Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

renault,hot or not

• 28-01-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a car,i need something cheap and reliable i know renault is`nt the bet way to go for this:P(what people tell me) so i was looking for some feedback, I was looking at a renualt scenic megane 1.4.....03,52,000 0n the clock (3,500)euros would i get value for money??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cobraeire wrote: »
    i know renault is`nt the bet way to go for this:P(what people tell me) ........, I was looking at a renualt scenic megane 1.4.....03,52,000 0n the clock (3,500)euros would i get value for money??

OMG, have we no Alfa threads or what ? - this Renault stuff is draining....

OP - It's a good car, it's not perfect, but its sensible, comfy and should serve you well. But I don't think I'd give that much for it. It's a clever car without having a big engine, so cheap to tax and insure, etc. As the cars from 99-05 are all the same, anything from 00 on would serve you well, for less money. Me, if I get my act together, I'll get one, but I don't plan on spend more than about 2250.

Fwiw, I've had 3, two of those petrols, and one diesel. The petrol is better.

Only buy a good one - there's loads for sale.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you do buy it, dont offer to jump start any stranded diesel Golf owners.:)

I assume this is the Scenic 1 phase 2 your looking at and not a really early one of the model just gone?

We had a 00 1.4 for a few years and couldnt fault it. It did have a case of wonkey rear lights but it turned out to be a cheap bulb that was the problem. A bosch bulb fixed everything. It's not the nippiest when fully loaded though.

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you do buy it, dont offer to jump start any stranded diesel Golf owners.:)

LOL !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shar!

Oh i wouldn't advise you on a scenic# take my word for it. We bought one Nov 07' but the same type as from 2004 onwards , has everything' lovley dash' panoramic sunroof' rear window blinds ' automatic lights ' wipers etc... paid 15kfor it and it has been back in garage time after time. Were lucky we had warrenty on it but I'd never recomend it to anyone. Maybe you might have more luck but the latest was xmas eve when the dash board went out on us' we had no idea then what petrol we had ' no clock ..... Oh i love it to drive but wish it was more reliable...

Shar! wrote: »
    Oh i wouldn't advise you on a scenic# take my word for it. We bought one Nov 07' but the same type as from 2004 onwards , has everything' lovley dash' panoramic sunroof' rear window blinds ' automatic lights ' wipers etc... paid 15kfor it and it has been back in garage time after time. Were lucky we had warrenty on it but I'd never recomend it to anyone. Maybe you might have more luck but the latest was xmas eve when the dash board went out on us' we had no idea then what petrol we had ' no clock ..... Oh i love it to drive but wish it was more reliable...

Yes, I know the one - the one with the 'credit card' key....not a big fan of that myself.

But I gather OP is looking at Gen I facelift, before it, which is much better.

I'm assuming this one:

car32-1.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, if you're dubious about buying a Renault just buy something else instead. Whether it breaks down or not is one thing, but if you don't have peace of mind.... some people are totally happy to drive Renaults, you sound like you wouldn't be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

Thank its basically a ppl carrier im after but the likes of the opel,vw and fords are to pricey it wont be doing any big mile either, Is there a double sunroof in that model galwaytt?, just thats its a 1.4 as well, the last car i had was a passat 1.9,tdi i`ll be afraid of trying to put my foot through the floor for more power:p what bhp is on the 1.4

Thank its basically a ppl carrier im after but the likes of the opel,vw and fords are to pricey it wont be doing any big mile either, Is there a double sunroof in that model galwaytt?, just thats its a 1.4 as well, the last car i had was a passat 1.9,tdi i`ll be afraid of trying to put my foot through the floor for more power:p what bhp is on the 1.4

Yeah they have a Double sunroof. The newer model only has one sunroof and a non opening glass roof in the back.

The 1.4 is 96bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Cheap, yes but not without good reason, reliable, definitely not, my wife had a 03 Megane and it spent more time in getting fixed than it did on the road. My local garage won't even work on them anymore!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if your main criteria is cheap to own, then there are better options. If you need a mini MPV though, there's little else with a small engine and low price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The 1.4 engine is a dog for the scenic. A friend had one and was frustrated by the lack of pulling power. I find even the 1.4 saloon to be lackluster also.

The 1.4 engine is a dog for the scenic. .

It's all relative. 1.4 with 75bhp in a heavy Golf of the same vintage is a dog. 96bhp in the Scenic makes it nearly a sports car in comparison.:)

FWIW Mine was used to ferry the missus and kid (sometimes kids) around. She wasnt looking to set record lap times. It did the job the whole time we had it without missing a beat and as quickly as it was needed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's all relative. 1.4 with 75bhp in a heavy Golf of the same vintage is a dog. 96bhp in the Scenic makes it nearly a sports car in comparison.:)

I was just about to make the same comparison. Slow as the Scenic is with the 1.4 it'll still have a 1.4 Golf for dinner. Its amazing what short gearing can do for a perception of speed i.e all VW 1.4's and 1.6's. Anyway OP if its the first of the MK II Scenics you're looking at then my advice is stay away ( and I sell them for a living ;) ). The previous generation car made right up till 2002 is a super car. Well speced, good on fuel, dont give trouble and cheap to run...oh and safe as houses.

Cheap, yes but not without good reason, reliable, definitely not, my wife had a 03 Megane and it spent more time in getting fixed than it did on the road. My local garage won't even work on them anymore!:eek:
    What rubbish. I bought 2, new, and I'm sorry to this day I didn't keep the last one.....:(
    The 1.4 engine is a dog for the scenic. A friend had one and was frustrated by the lack of pulling power. I find even the 1.4 saloon to be lackluster also.
    As pointed out, it's 20bhp more than the competition.

The GenII ones (as SaabEd has mentioned) are worse, and surprisingly, slower too.

OP - However, your Passat was both bigger, and diesel, so the Scenic will be a change - your driving style will adapt. As a mini MPV, without a big engine, there really isn't any competition. Everything else of that age is either 1.6 (Zafira, dog slow), or bigger (Nissan 1.8, Toyota 1.8 or 2.0), all petrol. You pays your money and takes your choice, as they say......

Have you driven one yet ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

To the OP, why change? The Passat is a bigger vehicle, more fuel efficient, more boot space, the same number of seats as a Scenic, and both the 01 Passat & 01 Scenic have a 4 star Euro NCAP rating?

It seems to me that you are getting a smaller, less efficient & less reliable car and are taken in by the whole "mini MPV" marketing. If more space is needed, either get a full size 7 seat MPV or a Passat/Mondeo estate.

Well no i havent driven one yet,but it`ll be mostly for the missus, at the same time i avent had much luck with the passat what with cv joints,electrics on the drivers window going etc,just thinking of the tax thing to ...1.4 far cheaper and as i said it wont be doding any big miles i have a couple of mates that have renaults and there not happy with them so its the feedback im getting of them is putting me off lol

ianobrien wrote: »
    To the OP, why change? The Passat is a bigger vehicle, more fuel efficient, more boot space, the same number of seats as a Scenic, and both the 01 Passat & 01 Scenic have a 4 star Euro NCAP rating?

It seems to me that you are getting a smaller, less efficient & less reliable car and are taken in by the whole "mini MPV" marketing. If more space is needed, either get a full size 7 seat MPV or a Passat/Mondeo estate.

Passat is not more reliable as the Scenic, it would seem.........

And, the space in the Scenic is infinately more useful than any car with a boot.

Ode To The Motorist

i have a couple of mates that have renaults Passat's and there not happy with them so its the feedback im getting of them is putting me off lol

Looks like you could use the sentence (modified) above, if anyone asks you about VW reliability ! :p

Ode To The Motorist

lol true:D

Advertisement