Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I would prefer if this was Davys last season too.

I wont go into it too much, all I really want is this Clare team to go out and hurl with that ability we all know they have. But their 2 years underperforming now.

I think today was the saddest I felt leaving a game, might be just daying it. We were two points in the lead with 8 minutes to go, after Galvin hit a brilliant point in front of the old stand. But we lost the fight too the finish...
    Cork have a good team and heart as always, but we were the team with all the medals. They have never been found wanting in any game Ive seen, but today no doubt about it at all Cork wanted more.

I think this will hurt Davy the most this evening. A guy who ptides himself on passion, hunger, motivation, drive, etc. His time is up unfortunately, theres no shame in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't say we have regressed since he took over, he took over at an extremely low ebb and got us an All Ireland, but he has been proven to be out of his depth, fights with media and players just isn't good enough when results aren't there, time to go.

No, we've regressed since winning the All Ireland. Relegation from 1a and one championship win against Offaly from September 2013 to at least May 2016 with that team? That's just unacceptable. Especially when in that time there's been more negativity coming out of the Clare camp than any other county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No, we've regressed since winning the All Ireland. Relegation from 1a and one championship win against Offaly from September 2013 to at least May 2016 with that team? That's just unacceptable. Especially when in that time there's been more negativity coming out of the Clare camp than any other county.

Agreed, we've gone backwards since 2013, but he took over when we were at a very low ebb as well, take 2013 out of it and we are in the same place as we were when he took over, BUT 2013 is there and he deserves some credit for it

Agreed, we've gone backwards since 2013, but he took over when we were at a very low ebb as well, take 2013 out of it and we are in the same place as we were when he took over, BUT 2013 is there and he deserves some credit for it

He does deserve credit for 2013 but that was 2 years ago now and likewise he deserves criticism for the poor performances and negativity surrounding this side ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Maybe these players are not as good as we think. First touch was poor. Shocking wides. Maybe it's just all hype. How good is an U21 all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Commiserations if cork lost ye know here huge davy fan management would cheered ye on so but Cork be gutted ye

Yes galvin should imo started and poor decision however cork gave masterclass tactically so tough clare

Yes no one deny he has be reviewed now

But if players want him stay on no better candidate comes on and Kinnerk comes back he could stay

Imo players have control
    If they want him gone outgrown then has to go simply has to

Players will hold the key and it will be interesting their view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

No, I didn't call him the worst player ever I said he was ONE of the worst players ever. He might well have scored 3-20(I don't think he has) but it's the amount of work he puts in. Everybody else are busting a nut and he's swanning around the place..Doesn't have the pace to chase players when he doesn't have the ball either. I'll take the excuse about him being injured, but if that's the case why not bring somebody else onto the panel that isn't injured? He's occupying an important position on the field, if he can't do it he shouldn't be there, simple as that..

That is the most ridiculous comment about a player. You need to take a hard look at your understanding of hurling. It had to be frustrating as a player to day when Clare effectively played 7 backs,, 3 midfield 3 half forwards and 1 full forward..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I hate Thurles! Hates a strong word but that place doesn't give us too many happy times at senior level. Today we were just so disorganised. Why was SOD chasing balls back in his own half, why was Conor McGrath playing midfield?

Absolutely fed up now. Something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Keano wrote: »
    I hate Thurles! Hates a strong word but that place doesn't give us too many happy times at senior level. Today we were just so disorganised. Why was SOD chasing balls back in his own half, why was Conor McGrath playing midefield?

Absolutely fed up now. Something has to give.

I think the problem is your manager. Clare have brilliant players so why not play a conventional game. I think Davy wants to be seen as a tactical genius so plays a 1 man full forward line, takes off a player and brings him back on again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

A talented bunch of hurlers are there in clare. But u-21 is a completely different level. No comparison so it doesnt automatically transfer into senior. Although 3 in a row and the other one in 09 should leave in in good health in another few years. It takes time but it might never come. Look at limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Did Davey do a post match interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think if you asked anyone outside Clare who they wanted as Clare manager in 2016, they would say Davy, because he is the best person to aleniate referees and to hold back an extremely talented bunch of players

pajoguy wrote: »
    A talented bunch of hurlers are there in clare. But u-21 is a completely different level. No comparison so it doesnt automatically transfer into senior. Although 3 in a row and the other one in 09 should leave in in good health in another few years. It takes time but it might never come. Look at limerick.

A win here and there and a few convincing performances isn't much to ask for. Waterford unbeaten this year and only recent success has been at minor level.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

blackcard wrote: »
    I think the problem is your manager. Clare have brilliant players so why not play a conventional game. I think Davy wants to be seen as a tactical genius so plays a 1 man full forward line, takes off a player and brings him back on again

They were actually causing a few problems inside in the opening stages and winning plenty ball albeit without much reward, how McGrath and O'Donnell ended up so far out the field in the second half is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

It not a shock now or a huge scalp ta c how Wex beat Clare last yr,good god
    KK or Tipp must be eyeing up a A1 title from here on in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

Figerty wrote: »
    That is the most ridiculous comment about a player. You need to take a hard look at your understanding of hurling. It had to be frustrating as a player to day when Clare effectively played 7 backs,, 3 midfield 3 half forwards and 1 full forward..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe you should go to a few club games too you might understand where I'm coming from..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Keano wrote: »
    Why was SOD chasing balls back in his own half, why was Conor McGrath playing midfield?

This amazed me also, what was McGrath doing playing midfield

We were hitting stupid wides because there was nobody inside

But ultimately the game was all to play fur with 5 mins to go, and Cork lifted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

management . . . . . . .. .. . .. . . . that is all!!!!!! . . . . . . .crazy!!!

I like beer :-)

letowski wrote: »
    I like beer :-)

still an awfull lot of qustions to be answered though in fairness , and i was fitz's biggest defender on here in terms of management lately but today/yesterday was bad in fairness i couldnt defend the guy on a number of things he called , but yeah on the bigger picture cork were the better team and to win a game by 3 points after hitting 17 wides deserved there win in truth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Assuming that Davy does the right thing and steps down (massive assumption there I know), who should be the next manager?

Personally I think we should go outside the county, we definitely have to cut the ties to the teams from the 90s

we definitely have to cut the ties to the teams from the 90s

Why ?

(and I'd assume Daly would be favourite )

Cause it's 20 years ago.

Dalo had his shot, time for completely new blood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cause it's 20 years ago.

Dalo had his shot, time for completely new blood

I think Clare need an outside man as to who very hard to know.
    Will Davy be pushed though?

As for the match very 50/50 and when clare went 2 up it looked curtains for Cork but they showed great leadership and battling qualities to pull it out out of the fires. Our half back line was superb all through and was the reason we won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Assuming that Davy does the right thing and steps down (massive assumption there I know), who should be the next manager?

Personally I think we should go outside the county, we definitely have to cut the ties to the teams from the 90s

Keep training to East Clare and maybe Donal O Grady might be an option. With him over a bunch of talented young hurlers like ye have it could be magical.

Grueller wrote: »
    Keep training to East Clare and maybe Donal O Grady might be an option. With him over a bunch of talented young hurlers like ye have it could be magical.

There has been massive investment into Clare Abbey and Tulla , might as well use those facilities.

An older manager with a good backroom team is what we need, the team having the hurling and fitness we just need someone to manage it without it turning into a circus.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe you should go to a few club games too you might understand where I'm coming from..
    I go to plenty club games, I know enough about hurling to know Honan is 6'6,unorthodox and has great feet.
    He makes run that open channels for other players that open the full forward line up.
    If you can't see that,,then going to more matches won't help you. With a hurler like Honan you have to be willing to see past the normal game.

You also have to have a manger that has a team play less like sheep in a heap and having a game plan to use the players he has in a way that opens up a team rather than contain the opposition.

An older manager with a good backroom team is what we need, .

But you said the 95/97 team should be discounted for being too old ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

From what I hear the players want Paul Kinnerk in charge and I think he would be the perfect fit.
    Outside of Clare I think we should be looking at Liam Sheedy.

But you said the 95/97 team should be discounted for being too old ?!

I didn't say they are too old, I said we should cut ties with the teams of the 90s

• Advertisement

One positive from yesterday I thought was Seadna Morey. I think this lad has had it tough because at underage and senior at both club and county theres hardly a position he hadnt played in. He is a hugely skillful player, but I think we saw great amount of maturity and composure in his play yesterday. He had to deal with some difficult balls in but he used his possesion well really well. I think the guy has to start in future Clare teams, we dont have the luxury of benching players of his ability.

As for Davy subbing him for Donnellan late last night, I mean it was a beyond a crazy call..

letowski wrote: »
    One positive from yesterday I thought was Seadna Morey. I think this lad has had it tough because at underage and senior at both club and county theres hardly a position he hadnt played in. He is a hugely skillful player, but I think we saw great amount of maturity and composure in his play yesterday. He had to deal with some difficult balls in but he used his possesion well really well. I think the guy has to start in future Clare teams, we dont have the luxury of benching players of his ability.

As for Davy subbing him for Donnellan late last night, I mean it was a beyond a crazy call..

I agree, Morey did all he could do; taking him off was a poor call. Bringing back on John Conlon was also strange. Great hurler and all, he wasn't on fire or went off through injury that we know.
    It seems after this weekend, that every team is preparing to play against Kilkenny with a sweeper.. even though Kilkenny will just play deep and use their forwards to beat teams.

few harder calls should have been made too , if mcgrath had to come off for cunningham or o'donnell for galvin well fair enough none of the two had there best days yesterday , honan had just scored before he was taking off and i still cant understand the call on morey , aidan walsh had a super game at times but taking off john conlon so early was questionable too especially giving the fact he came back on again

donellan did well when he came on , reidy is probably too small for an out and out inside forward but his pace would have been ideal as an extra man out the field in the podge roll to pick up the breaks and leave someone bigger inside

still a very young team with major bulk of the team under the age of 22 or 23 fitz will see out his tenure next year regardless of how bad things get in my opinion , liam sheedy would be a great man to bring in but i would be looking towards the likes of donal and gerry for when the time dose come

Donal og Cusack backed davy to a hilt that good enough for me

He said what I said Kinnerk huge huge loss and once he's back davy for future clare hurling should stay

Kinnerk be very good imo to be back and he's coming back

Future very bright for clare hurling

He said what I said Kinnerk huge huge loss and once he's back davy for future clare hurling should stay

The blinkers are back on,,,

you are right to a degree but last night on the line was poor on fitz's part and as for a bright future " if i had'nt seen such riches i could live with being poor " is a song lyric that sticks in the brain , we have really stalled since 2013 most of us had expectations of a 1/4 final semi final spot this year in terms of real progress

The blinkers are back on,,,

Cusack brilliant pundit and calls it as it is

I heard today clare players want him there

Davy said after game he'll be back next year

Did he????

few harder calls should have been made too , if mcgrath had to come off for cunningham or o'donnell for galvin well fair enough none of the two had there best days yesterday , honan had just scored before he was taking off and i still cant understand the call on morey , aidan walsh had a super game at times but taking off john conlon so early was questionable too especially giving the fact he came back on again

donellan did well when he came on , reidy is probably too small for an out and out inside forward but his pace would have been ideal as an extra man out the field in the podge roll to pick up the breaks and leave someone bigger inside

still a very young team with major bulk of the team under the age of 22 or 23 fitz will see out his tenure next year regardless of how bad things get in my opinion , liam sheedy would be a great man to bring in but i would be looking towards the likes of donal and gerry for when the time dose come

When Reidy replaced Golden I think our forward line was:

Cunningham Kelly Reidy
    McGrath
    Honan
    Sod

Thats way too lightweight a half forward line to be playing in intercounty hurling nowadays. I like Reidy, he improves every year and is a decent option to bring on but only in a roving corner forward role.

It's just disappointing, we keep losing to Cork which is frustrating as it kinda reminds us how we just have not kicked on from beating them 2 years ago. I just saw TSG there, and saw the SOD Kelly and Honan first half goal chances again and brought back memories. On those three occasions the forward racing in had a simple overlap to get a shot on goal but were messed up, oh how different it was in the the replayed All-Ireland 2013.

I dont really know anymore, it just never felt right this year. There was signs alright of improvement but we never played good enough to our potential and that accuracy and sharpeness in our skills just was not where it should be. Patch at 6, Conor Ryan at 8, Golden at 12 was never really on either, none of those player have a suitable skillset to play in those positions.

I know youre a big fan of Davy TTM but the whole setup feels stale right now and I think a fresh voice is the right course to take now. With the exception of Brian Cody and Alex Ferguson there very few examples of coaches spending years with a team of continued success. It's no criticism of Davy here but it feels like a natural ending now. I guess we will see over the coming months.

• Advertisement

Did he????

He said well be back fighting next year

Cusack the brilliant pundit had to apologise about a wrong call on a point last week.
    Cusack the brilliant pundit was put back in his box last week by Daly about putting Rushe back in at Centre back...

How did that work out this week...

Now he backs Davy,, If I was a Cork man, I would back Davy...

Cusack the brilliant pundit had to apologise about a wrong call on a point last week.
    Cusack the brilliant pundit was put back in his box last week by Daly about putting Rushe back in at Centre back...

How did that work out this week...

Now he backs Davy,, If I was a Cork man, I would back Davy...

Well he got call wrong but honesty admit wrong

As rush Saturday showed Dublin no forwards so has imo moved up

He said well be back fighting next year

Sorry i thought you meant Davy said Paul be back

Sorry i thought you meant Davy said Paul be back

He's abroad travelling but back start September or around as far as I know

Id say he'll rejoin clare again in autumn training when start in November back again id say with Fitzgerald

My guess I may be wrong

Maybe davy will resign I can't see it

Only way he'll go if players say so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Id say he'll rejoin clare again in autumn training when start in November back again id say with Fitzgerald

My guess I may be wrong

If Kinnerk is the difference between success and failure of this team then what exactly is the middleman (Davy) bringing to the party? If thats really is the case then that almost makes it worse IMO.

I have plenty of respect for Davy for both 2013 and his playing days, but I am 100% in agreement with letowski, at best the team has stagnated or even regressed in the past two years, its nothing personal but the time seems right for a fresh voice in the camp.

I do expect he will see out his term, and while it might not necessarily be a complete disaster (it is not beyond the bounds of possibly that he could turn it around), I certainly won't be bursting with optimism for 2016 with the current management still in place.

• Advertisement

My guess I may be wrong

county board will not sack him as his father is his boss
    players do actually have great time for him by all accounts
    he didnt look or sound like a guy that had any intention of quiting yeterday , and to sum him up , at a function a week after losing to cork in the munster semi final two years ago he told those across the table from him that he had X amount of years in charge of clare and he was going nowhere until the tenure was up , he did talk very highly of the players and did expect to have an all ireland won by now , which at the time was something that was not seen to be on the cards

clare supporters are as i said in the past slightly more morally guided then most other counties even to the point of some people that he makes clare supporters look bad by his sideline/ interview antics , i gather by the views of some of the waterford , limerick, galway and now even cork supporters that they would easily take or leave all that stuff for another all irealnd giving each county feel they have gone too long with out one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Brilliant wouldn't be the word I'd use. Skilful PR operator yes. Think he lets his innate bias cloud his judgement i.e. his antagonism against Kilkenny. IMO analysis in general is for people who don't know a sport and need it explained to them.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/davy-fitzgerald-we-didnt-want-to-take-john-conlon-off-342123.html

I backed davy where I feel it is warranty but here is prove I don't agree all he says

He's complete wrong with regard conlon in as if hint why lost game when be fair aidan Walsh dominated him

What is talking about regards he was told take conlon off by who

I find it hard to believe referee would do that if he's implying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did Kinnerk not take a position with limerick underage football development, similar to what Daly is doing? Mark my words lads, he won't be back.

Davy failed massively on Saturday. Cork are a decent side but not one capable of challenging the top two. Clare were supposed to be the dark horses, fully fit team no excuses. There's been to many in the past year as ye are aware in fairness. 2 competitive wins since about March or April last year, one against Dublin in the league and the other v Offaly is not good enough for all Ireland champions.

Wasn't sure at the time but the credit Kinnerk was getting for the all Ireland in 2013 seems to be ringing true more and more.

Did Kinnerk not take a position with limerick underage football development, similar to what Daly is doing? Mark my words lads, he won't be back.

Davy failed massively on Saturday. Cork are a decent side but not one capable of challenging the top two. Clare were supposed to be the dark horses, fully fit team no excuses. There's been to many in the past year as ye are aware in fairness. 2 competitive wins since about March or April last year, one against Dublin in the league and the other v Offaly is not good enough for all Ireland champions.

Wasn't sure at the time but the credit Kinnerk was getting for the all Ireland in 2013 seems to be ringing true more and more.
    Yeah but he's played football limerick but you see wouldn't join hurling as wouldn't allow possession game and he said he'd be open clare hurling

He'll come back i guess

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement