Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Maybe this is for another thread but would ye rate our full forward line as better then tipps / kks ?

Not if ye only leave one man inside there :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Maybe this is for another thread but would ye rate our full forward line as better then tipps / kks ?

I would put our full forward line as POTENTIALLY the best ever, mainly down to the options you can have as well as the fact that there are 4 brilliant ball winners there.

I say the Clare full forward line is a mix between Honan, Cunningham, SoD and McGrath.
    • Honan FF with SoD playing off him
    • 2 Man full forward line
    • 1 Man full forward line
    • SoD Full Forward with McGrath & Cunningham playing off him
    • Cunningham Full Forward with McGrath & SoD playing off him
    • Honan full forward with 2 playing off him

All 4 players are proven goal scores, 3 of them are proven ball winners and they have have unreal speed, I don't think any full back line would look forward to marking them, it's an awful pity that we consistently stifle them by only going for the 2 man option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Best ever Clare full forward line or best of all time? Pretty bold statement if the latter. Honan hasn't delivered on his underage promise yet. McGrath is top class and O Donnell looks it but he hasn't marked a Cat in championship yet. Cunningham good too but equally it'll take more than 2 goals v Limerick to have his name in the history books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Best ever Clare full forward line or best of all time? Pretty bold statement if the latter. Honan hasn't delivered on his underage promise yet. McGrath is top class and O Donnell looks it but he hasn't marked a Cat in championship yet. Cunningham good too but equally it'll take more than 2 goals v Limerick to have his name in the history books.

There's a reason I had potentially in caps, O'Donnell is still under 21, Cunningham is 1 year out of under 21, McGrath is 24 and Honan is 25, 3 of them have scored goals in All Ireland finals.

Clare have never been blessed with forwards, even going back to the 90s I don't know if anyone would replace any of the new guys but they haven't proven it consistently as a unit yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Clareman wrote: »
    There's a reason I had potentially in caps, O'Donnell is still under 21, Cunningham is 1 year out of under 21, McGrath is 24 and Honan is 25, 3 of them have scored goals in All Ireland finals.

Clare have never been blessed with forwards, even going back to the 90s I don't know if anyone would replace any of the new guys but they haven't proven it consistently as a unit yet.

An all Ireland final against a decent Cork side but nothing special. The jury has to be out on Honan big time. 25 is not young anymore and he has had more bad days than good. What game has he played at Senior level where he's been excellent? McGrath is superb no doubt and O Donnell has looked the part this year in fairness but look at the full forward line Kilkenny have had in the last 10 years. Cork have had some top class forward lines since the 1940s. Tipp no doubt too. Even Waterford have had the likes of Mullane, Dan, Flynn and Kelly in the full forward line.

I know you said potentially but still that's a pretty bold statement all the same. They are very good though, though as I said unconvinced about Honan until he goes out and takes a big game by the scruff of the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I think cork will be stronger than the ist two championship games with Harnedy back and Ellis fit and o Neill now back but lorchan is out still

Cork will play Ellis deeper but the reason I never wanted clare is were stuck between rock and hard place in Ellis sweeping covers the full back line but clare are like kk tippeary only teams with forwards that can drag defender out and score long distance so Cork have protect the full back line but unlike other teams we can't say don't follow them out and let them take points in clare will score any where inside their half just past half way

Murphy on kelly seems inevitable but imo Murphy yard slower and kelly is hugely different player two years ago

Honan conlon Cunningham will cause Cork problems full back if mcdommell is in there or o neill

Cork forwards midfield will start same last day likely
    Defence is the problem
    Nash
    O Neill
    Cahalane
    Murphy
    Walsh
    Ellis
    Murphy

Defence will be sweeper with Ellis ahead cahalane with lswton dropping centre back

Lawton kearney
    Lawton drops deep cooper at midfield
    Cooper Cronin lehane
    Harnedy horgan cadogan
    Horgan roaming but he'll have work he's socks off seventy minutes not just half

That be my team
    Team named tomorrow apparently

Who you play Clare when team named

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I ment the current set up against the current tipp/kk full forward lines

I ment the current set up against the current tipp/kk full forward lines

I'd compare with kk as kk are the greatest and perform confidently consistently in big big games like the great great i mean really really great players do

How many clare lads forwards walks on kk team
    So pick both teams I'd have

Kelly would as he's work rate attuide is there
    Reid would flank him on the wing
    Conlon possibly half forward line but fennly hard displace

O Donnell would as he's work rate and movement is very good
    Power
    Alwsrd and McGrath would be in contention for a corner-forward spot but even though he's huge mileage larkin is outstanding and reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Kelly is arguably the best player in the country and would get on any team.

Regards the full forward line they have a lot to prove and have to do it consistently. Honan has never done it at senior level. McGrath is lethal though and SOD is more a lay it off man to oncoming forwards. They have a lot to learn but they have to perform on Sat as this is a tough match. Whoever wins on Sat will give any team a game as the game will give whoever wins it supreme confidence for the rest of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I've never been convinced by Honan at senior level. I have suggested this in another thread, but how about John Conlon at full forward? We don't have the height and physical presence of a Horgan/Callanan/Canning in the full forward line instead relying more on speed. Conlon is a big lad, good ball winner, and well able to get around too. I'd much rather have him on the edge of the square under the high ball than Honan or O'Donnell if we're in need of a goal. This weekend is hardly the time to go experimenting with personnel however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I've never been convinced by Honan at senior level. I have suggested this in another thread, but how about John Conlon at full forward? We don't have the height and physical presence of a Horgan/Callanan/Canning in the full forward line instead relying more on speed. Conlon is a big lad, good ball winner, and well able to get around too. I'd much rather have him on the edge of the square under the high ball than Honan or O'Donnell if we're in need of a goal. This weekend is hardly the time to go experimenting with personnel however.

Yeah always would love to see Conlon in a full forward. I think unfortunaley for John, he gets the short staw on this team as he is one of only 2 proper ball winners on this squad, so he has to play on the wing. He sometimes doesnt get the credit for what a talented player he really is because all the ball he gets is high and long where he has to slug it out with 2 or 3 oppenents around him, and he still usuaslly get 2 scores for us. I think its not his or Davys fault its just a well known shortcoming in the squad.
    Once, in Davys 3 year tenure did we actaully play through John, he played full forward and got good quality ball into space. It was Wexford last year and he hit 2-4 from play..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah always would love to see Conlon in a full forward. I think unfortunaley for John, he gets the short staw on this team as he is one of only 2 proper ball winners on this squad, so he has to play on the wing. He sometimes doesnt get the credit for what a talented player he really is because all the ball he gets is high and long where he has to slug it out with 2 or 3 oppenents around him, and he still usuaslly get 2 scores for us. I think its not his or Davys fault its just a well known shortcoming in the squad.
    Once, in Davys 3 year tenure did we actaully play through John, he played full forward and got good quality ball into space. It was Wexford last year and he hit 2-4 from play..

Very true. It's good to have the option. If you are playing with a gale, against a sweeper, then a full forward with a good paw is useful. O'Donnell is different as is Honan. Different is good!
    Conlon does tend to get blocked down on his left side when coming in from the right.

I don't think Conlon is an option in the full forward line mainly because we don't have enough ball winners as it is, you can't lose 1 by having in close to goal, himself and Colin Ryan were pivotal in 2013 for their work under puck outs.

I think all 4 of the other lads are genuine goal threats, yes they aren't all proven and there is still more to do, but they have great potential, which is what all of Clare have at the moment, potential, I don't think you can compare Clare and Kilkenny as Kilkenny are on a complete different level to every other team and have proven themselves, if you want to compare I would say compare to any other team.

Some tough selections to be made for Saturday evening most notably at half back/midfield. Conor Ryan and Poc are the only real certainties. Golden is highly likely start aswell. If Galvin plays, that leaves Browne, Bugs and Donnellan for the last wing back spot. Thats not very straight forward in my view. There is no doubt Browne has played the best out of the 3 but the other two are former allstars and our most experienced players (we would have an u26 out field team without them). Im a fan of Browne, he has shut down his markers very well at wb, but I think maybe he is not a long term solution. He doesnt really have any phyiscality or aerial ability nor is he that quick. It will be interesting anyway but if Donnellan or Buglar do start, they really need to buck up and start finding form.
    It could be that with with Corks more defensive set up now that someone extra could be accomodated at the back, but that would probably mean dropping someone like Honan/Golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

letowski wrote: »
    that leaves Browne, Bugs and Donnellan for the last wing back spot. Thats not very straight forward in my view.

Not Donnellan please

I think it has to be Bugler, he did alright last week and he's a good ball winner.

I was talking to a friend of mine from Cork and he made an interesting point, Cork's weakest line is the full back line whereas Clare's strongest is their full forward line, Cork will pretty much have to bring back a sweeper unless Clare do first as a 2 man full forward line would give Cork a spare man to make it easier for them to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I think it has to be Bugler, he did alright last week and he's a good ball winner.

I was talking to a friend of mine from Cork and he made an interesting point, Cork's weakest line is the full back line whereas Clare's strongest is their full forward line, Cork will pretty much have to bring back a sweeper unless Clare do first as a 2 man full forward line would give Cork a spare man to make it easier for them to cover.

cork will most likeley try to flood the midle 3rd area to congest the area for kelly conlon and galvin to stop the supply of ball into them , i would feel confidant with our own defence if you had patrick o'connor marking lehane and maybe david mac on harnedy , i wouldnt be too much in favor of patch playing the sweeper roll like he has done against both limerick and offaly , if we do have to use one which we probably will it will probably be donnellon , who is in fairness the best man for that job but not if you have to play 15 v 15 at some stage of the game
    my guess is seneda morey will be sweeper he would be far more suited to the position then anyone else , that could leave jack browne corner back again on caodigan . . . . . .:eek: , although he is far better this year then he was last year and has sorted out the discipline i think

Yeah I agree, we can get at this Cork full backline. Its really important now Davy has the team set out right. With players like Morey, Dmac, Patch, Galvin, Colin Ryan we have good sticksmen that can get good ball in. I dont think Davy should go back to his short running game as its likely the midfield is going to be quite congested.
    I think its set up for a exciting game, Cork will feel they can hit a good score on us too.

When is the team being named

When is the team being named

Usually 10.30 the night before. It will be the same team again Id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Looking at this article/clips
    http://www.the42.ie/tipperary-waterford-munster-hurling-final-2202712-Jul2015/
    [last clip]
    Bonner has visited Doolin for his video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

is this game showing on any of the channels tomm?

zweton wrote: »
    is this game showing on any of the channels tomm?

Sky Sports, I was surprised there wasn't more of an "evil foreign channels" spiel made of it, but besides the County Board Chairman making a comment there's nothing being said really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sky Sports, I was surprised there wasn't more of an "evil foreign channels" spiel made of it, but besides the County Board Chairman making a comment there's nothing being said really.

In fairness the county board chairman was quite annoyed about it, more than just a comment
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaHVu9S1hk

Clare team for this evening

1) Patrick Kelly (Inagh-Kilnamona)

2) David McInerney (Tulla)
    3) Cian Dillon, Capt. (Crusheen)
    4) Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

5) Brendan Bugler (Whitegate)
    6) Patrick O’Connor (Tubber)
    7) Jack Browne (Ballyea)

8) Conor Ryan (Cratloe)
    9) Tony Kelly (Ballyea)

10) John Conlon (Clonlara)
    11) Colin Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus)
    12) Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)

13) Darach Honan (Clonlara)
    14) Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)
    15) Conor McGrath (Cratloe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clare team for this evening

1) Patrick Kelly (Inagh-Kilnamona)

2) David McInerney (Tulla)
    3) Cian Dillon, Capt. (Crusheen)
    4) Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

5) Brendan Bugler (Whitegate)
    6) Patrick O’Connor (Tubber)
    7) Jack Browne (Ballyea)

8) Conor Ryan (Cratloe)
    9) Tony Kelly (Ballyea)

10) John Conlon (Clonlara)
    11) Colin Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus)
    12) Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)

13) Darach Honan (Clonlara)
    14) Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)
    15) Conor McGrath (Cratloe)

same as last week so, conor ryan moving back , colin ryan midfield and duck inter changing between full and half forward , bugler marking lehane would prefer patch marking him , i feel he is too good to be a sweeper

same as last week so, conor ryan moving back , colin ryan midfield and duck inter changing between full and half forward , bugler marking lehane would prefer patch marking him , i feel he is too good to be a sweeper

I'd say the half forward line and midfield will push back on the half backs to cut down the space, make loads of space in front of the full forward line for the lads to do their best.

11 minutes gone, Clare completely on top by thanks to frees it's level at 3-3

Good luck Davey, 1 Championship win in 2 years (against Offaly) is just not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He has to go. ****en clueless. One man in the full forward line against 3 players. ****en disgrace.

1 man full forward line and that man was having a nightmare, replacing a player with someone that was already taken off, terrible skills and the teams didn't look fit at the end, not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

if he had any sense he'd resign this evening but i still think he will try to stay on....

Nah, there'll be a big song and dance made out of it, don't forget he has a PR team now. Expect him to offer his resignation but for the team to refuse to accept it so he stays on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nah, there'll be a big song and dance made out of it, don't forget he has a PR team now. Expect him to offer his resignation but for the team to refuse to accept it so he stays on.

I don't know. Maybe he has pushed them too far. There wasn't the die for the team attitude out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Back in 1b no meaningful championship win in two years its time to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Fitzgerald has to go. The talent that's there has a far greater potential than the results they've been getting. Thanks for 2013 Davy, but you've run your race.

Whatever about talent or potential, we aren't just talking about a team with 3 Under 21s, we're talking about All Ireland Champions from 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

I know it's easy to criticise players but Darach Honan has to be one of the worst hurlers to ever wear a Clare jersey, he offers absolutely nothing. Fitzy should walk away from it now before he drags us into another year of misery but I'd be very surprised if he did, he'll always have the backing from the County board(Daddy). I really feel sorry for the lads because as the losses keep amounting the pressure is building on when the next win will be, not only that but it has to be demoralising putting in the hard graft and seeing no rewards

Wow, worst player ever, he's scored something like 3-20 for Clare in ~10 games, that's a strike rate of over 2 points a game and he's not a free taker, that's a great return, there's an awful lot of past players that were a whole lot worse than him. He's also been pretty much riddled with injuries for the last few years.

Of the 6 starting forwards today he was far from the worst performing player.

No, I didn't call him the worst player ever I said he was ONE of the worst players ever. He might well have scored 3-20(I don't think he has) but it's the amount of work he puts in. Everybody else are busting a nut and he's swanning around the place..Doesn't have the pace to chase players when he doesn't have the ball either. I'll take the excuse about him being injured, but if that's the case why not bring somebody else onto the panel that isn't injured? He's occupying an important position on the field, if he can't do it he shouldn't be there, simple as that..

• Advertisement

No, I didn't call him the worst player ever I said he was ONE of the worst players ever. He might well have scored 3-20(I don't think he has) but it's the amount of work he puts in. Everybody else are busting a nut and he's swanning around the place..Doesn't have the pace to chase players when he doesn't have the ball either. I'll take the excuse about him being injured, but if that's the case why not bring somebody else onto the panel that isn't injured? He's occupying an important position on the field, if he can't do it he shouldn't be there, simple as that..

He covers an unbelievable amount of ground cause of the size of him, he tracked back a lot of today. I'm not saying he's the best player ever but he's not in the top 10 worst Clare players of all time by any stretch, we'd an awful lot of bad years don't forget.

Wow, it didn't take someone long to setup a facebook campaign to get rid of Davey https://www.facebook.com/ClareManager

He covers an unbelievable amount of ground cause of the size of him, he tracked back a lot of today. I'm not saying he's the best player ever but he's not in the top 10 worst Clare players of all time by any stretch, we'd an awful lot of bad years don't forget.

We'll have to agree to disagree my friend ;) I suppose that's what the forum is for, a good debate :) I will agree with you on the amount of bad years we've had though ;) Let's just hope something changes soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

And lets not forget this behaviour from a guy who complained about being bullied as a youth

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/clare-hurler-humiliated-by-double-standard-treatment-1.2139431

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Wow, it didn't take someone long to setup a facebook campaign to get rid of Davey https://www.facebook.com/ClareManager

Not surprising. Like you said, we've had a lot of bad years so it makes it even more frustrating to see all that talent wasted. Davy causes more problems than he solves.

He clearly loves the county so hopefully he steps down without too much fuss.

A massive annoyance for me in every facet of life is inconsistency, I've no problem with someone's convictions if they can show that they stand by them, but Davy has decided to go on about a lot of things once it suits his own agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

What's the difference between loughnane and Fitzy , only 31 counties hated loughnane

I wouldn't say I hate him, in fact I know him in the real world fairly well, I wouldn't say I like him either, I would say that I'm sick of him and his antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Davey out. We've regressed despite having the best young side and best player in the country. Worst part for me was that today was entirely predictable. I genuinely didn't expect Clare to win despite everyone tipping them to come good. That's why it was so tedious to watch it unfold. Same old standard of performance that leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing won in midfield in the 2nd half. Shocking wides. Silly frees. Only for Cork hitting even more shocking wides they would have won by 7 or 8. Cork were poor and will get beaten the next day.

I wouldn't say we have regressed since he took over, he took over at an extremely low ebb and got us an All Ireland, but he has been proven to be out of his depth, fights with media and players just isn't good enough when results aren't there, time to go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement