Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with post from the UK?

Options
  • 28-01-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone else is having problems with getting post from the UK, esp parcels. I never received a couple of things over the last few months. Even one place sent me a replacement about 3 weeks ago and I haven't got that yet so far. I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Same here, but it's not just stuff from the UK that hasn't arrived with me, I'm waiting on items sent from Dublin since before Xmas, replacement items sent out 3 weeks ago and still nothing here.

I rang the sorting office a few weeks back and haven't heard anything back from them. To be honest I don't know whats going on round here were I live, I had post on Saturday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having these problems. I ordered stuff from Sendit and it didn't arrive, so I contacted them and they sent me a replacement 3 weeks ago and I haven't got that either. I don't know what's going on, whether the problem is in the UK or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I posted a parcel from here in uk to my mother in Dublin on the 15th of December .She received it last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A parcel was posted from a meath post office on 12th Jan to resolve a customer complaint.
    Customer still complaining. Parcel hasn't arrived. Have an post tracking it but to no avail.
    Im actually going to visit him personally in County Laois to resolve it.

An post is ridiculously bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye i am waiting on parcels from the uk for a while too, thought it was due to the bad weather but apparently not:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There was problems a couple of months ago due to strikes and then the weather afaik. I've had parcels delivered no problem of late though.

Would you like this thread moved to Consumer Issues Graceland?

There was problems a couple of months ago due to strikes and then the weather afaik. I've had parcels delivered no problem of late though.

Would you like this thread moved to Consumer Issues Graceland?

Would you mind leaving it here as I would like to know if others have the same problems from this area.

I was talking to someone yesterday and he was saying that the Royal Mail is all backed up because of the strike. I don't mind this as much once I do eventually get my post but it is very disheartening not knowing whether it will arrive or not.

Graceland wrote: »
    Would you mind leaving it here as I would like to know if others have the same problems from this area.

No problem.

No problem.
    Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yep. having problems.
    Now awaiting 7 seperate parcels. No idea when they will get to me!

Looks like a lot of people are having problems with the post. It's very annoying because I want to order things from the UK that have come down a lot in price but I can't do it until I get the parcels I'm waiting on already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It took me 5 weeks to receive something from Hong Kong there a few days ago. I'm not sure whether HK post goes through the UK, but it still is a very long time (it wasn't held up by customs or anything!).

I ordered something from America last week (www.fragrancex.com). I hope it isn't affected by this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

This isn't a Louth issue. Your question was about whether or not people are having trouble getting post from the UK. Do you think that only people in Co. Louth get stuff via the Royal Mail/An Post interface?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This isn't a Louth issue. Your question was about whether or not people are having trouble getting post from the UK. Do you think that only people in Co. Louth get stuff via the Royal Mail/An Post interface?
    Sorry, but the OP has specifically replied that he wants it kept here. If you have something more relevant to add then do so, otherwise the thread is staying put.

delly wrote: »
    Sorry, but the OP has specifically replied that he wants it kept here. If you have something more relevant to add then do so, otherwise the thread is staying put.

Thank you for saying this - I didn't really understand why that other post was so sarcastic to me - I didn't deserve that.

Thank you for saying this - I didn't really understand why that other post was so sarcastic to me - I didn't deserve that.
    thought it was a bit nasty myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

In fairness to the OP, it is to do with Louth as the delivery service is in Louth! I have problems with items posted in Meath not reaching their destination which I posted.

I added my tuppence worth as I thought it may have something to do with a regional distribution centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

[my €0.02 worth]
    OK, so reading back, maybe it was a little sarcastic, but "nasty"? Come on, Whelan1, FFS!

The main reason for my post was that I reckon the OP will get more replies (and/or more relevant replies) if it's moved. If there is a problem with what I called the "Royal Mail/An Post" interface, it would affect the whole country, not just Louth.
    If there's a problem with a specific depot, as Borderlinemeath suggests, then it would affect parcels/post from everywhere, not just the UK.

I stand by my original assertion that the thread as it exists does not belong in a Louth forum. Perhaps if the title was "Problems with post in Louth?" it'd be different.

[/my €0.02 worth.]

OK folks, everyone's had a say about the thread now. As delly stated above it's going to remain here. Can we leave it at that and move on.

Feel free to PM me with any further concerns or queries rather than derailing this thread further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Something is up with Louth / Dundalk, I posted two jiffy envelopes at the same time over a week ago as suggested by a fellow boardsie, one to myself and one to my folks in Monaghan. My parents got their one 2 days later but still no sign of the one I sent myself. They also have no problem with post from the UK but I do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 disc79

Most parcels that now go through an post and royal mail
    are tracked and trace and will very easily be found
    if missing in the post . Asked the sender for the reg.no.
    And you will be able to trace it back.

There is a problem with parcel and packages coming from royal mail
    this is due to the way royal mail is structured.
    Also you will find customs now stop a large vol. Of items
    going through an post incl. DVDs from play an amazon.

Unfortunaly things do go missing in the post, this can be due to bad address
    and no return address on the package.

And no items from hong kong and other parts of the world don't go through England . Hope this helps

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I got two small packets from the UK today and only ordered last week. These would have come out of the Drogheda depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

disc79 wrote: »

There is a problem with parcel and packages coming from royal mail
    this is due to the way royal mail is structured.
    Also you will find customs now stop a large vol. Of items
    going through an post incl. DVDs from play an amazon.

Unfortunaly things do go missing in the post, this can be due to bad address
    and no return address on the package.

And no items from hong kong and other parts of the world don't go through England . Hope this helps
    It would be pretty amazing if an issue with parcel delivery in Drogheda can be summed up as a "bad address" or no return address. Now I know not everyone might like to live in Drogheda but that takes the biscuit! The machines would be equally capable of sorting post to Drogheda as anywhere else. If anything is sorted manually in the Dublin Mails Centre, Drogheda has its own cubby hole. The issues arise when some poor fecker doesn't know where smaller towns/villages like (ahem) Termonfeckin are and ships it off to Dundalk because the envelope says Louth.

So a spate of parcels going missing or being delayed in the Drogheda catchment area all because of badly-spelt addresses is a pretty big coincidence IMO.

Edit: Amazon.co.uk wouldn't be stopped for customs purposes that I'm aware of. It's shipped from the UK, I do know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

disc79 wrote: »

Not true.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

Got a Christmas card last week from Scotland, and we're in Louth, if that's of any use!:D

thecons wrote: »
    Got a Christmas card last week from Scotland, and we're in Louth, if that's of any use!:D
    Don't people start sending cards ridiculously early these days!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Today our postman (in Drogheda) delivered my polling card for the Lisbon treaty. Yes, the one that happened in October 2009.

got the stuff i ordered last week today , but no sign of the stuff i ordered 2 or more weeks ago:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hadn't been having any trouble but today my issue of Private Eye didn't show up. :(

Advertisement