Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I guess the hurlers are higher profile than the footballers ( Div 1 and All-Ireland contenders versus Div 3 in the football), that's a factor too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I guess the hurlers are higher profile than the footballers ( Div 1 and All-Ireland contenders versus Div 3 in the football), that's a factor too

Fair point and I'd say your right

My view is it shouldn't matter in if crime is same penalty and profile should be same for both

I feel for sean in imo he's made an example if this was top county nothing be done regards it not same extent as sean
    Sean deserved a ban fair enough but twelve weeks way too much when could be out by then
    For manager gives so much to football imo very very harsh as it's first time I think doing this

Hard to say if 12 weeks is harsh or not, without knowing exactly what was done/said

Hard to say if 12 weeks is harsh or not, without knowing exactly what was done/said

If this was Fitzmauirce or gavin or horan they wouldn't get twelve weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Apparently he gave the linesman a bit of a push, trying to get him to tell the ref about a score.

You can't touch an official, hard to know whether 12 weeks is harsh, don't know what the precedent is.

And it's true, if Davy had done that, there would be absolute uproar. Part of it is down to most Clare people caring more about the hurlers, but also because the media don't really care about Clare football, while Davy is someone who draws interest. For all we know, there are people in Quilty, Doonbeg, Miltown Malbay, Cooraclare who are absolutely fuming with Colm Collins, you just wouldn't hear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Apparently he gave the linesman a bit of a push, trying to get him to tell the ref about a score.

You can't touch an official, hard to know whether 12 weeks is harsh, don't know what the precedent is.

And it's true, if Davy had done that, there would be absolute uproar. Part of it is down to most Clare people caring more about the hurlers, but also because the media don't really care about Clare football, while Davy is someone who draws interest. For all we know, there are people in Quilty, Doonbeg, Miltown Malbay, Cooraclare who are absolutely fuming with Colm Collins, you just wouldn't hear about it.

Paul Galvin got it for slapping the notebook so I guess that's the precedent.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Officials don't need that sort of hassle or intimidation.
    12 weeks sounds well deserved to me.

Speculating the somebody else would or might have got something different is just whataboutery

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/shane-o-donnell-claims-disciplinary-row-brought-clare-squad-closer-together-1.2218630
    Another player to speak in defence management saying they were all happy with the dealing of it
    I said this before the players seemed united and they have spoken nothing to the contrary since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/shane-o-donnell-claims-disciplinary-row-brought-clare-squad-closer-together-1.2218630
    Another player to speak in defence management saying they were all happy with the dealing of it
    I said this before the players seemed united and they have spoken nothing to the contrary since

“We were all fairly content with the way everything was dealt with. We didn’t get involved, and everybody was fairly happy with it."

Fairly, but not 100%??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Seriously . What else was he going to say !!!

• Advertisement

sasol wrote: »
    Seriously . What else was he going to say !!!

Your unbelievable seriously

But if a whiff discontent came out v Davy you would totally say oh real real meaning
    Mother Theresa backed Davy this stage she's be accused lying

Imo your actually calling what donnell says as lies cause your saying it's not true in what else could he say
    He said it like galvin like louganne o Connor daly etc no real problem within
    How many more examples do ye need

I notice clare thread very quiet towards actual talk bout match
    If clsre loose have no doubt come a minute after match Davy be critsed

I had felt clare would won and injuries some were smoke screen but it seems now shanahan mcgrath Ryan could be out
    They would imo have panel overcome Collins and course galvin but adding in others and bulger being out its not inconceivable clare could well loose Sunday with out Davy be to fault

Podge was always going go with father
    Galvin was always wanting to travel but said he'll be back
    Limerick look like injuries they have well strengthen their team with a faster pacier half back line and breen not starting imo won't weaken them
    Clare injuries on the contrary weaken clare no end
    People using words like fairly as oh just fairly content they said in he's interview as well not convinced still
    Imo that's just pedantic now to be fair
    Donnell clearly said clare were always a united panel
    He's strong character so I doubt he'd go along with things if they were bad
    With the greatest respect your one line counter debate shows how hard it's to actually find an argument against Davy this stage over recent row when evidence for him been compelling with only circumstanceal evidence by one player against him and course nick o connell coming back apologies panel shows Davy was vindicated
    Davy is no angel but it's totally wrong the picture tried paint against him when players totally belive in him

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Your unbelievable seriously

Please explain ?

Do you really think that if Shane had a problem with management, that he was going to expose them to the national media on the week of championship ? Are you really that naïve ?

You could be well be right and perhaps Shane has no problem. But problem , or no problem , Shane or any other hurler for that matter, was always going to give a response such as that.

But if a whiff discontent came out v Davy you would totally say oh real
    real meaning

Why would I say that ? Again, please explain.

I have not engaged in Davy bashing , so I am a little bewildered.

There are very serious issues in Clare hurling at the moment. There is little to be gained from discussing them here, but it is obvious you are not privy to them.

sasol wrote: »

Please explain ?

Do you really think that if Shane had a problem with management, that he was going to expose them to the national media on the week of championship ? Are you really that naïve ?

You could be well be right and perhaps Shane has no problem. But problem , or no problem , Shane or any other hurler for that matter, was always going to give a response such as that.

Why would I say that ? Again, please explain.

I have not engaged in Davy bashing , so I am a little bewildered.

There are very serious issues in Clare hurling at the moment. There is little to be gained from discussing them here, but it is obvious you are not privy to them.
    But look all we can go on in players say

Galvin left and could left it at that
    He didn't he actually praised went out he's way praise Davy
    Donnell praises him here in their united
    Nick o connell apologies did he not

I have people I know in clare and yes we're issues but nothing like a minority here be fair now added two and two got hundred

Again no one absolutely no one backed halloran claims bar course connell but he came back and he deserves credit for that

But if people don't want discuss issues clare hurling and say no point mentioned them here fair enough that's understandable but by the same token they should not pick and choose what when say just go against Davy

I saw in the waterford thread regards Davy
    There fast enough to say oh he was bad in Waterford hurling they could tell a story upon story etc about Davy usual nonsense imo

Yet when one of their own mcgrath was questioned by another poster and others regards Waterford discipline within some who fast to question Davy say today look no benefit discussing any such problems within mcgrath team if they exist as it does no good

But it's one rule for everyone one else and one for Davy
    Bottom line imo a proven manager like Davy deserves better as Waterford greatest manager imo in last while getting them to an all Ireland and among clare best ever at moment only second to louganne as he won two all Ireland and should had three weeks

We're not starting another Davy debate are we....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

Id give Davy a good bit of credit TTM, if he can get the win on Sunday, even not allowing for the fact we could be without half our starting team. He has a huge role to play as its quite obvious Clare will have to play to a highly systematic gameplan if they are to win. If the game goes in anyway traditional, frentic, hip'n'whip whatever, we havent a hope as it would suit Limerick down to the ground.
    The big worry for me, which hasnt changed all year, will be the sharpness and accuracy in our hurling as were going to be looking again to placing huge emphasis on our short/running game. Davys teams, going back to his time with Waterford, have been notorious slow c'ship starters and the fact we dont have a skills trainer this year makes me worried.
    I think we can still do it on Sunday nonetheless. Im taking heart in the fact Limerick seem to be setting up defensively to deal with us, and it could make for the type of game that would suit us. If they go with 5 forwards, they will have to bring a strong short game, something they could potentially really struggle at as they dont have great sticksmen at the back to execute it, kinda like the start of last year under O'Grady.
    I think it might be a bit of a nervous, scrappy affair on Sunday but close though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭cnoc

letowski wrote: »
    Id give Davy a good bit of credit TTM, if he can get the win on Sunday, even not allowing for the fact we could be without half our starting team. He has a huge role to play as its quite obvious Clare will have to play to a highly systematic gameplan if they are to win. If the game goes in anyway traditional, frentic, hip'n'whip whatever, we havent a hope as it would suit Limerick down to the ground.
    The big worry for me, which hasnt changed all year, will be the sharpness and accuracy in our hurling as were going to be looking again to placing huge emphasis on our short/running game. Davys teams, going back to his time with Waterford, have been notorious slow c'ship starters and the fact we dont have a skills trainer this year makes me worried.
    I think we can still do it on Sunday nonetheless. Im taking heart in the fact Limerick seem to be setting up defensively to deal with us, and it could make for the type of game that would suit us. If they go with 5 forwards, they will have to bring a strong short game, something they could potentially really struggle at as they dont have great sticksmen at the back to execute it, kinda like the start of last year under O'Grady.
    I think it might be a bit of a nervous, scrappy affair on Sunday but close though.

Do you think the Tony Kelly / Shane O'Donnell "partnership" will work on Sunday, as it did against KK in the League?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

letowski wrote: »

Limerick are also without half their team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Coming from a waterford man I think Clare will win Munster this year

Would love a waterford v Clare munster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I was hopeful about Sunday but didnt realise we are missing 5 All-stars from 2 years ago. Its going to be tough, heard Limerick hammered Galway in a challenge match but suppose cant read too much into that. Looking forward to it. Ger Loughnane gave a great chat on Off the Ball tonight - worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Niallers87

Warper wrote: »
    I was hopeful about Sunday but didnt realise we are missing 5 All-stars from 2 years ago. Its going to be tough, heard Limerick hammered Galway in a challenge match but suppose cant read too much into that. Looking forward to it. Ger Loughnane gave a great chat on Off the Ball tonight - worth checking out

you wouldnt have a link handy for it would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Niallers87 wrote: »
    you wouldnt have a link handy for it would you?

I dont but it should be on the Newstalk website

cnoc wrote:
    Do you think the Tony Kelly / Shane O'Donnell "partnership" will work on Sunday, as it did against KK in the League?

My gut feeling, I think they will find it difficult. Against KK the forward setup was quite bizarre actually, Davy practically left the whole left side void by bringing Colin Ryan out to midfield and Reidy roaming in and out. It worked well as there was loads of space for Sod to run into and Kelly to play off. For instance Sods first goal happened as he let the ball go 20yrds straight past him and Myrphy from right to left, as he knew nobody was there on the other side.
    I dont know will Davy play this way, but I feel Tj has it right if he plays O'Mahony in front of Sod. Kelly and Sod I feel are better dealt with by cutting of the space and supply than being man marked. If O'Mahony does this it may be hard. Its then you wish Podge and McGrath were playing/fully fit. They're movement is outstanding both on and off the ball in creating space for others. I think we will need a big game for young Reidy on his first day out.
    Space has always been king for these group of players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hurling
    Speaking with a couple of players, there's some fairly serious injury doubts, apparently there was a fair intensive weekend away last week, 3 sessions over the weekend and a couple of serious injuries.

In regards to the match itself, looking at the 2 teams since they last played each other, Clare have won 1 match (All Ireland final :D) whereas Limerick have beaten Tipp and well beat the team which knocked Clare out and had 2 tight games with Cork and Tipp.

I've no doubt that a full strength Clare would beat a full strength Limerick, both teams are missing key players, hearing from challenges both teams are having similar results. IT has been a very very long time since either team has had a back to back result against the other.

In regards to the result, if Clare can keep their discipline and not get anyone sent off I think we'll win.

Football
    By all accounts they are going great guns and are playing out of their skin, talk of them being the fittest team in the country, we hear that every year so I wouldn't take much into it. I think we'll win by about 5 points.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/clare-ready-to-put-on-a-performance-predicts-colin-ryan-332011.html
    Very postive regards clare management particularly part Davy is very fair manager
    Great to see yet another player speak out in admiration for him
    I would have no doubt clare win even without galvin and Collins but shanahan Ryan bulger and mcgrath meant be all out its huge huge ask for clare
    Limerick seems to finally accepted play sweeper and injuries breen and Wayne mac seems strengthened them in limerick now have pace at half back and if pick lynch creativity up front
    I from the start always felt clare would win but injuries are mounting
    Most important thing imo is clare look keep perspective who likely come back so wouldn't rule out fully fit clare yet down the line

I certainly have such confidence and faith in Davy clare hurling that wouldn't say it's beyond them Sunday but we'll have to see what team he fields
    No doubt clare been unlucky with injuries which be fair Davy can't be blamed for as injury and paticularly hamstring injury are common place now

Clareman wrote: »
    Hurling
    Speaking with a couple of players, there's some fairly serious injury doubts, apparently there was a fair intensive weekend away last week, 3 sessions over the weekend and a couple of serious injuries.

In regards to the match itself, looking at the 2 teams since they last played each other, Clare have won 1 match (All Ireland final :D) whereas Limerick have beaten Tipp and well beat the team which knocked Clare out and had 2 tight games with Cork and Tipp.

I've no doubt that a full strength Clare would beat a full strength Limerick, both teams are missing key players, hearing from challenges both teams are having similar results. IT has been a very very long time since either team has had a back to back result against the other.

In regards to the result, if Clare can keep their discipline and not get anyone sent off I think we'll win.

Football
    By all accounts they are going great guns and are playing out of their skin, talk of them being the fittest team in the country, we hear that every year so I wouldn't take much into it. I think we'll win by about 5 points.

You've no doubt? That's the kind of arrogance that led to Clare being beat by Wexford last year. A soft all Ireland does not make you world beaters- there's nothing between Limerick and Clare on any day- always a 50/50 game going into it.

Vanolder wrote: »
    You've no doubt? That's the kind of arrogance that led to Clare being beat by Wexford last year. A soft all Ireland does not make you world beaters- there's nothing between Limerick and Clare on any day- always a 50/50 game going into it.

Arrogance is absolutely one hundred per cent justified in all sports if it's backed up with logic imo
    All the great great I mean really really great sport people ruby Walsh tony McCoy's the Nadal the mourinho the mcguiness Davy Fitzgerald cody Fitzmauirce van gal even Joel schmidt all are arrogant in one way or another but there absolutely justified as there all winners and at the top of their sports to be fair

No doubt clare having lost an all ireland minor to highly rated kk by a point won three all Ireland under twenty one titles row and equaled limerick great record but went forward by winning senior all Ireland there absolutely having achieved so so much so young entitled be arrogant imo as it's an acceptable trait in proven winners

Clare absolutely dominated limerick and cork so it wasn't a flukey all Ireland and even if so fact remains clare fully fit team dominated limerick then nothing say limerick would beat them fully fit teams

Sunday will be close and limerick could win due to injury clare but I'd agree clare lads bulger galvin Collins shanahan mcgrath Ryan clare would win

With all the injured players it's fair to say limerick have to win as they don't there's huge questions over them where clare know without injured lads once fit they will get stronger but even limerick fans doubt Wayne mac and breen strengthen limerick any great deal as limerick better players so bar tom Ryan who should start if limerick loose there's huge pressure on them
    I think clare were tired last year and second season syndrome had an effect
    In fairness limerick can hardly accuse clare of arrogance when in the lead up to the semi final two years ago limerick majority gave clare no chance and expected clare to just roll over despite limerick having done nothing in the lead up to the game to justify confidence to a huge degree

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Arrogance is absolutely one hundred per cent justified in all sports if it's backed up with logic imo
    All the great great I mean really really great sport people ruby Walsh tony McCoy's the Nadal the mourinho the mcguiness Davy Fitzgerald cody Fitzmauirce van gal even Joel schmidt all are arrogant in one way or another but there absolutely justified as there all winners and at the top of their sports to be fair

No doubt clare having lost an all ireland minor to highly rated kk by a point won three all Ireland under twenty one titles row and equaled limerick great record but went forward by winning senior all Ireland there absolutely having achieved so so much so young entitled be arrogant imo as it's an acceptable trait in proven winners

Clare absolutely dominated limerick and cork so it wasn't a flukey all Ireland and even if so fact remains clare fully fit team dominated limerick then nothing say limerick would beat them fully fit teams

Sunday will be close and limerick could win due to injury clare but I'd agree clare lads bulger galvin Collins shanahan mcgrath Ryan clare would win

With all the injured players it's fair to say limerick have to win as they don't there's huge questions over them where clare know without injured lads once fit they will get stronger but even limerick fans doubt Wayne mac and breen strengthen limerick any great deal as limerick better players so bar tom Ryan who should start if limerick loose there's huge pressure on them
    In fairness limerick can hardly accuse clare of arrogance when in the lead up to the semi final two years ago limerick majority gave clare no chance and expected clare to just roll over despite limerick having done nothing in the lead up to the game to justify confidence to a huge degree
    There was confidence in limerick that they could beat Clare, simply because up to then they had won a Munster title and Clare hadn't won anything...Clare are missing, is it 1 player from injury, McGrath, the rest have chosen not to play for Clare or are suspended so it's a little disingenuous to claim that a full strength Clare would beat limerick, this is a full strength Clare, besides McGrath and bugler...still the game will be close, Clare need to get a performance or the 2013 all Ireland will start to be devalued in many eyes and Davy will be under pressure to keep his role..,

Mehapoy wrote: »
    There was confidence in limerick that they could beat Clare, simply because up to then they had won a Munster title and Clare hadn't won anything...Clare are missing, is it 1 player from injury, McGrath, the rest have chosen not to play for Clare or are suspended so it's a little disingenuous to claim that a full strength Clare would beat limerick, this is a full strength Clare, besides McGrath and bugler...still the game will be close, Clare need to get a performance or the 2013 all Ireland will start to be devalued in many eyes and Davy will be under pressure to keep his role..,

How is it

The two I named galvin and Collins firstly yes fair enough Collins played football always likely as he's dad is a manager football blood always thicker than water
    Galvin as he said himself and Ryan today always wanted go travelling but galvin will be back

Whether it's by injury or suspension it's irrelevant in Ryan mcgrath shanahan and bulger are all huge doubts or definitely out so if you count them one by one that's actually a grand total of four who could be out

Clare win won't or can't be devalued as it's all Ireland win when they destroyed limerick so much took foot of the gas and cork in the replay and playing wonderful attacking flowing awesome style attacking hurling they gave hurling a new lease of life

Limerick unlike clare have no under twenty one all Ireland or senior to show so this limerick team been around for a while and it's now or never as you don't make hay while sun shines like Kildare football waterford hurling when they were dominate time passes you by
    Clare loose Sunday with all the injured players imo they having won four all Ireland as a group know they can win where limerick loose it's an absolute disaster as they loose at home with stronger team huge huge pressure on tj and after dismal league when should got promoted serious questions remarks remain over them and clsre have performed in croke park something limerick teams hsve never done so imo clare won't be devalued really but limerick progress last two years will be severely questioned in all the big games they loose

Clsre are better equipped with fit panel to come through the back door this limerick team are not
    Clare trouble in the camp came at the perfect time in it allowed clare time to heal however limerick tweet regards goal keeper situation certainly puts unnecessary pressure on the team in a key week and as daly said today clare need bit trouble to focus the minds where you look at limerick they don't handle trouble too well but unlike clare who solved there's if limerick loose this trouble over apparently politics camp that was said by tweet could suddenly take momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How is it

The two I named galvin and Collins firstly yes fair enough Collins played football always likely as he's dad is a manager football blood always thicker than water
    Galvin as he said himself and Ryan today always wanted go travelling but galvin will be back

Whether it's by injury or suspension it's irrelevant in Ryan mcgrath shanahan and bulger are all huge doubts or definitely out so if you count them one by one that's actually a grand total of four who could be out

Clare win won't or can't be devalued as it's all Ireland win when they destroyed limerick so much took foot of the gas and cork in the replay and playing wonderful attacking flowing awesome style attacking hurling they gave hurling a new lease of life

Limerick unlike clare have no under twenty one all Ireland or senior to show so this limerick team been around for a while and it's now or never as you don't make hay while sun shines like Kildare football waterford hurling when they were dominate time passes you by
    Clare loose Sunday with all the injured players imo they having won four all Ireland as a group know they can win where limerick loose it's an absolute disaster as they loose at home with stronger team huge huge pressure on tj and after dismal league when should got promoted serious questions remarks remain over them and clsre have performed in croke park something limerick teams hsve never done so imo clare won't be devalued really but limerick progress last two years will be severely questioned in all the big games they loose

Clsre are better equipped with fit panel to come through the back door this limerick team are not
    Clare trouble in the camp came at the perfect time in it allowed clare time to heal however limerick tweet regards goal keeper situation certainly puts unnecessary pressure on the team in a key week and as daly said today clare need bit trouble to focus the minds where you look at limerick they don't handle trouble too well but unlike clare who solved there's if limerick loose this trouble over apparently politics camp that was said by tweet could suddenly take momentum
    Is Davy Fitz your father? The fact that you keep writing these essays time and time again, doesn't make them a fact. Davy Fitz is an average manager, with serious passion for the game. You'd swear he created hurling the way you talk about him. They were fortunate enough in 2013 that they came up against a Wexford team in transition, they played well v a poor Galway side, Limerick sh*t the bricks in Croker and they beat a very poor Cork side in the final, only for Nash's penalties they wouldn't have stayed in the game.
    Stop talking about Waterford hurling in such a disrepecting way also, the cheek of you, long gone are the days where Cork hammer Waterford out the gate, you're comparing Waterford hurling to Kildare football, come off it boy.
    Any manager in Ireland would have loved to have had the Clare panel in 2014, looking at the potential of the team I was quite jealous, but for them not to win a game in the championship is unacceptable, Davy Fitz is not all you make him out to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Give me a soft all Ireland any day over a hard one.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Is Davy Fitz your father? The fact that you keep writing these essays time and time again, doesn't make them a fact. Davy Fitz is an average manager, with serious passion for the game. You'd swear he created hurling the way you talk about him. They were fortunate enough in 2013 that they came up against a Wexford team in transition, they played well v a poor Galway side, Limerick sh*t the bricks in Croker and they beat a very poor Cork side in the final, only for Nash's penalties they wouldn't have stayed in the game.
    Stop talking about Waterford hurling in such a disrepecting way also, the cheek of you, long gone are the days where Cork hammer Waterford out the gate, you're comparing Waterford hurling to Kildare football, come off it boy.
    Any manager in Ireland would have loved to have had the Clare panel in 2014, looking at the potential of the team I was quite jealous, but for them not to win a game in the championship is unacceptable, Davy Fitz is not all you make him out to be
    Look with respect no need be like that
    This is not the ist time you go that road when you don't like what's said
    Debate the points by all means
    This is clare thread and I'm entitled surely reference Davy as he's their manager
    Just my opinion, I respect yours but I don't agree with it

The irony in your posts are evident with respect be fair you critse like many waterford men Davy just cause he told ye a few home truth and said mullane show me your all ireland when mullane was clearly winding him up and Davy didn't leave on good terms yet Davy won lit waterford got ye all Ireland final won an all Ireland clare yet you say I'm disrespectful to waterford when waterford be fair have done nothing in light Davy achievements recently

Not at all am I disrespectful to waterford my posts fully justified regards Waterford in i you will find was only cork poster congratulations ye league win yere thread however I with validity rightfully say waterford done nothing yet

Regards the team eights years ago now let's be fair im not being disrespectful regards Waterford
    I said many times they were a very very good side but not my opinion but as the past shows let's be fair didn't win the all Ireland or get to a final and that team was very very good but won't be called great like clare two years ago when clare actually won the all Ireland

You try and say clsre won all Ireland out of default yet if anyone questions merit waterford wins v Galway who are poor a non interested cork with injured players you say it's devalued to waterford yet that was just league hurling to be honest now

One rule for Waterford one for the rest is it

Clare deserved their all Ireland and when waterford do that only then can ye question clare

I compared Kildare clare football in sense both were dominant in their game for years yet never pushed on like Kildare loosing all Ireland final and should beaten down all Ireland semi but didn't
    That my point but as usual you try to paint a different picture to the post given when you can't debate points with respect
    And in relation to cork as you say hammering waterford out the gate well cork won handily in the replay last year to be fair

People rate mcgrath as be fair he upsets no one
    Davy on the other hand could win ten all Irelands and still wouldn't get credit
    My admiration for Davy is simple I respect and admire all Ireland winners majority time and Davy has been superb for hurling
    I wouldn't like to be stranded on an island with him but I'd have no problem him managing cork team absolutely none

And as regards Waterford respect them, like I any team I respect them win they win all Irelands or show their on the road to it
    I was never in to false dawns in sport

In both cases imo jury still out
    I don't as you know just read a paper and go with hype some lazy journalism I tend to go by what I see before me
    As if I believe all the hype in past days cork football won all Ireland and limerick in hurling such was the unfounded optimistic views going around
    Clare are proven proven team with proven managers as the records show not just my opinion

niallo27 wrote: »
    Give me a soft all Ireland any day over a hard one.

Or even better again give me a soft all Ireland over none at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Or even better again give me a soft all Ireland over none at all
    be a long time before Cork win an All Ireland pal. If you're talking about titles from 2005, it's the same as me talking about 1959.

Clare had all them lads last year and they did nothing- they had them during the league and they did nothing---- They're a good team, some fine players, but they are no where near a KK team of the last ten years and therefore are very beatable on any given day. Munster is very close this year - the loss of O'mahony is a big blow for Waterford, but there's still little between all five counties.

Kelly
    O Donovan
    McInerney
    Dillon
    Browne
    Ryan
    Donnellan
    Golden
    O Connor
    Conlon
    Kelly
    Ryan
    Reidy
    O Donnell
    G O Connell

• Advertisement

crap.

I think there is a chance that team can win, but in terms odlf quality I think the Limerick team will have the beating of us by a couple of points.

Kelly
    O Donovan
    McInerney
    Dillon
    Browne
    Ryan
    Donnellan
    Golden
    O Connor
    Conlon
    Kelly
    Ryan
    Reidy
    O Donnell
    G O Connell

Gudgie & Golden are talented young hurlers but don't think we'll fear that in midfield.

Although I wouldn't trust Davy as far as I can throw him, I'm not ruling McGrath out until I don't see him at 4pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Kelly
    O Donovan
    McInerney
    Dillon
    Browne
    Ryan
    Donnellan
    Golden
    O Connor
    Conlon
    Kelly
    Ryan
    Reidy
    O Donnell
    G O Connell

I wouldn't be ruling out McGrath just yet the way Davy likes to play mind games but it hasn't sounded good for him all week anyway.
    I'd be worried about golden. Has never really impressed me. No doubting his work rate but just don't think he is good enough for this level.

I think McGrath will tog, he will probably have a late fitness test and likely be a standby sub.

I think Gudgie will find things hard, he has never played midfield underage, and is up against a top LK pairing. His role will have to be defined, but im not sure his hurling is at this level yet. He works very hard though. Hrad to know how Golden will go, has the hurling and atleticism but hasnt impressed yet with his oppertunities, except maybe for his cameo against KK last day.

That team was passed on.... not sure if 100% yet.... But with Davy, you can never be 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That team was passed on.... not sure if 100% yet.... But with Davy, you can never be 100%

From a source I have gudgy will play midfield and McGrath has no chance unfortunetly.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    be a long time before Cork win an All Ireland pal. If you're talking about titles from 2005, it's the same as me talking about 1959.

A correlation that has totally devaluation of point in if you think of waterford famine of fifty six years and counting cork ten with out all Ireland is in same bracket absolutely not
    It wouldn't tie it's shoe laces with respect
    A great great waterford team one all Ireland but cork won more since

No geuine hard core cork fans think we win all Ireland as you will find were pretty realistic honest bunch in forecast team chances one swallow never made a summer but it's understandable waterford starvation success leads them to jump on a win and get carried away
    I don't agree but I understand where yere coming from

Kelly
    O Donovan
    McInerney
    Dillon
    Browne
    Ryan
    Donnellan
    Golden
    O Connor
    Conlon
    Kelly
    Ryan
    Reidy
    O Donnell
    G O Connell
    A dummy of a team in he won't start them
    Davy never releases team so early a clear dummy of a team imo

Clare had all them lads last year and they did nothing- they had them during the league and they did nothing---- They're a good team, some fine players, but they are no where near a KK team of the last ten years and therefore are very beatable on any given day. Munster is very close this year - the loss of O'mahony is a big blow for Waterford, but there's still little between all five counties.

Nobody said they were greater than kk but I do belive their the best to challenge them
    They done nothing last year and were tired second season syndrome but won three all Irelands under twenty one and a senior there certainly team be reckoned with and by same token you want to evaluate clare then using it to model assement on limerick limerick have done nothing the last two years either bar here and there so clare certainly done more

Bar a munster title with extra man what exactly hsve limerick won??

Nobody said they were greater than kk but I do belive their the best to challenge them
    They done nothing last year and were tired second season syndrome but won three all Irelands under twenty one and a senior there certainly team be reckoned with and by same token you want to evaluate clare then using it to model assement on limerick limerick have done nothing the last two years either bar here and there so clare certainly done more

Bar a munster title with extra man what exactly hsve limerick won??

I never claimed Limerick did anything - and this is senior, u21 has no relevance. Limerick/Clare matches are always close, it was the sheer arrogance of dismissing Limerick 'if' Clare had a 'full' team that annoyed me. I still think it's a 50/50 game Sunday.

A dummy of a team in he won't start them
    Davy never releases team so early a clear dummy of a team imo

No team has been named by Clare, that's the leaked team.

Looks slightly stronger than was possibly expected, with Dillon & Ryan both starting in the backs, Golden named at midfield rather than the wing. Obviously McGrath is the big question mark, if he is named in the 26, I'd say he'll start.

Outside of that, who else would you have? That's very close to the team that most Clare people would be tipping. Maybe Nicky O'Connell or Conor Cleary at wing-back but Davy seems to like Browne and the word is that Gudgie is flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lads we won 4 u21 all irelands in 6 years if we cant find 3 or 4 replacements out of them teams well it was all for nothing , yes we would find it hard to replace galvin or podge , we knew mcgrath was'nt 100% through out the league, most of the fringe players have been living of scraps over the last two seasons in particular through out the league campaigns we did little to experment ,

the likelyhood is gudgey o'connell will start midfield the likes of bobby duggen totts or aarron cuningham will be drafted into the forward line , the possibility of senda morey starting in the half back line along with the likes of paul flanagan or connor cleary wouldn't be exactly chancing or arm in terms of selection either

now is the time fore those players to make the step up most of those players have rarely had bad games when called upon in the past just unlucky that the competition was so fierce for places they couldnt nail down starting places ,i know the tallent of podge , connor mcgrath and colm galvin are huge loss's, but i have to say on any other year with or without those players i would still have this team down as one of our strongest since the late 90's

a win in my opinion is not essential more so a deacent performance is required , we have an abysmal record in munster but we have taken to the quilifiers like a duck to water , if the winner on sunday was to lose to tipperary then both teams will find themselves in the first round of the qualifiers anyway against leinster oppisition , but there is no doubt who the pressure is on to perform come sunday , with no championship win since the all ireland final 2 years ago and only one competitive win in nearly 15 months along with a controversial manager on his 4th year and is starting to overstay his welcome all the pressure i think is on us , i honestly think a win agsainst limerick on sunday would have the same implications the win against waterford two years ago at the same stage which changed or fortunes for the rest of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare (SF v Limerick): Joe Hayes; Ciaran Russell, Kevin Hartnett, Martin McMahon; Shane Hickey, Gordon Kelly, Dean Ryan; Cathal O'Connor, Gary Brennan; Shane Brennan, Jamie Malone, Sean Collins; Eoin Cleary, Podge Collins, Pat Burke.

I wonder will Tubridy,McInerney make the bench for saturday evening?Shane McGrath is a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Clare (SF v Limerick): Joe Hayes; Ciaran Russell, Kevin Hartnett, Martin McMahon; Shane Hickey, Gordon Kelly, Dean Ryan; Cathal O'Connor, Gary Brennan; Shane Brennan, Jamie Malone, Sean Collins; Eoin Cleary, Podge Collins, Pat Burke.

I wonder will Tubridy,McInerney make the bench for saturday evening?Shane McGrath is a big loss.

shane mcgrath is a huge loss doubt tubridy or mcinerney will feture both saw very little action through out the league , expect to see davey o'holleran and rory donnelly ( came out of retirement after the league ) to feature at some stage both scored 0-3 points each against dublin in a challenge match last week

there was very much a heavy training aspect to the clare performance in newcastle west back in late march when the teams last met ,i would be still confident enough even though the selection looks a little defensive , think gary brennan was carrying an injury at different parts of the league too so could see keelan sexton in at some stage too strong enough bench how ever colm won'nt be on the sideline which could be a slight problem

lads we won 4 u21 all irelands in 6 years if we cant find 3 or 4 replacements out of them teams well it was all for nothing , yes we would find it hard to replace galvin or podge , we knew mcgrath was'nt 100% through out the league, most of the fringe players have been living of scraps over the last two seasons in particular through out the league campaigns we did little to experment ,

the likelyhood is gudgey o'connell will start midfield the likes of bobby duggen totts or aarron cuningham will be drafted into the forward line , the possibility of senda morey starting in the half back line along with the likes of paul flanagan or connor cleary wouldn't be exactly chancing or arm in terms of selection either

now is the time fore those players to make the step up most of those players have rarely had bad games when called upon in the past just unlucky that the competition was so fierce for places they couldnt nail down starting places ,i know the tallent of podge , connor mcgrath and colm galvin are huge loss's, but i have to say on any other year with or without those players i would still have this team down as one of our strongest since the late 90's

Is Morey not injured at the moment?

I forgot about Bobby Duggan, but in fairness... it's not really up front you're lacking- obviously McGrath & Collins would be very welcome but Conlon, Kelly & O'Donnell are nailed-on in any situation. Reidy's been excellent recently and a fine replacement. Colin Ryan would be the only one who perhaps shouldn't be nailed-on but he is an excellent free-taker; if Bobby Duggan replaced him, it might improve the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement