Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking pricing / advice

• 28-01-2010 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

i was looking to construct decking in the next couple off months when the weather clears up.

It would be 6m * 3.5m and another section off 5m * 1.8m which would be along one side off the house.

Anyone know how much this would roughly cost and where the best place is source the materials.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I got great advice from my local builder's provider in terms of quantities of timber, both for the deck and for the frame beneath, they'll also help you price it of course :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

Dictator wrote: »
    Hi,

i was looking to construct decking in the next couple off months when the weather clears up.

It would be 6m * 3.5m and another section off 5m * 1.8m which would be along one side off the house.

Anyone know how much this would roughly cost and where the best place is source the materials.

According to your dimensions you need 30 sq mts. Smyths in Walkinstown where doing 23 sq mts (16ft x 16ft) for 400 euro. You got the decking, subframe, nails, screws and weedblocker. They also do 1/2 sets so the whole lot should set you back 600 euro. I did a lot of deckings last year and they where by far the cheapest around.

When your doing yours don't forget to leave at least a 4mm gap between the boards for expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

How about 10x12 ft :confused: i plan on doing mine soon too , have never done one before but with help of a friend i should be ok , any tips be helpful too;)

Have prices gone up or down recently would i be talking alot for that area and how much sqaure ft would i be looking for too ?
    Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

Heiton Buckleys in Dublin are doing a deal, 12ft x 12ft includes deck boards, subframe, nails and screws for 290 euro. There's a Heatons in Waterford so I'd assume there also doing the deal. If you want posts and handrails there extra but they should have them in stock too.

That's as cheap as anywhere I've seen. If you and your friend are handy enough you shouldn't have any problems. If you buy that deal in Buckleys the guys there will tell you what size centres (space between joists) to make the subframe, so you shouldn't run out of timber.

Biggest thing to remember is the expansion joints between the widths of each board, 4mm is perfect.

Have fun, doing a deck is very enjoyable in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

looked at the boards in smyths and there only 5" boards. tried ABS in jfk ind estate had 6" boards which looked far healthier. 12ft x 12ft there was €249.00 for same as heitons and 16ft x 16ft for €399.00. even dropped it over the back wall for me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement