Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    What's the story with the relegation play offs? Do the losers of the games play each other to see who goes down or what?

BTW, the feed from facebook is the playoffs are
    Broadford vs Clooney/Quin
    St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield vs Kilmaley
    Whitegate vs Tulla
    Wolfe Tones na Sionna in semi-final

yeah sorry made a balls of that one :rolleyes:, i think the 3 losers join wolf tones in the relegation "semi final" where the two losers will be relegated i think then the two winners play off in the relegation "final " with the losers of that game geting demoted to intermediate next year, so wolfe tones really got the short straw if they lose one game they are down , if they win there first game they can still go down very harsh on them

Ok, I think I've it figured out, the 3 teams play, and the losers are going down EXCEPT for 1 team who will play Shannon and the losers of that will go down.

that would make more sence , i am not 100% sure on how the format works either but it is very confusing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It wouldn't make sense for the Clare County Board to make sense, also, they have to leave a back door in place in case they need to do a favour for someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So ye're getting so accustomed to u-21 finals, not even a single post today. Nice position to be in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

So ye're getting so accustomed to u-21 finals, not even a single post today. Nice position to be in :)

In fairness its hard to get too excited over an inevitable turkey shoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Browney7 wrote: »
    In fairness its hard to get too excited over an inevitable turkey shoot

That game was of no benefit to either team. Clare would have been better off to meet one of the teams from the other semi-final.

in fairness antrim are trying there best but the only way they will have any chance of improveing would be to enter the underage system in leinster,

everyone knew going down there yesterday that there would be atleast 15 to 20 points in it . the current system dose not suite galway either, they were probably the better team against wexford too but lack of games seemed to stand against them , you would have a far better championship if the runners up in leinster and munster got a second chance

results in the football championship this weekend so far

3rd round playoff

cooraclare 2-13 -1-03 ennistymon
    eire og 3-16 0-06 lissycaesy

relagation play off

st breckans 1-10 1-08 shannon geals

1/4 final draw
    cooraclare v doonbeg

eire og v miltown malbay

kilkee/kilmurry ibrickane v clondegad

o'curry''s/doora barefield v cratloe

relagation playoff final

shannon gaels v kilrush/liscannor

relagation playoff final

shannon gaels v kilrush/liscannor

kilrush 1-05 liscannor 1-04

liscannor will face shannon gales in the relagation decider after a tense battle with kilrush an injury time point keeps the shams senior for another year

two remaining games tonight

@ kilmihil : o currys v doora/barefield (17:45)
    @ doonbeg : kilmurry ibrickane v kilkee (18:45)

two full time results from the senior championship

o'curry's 2-12 0-16 doora barefield

kilmurry ibrickane 0-16 1-09 kilkee

the 1/4 finals will take place in two weeks time

o'currys v cratloe

kilmurry ibricane v clondegad

eire og v miltown

doonbeg v cooraclare

intermediate football championship

group 1 round 3

wolf tones 2-14 2-07 eire og ( B)
    clarecastle 1-08 1-06 kilfarnora

group 2 round 3

kilmurry ibrickane ( B) 0-0 - W/O kildysart
    corofin 2-10 -0-11 kilmihil

wolfe tones top group 1 eire og pick up second place on scoring difference both teams qualify for the semi finals

group 2 is up in the air as the top 3 teams are tied on 4 points and will have to face each other again in a 3 way playoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Any idea as to when the playoffs between corofin, kilmihil and kildysart will take place or how they will do the draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Not sure when they're on but usually they draw 2 to play off with the winner going through and the loser playing the other team left to see who also goes through.

Hurling q/f's on this weekend. Treble header in the park tomorrow starting at 3.30 with Cratloe v Eire Og, 5.00 is Clonlara v OC Mills and Crusheen v Nemarket at 6.30. Cratloe and Clonlara should win the first two with the last game to tight to call.

The all parish affair between Ballyea and Clarecastle takes place on Sunday at 1pm with Ballyea being the favourites.

Boots234 wrote: »
    Any idea as to when the playoffs between corofin, kilmihil and kildysart will take place or how they will do the draw?

yeah this saterday corofin play kildysart in gurteen the winners will play eire og's second team in two weeks time the losers will play kilmihil next weekend with the winners of that playing wolfe tones and the losers out so the expected kilmihil v wolf tones final will not happen , personally i taught corofin would be in the mix too though they ran miltown close in last years semi final, but it would seem kildysart have the Indian sign over them i would expect it to be kilmihil v corofin in the final play off

Not sure when they're on but usually they draw 2 to play off with the winner going through and the loser playing the other team left to see who also goes through.

Hurling q/f's on this weekend. Treble header in the park tomorrow starting at 3.30 with Cratloe v Eire Og, 5.00 is Clonlara v OC Mills and Crusheen v Nemarket at 6.30. Cratloe and Clonlara should win the first two with the last game to tight to call.

The all parish affair between Ballyea and Clarecastle takes place on Sunday at 1pm with Ballyea being the favourites.

all three games will be very hard to call , hopfully there will be a big turnout , some of the attendances have been very poor through out the group stages all very interesting games but would agree with you with cratloe , clonlara , with a slight preference leaning towards newmarket , the game on sunday is also very hard to call ballyea might be favorites but they were probably playing better hurling at the same stage of the championship last year,

yeah this saterday corofin play kildysart in gurteen the winners will play eire og's second team in two weeks time the losers will play kilmihil next weekend with the winners of that playing wolfe tones and the losers out so the expected kilmihil v wolf tones final will not happen , personally i taught corofin would be in the mix too though they ran miltown close in last years semi final, but it would seem kildysart have the Indian sign over them i would expect it to be kilmihil v corofin in the final play off

Can't see anyone but Tones winning this grade. I thought Kilmihil would run them close but not after last weekends result. Whoever wins between corofin and kildysart will beat eire og but won't win the final

Boots234 wrote: »
    Can't see anyone but Tones winning this grade. I thought Kilmihil would run them close but not after last weekends result. Whoever wins between corofin and kildysart will beat eire og but won't win the final

yeah i always taught that corofin were descent though they nearly beat miltown in last years semi final only losing by 2 points although in saying that kildysart have the indian sign over them in reacent times

at half time it was 0-6 to 0-4 to corofin , the last update i had was with 10mins into the seccond half and it was 1-06 to 0-08 to corofin

cratloe the first team into the semi finals with an 8 point win over eire og , feakle are the first team into the intermediate final with a 1 point win over sixmilebridge

results so far today

senior hurling championship 1/4 final

cratloe 2-21 2-13 eire og

relagation playoffs

clooney quinn 2-22 1-10 broadford
    kilmaley 0-15 0-14 doora/barefield
    tulla 1-13 - 0-12 whitegate (half time score)

intermediate hurling championship

feakle 2-16 2-15 sixmilebridge (B)

senior hurling championship 1/4 final

clonlara 3-20 2-11 0'callaghans mills

relagation play off

tulla 1-21 0-20 whitegate

intermeadite football playoff

corofin 2-12 1-14 kildysart (AET)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Disappointed eire og didn't keep it closer than that score line.
    Really thought we could cause an upset but experience and class shone thru in the end.
    Still a pretty decent year from the hurlers and things are looking a lot brighter than a couple of years ago.

Don't know has the draw been made for the semi finals but a cratloe clonlara final would be very good I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Anyone know how much it costs for Clarecastle/Ballyea tomorrow? And just out of interest how much was it to get into the park today for the quarter finals?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it costs for Clarecastle/Ballyea tomorrow? And just out of interest how much was it to get into the park today for the quarter finals?
    Thanks!

I'd guess 10 euro.
    Ballyea might be slight favourites but I think Clarecastle have an excellent chance. As Windy Shepherd pointed out Ballyea aren't hurling anywhere near as well as this time last yr. In last years Q final they were excellent v Crusheen. They've been below that standard in their last 2 group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I'd guess 10 euro.
    Ballyea might be slight favourites but I think Clarecastle have an excellent chance. As Windy Shepherd pointed out Ballyea aren't hurling anywhere near as well as this time last yr. In last years Q final they were excellent v Crusheen. They've been below that standard in their last 2 group games.
    Thanks, Hidalgo.
    Helps to have some idea with 3 kids to bring... Should be very close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

clonlara 3-20 2-11 0'callaghans mills

3-11 for Conlon :eek:

3-11 for Conlon :eek:

yeah clonlara have been relentless through out the championship in my book they have been massive favorites from day one i taught newmarket would challange as well but they were beaten by 3 points last night

conlon was probably clares best player all year from league through championship but with the fire power that clonlara have they were always going to be too good for o'callaghans mills , mills ran them close last year but clonlara look a compleatly different animal this year , the general taught is that cratloe are the only team that will trouble them but i think a dodged physical side like crusheen or clarecastle could run them close , but from what i have seen at the moment they look the best side left in the championship

it realy is somthing to see a player notch up such a high score but as i said above they were in a different class to there opponents last night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anyone have the result of the Ballyea Clarecastle game (on at 1pm wasn't it?)

Disappointed eire og didn't keep it closer than that score line.
    Really thought we could cause an upset but experience and class shone thru in the end.
    Still a pretty decent year from the hurlers and things are looking a lot brighter than a couple of years ago.

Don't know has the draw been made for the semi finals but a cratloe clonlara final would be very good I reckon.

in fairness to eire og they have had a very good year and have the consloution prize available to them in a few weeks time against o'callaghans mills for the senior b honors

in a year where 5 teams were to get relagated they put in some impressive displays in senior b with a good young team they will build on it next year no doubt , i am sure the knock out style of championship will suite them as well
    the likes of david reidy ,davey o'halloran thomas downes shane o'donnell are all 21 or younger so the future looks bright for them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

marco_polo wrote: »

Clarecastle 2-19 Ballyea 1-14 (FT) Clarecastle back in the last four for the first time in 7 years apparently

yeah sorry forgot to post it was clarecastle 2-19 -1-14 ballyea

clarecastle far too strong and possibaly dark horses

the other game last night finished

crusheen 1-16 - 1-13 newmarket

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No bother you're allowed one slip :). Didn't think Ballyea were desering of being such warm favourites but a little surprised it wasn't closer, sounds like a pretty dissapointing performance.

• Advertisement

Ballyea led 04 02 after about 10 mins. After that Clarecastle took over and at HT led 2 12 to 06.
    Talking to a friend who was at it. He said Clarecastle had their matchups spot on. Most notably Stephen O Holloran on Tony Kelly.

The 4 C's remain standing.

No bother you're allowed one slip :). Didn't think Ballyea were desering of being such warm favourites but a little surprised it wasn't closer, sounds like a pretty dissapointing performance.

yeah they were over hyped , from what i saw of them over the summer they never really looked liked real contenders, today they forged plenty of chances and a large number of goal chances and couldnt convert, they were all over the place in the first half, but through out the game there seemed to be a pateren where ballyea went close with a goal chance or had a player disposesed in a scoreable position it was nearly always punished immediately down the other end of the field

i wouldnt write off clarecastle , but if they gave up the same level of scoring chances against the likes of cratloe or clonlara they would be punished , and the fact they had trouble staying close with newmarket a few weeks ago , i would be willing to put a line through there name should they draw crusheen giving the nature of there win yesterday but at this stage it is very hard to call

John Galvin joining the cratloe footballers must make them odds on to retain the title, he is a massive addition

Hurling SFs.
    Clonlara V Crusheen tbp 20/21 Sept.
    Cratloe V Clarecastle dependent on Cratloe V O' Currys in football.

couple of results in the senior football championship today , cratloe are still on for the double after a 4 point win over o'curry's at lissycasey , they had led by 10 points halfway through the second half a late flurry of scores and chances had them on the ropes late on , the fixture between clondegad and killmurry ibrickane is off due to a tragic farming accident at clondegads request

senior b semi final

lissycasey 0-16 - 0-10 ennistymon

senior chamionship 1/4 final

cratloe 0-16 -1-09 o'curry's

few results from earlier today in the football championship , liscannor will be intermediate next year after a 6 point defeat to shannon gaels,and last years finalists are out thanks to a last minuet rory donnally goal

senior football championship 1/4 final

cooraclare 1-07 0-08 doonbeg

relagaton playoff

shannon gaels 2-11 1-08 liscannor

intermiedite football championship ( play off )

kildysart 0-24 3-11 kilmihil ( aet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

I d say that LL be sweet for cooraclare getting one over doonbeg!!

Any one know how the junior championship is going??

I d say that LL be sweet for cooraclare getting one over doonbeg!!

Any one know how the junior championship is going??

yeah it must have hurt doonbeg alright , it seemed as if the game was over dispite only 1 point in it . a lucky bounce caught out doonbeg which left a 1 on 1 most players would have fisted it over the bar and take extra time

cooraclare were the better team but kicked a criminal amount of wides

the junior championship was at 1/4 final stage at the weekend

naomh eoin 1-16 1-08 ballyvaughen

ennistymon 2-11 1-08 kilrush

moy 2-05 0-13 michael cusacks

with coolmean stil to play clondegad, i would imagine naomh eoin and coolmeen would be the strongest teams in the division and would imagine one of them 2 teams will be contesting intermediate next year

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

yeah it must have hurt doonbeg alright , it seemed as if the game was over dispite only 1 point in it . a lucky bounce caught out doonbeg which left a 1 on 1 most players would have fisted it over the bar and take extra time

with coolmean stil to play clondegad, i would imagine naomh eoin and coolmeen would be the strongest teams in the division and would imagine one of them 2 teams will be contesting intermediate next year

Don't rule ennistymon, though it depends if they've lost players to the seniors..
    Would hoping for a naomh eoin win myself!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah sh1te..
    We'll miss them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And given that choice they were always going to pick the footballers.

They get to work with there father and the team environment seems a lot less serious than the hurling panel under Davy.

Massive boost for the football panel anyway and hopefully they produce the goods again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ridiculous decision, ****ing waste. Football in Clare is a joke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Absolutely massive blow to the hurlers but I do give Podge a lot of respect for making the decision. It'll cause and even bigger divide in the county board now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

such a good hurler, you'd think there would be some way that they could line out for both

Shame.

But they're entitled to make their own decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Does anyone know has semi final draw been made? Hoping Naomh Eoin win.Have a nice blend of youth and experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

And given that choice they were always going to pick the footballers.

They get to work with there father and the team environment seems a lot less serious than the hurling panel under Davy.

Massive boost for the football panel anyway and hopefully they produce the goods again next year.

Daddy or Davy. Only going to be one winner. Footballs gain is hurling's loss. Podge was sublime against us in the semi final last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

buck65 wrote: »
    Ridiculous decision, ****ing waste. Football in Clare is a joke.

I think it a great day for Clare Footballers. Too often Clare Football has played second fiddle to the hurlers. They dont have half the resouces given to the hurlers. The appointement of Colm Collins was the first decent management since John O'Keefe was involved in 98. This year there was actually a professional set up and first time in years that the county best players wanted to play for their county.Progress was made with promotion to Division 3 and playing 5 Championship games. If could get also Liam Markham and Cathal McInerney they would be huge additions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

He is missing out on winning all irelands though. .... and for what? The chance to play under your father? Where's his ambition gone? Football in clare is poor at best. Disappointing day for our hurling tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

He is missing out on winning all irelands though. .... and for what? The chance to play under your father? Where's his ambition gone? Football in clare is poor at best. Disappointing day for our hurling tradition

There is as much chance of Clare footballers winning silverware next year than the hurlers.

People were calling for Podge to give up one code and concentrate fully on one all year,He has now done that but there seems to be a big problem that he picked football.

Cork will have the same problem with there lads if they choose the big ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

No chance of clare footballers winning anything major next year. Great chance of the hurlers winning many all Irelands in years to come if they stick together and play as one. I think this is more a case of podge throwing his toys out of the cot cos he had been called out over playing both codes. Very sad if that is the case

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement