clare SBHC Round 2:

thanks for the match report i didnt make the first game , sad to see doora barefield in so much trouble

listen if i was being blunt sixmilebridge left it behind them they had 2 thirds of the possession and still couldnt make use of anything, they missed a penalty with the game in the balance they hit several wides in the process , cratlloe were in and out of the game , other then sean collins and connor mcgrath they played elow themselves a good game but it still looks like clonlara or newmarket for the county championship

Ya that's fair enough comment. I thought it was strange to see them so poor in possession. For a team that isn't as badly effected by county stars, they were poor in their execution. They were very cohesive last year. Jamie was a waste too in full forward, they needed players like him on the ball more.

I'd still give Cratloe a good chance, though the football commitments make things harder. They will have unlimited access now to McGrath, Podge, Ryan, Cathal Mc, etc. and will certainly get better, especially after last night. They are very tight nit.

Should make for a very good championship anyway.

• Advertisement

Ya that's fair enough comment. I thought it was strange to see them so poor in possession. For a team that isn't as badly effected by county stars, they were poor in their execution. They were very cohesive last year. Jamie was a waste too in full forward, they needed players like him on the ball more.

I'd still give Cratloe a good chance, though the football commitments make things harder. They will have unlimited access now to McGrath, Podge, Ryan, Cathal Mc, etc. and will certainly get better, especially after last night. They are very tight nit.

Should make for a very good championship anyway.

it will make for a great finish but i just think newmarket would have the defence to cope with the cratloe forwards and clonlara would have punished them had they being givin the same chances

alan mulready surely has to be called up to the inter county set up for the extended panel later in the year , he was excellent in the air last night and probably the bridge's best forward, he was solid all last year too and a great ball winner , somthing we are missing at inter county level , would he be good enough for the highest level

pa shanahan probably should have started too ,another who had a serious championship last year , made an instant impact when he came on to set up the attack that won the penalty , another inter county hopeful connor deasy didnt have his best 60 mins either but he's young and has a big future ahead of him , probably needs to bulk up a bit though ,he struggled to break the tackle at times

it will make for a great finish but i just think newmarket would have the defence to cope with the cratloe forwards and clonlara would have punished them had they being givin the same chances

alan mulready surely has to be called up to the inter county set up for the extended panel later in the year , he was excellent in the air last night and probably the bridge's best forward, he was solid all last year too and a great ball winner , somthing we are missing at inter county level , would he be good enough for the highest level

pa shanahan probably should have started too ,another who had a serious championship last year , made an instant impact when he came on to set up the attack that won the penalty , another inter county hopeful connor deasy didnt have his best 60 mins either but he's young and has a big future ahead of him , probably needs to bulk up a bit though ,he struggled to break the tackle at times

I think Mulready is about 6'4 or something. The bridge use him well around the square as he has an excellent paw, and gets goals. I think I heard by someone he played 3 years minor but none at U21, which is strange. I'd agree though, Davy needs to start looking at other lads that are prominent in the air. I think Mulready is a bit skinny though and isn't the fastest.

It's interesting wrt Shanahan, how he is playing his best hurling for Clare at wing back. He has never played there at any level for the bridge. Just at a time when Clare have excellent half backs and a lack of half forwards. :rolleyes:

results from the weekends hurling championships

Saturday 2nd Senior championship round 2 group 3

Cratloe 1-18 1-15 Sixmilebridge

SENIOR B championship group 2

O'Callaghans Mills 4-13 1-08 Doora/Barefield

Sunday 3rd Senior Championship Round 2 Group 1

Ballyea 1-14 1-11 Clooney/Quinn

Senior "B" Championship Round 2 Group 1

Eire og 0-20 1-11 Wolfe Tones

Intermediate Hurling Championship
    Group 3 round 3

Killineana 2-20 2-11 Clarecastle
    Sixmilebridge 1-22 1-12 Crusheen

Group 2 Round 3

Feakle 0-24 1-12 Parteen
    Corofin 2-18 0-10 Newmarket

Group 1 Round 3

Cratloe 1-14 1-08 0gonnelloe
    Smith O'briens 2-22 1-10 meellick

sorry for the delay of results , long weekend and all that

link http://www.clare.gaa.ie/club-games/hurling/hurling-fixtures-2010/senior-hurling-championship for tables and results . final round of group games to take place in two weeks time

clonlara , newmarket , cratloe , clarecastle , crusheen , eire og all through to the 1/4 finals they will be joined by the winners of ballyea v inagh/kilnamona
    and the winners of broadford v O'callaghans mills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cheers for all the updates windy Shepard.
    Just wondering whether the quarter finals are a seeded draw or an open draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Cheers for all the updates windy Shepard.
    Just wondering whether the quarter finals are a seeded draw or an open draw?

This is how q finals worked last year I think.
    The 3 senior A group winners are all seeded. I think one of the 2nd place teams (via a draw) make up the 4th seeded team. That's how it worked a few years ago anyhow. Such a draw would leave the 3 senior A winners and the one senior A 2nd place drawn against the remaining 2 senior A runner ups and the 2 senior B winners.

fixtures for the 2nd round of the football championship saterday

17:00 @cooraclare

miltown v kilkee verdict miltown

17: 45 @kilmihil

kilmurry ibricane v shannon gaels verdict kilmurry

19:00 @cusack park

lissycaesy v clondegad verdict : clondegad

19:15 @kilmihil

doonbeg v st josephs doora/barefield verdict doonbeg

intermediate football championship

16:00 @gurteen

corofin v killdysert verdict : corofin

16:00 @ennistymon

kilfarnora v eire og verdict eire og

Hidalgo wrote: »
    This is how q finals worked last year I think.
    The 3 senior A group winners are all seeded. I think one of the 2nd place teams (via a draw) make up the 4th seeded team. That's how it worked a few years ago anyhow. Such a draw would leave the 3 senior A winners and the one senior A 2nd place drawn against the remaining 2 senior A runner ups and the 2 senior B winners.

yeah thats what happened last year with last years 1/4 finals looked like this

ballyea (senior B) V crusheen (group winner)

mills (senior B ) v clonlare (group winner)

inagh/kilnamona (2nd placed) v newmarket ( group winner)

sixmilebridge (2nd placed) v tubber (2nd placed)

next years championship will be better in my opinion , it will follow the same line as the current football championship, not a fan of group games in championship

senior football championship results

Doonbeg 0-14 -0-04 doora/barefield

kilmrry ibrickane 1-13 0-03 shannnon gaels

clondegad 2-10 - 0-11 lissycaesy

miltown 3-12 0-06 kilkee

intermiedite football championship

kildysert 0-14 - 1-7 corofin

kilfarnora 1-13 1-10 eire og (B)

sundays senior football championship fixtures

@ clarecastle 13:00 cratloe v cooreclare , verdict cratloe

@ doonbeg 13:00 kilrush v o currys . verdict kilrush

@ corofin 17:30 eire og v liscannor verdict eire og

@ corofin 19:15 ennistymon v st breackans , verdict ennistymon

@ cooreclare ,17:00 kilmihil v kilmurry ibrickane (B)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

@ clarecastle 13:00 cratloe v cooreclare , (Cratloe won by 4)

@ doonbeg 13:00 kilrush v o currys . (O'Curry's by a point)

@ corofin 17:30 eire og v liscannor (Eire Og won 2-12 to 6 point)

@ cooreclare ,17:00 kilmihil v kilmurry ibrickane (Kilmihil won 4-17 to 3 points)

Looks to be a battle between Kilmihil and Wolfe Tones for the intermediate championship

• Advertisement

Boots234 wrote: »

@ clarecastle 13:00 cratloe v cooreclare , (Cratloe won by 4)

@ doonbeg 13:00 kilrush v o currys . (O'Curry's by a point)

@ corofin 17:30 eire og v liscannor (Eire Og won 2-12 to 6 point)

@ cooreclare ,17:00 kilmihil v kilmurry ibrickane (Kilmihil won 4-17 to 3 points)

Looks to be a battle between Kilmihil and Wolfe Tones for the intermediate championship

strange weekend in the senior championship alot of men vs boys type results , out of the loosers probably only cooraclare can hold there head high after running cratloe close enough, they were hammered by them last year

as far as i know the relagation picture looks like this

kilrush v shannon gaels

ennistmon/ st breckans v liscannor

you would imagine kilrush will be too strong for the geals , while liscannor also look in big trouble , if it dose work out to be a kilmihil v wolf tones intermediate final the losers in my opinion would probably be favorites to go up next year , a few of them teams in the play off look like they are in big trouble with little underage coming through , personally i think it will be the gaels who go down they lost a load of players to retirement and there underage set up is amalgamated with kilmihil , although i doubt there will be a senior combination put together if both find themselves at intermediate level next year

Ennistymon are up by 5 points at half time. Has the draw been made already for the relegation semi finals?

Ennistymon are up by 5 points at half time. Has the draw been made already for the relegation semi finals?

talking to someone involved with kilrush after the game today they taught that it was shannon gaels they were playing , i doubt they are i am sure it will be an open draw with whats now looking like gaels , kilrush , liscannor and most likely st breckans

Ennistymon 2-14 St Breckans 0-6 breckans enter the relagation play off ennistymon into the 3rd round playoff

teams into round 3 playoff

o currys
    ennistymon
    eire og
    lissycaesy
    cooreclare
    kilkee
    doora/barefield
    kilmurry ibrickane

teams into the 1/4 final

doonbeg
    cratloe
    clondegad
    miltown

teams in relegation playoff

kilrush
    st breckans
    liscannor
    shannon gaels

3rd round playoff is an open draw with the four winners playing at one side of the draw against one of the already qualified 1/4 finalists

Any idea when the draws will be made?

Any idea when the draws will be made?

i would assume tommorow with the 3rd round games set for 2 weeks time but it could change from that weekend as the clare v antrim u21 semi final is down for that saterday , but the message from the county board at the start of the championship is that it will work out every second week until its conclusion , next week the last group games will be played out in the hurling championship

• Advertisement

3rd round draw for the football championship to be played on the weekend starting 23 of august

kilkee v kilmurry ibrickane

o currys v doora/barefield

cooraclare v ennistymon

eire og v lissyceasy

relegation play off semi finals

kilrush v liscannor

st breckans v shannon gaels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Some big games this weekend in round 3 of the hurling:

Senior A

Newmarket v Clarecastle Both are through to q/f but winner tops the group.
    Tulla v Tubber Winner is finished for the year but loser goes into relegation play/off

Clooney v Clonlara Nothing to play for as Clonlara have topped their group already and Clooney are bottom so into relegation play off
    Inagh/Kilnamona v Ballyea Winner into q/f

Crusheen v Cratloe both into q/f so winner here tops the group
    Sixmilebridge v Kilmaley Loser goes into relegation play off and winner is finished for the year

Senior B

Wolfe Tones v Whitegate Winner finishes 2nd in group and loser finishes 3rd. Both will be in relegation play off either way.
    Eire Og v Ruan Eire Og in q/f already and Ruan automatically relegated already

Scariff v Barefield Loser is relegated automatically and winner goes into relegation play off
    Broadford v The Mills Winner goes into q/f and senior b final. Loser goes into relegation play off

Q/f draws are on Monday night I believe with pot 1 including the 3 senior a winners plus 1 runner up (to be drawn beforehand). Pot 2 includes 2 remaining senior a runner ups and 2 senior b teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I've just noticed on the Clare website there are still 20 senior clubs (12 A and 8 B).

I thought there was supposed to be 4 clubs relegated last year to reduce it to 16 this year or did I imagine that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭BnB

I've just noticed on the Clare website there are still 20 senior clubs (12 A and 8 B).

I thought there was supposed to be 4 clubs relegated last year to reduce it to 16 this year or did I imagine that??

Was meant to happen last year but they pulled the plug on it. But it is going ahead this year. 5 teams are going to be relegated from Senior to Inter this year with the winners of Inter comping up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Was supposed to be done last year but with the championship chaos last year it was agreed that it wouldn't happen and that there'd be a proper structure put in place this year.

• Advertisement

last round of group games this weekend and under the current format ( thank christ ) it will mean an end to group games and next year will be played on a knock out basis similar to the football format

it will also make for a severely intense intermediate championship next year with 5 teams getting the chop and one lucky winner picking up the golden ticket of promotion this year , ballyea and inagh kilnamona in senior A and broadford v the mills in senior B double header tommorrow in the park the pick of the weekends games

senior A group 1

19:00 (saterday) CUSACK PARK: ballyea v inagh/kilnamona verdict ballyea
    13:00 (sunday) sixmilebridge : clonlara v cloony/quinn verdict clonlara

Senior A group 2

15:30 (saterday) CLARECASTLE: tulla v tubber. . verdict tubber
    13:00 (sunday) CUSACK PARK: newmarket v clarecastle . verdict newmarket

senior A group 3

14:OO (saterday) CLARECASTLE sixmilebridge v kilmaley verdict sixmilebridge
    18:30 ( sunday) Cusack Park cratloe v crusheen , verdict crusheen

senior B GROUP 1

14:00 (saterday) Broadford : Wolfe tones v whitegate ,verdict whitegate
    13:00 (sunday) GURTEEN : Eire Og v Ruan ,verdict eire og

Senior B group 2
    16:00 TULLA: Scarrif v doora/barefield , verdict scariff
    17:00 CUSACK PARK : Broadford v O'Callaghans Mills verdict : O'Callaghans Mills

Intermediate Hurling Championship Play Off's both saterday
    promotion playoff
    16:00 bodyke : killaneana v cratloe verdict cratloe

relegation playoff
    17:30 cratloe : newmarket v meelick verdict newmarket

updates will be posted over the next few days , should be an interesting weekend!!!

Thanks for all the updates lads. Keep up the good work.
    That clare gaa site is truly awful.

results so far today

senior A Championship

sixmilebridge 2-19 0-14 kilmaley
    tubber 1-14 0-13 tulla

senior B Championship

whitegate 1-14 0-17 wolfe tones
    doora barefield 0-21 1-04 scariff

results of the evening fixtures

senior A championship

Ballyea 0-17 0-13 inagh/kilnamona

senior B championship

o'callaghans mills 2-19 -1-07 broadford

intermediate championship

killeneana 1-13 cratloe 1-12

newmarket 0-18 - 0-17 meelick

the hurling championship picture looks like this tonight with all 8 1/4 final places filled

1/4 line up ( draw to take place monday)

ballyea
    clonlara
    clarecastle
    cratloe
    crusheen
    eire og
    newmarket
    o'callaghans mills

teams in relagation playoff
    clooney/quinn
    kilmaley
    tulla

senior b teams in relagation playoff
    broadford
    doora/barefield
    whitegate
    wolf tones

teams relagated (2/5) so far
    Ruan
    Scariff

intermediate championship

play off

killinena v parteen

teams through to semi final's

feakle
    sixmilebridge
    smith o'briens

relagation play off

meelick v crusheen

How are they sorting out the other 3 teams to be relegated from senior?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Heard a story that the Forrestal Management have issued a text telling the player to NOT play with their clubs this weekend.. this is Under 14...

Christ almighty have they taken leave of their senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

BnB wrote: »
    Was meant to happen last year but they pulled the plug on it. But it is going ahead this year. 5 teams are going to be relegated from Senior to Inter this year with the winners of Inter comping up.

does this not mean the 4 teams in the relegation semi finals will be playing intermediate next yr?
    If so makes those games dead rubbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

does this not mean the 4 teams in the relegation semi finals will be playing intermediate next yr?

Nope, there are 2 teams down already, so there are 7 teams in the play off for 3 relegation places.

My opinion on the teams:

Clooney/Quinn - Would be a big shock to them, they've put a lot of work in the last few years, wouldn't be down for long I'd say.
    Kilmaley - I think they made the play offs every year in the 00s, the loss of Lynch and Clancy to them has been huge. They could stay down for a while if they go down, they are waiting on their minors to come through.
    Tulla - of the 3 senior teams probably the most likely to go down, don't know if they'd come back up quickly either.
    Broadford - Don't know much about them to be honest, but I get the impression that Senior B is probably their level.
    Doora/Barefield - Great example of a mis-managed club with over reliance on a specific group of players. Will probably drop down.
    Whitegate - Again, don't know much about them, but I get the impression that Senior B is probably their level.
    Wolfe Tones

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Clareman wrote: »
    Nope, there are 2 teams down already, so there are 7 teams in the play off for 3 relegation places.

My opinion on the teams:

Clooney/Quinn - Would be a big shock to them, they've put a lot of work in the last few years, wouldn't be down for long I'd say.
    Kilmaley - I think they made the play offs every year in the 00s, the loss of Lynch and Clancy to them has been huge. They could stay down for a while if they go down, they are waiting on their minors to come through.
    Tulla - of the 3 senior teams probably the most likely to go down, don't know if they'd come back up quickly either.
    Broadford - Don't know much about them to be honest, but I get the impression that Senior B is probably their level.
    Doora/Barefield - Great example of a mis-managed club with over reliance on a specific group of players. Will probably drop down.
    Whitegate - Again, don't know much about them, but I get the impression that Senior B is probably their level.
    Wolfe Tones

sorry buddy just to clarify I was on about football.
    who are the two football teams already down??

• Advertisement

Sorry, I hadn't even considered football to be honest.

no there is only one team in the football championship getting relegated the losers of the kilrush v liscannor and st breckans v shannon gaels games next week will contest the relegation final with the loser going down to intermediate next year

the senior hurling championship is being cut down from 20 teams down to 16 next year thats why 5 are getting relegated with 1 team from intermediate coming up

it will be played out in the same format as this years football championship

results from today's earlier fixtures

senior hurling championship

clonlara 1-21 1-17 clooney/quinn

newmarket 1-17 1-13 clarecastle

senior b championship

eire og 1-23 1-16 ruan

Cratloe 0-15 Crusheen 0-12

When is the draw for the hurling quarter finals?
    I'm hoping for the most favourable one for the townies but I don't even know who that is anyway!!!
    By all accounts they fancy taking on anyone. Feeling pretty good, will have o donnell back from injury and a few others from j1 visas.

When is the draw for the hurling quarter finals?
    I'm hoping for the most favourable one for the townies but I don't even know who that is anyway!!!
    By all accounts they fancy taking on anyone. Feeling pretty good, will have o donnell back from injury and a few others from j1 visas.

the draw will be in the next few hours i will post them whenever i hear the draw

it will be seeded with the 3 teams who topped there group at one side of the draw and one second place team (yet to be drawn out ) with eire og and the mills along with two senior a second placed teams at the other side of the draw

i am sure it will sound easier when the draw is actually made :confused:

the 1/4 draw is as follows

cratloe v eire og

ballyea v clarecastle

newmarket v crusheen

clonlara v o'callaghans mills

the relagation 1/4 finals are

clooney /quinn v broadford

doora/barefield v whitegate

wolf tones got the short straw and are placed in the relegation semi finals

as far as i know the ties are set to be played on the weekend after next , all four ties in the 1/4 finals very intresting , clonlara beat the mills by a point at the same stage last year, ballyea and clarecastle need no interduction to each other in the parrish darby , crusheen played there part in eliminating the holders sixmilebridge and will fancy a crack at last years runners up, while cratloe's double ambitions will be tested to the limit against an impressive looking eire og side in what should be one of the games of the championship

the 1/4 draw is as follows

cratloe v eire og

ballyea v clarecastle

newmarket v crusheen

clonlara v o'callaghans mills

the relagation 1/4 finals are

clooney /quinn v broadford

doora/barefield v whitegate

wolf tones got the short straw and are placed in the relegation semi finals

as far as i know the ties are set to be played on the weekend after next , all four ties in the 1/4 finals very intresting , clonlara beat the mills by a point at the same stage last year, ballyea and clarecastle need no interduction to each other in the parrish darby , crusheen played there part in eliminating the holders sixmilebridge and will fancy a crack at last years runners up, while cratloe's double ambitions will be tested to the limit against an impressive looking eire og side in what should be one of the games of the championship

So the one team I didn't want eire of getting drawn against they got!!!
    Will be a cracking game though. Better for us to be underdogs rather than favourites at least.

What's the story with the relegation play offs? Do the losers of the games play each other to see who goes down or what?

BTW, the feed from facebook is the playoffs are
    Broadford vs Clooney/Quin
    St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield vs Kilmaley
    Whitegate vs Tulla
    Wolfe Tones na Sionna in semi-final

• Advertisement

Ok, I think I've it figured out, the 3 teams play, and the losers are going down EXCEPT for 1 team who will play Shannon and the losers of that will go down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement