Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Dealers-Northern Ireland

• 28-01-2010 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

I'm heading up North on Saturday to go looking at cars. Anyone have any names of good second hand car dealers up there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd do all my homework online and on the phone first - just heading up on spec is very unlikely to get you the right car, let alone the best deal. Have a look at www.autotrader.co.uk, that should get you started. Don't forget to RAC check & verify the SH of anything you're considering viewing before you leave home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd do all my homework online and on the phone first - just heading up on spec is very unlikely to get you the right car, let alone the best deal. Have a look at www.autotrader.co.uk, that should get you started. Don't forget to RAC check & verify the SH of anything you're considering viewing before you leave home.
    Thanks a million, i'm trawling through a load of sites here. I have a very good idea of what i want its just that i havent a clue of where the places are, i dont want to spend the day chasing my tail around. I want to go to a set number of places and see as much as i can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

have you checked the price of the car your looking for down here yet?
    chances are it may be a bit cheaper down here depending on what your looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks a million, i'm trawling through a load of sites here. I have a very good idea of what i want its just that i havent a clue of where the places are, i dont want to spend the day chasing my tail around. I want to go to a set number of places and see as much as i can.

Remember, you're buying the car not the garage.:) I'd focus on trying to find the actual right car online, as you start filtering (RAC check, service history, etc) you'll find the pool of suitable cars will get smaller and smaller. You'll probably end up with two or three cars which seem good, and you can then see them in one day. Buying a car isn't like other kinds of shopping, in the sense that you can't just walk into one or two big dealerships and hope to find a car that suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

greg mitchell - strabane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fryup wrote: »
    greg mitchell - strabane

Was waiting for Bank to sort out finance and was going to buy from him. Very sound dealer in terms of being able to make contact with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Went up north last week myself and have to say it put me off buying a car from anyone up there, and I ended up buying down here.

Downey's in Newtownards, Down.. absolutely ignorant people. Never encountered the like in my life from a car dealer. Definitely don't bother with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

If you're not sure what you want and just need a browse, try Boucher Road. It has the greatest concentration of garages in the North. Easy to find too as it runs parallel to the M1 from the Broadway roundabout (where the new underpass is) to the first junction country bound. Sorry can't remember the junction numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

http://www.jc-motors.co.uk/

Bought a focus of this guy last week, was very impressed, very reasonablly priced, he generally sells to trade but he sells privately as well.

He offered to take the car as far as monaghan for me to pick up, serviced it without me asking, put two new tyres on and filled it full to the brim when he got to monaghan, he also extended the warranty from one month to three when I asked, not sure how reliable they are from Northern dealers as technically were in a different country (hopefully ill never have to find out!), but I take that as a sign that he believes the car is going well.

All his cars are ex fleet with full service histories and any of the ones i looked were immaculate. Only problem is hes up past Omagh, near Donegal!

Edit- just had a look at greg mitchell, hes only five minutes down the road from JC Motors so might be worth heading up that direction.

Advertisement