Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving money

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

rameire wrote: »
    re-use tea bags by drying them on the washing line.
    you could try this 3 times per bag.

Life is just too short :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Had a little get together this weekend with the girls and am in shock, basically got everything as good as new on loan!!! I'm delighted! Will be baking birthday cakes for babies in question as a thank you. What a relief! And got some amount of baby clothes that look as though they were never worn! Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Money can be saved in many ways really.

I find from talking to some people that their mobile phone bills are just massive and I couldn't justify them to myself. Things have got a hell of a lot more competitive in this regard lately. Look at the calls you are making anf figure out which networks you are ringing a lot. For me for example many of my friends are vodafone. I top up by 20 Euro and get free calls and texts to vodafone network for the next 30 days. I think its generally cheaper to ring to same network as one your on so try to figure out which and go to that provider. If the Jury is out Tesco mobile are an option as I believe they have preety competitive rates across the board (not that I'm a major fan of Tesco in general).

If you drive shop around for car insurance as the potential savings to be made are huge in my experience. Shop around for the most competitve quotes in car repairs and maintenance. If you drive a big gas guzzling car consider downsizing to something smaller and more frugal.

Also shop around for any jobs that need to be done around the house such as plumbing/ electrics/ decorating etc. It would appear that the ball is now in the customers court and there has being a turnaround since the silly days in this regard. There iappears to be an abundance of these sort of workmen advertising in the classidieds of my local newspaper. If you rent ask landlord for a rent reduction. Worst case scenario she/he will say no and she/he may well say yes! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you eat out a lot try to cook yourself more often and you will save a small fortune. Shop around to get more bang for your buck. Many supermarkets have special offers and "buy one get one free" for example. Dunnes would have different offers to Tesco at any one time for example so visit both stores and don't do all your shopping in one out of laziness (as many are inclined to). You might be surprised how much further your money goes.

Also Farmers markets are much better value in fresh fruit and veg than the supermarkets and generally of a better quality for that matter also so visit them if there are any nearby you.

Shop around for better interest rates on savings accounts if you have one. Remain proactive as another financial institution may introduce a new more competitive option down the line

The above is far from exhaustive, money can be saved in many ways and conversly so wasted in many ways

Some good advice. Cheers!

Advertisement