Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No chance of clare footballers winning anything major next year. Great chance of the hurlers winning many all Irelands in years to come if they stick together and play as one. I think this is more a case of podge throwing his toys out of the cot cos he had been called out over playing both codes. Very sad if that is the case

He is an amateur sportsman, whom I am sure would love to play both codes for the county as he did this year. If certain individuals cannot facilitate that then it say alot more about them than either of the Collins brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

No chance of clare footballers winning anything major next year. Great chance of the hurlers winning many all Irelands in years to come if they stick together and play as one. I think this is more a case of podge throwing his toys out of the cot cos he had been called out over playing both codes. Very sad if that is the case

Very harsh to accuse of him " throwing his toys out of the cot cos he had been called out over playing both codes". To me it seems that Footballers were happy with dual situation, Hurlers told him make a choice; so he chose football. Hurling is very competitive so hard to know how much silverware Clare will win in coming years - Tipp, Limerick and Cork all fancy their chances at silverware in coming years also.
    Clare footballers really put it up to Kerry this year. Not miles away from winning a Munster title which would be huge for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

marco_polo wrote: »
    He is an amateur sportsman, whom I am sure would love to play both codes for the county as he did this year. If certain individuals cannot facilitate that then it say alot more about them than either of the Collins brothers.

It's not a case of facilitating the lads playing both codes. . It's a case of reiterating that it cannot be done without one suffering over the other. It was obvious this year that podge was not at his best with the hurlers. Even aidan walsh with cork looked jaded in the semi final

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It's not a case of facilitating the lads playing both codes. . It's a case of reiterating that it cannot be done without one suffering over the other. It was obvious this year that podge was not at his best with the hurlers. Even aidan walsh with cork looked jaded in the semi final

Could pick plenty of non dual player in that Cork side that looked 'jaded' in that semi final not to mention plenty from the Clare hurlers all year as well.

If somebody was forcing the issue behind the scenes well they sure got their answer, all I can say is tough **** if they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

I think this is hilarous. If managment feel that player can't play both to 100% level, then fine - up to them not to pick them. But I'd rather have Podge Collins at 95% then not have him at all.
    Comments about Aidan Walsh are cheap shots being made all year by people and the media. "Even aidan walsh with cork looked jaded in the semi final". 90% of the cork team looked jaded against tipperary -they simply didn't turn up. To pick out Aidan Walsh is silly. Same after Kerry v Cork - media / commentator criticised Walsh, Cahalane and Cadogan and brought up dual issue and that you couldn't do both. Them three players were no worse than rest of cork team that they. To a man, they all played very poorly.
    Walsh was outstanding in Munster hurling final against Limerick - no mention of this anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

He is missing out on winning all irelands though

Some arrogance considering the year the Clare Seniors have had.

Not at all arrogant. I do believe that there is fantastic potential there with this bunch of players and if managed correctly there is definitely more all Ireland victories in them. And my point is that podge will miss out on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭almostover

Not at all arrogant. I do believe that there is fantastic potential there with this bunch of players and if managed correctly there is definitely more all Ireland victories in them. And my point is that podge will miss out on that.

The lads were forced into the decision by Davy Fitz and not their father. Davy made a big issue of them playing football. It had little to do with Clare's performances this year. Clare, like many other teams before them, suffered from second season syndrome. They will be back as a team to be reckoned with next season and under-age success will ensure a steady crop of new players to keep them in the top 2-3 teams in the country in the coming years. For the 2015 championship I would rate them (begrudgingly) in the top 4 teams.

This is an overreaction by Davy Fitz and not the Collins' brothers. It's clear that Davy gave them an ultimatum and now it has backfired. Expect plenty of back-pedalling and internal negotiations this winter and Podge Collins to be wearing the 15 jersey for Clare hurlers next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

almostover wrote: »
    The lads were forced into the decision by Davy Fitz and not their father. Davy made a big issue of them playing football. It had little to do with Clare's performances this year. Clare, like many other teams before them, suffered from second season syndrome. They will be back as a team to be reckoned with next season and under-age success will ensure a steady crop of new players to keep them in the top 2-3 teams in the country in the coming years. For the 2015 championship I would rate them (begrudgingly) in the top 4 teams.

This is an overreaction by Davy Fitz and not the Collins' brothers. It's clear that Davy gave them an ultimatum and now it has backfired. Expect plenty of back-pedalling and internal negotiations this winter and Podge Collins to be wearing the 15 jersey for Clare hurlers next season.

If we could get Davy Fitz out!! It would be great but not while daddy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

fabsoul wrote: »
    If we could get Davy Fitz out!! It would be great but not while daddy there.

Have you already blanked out the year 2013 ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Have you already blanked out the year 2013 ?!

And what did he do this year with them? Davy is a joke

Davy is a joke! !? What a stupid and immature statement. 12 months have not even passed since he led us to glory and the knives are out already. Talk about fickle supporters. We will end up like the Cork team from a few years back when their strike caused all sorts of division within the county. Podge has clearly made his decision so let him off. If he can't give 100% to the county hurlers, well we are probably better off starting someone like aaron cunningham who will give his all for the jersey. It's just so disappointing cos podge is one of the most exciting forwards in the country let alone the county. Wish him the best with our footballers but i have a feeling he might regret this decision.

Like I said I'm sure it is not a decision they wanted to have to make, and I think its is crazy that they had to, especially given who is managing the football the result was inevitable.

Next year there'll be no "Lads that think they can play both codes" to use as a scapegoat, so Davy will either need to come up with better performances or a new excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

It's getting worrying though from a Clare point of view. Rumours are also suggesting that selector Mike Deegan from Cratloe may be leaving too, while Paul Kinnerk's position is up in the air also. Joe O'Connor, the fitness trainer has left already.

It's been quite a nightmare week for Clare hurling after the death in Ballyea last wednesday. Hopefully the U21's can win this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

marco_polo wrote: »
    Like I said I'm sure it is not a decision they wanted to have to make, and I think its is crazy that they had to, especially given who is managing the football the result was inevitable.

Next year there'll be no "Lads that think they can play both codes" to use as a scapegoat, so Davy will either need to come up with better performances or a new excuse.

agreed 100% , no one here cane tell me that they would do anything differently

i honstly think the likes of davey and ger loughnane's rants on the sunday game played a massive factor too in podge's decision, loughnane used kilkenny as an example saying they didnt have to worry about football down there and that we should be the same , what ger dosent seem to know is that there are a number of players in the county set up that would have been brought up with the idea of football first hurling second a number of those guys acutaly played inter county football before making the hurling breakthrough

what ever about what we have done at inter county in the last 10 years clare is very much a duel county at club level and the aim of colm collins is to try and reinstate that tag as was the case through out the 90's it was an impossible call for the lads to make , and in fairness to sean he will be a big loss to the hurlers next year , he has had a fine season with the cratloe hurlers so far

but in truth blood is thicker then water and there was no way in the world these too lads were going to turn there back on there father at davey fitz's request,

i would worry though if more players jumped ship , i still personaly think that the strict regime imposed on by davey was a factor in the players decision

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    It's getting worrying though from a Clare point of view. Rumours are also suggesting that selector Mike Deegan from Cratloe may be leaving too, while Paul Kinnerk's position is up in the air also. Joe O'Connor, the fitness trainer has left already.

It's been quite a nightmare week for Clare hurling after the death in Ballyea last wednesday. Hopefully the U21's can win this week.
    Haven't heard anything about mike deegan but i have it on good authority that kinnerk has indeed left along with Joe. Rumours abound as well that the clonlara contingent were not too happy with how o donovan was treated this season. I have a feeling that there is a bigger picture here..... That there might be moves being hatched to remove davy.

Haven't heard anything about mike deegan but i have it on good authority that kinnerk has indeed left along with Joe. Rumours abound as well that the clonlara contingent were not too happy with how o donovan was treated this season. I have a feeling that there is a bigger picture here..... That there might be moves being hatched to remove davy.

yeah all year we have been hearing these stories about unhappy players , problems inside the camp and so on.......... as i said above i would worry if more players dropped out of the panel

there is a ground hog day element to todays news , i remember hearing back around the wexford game in ennis that the cratloe players were ready to walk and that in fact kinnerk had walked at the time .....all very worrying stuff

and it cant go on noticed how well some players performed for gerry o'connor and donal moloney in the under 21 championship this summer , and yet were very poor under davy , i have a feeling there is a bigger picture behind all the stories i just hope there not as bad as i think

Davy let Podge play for the footballers this year , and still picked him for the hurlers when the league semi and championship came around.

Doesn't strike me as overly anti football or dual players

Maybe Podge just found it exhausting , or was concerned with burn out , and decided to stick to one

https://twitter.com/muirioch/status/509087725694504960/photo/1 back page of tomorrow's clare people sugests they were giving an ultimatum between football and hurling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Davy likes to give ultimatums, gave them to the clubs this year, might be giving them to players this year. IF a player is the best player in his position it shouldn't matter what he's going when he's not hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Clareman wrote: »
    Davy likes to give ultimatums, gave them to the clubs this year, might be giving them to players this year. IF a player is the best player in his position it shouldn't matter what he's going when he's not hurling.

As long as what he's doing when he's not hurling isn't impacting his ability to hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DunedinOg

Then the manager can chose not to pick him for a match. In essence what Davy has done is tell the Collins brothers that by playing football they would be so poor at hurling they couldn't even make an impact from the bench and thus undeserving of a place on the 2015 panel five months in advance of any semi serious game. Does anybody else agree with that? It might be true that you can't maximise your potential in either when playing both but I don't think you can argue the Collins brothers aren't worth a place on the hurling panel even when playing football.

Unlike Cork or Dublin, Clare footballers are unlikely to be at the business end of the championship and unlike Cork or Dublin where both managements would want any dual player 50% of the time Clare footballers were happy with a 75/25 split. Davy has made a decision that isn't in the best interest of Clare and I'm delighted to see amateur players standing up to bully boy tactics from a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marleyites

some craic today with some lad tweeting that Davey left. BS obviously.
    anyway, I hear Kinnerk is leaving. can any of ye cleare lads confirm that one?? would be a great addition to the Limerick mgt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

marleyites wrote: »
    some craic today with some lad tweeting that Davey left. BS obviously.
    anyway, I hear Kinnerk is leaving. can any of ye cleare lads confirm that one?? would be a great addition to the Limerick mgt.

The rumour mill has gone into meltdown. Have heard so many story's in the last two days it unreal and hard to believe any if them to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The rumour mill has gone into meltdown. Have heard so many story's in the last two days it unreal and hard to believe any if them to be honest!

No smoke without fire as they say, but I can't help but feel a lot of the rumours are BS. A lot of people over analysing the Collins thing and jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Afaik Joe O Connor is leaving/has left. He is however involved in finding his replacement so I'm guessing that that particular departure is amicable.
    Not sure what the story is regarding Kinnerk but if he does leave I wouldnt be in the least surprised to see him involved with Limerick next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marleyites

Lads what's going on, there's some fierce mad rumours doin the rounds, players discontent.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

marleyites wrote: »
    Lads what's going on, there's some fierce mad rumours doin the rounds, players discontent.....

Nothing but rumors at this stage, players are just with their clubs and the Under 21s, next years training squad is being invited back, some are saying that they are due back to group training in October but I'm not sure about that. There'll be a MASSIVE training squad this year, talks of over 60 players being invited to the initial sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Wolfe Tones v Corofin will meet in the intermediate football club final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Well done to the under 21 Clare hurlers, All Ireland Champions for the third year in a row.

• Advertisement

Great win. Some bunch of lads in fairness. ..... despite mcallister doing his best for wexford

Hehe, matched limerick's achievement of 3-in-a-row in the u21 !

Hope they all have long successful careers at senior.

Great achievement, well done to all involved. The home coming is due for 6 tonight in Ennis, hopefully there'll be a bit crowd around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

According to Peter O'Connell something big going down in Clare
    "Unofficial, unconfirned news breaking of an upcoming, potentially very interesting, Clare hurling related meeting "

End of an underage era for this group of players and they've given some return.
    Beaten AI finalists in 2010, lost semi by a pt in 2011 with a post denying a replay.
    Crucially this group has pushed on big time from minor to U21.

Afaik from U16 to U21 colm Galvin has only been on the losing side on one occasion in Munster competition. Fair achievement

According to Peter O'Connell something big going down in Clare
    "Unofficial, unconfirned news breaking of an upcoming, potentially very interesting, Clare hurling related meeting "

Rumors going around that the players are calling a meeting to vote of getting rid of Davy. Big fall out over Davy apparently trying to get players to give every penny of appearance money to the players fund while being unwilling to give anything himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rumors going around that the players are calling a meeting to vote of getting rid of Davy. Big fall out over Davy apparently trying to get players to give every penny of appearance money to the players fund while being unwilling to give anything himself.

Well that's not surprising anyway. Awful pity these problems are coming down to money.

As much as I dislike Davy, he is a good manager and most certainly deserves another year at the healm.

Well done to the Clare hurlers today, really all the words have being taken of how proud we are of this team. We've been so lucky to have been able to follow these boys these last 5 years.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    End of an underage era for this group of players and they've given some return.
    Beaten AI finalists in 2010, lost semi by a pt in 2011 with a post denying a replay.
    Crucially this group has pushed on big time from minor to U21.

Afaik from U16 to U21 colm Galvin has only been on the losing side on one occasion in Munster competition. Fair achievement

Yeah it was against Waterford in a wet day in Dungarvan back in April 2010. Galvin played in the corner. Its funny that the first game this team played ended in an 8 point defeat! How they have developed since them has been something else.

The team that day was:

R Taaffe; H Vaughan, N Purcell, S Morey; P Flanagan, K Lynch, S O’Halloran; P Collins, T Kelly; D O’Halloran, D Keane, A Cunningham; A Mulready, N Arthur, C Gavin.
    Subs: J Shanahan for Cunningham (ht); D McInerney for Keane (ht); E Boyce for Vaughan (41); C O’Connell for Mulready (52).

Davy Mc was still a midfield/wing forward!

• Advertisement

Well that's not surprising anyway. Awful pity these problems are coming down to money.

As much as I dislike Davy, he is a good manager and most certainly deserves another year at the healm.

I think it's more the straw that broke the camels back than just the money, everything is being put to the players as an ultimatum, it's either Davy's way or the high way and the players are getting a bit sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think it's more the straw that broke the camels back than just the money, everything is being put to the players as an ultimatum, it's either Davy's way or the high way and the players are getting a bit sick of it.

And rightly so. It's a hard call as Davy won the All-Ireland last year but he is a polarising character. He can't expect either of the Collins' to pick hurling over football especially as their father is the senior football manager. I'd understand the hurlers siding with the Collins'.

My general thought, if this is true, is that players play and the county board and clubs choose the management.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold....

Only guessing but I'd say there's way more rumours knocking about than actual truth.

It would be pretty poor timing at the very least. Let the U21s enjoy there time in the sun.

My general thought, if this is true, is that players play and the county board and clubs choose the management.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold....

Davys comments last summer won't have helped his relationship with the clubs.
    The supposed 'dark forces' out to hinder the team was a dig at clubs.
    I'd say that particular wedge will widen rather than close

The clubs organizing their own meetings and excluding Sixmilebridge from them was a clear sign with unhappiness with either Davy or the County Board (Pat).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

The clubs organizing their own meetings and excluding Sixmilebridge from them was a clear sign with unhappiness with either Davy or the County Board (Pat).

If this is true, and I don't doubt you Clareman, it's the clearest sign so far that they want to "out" Davy!

999/112 wrote: »
    If this is true, and I don't doubt you Clareman, it's the clearest sign so far that they want to "out" Davy!

Here's an article about it http://www.clarepeople.com/2014/06/18/clare-senior-club-championship-goes-ahead-as-clubs-flex-muscles/

I don't think it's fair to say that they want to "out" Davy, but they want to have the club championship played during the summer rather than rushing to get it played in October.

The reason that the clubs organised their own meeting was to endure pre arranged fixtures went ahead.
    In times past if a county manager wanted games cancelled the club delegates simply bent to this will.
    Last summer management if the various clubs met as one, appointed Crusheen manager as a spokesperson for the group and let the board know that if it went to a vote, they were voting in favour of club games progressing as planned.

Great turn out in town this evening, especially nice to see all the young boys and girls with hurleys pucking around.

Great turn out in town this evening, especially nice to see all the young boys and girls with hurleys pucking around.

was'nt in town but in general it is great for kids to see so much success to the county in truth the lads on the field yesterday were probably too young to have wached clare win an all ireland so its great motivation for the kids and for the future inter county teams ,

in regards all the rumors i havent heard anything diffrently to whats being posted reacently but the general feeling is the players dont seem too happy with how things are being run'd at the moment hopfuly its sorted quickly, couldnt ignore the tribute paid to paul kinnerk by tony kelly last night was it a plea to kinnerk to stay on or was it aimed at someone else to change there mind, or a send off ......who knows!!!!

just in relation to the podge thing again http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/224200?county=Clare a write up in the hogan stand website last week from ger loughnane from last week agree with most of what he says

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement