Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia router - use 2 LAN ports simultaneously?

Options
  • 28-01-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have my PC connected to my Eircom Netopia router via an ethernet cable. Can I connect my PS3 with a second ethernet cable to another of the LAN ports on the router as well and use both at the same time?

Or can only one piece of equipment be used at any one time?

If that is so, can you leave both the PS3 and the PC connected to the router if one is turned off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

You can connect both at the same time. You can use all ports at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Thanks for that mossy464. Thanks for the quick reply! Does using the two at the same time slow your internet speed I wonder?

Depends what your doing really and the speed of your internet connection. If you are downloading on the pc this will probably slow down the connection to the ps3.

Im not sure what the bandwidth requirements are for playing online on the ps3 but I would think that if you are playing online that you would notice internet browsing becomes a bit slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Thanks for that Mr S & mossy464. Its highly unlikely though I would be using both at the same time. Would have one switched off if speed was to slow down noticeably. I have 3 meg broadband with Eircom.

It wont slow down if both are just simply connected, only if you are doing something which uses a lot of bandwidth on one will you notice a slow down on the other device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement