Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Visa.

Options
  • 28-01-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

Rightio after trying to get into America im going to try OZ.

I am a qualified trades person.
    I am 23.
    I have no wife or kids.

Whats the best away about applying for a working Visa? Is there an agency that can sort everything? I heard of agencies that give you a sim card, bank account and Visa.

How much are flights to Australia. Who do You fly with?

How much do I need in my bank account before I leave?

Thanks a million for any replies. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Apply for your visa here:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

It doesn't take long. Don't bother with the agencies, they charge more. You can get a sim card easily on your own.

One-way flights are about 650 euro depending on when you go. Return flights are about 1200. You can go with loads of airlines, Singapore, Etihad, Malaysia, etc.

The Oz immigration website recommends about $5,000 AUD in the bank account when you go. You need proof of this (ie. bank statement). Most people don't get checked, but some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Dave! wrote: »
    Apply for your visa here:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

It doesn't take long. Don't bother with the agencies, they charge more. You can get a sim card easily on your own.

One-way flights are about 650 euro depending on when you go. Return flights are about 1200. You can go with loads of airlines, Singapore, Etihad, Malaysia, etc.

The Oz immigration website recommends about $5,000 AUD in the bank account when you go. You need proof of this (ie. bank statement). Most people don't get checked, but some do.

Thanks very much for your quick informative post!

Regards the bank account. Should the money be in an australian bank account or an Irish one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Forgive me if I am stating the obivous, but that information is for a years WHV. If by "getting in" you want to move here permanently there's a longer process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

District_9 wrote: »
    Forgive me if I am stating the obivous, but that information is for a years WHV. If by "getting in" you want to move here permanently there's a longer process.
    Sorry should have made that clearer. I was trying to move to America but i have to wait a while before the next lottery so im going to do Oz in the meantime. Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If I was you I would come over on a working holiday visa (easy to get you just apply online and pay your money and you will have it in a day or so). Get a job over here and see how you go. If you like it here then try for the longer term visas or do some regional work for three month’s and get your second year WHV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Doc wrote: »
    or do some regional work for three month’s and get your second year WHV.

Being a tradie will make your life a lot easier getting a second whv.
    NT, SA and Tasmania are all regional areas, and construction work qualifies for the IMMI specified work! That means up to 2 years in Oz.

Keep your money in an irish account. Setup an aussie one when you land. Transfer the cash.

Advertisement