Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Boots234 wrote: »
    Wolfe Tones v Corofin will meet in the intermediate football club final

yeah wolf tones narrowly saw off kildysart , corofin made hard work of eire og's 2nd team , would expect tones to go up though it will be tight

double hedder in the park in two weeks time in the football semi finals after wins for kilmurry ibrickane and eire og

results from the weekend

Eire Og 2-13, St Josephs Miltown 3-7

KIB 2-10 Clondegad 1-11

IFC SEMI FINAL

Corofin 0-12, Eire Og 0-6

Wolfe Tones 2-4, Kildysart 0-9.

JFC 1/4 FINAL

Coolmeen 0-12 0-04 lissycaesy

EDIT!

just to confirm where the football championships are at

SFC semi finals

cooreclare v cratloe

KIB v Eire og

IFC FINAL

wolfe tones v corofin

JFC Semi finals

ennistymon v coolmeen

naomh eoin v michael cusacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

Paul Kinnerk, Mike Deegan and Joe O'Connor are gone.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2014/0917/644359-backroom-shake-up-for-clare-hurlers/

I don't blame Paul really for taking a year out. He is getting engaged and if he want to do a bit of travelling, nobaody can hold that against him. That said he is a huge loss, and Davy's appointment of a trainer is critical.

Well done to Mike and Joe too for their contributions. Hopefully the rumoured rift among the Cratloe lads isnt too bad now that Mike is gone. Michael Browne who was involved with the sucess of Crusheen and Tulla is brought in so hopefully he can bring something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Having read the article I'm of the understanding that Joe and Mike are just getting new roles within the squad? ?

Having read the article I'm of the understanding that Joe and Mike are just getting new roles within the squad? ?

Yeah, you're right I read it wrong.

I believe that the position with Joe O'Connor is that Kevin Harold is taking over as the S&C coach, with Joe in some sort of advisory role.

I dont know what role Mike will play, but it seems that Michael Browne will be taking his previous position.

Actually have it now from a very reliable source that Mike deegan has indeed left the set up. Nothing sinister in it. .... Just had enough after 3 years. Fair play to him. Great servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Think Micheal Browne had some involvement last yr. In the stands as analyst or something along those lines.

Personally I'm happy with him as a selector. He deserves a post with a County team when looking at his club record.
    Crucially Browne won't be simply a yes man which is something I feared Deegans replacement would amount to.

Actually have it now from a very reliable source that Mike deegan has indeed left the set up. Nothing sinister in it. .... Just had enough after 3 years. Fair play to him. Great servant.

Derrick Lynch on his twitter account released a few statements from Mike, Paul, Joe and Davy himself on the matter. All were quite interesting.

Mike will only be involved on match day so it fair to say he is being replaced by Browne.

Paul Kinnerk expressed interest in returning to the setup in 2016, which is good news! But that could be tricky for a new trainer coming in, and say, doing a good job.

The most interesting words came from Davy on the matter. He talked about how they made their position clear to Podge that the dual commitment didn't work and that they wanted a fully committed panel for 2015. Podge chose football and Davy and co. wished him well, but also reiterated that the door is open.

https://twitter.com/lynch_derrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Davy's statement on the matter: http://i.imgur.com/py9iHct.jpg

nice draw for the footballers in the 2015 national football league with 4 games at home

1ST of February wexford (h)

8th of February louth ( A )

1st of march sligo (H)

7th of march tippearay (a)

15th of march armagh (h)

28 of march limerick (a)

5th of April fermanagh (h)

the hurlers have been handed a more challanging draw with only 2 games at home, 3 away starting in galway

15th of febuary galway (a)

21st of febuary (Saturday) cork (a)

8th of march tipperary (h)

15th of march dublin (h)

22nd of march kilkenny (a)

only the possability of one double heder for the footballers and the hurlers on paddys weekend with armagh and dublin due in town on the same day although clare and tipperary will meet on the same weekend the week before , with the football away on the 7th and hurling at home on the 8th , should be an interesting spring ,

Champion reporting that Cathal McInerney will play for the footballers full time too. I dont think people will be hugely surprised by this. He is a highly rated footballer in Clare, while he is a sub for the hurlers.

Another good boost for football in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

letowski wrote: »
    Champion reporting that Cathal McInerney will play for the footballers full time too. I dont think people will be hugely surprised by this. He is a highly rated footballer in Clare, while he is a sub for the hurlers.

Another good boost for football in the county.

Best of luck to him and he should be a great addition to the football panel. Be interesting to see if any more jump ship in the coming weeks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wonder that he is a fellow Cratloe man has anything to do with it
    (Apart from the fact that they are a strong footballing force within the county and he is one of their best player of course).

Anyways whatever the reason I wish him the best of luck, a big boost for the footballers and an opportunity for another young lad on the hurling panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Best of luck to him and he should be a great addition to the football panel. Be interesting to see if any more jump ship in the coming weeks!

It would be great if Davy Jump ship back to Waterford with him. :D

fabsoul wrote: »
    It would be great if Davy Jump ship back to Waterford with him. :D

Why? Bearing in mind he led us to an all Ireland championship win only 12 months ago? ? Short memory perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭cnoc

Did Domhnall O'Donovan play any championship matches for Clare this year, and, if not, what was the reason?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cnoc wrote: »
    Did Domhnall O'Donovan play any championship matches for Clare this year, and, if not, what was the reason?

Don't think he played at all, afaik no reason that anyone outside the mamagement/squad knows of. Seems a harsh demotion on the face of it and rumor has it a number of players were less than pleased with how he was treated.

I've no idea if there is any substance to them or not, Clare hurling rumours are ten a penny these days unfortunately :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jack Browne and Seadna Morey pushed for places in the back line ?

Dillon and McInerney were never likely to be dropped

Closest O Donovan got to championship minutes was ready to come on at the end of the drawn game v Wexford just as et ended.
    Think he missed some early season training due to work commitments which I guess wouldn't sit great with the manager.

Morey isn't a natural corner back and Browne was raw imo so I'm surprised O Donovan didnt see action.

Don't think the Clonlara cintingent were too impressed with how he was treated

marco_polo wrote: »
    Don't think he played at all, afaik no reason that anyone outside the mamagement/squad knows of. Seems a harsh demotion on the face of it and rumor has it a number of players were less than pleased with how he was treated.

I've no idea if there is any substance to them or not, Clare hurling rumours are ten a penny these days unfortunately :).

there is no doubt davy fitz lost an awful lot of support with the clare people this year , with the treatment of the local media ( who never did anything wrong in the first place ) and the way he treated the clubs half way through the championship, there is no way i would doubt the fact that he most probably dropped donal for his work commitments, thats if he treats the players the same way he treats everyone else of course

but some of the rumors were well off the mark, i would expect things to settle back down again shortly , to give davy his credit he is a very good manager but the off the field stuff has to stop

• Advertisement

If it is the case that he missed some training, hypothetically, then picking guys like that aren't going to win you the all-Ireland unfortunately

The guy you're marking in the championship won't take it easy on you cos you've been busy at work

You could almost turn it around and say Davy wasn't afraid to make a hard decision

If it is the case that he missed some training, hypothetically, then picking guys like that aren't going to win you the all-Ireland unfortunately

The guy you're marking in the championship won't take it easy on you cos you've been busy at work

You could almost turn it around and say Davy wasn't afraid to make a hard decision

yeah but the whole set up heading into the league/championship was miles behind the rest of the country i think the players went on holliday in mid january where most of the top teams in the country were putting the finishing touches to there league campaign, this year the development squads will be out training 3 months earlier which will work in our advantage massively come
    next summer

donal was unable to make training for the first month or two of the year , he wasnt that far behind his team mates in terms of training last march or aprail

there is no doubt davy fitz lost an awful lot of support with the clare people this year , with the treatment of the local media ( who never did anything wrong in the first place ) and the way he treated the clubs half way through the championship, there is no way i would doubt the fact that he most probably dropped donal for his work commitments, thats if he treats the players the same way he treats everyone else of course

but some of the rumors were well off the mark, i would expect things to settle back down again shortly , to give davy his credit he is a very good manager but the off the field stuff has to stop

Seemingly (rumour if you like) but he, Domhnall O'Donovan was given an ultimatum by D Fitz to get a job in this part of the country, or else he would be dropped from the panel.

14 man Crusheen knock out Clonlara :o

Seemingly (rumour if you like) but he, Domhnall O'Donovan was given an ultimatum by D Fitz to get a job in this part of the country, or else he would be dropped from the panel.

yeah i heard that story too but in fairness he is not the only player in the panel working outside the county , hard to know if it was actually true or not but as i said above it would not have been out of place of davy to say something like that

14 man Crusheen knock out Clonlara :o

very poor game , crusheen just muscled there way through the game they were way too psychical for clonlara , both defences were very strong which ment the game turned into a tennis match between the two defences at times , it goes to show just how unevan the group stages are in the championship , clonlara looked like world beaters up to today , in an open draw system i am sure the likes of sixmilebridge would be still in the mix at this stage

i taught clonlara would get through today , it wouldnt be beyond the possibility of a clarecastle v crusheen final , but if cratloe do get through tomorow as they found out earlier in the championship , they will have a huge job on there hands to get over the line

feakle got promoted today with a 4 point win over parteen in the intermediate final ,just in time as 4 extra teams will be relagated , wolfe tones the leatest to hit the drop zone after there loss to doora/barefield ,

the joes go on to play whitegate in the final relagation playoff game where the winner stays up, whitegate beat broadford in the other relagation play/off

the senior B final ended in a 0-16 to 1-13 draw between o'callaghans mills and eire og

yeah i heard that story too but in fairness he is not the only player in the panel working outside the county , hard to know if it was actually true or not but as i said above it would not have been out of place of davy to say something like that

very poor game , crusheen just muscled there way through the game they were way too psychical for clonlara , both defences were very strong which ment the game turned into a tennis match between the two defences at times , it goes to show just how unevan the group stages are in the championship , clonlara looked like world beaters up to today , in an open draw system i am sure the likes of sixmilebridge would be still in the mix at this stage

i taught clonlara would get through today , it wouldnt be beyond the possibility of a clarecastle v crusheen final , but if cratloe do get through tomorow as they found out earlier in the championship , they will have a huge job on there hands to get over the line

feakle got promoted today with a 4 point win over parteen in the intermediate final ,just in time as 4 extra teams will be relagated , wolfe tones the leatest to hit the drop zone after there loss to doora/barefield ,

the joes go on to play whitegate in the final relagation playoff game where the winner stays up, whitegate beat broadford in the other relagation play/off

the senior B final ended in a 0-16 to 1-13 draw between o'callaghans mills and eire og

Ya twas a terrible game alright. Wasn't a bit impressed with Clonlara and didn't think the bigger names in their squad stood out. Galvin and Conlon were poor throughout. There's some steel in that Crusheen squad to win that game down a man and their most influential player at that. Expecting a better showing from Cratloe tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Bad game between Crusheen and Clonlara but you cant blame Crusheen for that. Playing with 14 men for half the game, they still managed to play the game on their terms.
    Clonlara played right into crusheens hands carrying the ball into contact. If there's one side that relish a physical digfight its Crusheen.

After 20 mins Clonlara led by a solitary pt despite having done the majority of the hurling. Too many crossfield passes abd over elaboration of short passing cost them time and time again.
    Considering the firepower Clonlara possess, a return of 2 pts in the 2nd half was a shocking return. Both from placed balls and with an extra man adds to it.

Big thing now for Crusheen is they have to plan without Pat Vaughan who got a straight red just before HT. Injuries to Jamie Fitzgibbon and Alan Brigdale also.

Physios on both sides were flat out as players were dropping constantly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Senior Championship Semi-Final Full-Time:
    Cratloe 4-15 Clarecastle 1-19
    Cratloe will now face Crusheen in the Senior Championship Final

Clareman wrote: »
    Senior Championship Semi-Final Full-Time:
    Cratloe 4-15 Clarecastle 1-19
    Cratloe will now face Crusheen in the Senior Championship Final

It will probably be billed as Crusheen's defence vs Cratloes attack, but games don't always work out that way. Should be a very interesting game, nonetheless.

Conor McGrath with 3-4, thankfully he didn't decide to go for the football too!

Has any team ever done the double in Clare? It would be some achievement for Cratloe if they could pull it off. Certainly wouldn't be beyond possibility.

Eire og win the football and were in the hurling final a few years back, 2000 maybe

Can't remember anyone ever doing the double

Eire og win the football and were in the hurling final a few years back, 2000 maybe

Were the Collins' brothers and Cathal McInerney playing playing fror Cratloe or did they give up hurling altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Were the Collins' brothers and Cathal McInerney playing playing fror Cratloe or did they give up hurling altogether?

They are still playing hurling for their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

I'd imagine that they would be short odds to do the double now. They should be favourites to win the hurling and I think only Eire Og could beat them in the football but they still should have enough to win both titles

I'd imagine that they would be short odds to do the double now. They should be favourites to win the hurling and I think only Eire Og could beat them in the football but they still should have enough to win both titles

Has John Galvin added much to the footballers?

letowski wrote: »
    It will probably be billed as Crusheen's defence vs Cratloes attack, but games don't always work out that way. Should be a very interesting game, nonetheless.

Conor McGrath with 3-4, thankfully he didn't decide to go for the football too!

Has any team ever done the double in Clare? It would be some achievement for Cratloe if they could pull it off. Certainly wouldn't be beyond possibility.

infairness to crusheen they came very close to beating cratloe in the group stage i think there was only one or two points in it in the end , and it was very much a must win for both teams at the time as it was to see who toped the group and avoid the likes of clonlara and newmarket, the two teams that toped the other two groups , crusheen have sence beating both and in myopinion the one team cratloe probably didnt want to see in the final again

and i think one of the old ennis teams won the double maybe 80 odd years ago before they became eire og not sure
    Has John Galvin added much to the footballers?

he came on in there last game , a narrow win over o'curry's , they were wining by ten points when he came on , but bringing him on was a mistake as it compleatly upset there rhythm they moved two or 3 players out of position to accommodate him they went on to win the game by 4 and had to wether a late storm , i would expext him to keep playing cameo roles until he is fully fit

cratloe easily disposed of eire og early in the championship they won pulling up , so i dont think they would worry too much of a rematch, kilmurry are still lurking around and if there is one team that knows how to win county chapionships without playing well its them , and they would love nothing better then be the team known for stoping the double

I got the roll of honour for both the hurling and football from Wikipedia and did an excel sort to see if any clubs won both championships, just 4.

1929 Ennis Dalcassians
    1914 Ennis Dalcassians
    1911 Ennis Dalcassians
    1890 Ennis Dalcassians

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I know a Cratloe player and he did tell me at the start of the year they really wanted to do the double this year. Best of luck to them.

Whilst they'll probably be the bookies favourite for the hutling I wouldn't be in a panic to back them.
    Conor McGrath was lethal yesterday anytime he got ball in hand but I thought if his marker had slightly better hurling McGraths influence would have been a little less.

If there's one club well able to defend andcut out space its Crusheen.
    If Crusheen can stop McGrath from tearing it up I'd give them a right chance. Doing so will revolve around the fitness of Alan Brigade. He went off in the 2nd half v Clonlara with what looked a hamstring injury. If he's fit I'd see him as the best man marker for McGrath.

The one thing Crusheen don't have that Clarecastle had yesterday was a forward like Bobby Duggan. He got some excellent points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Just a reminder that Clare won it in 1995, and 1997.

What's to say they can't do it in 2013 and again in 2015?

pedro1234 wrote: »
    Just a reminder that Clare won it in 1995, and 1997.

What's to say they can't do it in 2013 and again in 2015?

Nothing's to say they won't and they could well do it but there seems to be a lot of turmoil at the moment. Time will tell a lot!

nearly half time in the first of the semi finals in the football championship eire og lead 0-7 to 0-4

comentary here

http://www.live-radio.net/SearchResults.php3?OSt=Li&St=&OFee=Any&OCnt=Li&Cnt=&OPag=10&OSta=Li&Sta=&OCit=Li&Cit=county+clare&OGen=Li&G

• Advertisement

nearly half time in the first of the semi finals in the football championship eire og lead 0-7 to 0-4

comentary here

http://www.live-radio.net/SearchResults.php3?OSt=Li&St=&OFee=Any&OCnt=Li&Cnt=&OPag=10&OSta=Li&Sta=&OCit=Li&Cit=county+clare&OGen=Li&G

Result?

Result?

sorry it finished eire og 0-14 k.i.b 1-07 couple pf players sent off for the bricks late on goal was last kick of the game as well , townies look like there geting better by the game , alot of good young players coiming through , davey o halloran is probably the best footballer in the county at the moment, they should give cratloe a better game in the final should it work out that way ,

sorry it finished eire og 0-14 k.i.b 1-07 couple pf players sent off for the bricks late on goal was last kick of the game as well , townies look like there geting better by the game , alot of good young players coiming through , davey o halloran is probably the best footballer in the county at the moment, they should give cratloe a better game in the final should it work out that way ,

Hope to make the Cooraclare Cratloe game tomorrow, Hard to see Cratloe being beaten in the big ball!

Hope to make the Cooraclare Cratloe game tomorrow, Hard to see Cratloe being beaten in the big ball!

it is i would expect the hurling to be an awful lot closer, both eire og and cooraclare lost by 4 points to cratloe earlier in the championship but both teams scored late goals to make the scoreline respectable

cooraclare will be able to contain cratloe better then most teams but the will struggle to find scores , other then rory donnelly they really dont have too much to write home about, pitty considering they could have hammered doonbeg the last day , they hit something like 28 missed chances between wides droped balls into goalkeepers hands or foild close range chances , even if they had one more player to the value of donnelly they would have a great chance , but i would expect cratloe to have far too much for them up front

should that work out , then the final will be a pulsating game and i feel much closer then the first day but it cant be ignored that cratloe led by 8 points with 3 or 4 mins to and were winning pulling up in the first round game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hon the townies :)

cratloe as expected through to the county football final after a tough hard fought win over cooraclare , the intermediate football final will go to a replay after a late wolfe tones point keeps the shannon side in the promotion hunt , coolmeen and naomh eoin wil contest the junior final , in hurling st josephs doora/barefield's miserable year just got worse today as they failled to hold on to senior status in there 3 point defeat to whitegate

SFC , Semi final

cratloe 0-12 0-08 cooraclare

IFC FINAL

Wolfe tones 1-06 0-09 corofin

JFC Semi finals

naomh eoin 0-18 2-9 michael cusacks
    coolmeen 2-10 1-10 ennistymon

SHC Relagation playoff

whitegate 2-09 1-09 st josephs D/B

cratloe as expected through to the county football final after a tough hard fought win over cooraclare , the interiediate football final will go to a replay after a late wolfe tones point keeps the shannon side in the promotion hunt , coolmeen and naomh eoin wil contest the junior final , in hurling st josephs doora/barefield's miserable year just got worse today as they failled to hold on to senior status in there 3 point defeat to whitegate

SFC , Semi final

cratloe 0-12 0-08 cooraclare

I wasn't hugely impressed with Cratloe today. They will need to buck up a lot to beat Eire og, thought Galvin seemed a long way off the pace too.

I wasn't hugely impressed with Cratloe today. They will need to buck up a lot to beat Eire og, thought Galvin seemed a long way off the pace too.

yeah they did pick off some great scores , cooraclare did very well to contain them lacked ideas at times in the second half when the game was in the balance, john galvan didnt seem to add too much to them really though , but in truth they were always that little bit ahead of cooraclare all day ,

eire og have improved since the first round of the championship but will it be enough to get over the line in two weeks time ?? .... i am not too sure , some of the scores cratloe picked off today were as good as you will see any where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

It will be the first football final since 1898 not to have a team west of Ennis in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Anyone know the score in the naomh eoin game..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement