Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistical Questions (Regressions)

• 28-01-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this question is beyond the scope of the forum

I am practicing Stata (left college a year ago and must say was totally underwhelmed by how it was taught) but I have a basic question regarding a sample regression I would like to run in theory.

Lets say I have data economic indicators from three countries at different periods in time.

For example:
    Ireland
    France
    Italy--
    GDP --

--
    IT Growth --

--
    Health Spend --

--

Now, whats the best way to incorporate the years into the above say, excel sheet? Ireland (97), Ireland (98) etc?

Sorry if this is a little vague but I want to regress over a period time as well as between variables

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Did you cover panel data in your classes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did you cover panel data in your classes?

balanced panel:
    unbalanced panel: 28ad2c58e20f127a54e34d2d68dd6792.png

Ah, okay so like above but with Ireland in for person number 1 etc.

Thank you sir, realise it was probably a stupid question. I intend to use more economic indicators than countries by the way, would there be any minimum number of countries reccommended for a decent model?

Thanks again by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Country Year GDP Health Spend IT Growth
    Ireland 1997
    Ireland 1998
    UK 1997
    UK 1998
    France 1997
    France 1998

Like that?

That would be fine. What are you trying to model? Do you know how to set panelvars and datevars in Stata?

Not a stupid question at all, by the way. It's why the forum is here.

http://dss.princeton.edu/training/Panel101.pdf

This is a quick primer on panel in Stata, including some commands you can mess around with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement