Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Pretty sure he didn't even make contact, it wasn't as if he led with the Hurley, stupid to get involved but bad form from the Clare player who started the shouldering and then dived to get a lad sent off, Conor Ryan 'celebrating' the red too...classy team in the mould of their manager...

Certainly looked like contact to me ( and to the referee who didn't hesitate with the red card).

And note there's a difference between shouldering, and striking with the hurley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The referee wasn't biased in favour of either team, but he had no control of the game and some of his decisions were baffling.

There were frees given for nothing while blatant fouls from both teams were ignored.

Sideline cuts and 65s were wrongly awarded and when the fight broke out at the end of the first half, the referee didn't even make any attempt to break it up. There should have been more than just one card given there

There are few things that destroy the fluidity of a game more than inconsistent refereeing.

That said, Clare didn't deserve to win yesterday. We had too many wides, the strategy was all wrong. Fitzy must take the blame for this. In the first 10 minute of the second half, we were playing long balls to the forwards from the puck out and almost scoring at will. When limerick went down to 14 men, they retreated back to 'the system' of short balls to the mid field with nobody playing on the wings or full forward line and we were getting crucified by long range frees from the inevitable fouling in an overcrowded midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Pretty sure he didn't even make contact, it wasn't as if he led with the Hurley, stupid to get involved but bad form from the Clare player who started the shouldering and then dived to get a lad sent off, Conor Ryan 'celebrating' the red too...classy team in the mould of their manager...
    I had a limerick lad sitting behind me roaring good boy Paddy Donnelan every time Limerick got a point in the second half, some class there alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Carazy wrote: »
    Did Donal O'Grady really need to be stretchered off yesterday?

BandageGate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Dien wrote: »
    The Clare hurlers have been my "second team" for a good while now, but the two most sickening incidents I've seen in hurling this year have come from the same Clare player..There is a s**t storm being kicked up in the football counties at the moment regarding mouthing off to an opponent, and rightly so after some of the things that are said, but in the hurling world we tend to ignore some glaring problems. Hitting the deck like a bag of s***e to get a man sent off is common place in some other sports but it's creeping in to our beloved game. Pat O Conner is a fine hurler but he is letting himself, Clare and hurling itself down by feigning a belt. He's not the only one but after today he's the most consistent one. What would Lohan, Seanie, Lynch etc think of it?

I'd love to know what the Clare supporters think of his antics. Are the old values of hurling going to be lost (hurl hard, hurl fair and may the best team win), or are we going to go the way of soccer where a game loses it's soul and it's all about the dramatics?
    Ya you have a fair point it was a soft one to go down for. I agree with the sole purpose of hoping the ref would even the score on reds. Which was set-up by Donal O Grady feigning injury, a bandage on the top of his head when he got hit in the chin. And not hard either. But that aside I'm sick of it looking like we are whinging about free's and ref's.

Yes the ref was all over the shop and had a poor game, but what really got me was the line ball was clearly kicked out by the Limerick man, but they got the sideline and got the winning score from it.

Are Clare an overly dirty team, no, do the foul persistently, I think so. But a few things have to looked at for games of these magnitude.

The first real game of the summer championship should not be reffed by a novice.
    Hawkeye needs to be everywhere or no where, it is not good enough that it is not in the big grounds, surely Thurles is considered the second best stadium in the country.

Clare have now got a reputation for fouling and the need to shake it fast or there will be no more bonfires.

Akrasia wrote: »
    The referee wasn't biased in favour of either team, but he had no control of the game and some of his decisions were baffling.

There were frees given for nothing while blatant fouls from both teams were ignored.

Sideline cuts and 65s were wrongly awarded and when the fight broke out at the end of the first half, the referee didn't even make any attempt to break it up. There should have been more than just one card given there

There are few things that destroy the fluidity of a game more than inconsistent refereeing.

That said, Clare didn't deserve to win yesterday. We had too many wides, the strategy was all wrong. Fitzy must take the blame for this. In the first 10 minute of the second half, we were playing long balls to the forwards from the puck out and almost scoring at will. When limerick went down to 14 men, they retreated back to 'the system' of short balls to the mid field with nobody playing on the wings or full forward line and we were getting crucified by long range frees from the inevitable fouling in an overcrowded midfield

Ya have to agree with you on nearly everything there. The was way too green for a game like that, everything he did down to runners instead of boots was odd :) But seriously he was a ll over the place, strange free's for nothing others let go, there was no flow to the game and it eventually spilled over into frustration with the row. He actually blew for half time, which couldn't have been a worse call, forcing em down the tunnel together while rowing. He ruined the game with his constant whistle blowing there was no flow. If this is how hurling is to be reffed i worry for the game.

Davy's biggest mistake was allowing Domhall O Donovan on the pitch for so long when he clearly could not live with Cian Lynch, he was too slow and could not handle him, Lynch was Limerick out ball all game. He could have been shut down with a simple sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Fairly embarassing for DO'G to be tapped on the chin (red card i agree with) but for them then to put a bandage on his head that wasnt even bleeding? This feigning of injuries has been creeping in for a while but bandaging up false injuries is a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Before having a go at Pat O'Connor, first let me drive the butt of my hurley into your rib cage, and then we can continue the discussion

Has happened me plenty of times, and miraculously I'm still alive! Will you also defend him going to ground and holding his face against Tipp when Callanan made no contact with him at all? It's a problem that is creeping into hurling that has the potential to destroy the game. That may sound OTT, but the physical side of hurling is every bit as important as the skills on show, it's the combination of the two that gives us the best sport on earth. Do we want a game where players are afraid to make contact with the opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Connorzee wrote: »
    Fairly embarassing for DO'G to be tapped on the chin (red card i agree with) but for them then to put a bandage on his head that wasnt even bleeding? This feigning of injuries has been creeping in for a while but bandaging up false injuries is a new one...
    Are you saying that the paramedics on duty were in on some conspiracy by Limerick to feign injury even though the Clare player was already sent off before the bandage was applied? Anyway the linesman had a good view of the incident and Donnellan was going to be sent off even if O Grady stayed standing which would have been difficult after an uppercut under the chin.
    There was a cut, there was bleeding but it was not major and was sorted at half time in the dressing room.
    Clare have been let down by indiscipline in their last 3 championship games so the camp have enough embarrassment from their own without pointing fingers across the river.

Dien wrote: »
    Has happened me plenty of times, and miraculously I'm still alive! Will you also defend him going to ground and holding his face against Tipp when Callanan made no contact with him at all? It's a problem that is creeping into hurling that has the potential to destroy the game. That may sound OTT, but the physical side of hurling is every bit as important as the skills on show, it's the combination of the two that gives us the best sport on earth. Do we want a game where players are afraid to make contact with the opposition?

Well POC is still alive too. But at the time he felt it.

Are you referring to the league game when Callanan hit him in the face ?

Listen, I'm not trying to defend diving, or your Aidan O'Mahony types pretending to be hit when not even touched.

But when a lad genuinely takes a heavy blow, they feel it.

Hurling is a physical game with lots of contact, but some contact is legal, some isn't.

POC took a clothesline early on as well from Lynch. However there was no red card as Lynch was just over vigorous in contesting the ball. A clear foul, but just one of those things that happens in a physical sport.

• Advertisement

From a Clare point of view it's irrelevant, it was a clear red card offence.

What the hell was Donnellan thinking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd be thinking that when the helmet was pushed up that it did the damage to the top of the head, not that hard to happen considering most players would be wearing modified Cooper helmets and wouldn't be fitting right.

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Are you saying that the paramedics on duty were in on some conspiracy by Limerick to feign injury even though the Clare player was already sent off before the bandage was applied? Anyway the linesman had a good view of the incident and Donnellan was going to be sent off even if O Grady stayed standing which would have been difficult after an uppercut under the chin.
    There was a cut, there was bleeding but it was not major and was sorted at half time in the dressing room.
    Clare have been let down by indiscipline in their last 3 championship games so the camp have enough embarrassment from their own without pointing fingers across the river.

Nah not having that. He went down like a sack of spuds it was embarassing, without a doubt he was hit in the face. Not the top of the head, he looked like Christy Ring with the bandage, one of the oldest tricks in the book. Put the bandage on make it look like he's kilt! :)

POC went down looking to get Tobin send off, no doubt in my mind. But as someone said earlier, Lynch planted POC in the first 2mins and ref just gave a free out.

The fact is hurling is a contact sport, people get hit and people get hurt, the best hurling matches are the ones let to flow. 5mins of mayhem and it then is about the skill. Hurling is not a cynical as football and if we start letting diving into it we are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

billo.d86 wrote: »
    Nah not having that. He went down like a sack of spuds it was embarassing, without a doubt he was hit in the face. Not the top of the head, he looked like Christy Ring with the bandage, one of the oldest tricks in the book. Put the bandage on make it look like he's kilt! :)

POC went down looking to get Tobin send off, no doubt in my mind. But as someone said earlier, Lynch planted POC in the first 2mins and ref just gave a free out.

The fact is hurling is a contact sport, people get hit and people get hurt, the best hurling matches are the ones let to flow. 5mins of mayhem and it then is about the skill. Hurling is not a cynical as football and if we start letting diving into it we are in trouble.

The player was already sent off before the bandage went on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Vanolder wrote: »

Absolutely he had to go it' was a dangerous tackle and anything to the face or head has to get red as it must be stamped out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Did you conduct the medical examination yourself to ascertain that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone know how is Tony Kelly after hobbling off yesterday? Lets hope its nothing serious

marco_polo wrote: »
    It was a point as the Sunday game showed, but 100% agree that umpire had no idea. The amount of them that don't have the cop on to stand in the optimal position to judge the flight of a ball is absolutely mind boggling. You can move from right beside the post if needs be lads.

Though ref not great overall but not in favour of any team really, I though one or two very soft frees in the first half for Limerick were balanced out by one or two blatent fouls in scorable positions by us in the second half that we got away with.

Mulcahy even admitted that it was wide after the game so i dont what the hell you were looking at

We need to stop playing the sweeper system all the time, we are good enough to let go

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »

I'm not saying the bandage got him sent off Donnellan deserved to go it was wild and reckless swinging like he did. I'm saying going down like a sack of spuds like DO'G did when he wasn't hit as bad as he made out, he was feigning injury IMO. There was contact but it wasn't as bad as was made out.

It was the limerick medical staff who the bandages on, not the paramedics. St.Johns ambulance come on to the field when asked by the teams medical staff.

Absolutely he had to go it' was a dangerous tackle and anything to the face or head has to get red as it must be stamped out

And do you think that Cian Lynch should have been set off in the first 2 mins for hitting POC in the face?

The ref didnt think so and booked him.

On another note why is hawkeye not in Thurles?

It is nearly and integral part of the game now.

Umpires need to be fazed out, and possibly 2 refs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I'm not saying the bandage got him sent off Donnellan deserved to go it was wild and reckless swinging like he did. I'm saying going down like a sack of spuds like DO'G did when he wasn't hit as bad as he made out, he was feigning injury IMO. There was contact but it wasn't as bad as was made out.

It was the limerick medical staff who the bandages on, not the paramedics. St.Johns ambulance come on to the field when asked by the teams medical staff.

How do you know he didn't have a cut?

elastico wrote: »

Through the magic of sight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

elastico wrote: »

He looked alright after the game when he was interviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I have enough of Davy and his **** after matches chasing refs. He is turning the country against us. With the talent he has to his disposal and he can't even beat a very average Limerick side is he out of his dept.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

And do you think that Cian Lynch should have been set off in the first 2 mins for hitting POC in the face?

The ref didnt think so and booked him.

On another note why is hawkeye not in Thurles?

It is nearly and integral part of the game now.

Umpires need to be fazed out, and possibly 2 refs.

Hawkeye has been installed in Thurles and yesterday was originally targeted as its first game but they seem to have hit a few calibration issues or something like that causing a delay. Should be up and running for later games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Davey Fitz going on that everyone had written Clare off before the game.

Who is everyone here? I thought that it was rated to be a very much 50 50 game. The bould Davey would have spouted the same cr@p win, lose or draw.

Wonder were the two results a bit bitter sweet for Davy O'Halloran? Wins with the footballers while the hurlers lose a tight game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

dixiefly wrote: »

Who is everyone here? I thought that it was rated to be a very much 50 50 game. The bould Davey would have spouted the same cr@p win, lose or draw.

Wonder were the two results a bit bitter sweet for Davy O'Halloran? Wins with the footballers while the hurlers lose a tight game.

And they were beaten as well so the comment from him doesn't even make sense.

Football win well if that makes halloran think he's got redemption fair enough but clsre footballers won't win even munster yet hurlers lot more potential
    O connell coming back and all other players backing Davy doesn't look too good on halloran be honest

Football win well if that makes halloran think he's got redemption fair enough but clsre footballers won't win even munster yet hurlers lot more potential
    O connell coming back and all other players backing Davy doesn't look too good on halloran be honest

They won't win Munster hurling either so I suppose much of a muchness.

• Advertisement

And they were beaten as well so the comment from him doesn't even make sense.

Clare 0-15 - 0-13 Limerick

They won't win Munster hurling either so I suppose much of a muchness.

You surely see the point he's no hope with football and they know that themselves hurling is different

All the other players backing Davy? Did they or were they given an ultimatum to agree to the statement or walk?

Anyway, I find it hard not to believe the following. You could say water under the bridge but it is relevant considering the fact that it was another loss at the wekend.

On Friday it was revealed that following a disciplinary issue involving a small number of the Clare panel both Davy O’Halloran and Nicky O’Connell had left the squad. It’s now been revealed that the duo refused to fulfil their three weeks of punishment which they say isolated them from and humiliated them in front of their team-mates. They did so when they realised that a senior member of the squad was exempt from similar sanctions despite what they considered a more serious breach. This was not confirmed by the Clare management team.
    Davy O’Halloran says that he was not allowed access to the team changing rooms, forced to tog out separately, he was prevented from wearing the panel’s gear to training, he was unable to be involved in matches or travel to them, no dialogue was allowed with other team mates at sessions and he was made to train alone in a corner of the pitch doing intensive physical work.

You surely see the point he's no hope with football and they know that themselves hurling is different

Tell that to Podge and Cathal Mac too. Surely a more telling sign that theyd go play a sport where they don't have many realistic chances of silverware than play for him though I know to be fair with Podge his father is in charge.

In regards of our chances of winning the All-Ireland, yesterday was no disaster at all imo. Think that regards winning in Sept it actually helps us. We can now get players back and start getting the our best players on the pitch.

Problem is Davy at this stage. He doesnt seem to have the faith in the players to go out man to man and win. He is dedicated to the sweeper system and by playing defensively. We have the most attack orientated squad in Ireland and i feel he is selling them short by handing the initiative to our opponents by taking away one of our attackers. The sweeper is a great tactic but not in every single match. It is too predictable to play against.

Another thing is his histrionics which is obviously feeding through to the players. He needs to came the fcuk down as we are getting crucified by officials some legit others not. Either way we need to clamp down on the free count as these are giveaway scores given the quality of free-takers. Red cards must be stamped out.

We have the most talented bunch of players in Ireland, they need to be able to express themselves and trusted. We need guidance not a feeling of injustice after every match. Go on the Banner

All the other players backing Davy? Did they or were they given an ultimatum to agree to the statement or walk?

Anyway, I find it hard not to believe the following. You could say water under the bridge but it is relevant considering the fact that it was another loss at the wekend.

On Friday it was revealed that following a disciplinary issue involving a small number of the Clare panel both Davy O’Halloran and Nicky O’Connell had left the squad. It’s now been revealed that the duo refused to fulfil their three weeks of punishment which they say isolated them from and humiliated them in front of their team-mates. They did so when they realised that a senior member of the squad was exempt from similar sanctions despite what they considered a more serious breach. This was not confirmed by the Clare management team.
    Davy O’Halloran says that he was not allowed access to the team changing rooms, forced to tog out separately, he was prevented from wearing the panel’s gear to training, he was unable to be involved in matches or travel to them, no dialogue was allowed with other team mates at sessions and he was made to train alone in a corner of the pitch doing intensive physical work.

All you have posted really is story from when it ist broke out
    To answer were the players forced to sign statement no no no no absolutely not and Liam sheedy Said it Saturday
    Colm galvin Shane o donnell Colin Ryan all have said Davy was fair they accept the rules and nick o connell came back and apologies and then Davy played him Sunday

All your doing is with many posters have done regards the story from day one in belive one voice and seem say oh players are just agreeing for the sake of it When these boys are adults and if they didn't like what was going on would say it
    People suggesting players are just agreeing for the sake of it is imo saying their weak characters but there not imo
    Jamsie o Connor and of course louganne and daly backed him
    I always ask the same question regards the two boys leaving what evidence bar one player is there things were very strict under Davy now I don't mean what so and so claims to know or hear I'm on bout real evidence made to the public and it's none
    Davy halloran may had some points but no one else backed him and Nicky done a u turn so one man doesn't prove anything and innocent until proven guilty imo
    Give me one other player who backs halloran or indeed others and you will find so far none exists
    If others backed halloran I'd belive him but they haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishleeds

Has there been any word on Tony Kelly's injury. I was a bit away from it but it looked like his knee to me. But talking to others they reckoned it was cramp. Does anyone know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

irishleeds wrote: »
    Has there been any word on Tony Kelly's injury. I was a bit away from it but it looked like his knee to me. But talking to others they reckoned it was cramp. Does anyone know?

Ankle ligaments by the look of things, was going for an MRI yesterday, haven't heard any results yet.

I tried writing about the match yesterday but I was too annoyed so I figured I'd watch it again last night, I was even more annoyed afterwards so I figured I'd wait until this morning.

I'll start with the officials, I thought they were extremely poor for both sides, a couple of clear decisions were just wrong (side line and 65) and there was needless confusion for the free in the second half, the "goal" umpire on the Clare goal in the second half had a shocker. I thought our sending off was a clear sending off, he hit him twice ffs, and anyone that questions yerman for going down, HE WAS HIT TWICE, I would say the helmet cut the top of his head but they were able to stitch it in the dressing room. The Limerick sending off was (strangely) the winning of the game for Limerick, I'll get to that later, but it wasn't a sending off, if that was a sending off then Cian Lynch should have been sent off after a minute, Browne also should have been booked twice. I have no idea how in a half with so many subs, a delay for a sub coming on and a sending off the officials could decide on just 1 minute extra time

I thought Limerick played a very smart game, they reacted to anything that was happening in front of them, always had a spare man and ran at the Clare backs which forced them to foul. If I could be a bit negative about them, I thought Dowling's free taking was a bit hit and miss, he missed 3 very scorable frees, if (I know if ands or buts) he had gotten those Limerick would have been a lot more comfortable at the end. Limerick's defenders were very disciplined and didn't get caught ball watching and followed their man.

Onto Clare, I thought Kelly did well in goals, because of the way Clare were playing he was pucking the ball into areas rather than to players, for the goal I think his defender could have done better, the back should never go into the square. Full back line, I thought O'Donovan was poor, David Mc was good, besides the goal I don't think the Clare goal was ever really in threat, but they did concede a goal and the soft frees being conceded out the field negated the chances for goals.
    Half back line was extremely congested, intentionally so, there were a lot of soft frees conceded. Midfield was dominated by Limerick and I don't think Donnellan was playing well before he was sent off. The forwards were struggling with being outnumbered, I thought Colin Ryan played very well and was out man of the match, I thought Conlon did well as well. Tony Kelly tried hard but was double marked for most of the game. I thought Golden, Reidy and O'Connor were poor.

The subs, oooh, the subs, Cunningham showed what a class act he is, how is wasn't started I don't know, the guy is class, O'Donovan wasn't having a good day at the office, how he was left of until 15 minutes left when Morey would have been the ideal player to mark Lynch I don't know. Honan coming on with a couple of minutes to go, I don't know what the purpose for that was, Nicky for Kelly was injury forced. Finally Bobby Duggan, let me say that I think that Bobby Duggan is a class act and has amazing potential, but he had a nightmare on Sunday, could be said that you can't allow for that, but in recent Clare Cup games he has been poor as well.

The Clare tactics. It's clear to me that our management feel the need to try something new every game, the whole "line up the middle and scatter" nullified the fact that our forwards are all great skilful hurlers and thrive in a 1 on 1 situation, having them all tight together allowed Limerick's faster backs go for the ball while the others covered. Shane O'Donnell was clearly playing under instructions not to go for his own score, I don't think he looked at the goals for the whole first half. When we were a man down we went to a man marking setup with a 2 man full forward line, this was probably out best period of the game, when we went back to 14 on 14 we went back to a sweeper setup, this was ridiculous, we didn't need to adjust anything, let Limerick adjust their game.

The Clare management, if the referee has to come over to warn you about your behaviour you are going too far, I could give the benefit of the doubt if it's an isolated incident, but questioning every decision that's being made (or not made) while chasing the ref down the corridor at half time is not going to endear you to the ref, the ref is a neutral and is there to enforce the rules, but he's also a human, p1ssing him off is not the way to get decisions your way.
    I thought the substitutions were very strange, half time when you're turning around to play with the wind and are after losing a mid-fielder is surely the time to bring on a sub. A few positions we were clearly struggling, especially with O'Donovan, leaving him on for nearly an hour was an oversight. Bobby Duggan, it just didn't go for him, hopefully he'll come back stronger in the next game. As I said Nickey O'Connell for Tony Kelly was injury forced, but I would have thought the game was perfect for Nicky to come on earlier around the half forward line to mop up lose ball or to contest the puck outs.

The Clare discipline, again we play a match and get a player sent off softly, I have no problem with fellas getting themselves sent off, these things happen in every sport, but don't do it stupidly, Donnellan is the captain and should be leading by example, he struck twice, once you could say was spur of the moment or whatever, but to go back for seconds just shows a complete lack of discipline. Our last 4 sending offs were all soft, Podge for grabbing the face mask, Browne for constant fouling, Bugler for a dig and Donnellan for a strike, add in Bugler's attempted kick against Dublin and you have 5 pointless, costly sending offs that should have been avoided. If all the stuff in the papers in the past few months have shown anything it's that discipline is important to the management team, surely these sending offs are as bad as being out on a Friday night in February, I wonder if the players involved with get any kind of punishment?

Finally, the Clare manager, the interview after the game was all "I" & "My" and he seemed intent on being confrontational, the whole "I won't be drawn" thing, you weren't being drawn, his whole body language of looking down and rocking himself was extremely odd, if he conducted himself like that in a business meeting he wouldn't be long told where to go, conducting yourself like that in front of the national media when you're representing your county is a disgrace in my opinion, once more he is trying to make the whole thing about himself and how everyone is out to get him. He also seemed intent to make it clear that he's not going anywhere, considering his father was there in the middle of everything I don't think he will be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Clareman wrote: »

The Clare tactics. It's clear to me that our management feel the need to try something new every game, the whole "line up the middle and scatter" nullified the fact that our forwards are all great skilful hurlers and thrive in a 1 on 1 situation, having them all tight together allowed Limerick's faster backs go for the ball while the others covered. Shane O'Donnell was clearly playing under instructions not to go for his own score, I don't think he looked at the goals for the whole first half. When we were a man down we went to a man marking setup with a 2 man full forward line, this was probably out best period of the game, when we went back to 14 on 14 we went back to a sweeper setup, this was ridiculous, we didn't need to adjust anything, let Limerick adjust their game.

Actually thought that also. For all the ball he showed for and won, I don't think he tried too often to get inside his man or take him on fully. Bit disappointing in that regard, albeit it was his first start since replay '13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Clareman well said, I agree with absolutely everything you said. It must be so frustrating for ye. I'm dreading the day ye get the u21 managers in charge. But with Davy's father to protect him, I can't see it happening anytime soon. Thank god :P

MfMan wrote: »
    Actually thought that also. For all the ball he showed for and won, I don't think he tried too often to get inside his man or take him on fully. Bit disappointing in that regard, albeit it was his first start since replay '13.

Do you really think Davy would tell his full-forward to not go for his own score, or not to look at the posts?

The attack didn't function all that badly, an improvement from the league - Reidy, O'Donnell, Kelly, Ryan and Conlon all scoring from play, as well as Cunningham off the bench..

Do you really think Davy would tell his full-forward to not go for his own score, or not to look at the posts?

Because of the success of the whole Kelly/O'Donnell thing against Kilkenny I wouldn't have been surprised if he wasn't told to pass the ball once he had attracted a couple of defenders, in the first half there was 1 passage of play where he could have taken his point a couple of times but kept on trying to pick out a man.

Critical and all as Ive been of Davy, I think O Donnell should be encouraged to try and find someone running towards goal if he's winning possession. Did to great effect for Cunningham's goal. A player attacking the goal is in a better position to score anyway. This would be much better realized, however, with a 3 man full forward line and with Cunningham starting and obviously McGrath coming back.

I have no doubt those 3 in full would give ye the best full forward line in the Country.

Full forward line of Cunningham, Honan & O'Donnell with a half forward line of Conlon, Kelly & Ryan would give any team problems, no need for anything fancy or smart, just let them play, you've McGrath to come on as a sub them to shake things up a bit.

2 years ago we started the sweeper cause we were leaking goals and something had to be done, we've a decent enough full back line now, I really can't see the need to try to be smart, just let them out to play the game that they can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Full forward line of Cunningham, Honan & O'Donnell with a half forward line of Conlon, Kelly & Ryan would give any team problems, no need for anything fancy or smart, just let them play, you've McGrath to come on as a sub them to shake things up a bit.

2 years ago we started the sweeper cause we were leaking goals and something had to be done, we've a decent enough full back line now, I really can't see the need to try to be smart, just let them out to play the game that they can play.

I'm sorry, but Conor McGrath starts every time. We'd take your hand off to have him in Limerick. After Kelly, he's your best forward. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry, but Conor McGrath starts every time. We'd take your hand off to have him in Limerick. After Kelly, he's your best forward. Just my opinion.

Normally I'd agree, in fact I'd nearly go as far as to put him starting before O'Donnell, I'm getting frustrated here just thinking of the gifted players were are so lucky to have only to have the skill being removed from them, we don't have to do any kind of weird tactics or selections. Have a target full forward like Honan, he's a handful for any full back and will make sure that there's space in front of him, have the rest of the forwards in roaming roles looking for the ball/space, puck outs just have to be down on top of Conlon or Ryan to break to allow the other contest for the breaking ball. If Honan is having 1 of his off days just taking him off and replace him with 1 of the lads you've left off and have 6 roaming forwards.

2 years ago our backs were dodgier than a dodgy thing on dodgy day, this was mainly cause they were inexperienced at senior level, now they've 2 more years, we don't have to sacrifice a forward to play a sweeper, with the forwards we have the opposition would need to lose a play a sweeper to stop us flooding forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Normally I'd agree, in fact I'd nearly go as far as to put him starting before O'Donnell, I'm getting frustrated here just thinking of the gifted players were are so lucky to have only to have the skill being removed from them, we don't have to do any kind of weird tactics or selections. Have a target full forward like Honan, he's a handful for any full back and will make sure that there's space in front of him, have the rest of the forwards in roaming roles looking for the ball/space, puck outs just have to be down on top of Conlon or Ryan to break to allow the other contest for the breaking ball. If Honan is having 1 of his off days just taking him off and replace him with 1 of the lads you've left off and have 6 roaming forwards.

2 years ago our backs were dodgier than a dodgy thing on dodgy day, this was mainly cause they were inexperienced at senior level, now they've 2 more years, we don't have to sacrifice a forward to play a sweeper, with the forwards we have the opposition would need to lose a play a sweeper to stop us flooding forward.

It's really an embarrassment of riches that ye have at the moment in fairness. It's frightening in fact. If you could pull it together and have a more normal game plan, the sky would truly be the limit.

It's really an embarrassment of riches that ye have at the moment in fairness. It's frightening in fact. If you could pull it together and have a more normal game plan, the sky would truly be the limit.

Don't forget that all these riches are without players that aren't available for different reasons, some of which are the management's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Watching the game again today, O'Donnell was the best Clare player on the pitch. Not many forwards can make Paul Murphy (x2) & Richie McCarthy look like mugs. He'd be my first name on the Clare team sheet.
    I think he should have run at McCarthy more yesterday. The few times he did he had him at 6s & 7s. I was surprised that McCarthy was left on him for the entire game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement