Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

ballykev wrote: »
    Jamie Shanahan should be playing in the forwards

Probably but think he can play everywhere in fairness. Has all the attributes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Probably but think he can play everywhere in fairness. Has all the attributes anyway.

Bit of a Tommy Walsh about him.

Clare (SF v Down): J Hayes; K Hartnett, B Duggan, L Healy; M McMahon, J Hayes, M Tubridy; G Brennan (captain), G Quinlan; A Clohessy, D Tubridy, C O'Connor; R Donnelly, T Ryan, N Browne

Few changes there for the match versus Down in Cusack Park on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Clare 3-13 Tipp 1-13 MMHSF

Sweet - good times they are a comin

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Clare really seem to be pumping out good teams on a regular basis now.
    Heard the sparrow saying last week that the current minors were the ones that the future senior team will be built around. That's fairly high praise for a group.
    Good result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just back from the game, great win this evening, once they got on top in the second half they pulled away, bit of a complete reversal of the senior game really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare team to face Down named
    24 June, 2011 - 11:09 GAA
    Joe Hayes S.O.hAodha Lissycasey
    Kevin Hartnett C.O.hAirtneada Meelick
    Barry Duggan B.O.Dugain Cratloe
    Laurence Healy L.O.hEalaithe Ennistymon
    Martin McMahon M.O.MacMathuna Kilmurry Ibrickane
    John Hayes S.O.hAodha Kilrush Shamrocks
    Mark Tubridy M.O.Tubraide Cooraclare
    Gary Brennan (capt) G.O Braoinin Clondegad
    Ger Quinlin G.O.Coileann O Currys
    Alan Clohessey A.O.Clothasaigh Liscannor
    David Tubridy D.O.Tubraide Doonbeg
    Cathal O Connor C.O.Cunchair Coolmeen
    Rory Donnelly R.O.Donghaile Cooraclare
    Timmy Ryan T.O.Riain Kilmihil
    Niall Browne N.de Bruin Two Mile House Kildare.

Well done Clare tonight. The better team won of that there can be no arguments. I would fancy ye for the All Ireland minor now

Great win by the minors last night. The only problem/worry i would have said that the full-forward line only scored a point between them.

Anyway,the footballers are out of the championship for another year but showed great guts and determination this afternoon against Down by a point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ran them as close as possible. Came form 5 down to draw level going into injury time.

Clare minor hurlers are now 6/4 favourites to win the All-Ireland. Hope all the hype around them doesnt go to there heads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just back from the football match, ooooooh mammy how close was that? If the hurlers could but in as much heart/commitment as the footballers did we'd be All Ireland champions, hard luck the footballers, hardest draw possible and you could have done it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Clareman wrote: »
    Just back from the football match, ooooooh mammy how close was that? If the hurlers could but in as much heart/commitment as the footballers did we'd be All Ireland champions, hard luck the footballers, hardest draw possible and you could have done it

Jeez Clareman fairplay to you for going. You're some man to head to the Banner matches. Ye gave Down hell and on the Radio Martin Kiely was saying ye had a goal there at the end and I nearly crashed the car with the shock but alas. What's this about a two tier championship again?:D:D There's footballers in Clare in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I would guess that there wasnt much more than 150 clare supporters in cusack park today,absolutely gutted for the Clare lads.

Looking forward to seeing the goal line clearance,must have been very,very close:(

there were 2 lads representing junior clubs who started for clare and 2 intermediate players started @ midfield,Declan callinan made a huge difference when he came on,How on earth this Down team reached the AI is beyond me.

I would guess that there wasnt much more than 150 clare supporters in cusack park today,absolutely gutted for the Clare lads.

Looking forward to seeing the goal line clearance,must have been very,very close:(

there were 2 lads representing junior clubs who started for clare and 2 intermediate players started @ midfield,Declan callinan made a huge difference when he came on,How on earth this Down team reached the AI is beyond me.

Got a lucky draw to play Sligo in the qualifiers. Got a few decisions against Kerry and their keeper performed some heroics. A square ball against Kildare that changed the game. That's how they got to the final last year.

• Advertisement

Got a lucky draw to play Sligo in the qualifiers. Got a few decisions against Kerry and their keeper performed some heroics. A square ball against Kildare that changed the game. That's how they got to the final last year.

Jaysus User if you thought that was 150 supporters, any chance of a loan of 150 yoyos? I would say there were more Down supporters than Clare supporters, but there was still a good turn out.

And Browney, sport is 1 of my few vices, Mrs. Clareman understands :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster minor hurling final has the potential to be a classic this year. Bring it!

Looking forward to it already, ignoring a couple of big defeats (lady footballers, senior hurlers) it hasn't been a bad year so far, minor hurlers, camoige, junior hurlers, under 21s.

Jaysus User if you thought that was 150 supporters, any chance of a loan of 150 yoyos? I would say there were more Down supporters than Clare supporters,

I would estimate the crowd was around 8/900 and most of them were Down supporters.

• Advertisement

I was on the far side (the standing stand :D), the stand looked full to me as well as a good crowd around the side, if there were 2938 the night before, there was the same today, maybe less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Looks like it'll be a good match up between ourselves and yerselves for the Munster minor title, I have to say it's great to see counties like Waterford and Clare involved in these stages of the competition, hurling needs it. With no disrespect to Tipp and Cork, it's good to see a change from the status quo and see other counties involved in the run-in for silverware.
    I trust ye'll back us for the senior game with yer own county man leading us! :pac:

Wow, Tipp vs Waterford, that a tough 1 to decide who to cheer for, I think I'll just sit back and say nothing

Wow, Tipp vs Waterford, that a tough 1 to decide who to cheer for, I think I'll just sit back and say nothing

Is there still a bit of bad blood between Clare and Waterford after the 1998 saga Clareman? I always remember a few of my buddies from Clare making a few smart comments about how they love Waterford ha:D

I don't know if I'd call it bad blood, I don't think we're good enough anymore to have bad blood with anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Best wishes to Ger Loughnane who is in hospital battling leukaemia at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

buck65 wrote: »
    Best wishes to Ger Loughnane who is in hospital battling leukemia at the moment.
    #

+1
    Have Good time for that man & hopes he pulls through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Told this story by a Tipp man himself and a friend were coming out of a Gaa ground after a league game involving Tipp and Cork the year after Loughnane finished with Clare who was walking beside them only the bould man himself when one of the lads said to him Hello Ger Loughnane ex Clare manager what did you think of that game, as quick as a flash he replied "two bad teams one bad game".Another story a friend of mine was collecting for Lismore Gaa when Ger passed him by without seeing him, my friend called after him "Ger will you support Lismore hurling" he turned back and put his hand in his pocket and pulled out notes and coins I'd say everything he had on him and stuffed it in the collection box saying of course I will I'm a hurling man. I'm very sorry to hear of his illness I hope he makes a full recovery. Its a tough battle but there is another side to it. From a Waterford fan to a legend I will pray for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

He is a true Clare hurling legend, lets hope they caught it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Looking forward to it already, ignoring a couple of big defeats (lady footballers, senior hurlers) it hasn't been a bad year so far, minor hurlers, camoige, junior hurlers, under 21s.
    Dont forget the intermediates.

• Advertisement

Oops, I meant intermediates when I said Juniors. The Junior all Ireland of 93 was the kick start of a lot of the success for Clare in the 90s, Conor Clancy and Liam Doyle were on the team, I think there may have been a few more on the subs. I'll never forget that day, Mick Doyle was just behind my father and I, DJ Carey put on an exhibition of hurling in the replay of the Leinster final against Wexford in the main match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What do ye Clare lads think about the game on Saturday?

If Clare can play as they did against Tipp ye should win. Galway were terrible against Dublin though we surely won't be that bad again. But it's impossible to know what Gslway team will turn up.

PS hard luck to your footballers, gave Down a right battle by the sounds of it.

To be honest, I think it all depends on the Galway team that turns up, it could be a repeat of 2 years ago.

The footballers were very unlucky, a bit more confidence as well as composure when they went level and they would have won it, they were unlucky as well to get the draw they did, I don't know if many teams would gotten through after been drawn against both last years All Ireland finalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I think Clare have a good chance Sunday. Although it's a bit of a disadvantage that we don't have Glynn or Honan :(

Best wishes to Ger Loughnane and hopefully he gets better and is able to watch our minors win the Munster & All Ireland glory and also Munster intermediate champions. Another Clare hurling stalwart in Fr. Harry Bohan is also in hospital so hopefully he pulls through aswell.

Big blow that Honan is out injured for Saturday. He may not make everyone happy with his overall demeanor on the field but he carries a threat any time he gets the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hurleyhead15

Well done to the County Camogie u18 team who beat Kilkenny last night 1-8 to 9 points in the All Ireland quarter-final! Great performance from all! And best of luck to the County Camogie u16 team who will play Limerick in the Munster semi-final this Saturday 2nd of July! Can everyone available please come out to support in Killmalock at 12.30 this is a team with great potential who would greatly deserve all the support out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

What time is advisable for leaving Ennis for the match Saturday.Ive heard traffic can be chronic in Galway. And where to park??Tks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

does any one have an idea when the first round of this is due to start?

and does anyone else think that july is extremely late to be starting a round robin format championship in ‘’weaker’’ football county, just as people are about to plan holidays etc

its no wonder clare football is going no where, not to mention the 10 week break between 1st round of senior games and 2nd round of senior games. Bloody madness!!

If I was travelling to Galway tomorrow (I've a wedding to go to :() I would be looking to leave around 5ish and getting a bite to eat in Salthill before going to the match. If I was going straight to the game I guess around 5.30 would be plenty of time to be sure of a good spot.

In regards to the football, didn't the county management ask that the county championship be put on hold why they were in they were still in the main competition? I think end of July is fair enough considering that you'll have the best pitches available, I'm looking forward to taking in a few games while making a day trip of it.

• Advertisement

If I was travelling to Galway tomorrow (I've a wedding to go to :() I would be looking to leave around 5ish and getting a bite to eat in Salthill before going to the match. If I was going straight to the game I guess around 5.30 would be plenty of time to be sure of a good spot.

In regards to the football, didn't the county management ask that the county championship be put on hold why they were in they were still in the main competition? I think end of July is fair enough considering that you'll have the best pitches available, I'm looking forward to taking in a few games while making a day trip of it.
    Might leave at 4.30 and get some liquid refreshment in beforehand:D.(Im not driving btw)Joe o muircheartaigh was pretty scathing of the West Clare crowd for their complete lack of support for the footballers. No doubt if they had beaten Down theyd all say they were one of the few in Cusack Park;).

I don't know why people complain about people not supporting the team, the team has to have a lot of responsibility to get people behind them, in the early 90s the whole county was behind the footballers, there was a massive Clare crown in Croke Park for the League semi's in 93, hopefully last Saturday will be the catalyst to getting people behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭davidhick77

2 point win for clare over galway im predicting

I would estimate the crowd was around 8/900 and most of them were Down supporters.
    I was on the far side (the standing stand :D), the stand looked full to me as well as a good crowd around the side, if there were 2938 the night before, there was the same today, maybe less.
    Apparently the crowd was 1,600
    If I was going straight to the game I guess around 5.30 would be plenty of time to be sure of a good spot.
    Im not going tomo night,but there is no way on earth you will get close to Pearse stadium if you leave Ennis @ 5.30pm. there will be 1,000s of cars looking for the same spot. leave Ennis @ 4.30pm max! if you want to park your car and see the start of the game. salthill is a nighmare for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm more of a football (soccer) fan than a GAA fan, but watching the GAA show of Clare against Galway in '99 has for some reason brought back memories and infuriated me of Offaly the previous year. It boils my piss just thinking about it, we were robbed of an All-Ireland that year. Why wasn't Jimmy Cooney just allowed to re-start the match at 68 minutes when he realised a mistake was made (after the Offaly supporters were cleared off the pitch of course). We were definitely going to win, no question - Barry Murphy was in a very scorable position to put 4 between the sides just a second prior to the 'full-time' whistle being blown. GGRRRRRRRRR!!!

Oh last night nostalgia *sighs*

I don't know why people complain about people not supporting the team, the team has to have a lot of responsibility to get people behind them, in the early 90s the whole county was behind the footballers, there was a massive Clare crown in Croke Park for the League semi's in 93, hopefully last Saturday will be the catalyst to getting people behind them
    Ya but the west Clare crowd constantly harp on about football being better than hurling.Then, when they meet the AI finalists in Championship in their own backyard they couldnt be arsed travelling a few miles to support them. I think Joe is right-theyre a bit of a disgrace.Simple as that.

• Advertisement

Apparently the crowd was 1,600

And 75%of them from down by all accounts

I'm more of a football (soccer) fan than a GAA fan, but watching the GAA show of Clare against Galway in '99 has for some reason brought back memories and infuriated me of Offaly the previous year. It boils my piss just thinking about it, we were robbed of an All-Ireland that year. Why wasn't Jimmy Cooney just allowed to re-start the match at 68 minutes when he realised a mistake was made (after the Offaly supporters were cleared off the pitch of course). We were definitely going to win, no question - Barry Murphy was in a very scorable position to put 4 between the sides just a second prior to the 'full-time' whistle being blown. GGRRRRRRRRR!!!

Oh last night nostalgia *sighs*
    Clare stupidly agreed to a replay.Offaly should have been out that year simple as that.Its not like we have the chance to win All Irelands every year(or decade,or century).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Yeah, should've done a Meath alright.

Most of the country hated clare already after the munster final that year.

I really don't want to start a debate on something that happened 13 years ago, but Clare didn't have a choice but to agree to a refixture, the first replay was deemed a non-fixture so technically never existed, hence Dooley wasn't suspended for nearly cutting Forde in half. The GAA said that the game could not be fulfilled because of outside issues (Offaly supporters on the pitch). The GAA also had decided to donate all the proceeds of the "3rd" game to the Omagh Fund, which meant if Clare objected they would have been hated even more. The last thing to remember is that Clare should have beaten Offaly the first day and had them beaten the second day, with Lohan definitely coming back and a supposed deal done to have Lynch back, Clare weren't looking at playing another match but getting ready for an All Ireland final. It is often said that Loughnane won us 2 All Ireland's but cost us a third :)

Some rule changes happened as a direct result of the second game however, the ref changes for a replay (before it was the same ref) as well as the board signalling the amount of time left.

I know a lot of people outside of Clare don't realise why we have such a bee in our bonnet about 98, but we put on an exhibition of hurling against Cork (beating them by 8 points I think), took a very good Waterford team for granted in the Munster final, had a player suspended with absolutely no evidence against him, had a game blown up early, had appeals thrown out, we really thought the whole world was against us. It took us 3 years to do what it took Tipp, have the whole country hate us :p

Back to this evenings game, that is a very good Galway team that is out, hopefully the weather will hold for the evening and it'll be a good game of hurling, whichever team wins will learn a lot about themselves after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

I really don't want to start a debate on something that happened 13 years ago, but Clare didn't have a choice but to agree to a refixture, the first replay was deemed a non-fixture so technically never existed, hence Dooley wasn't suspended for nearly cutting Forde in half. The GAA said that the game could not be fulfilled because of outside issues (Offaly supporters on the pitch). The GAA also had decided to donate all the proceeds of the "3rd" game to the Omagh Fund, which meant if Clare objected they would have been hated even more. The last thing to remember is that Clare should have beaten Offaly the first day and had them beaten the second day, with Lohan definitely coming back and a supposed deal done to have Lynch back, Clare weren't looking at playing another match but getting ready for an All Ireland final. It is often said that Loughnane won us 2 All Ireland's but cost us a third :)

Some rule changes happened as a direct result of the second game however, the ref changes for a replay (before it was the same ref) as well as the board signalling the amount of time left.

I know a lot of people outside of Clare don't realise why we have such a bee in our bonnet about 98, but we put on an exhibition of hurling against Cork (beating them by 8 points I think), took a very good Waterford team for granted in the Munster final, had a player suspended with absolutely no evidence against him, had a game blown up early, had appeals thrown out, we really thought the whole world was against us. It took us 3 years to do what it took Tipp, have the whole country hate us :p

Back to this evenings game, that is a very good Galway team that is out, hopefully the weather will hold for the evening and it'll be a good game of hurling, whichever team wins will learn a lot about themselves after tonight.

I'm not from Clare, but I understand completely. That Clare team were at their peak and clearly the best in the country - the performance against Cork was ridiculously good. I'd never seen anything like it.
    I don't want to get into ancient history either, but suffice to say ye were the victims of an epic robbery. And the hate was very much undeserved too. Waterford more than played their part there.

And to rub salt in the wound, a team that lost, not once, but twice goes on to lift the trophy. Most undeserving champions ever.
    My sweetest memory in hurling was the following year's Leinster final when KK put 5 goals past them and beat them out the gate. All-Ireland champions me arse!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement