Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorist fined for blowing his nose.

• 28-01-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

• Saw this article on yahoo news. What ever next.
    • A motorist has told Sky News of his disbelief at being fined for blowing his nose while his vehicle was at a standstill.

Michael Mancini had stopped his van in traffic and wiped his nose with a handkerchief.
    When he moved off, he was pulled over by police who told him he had not been in control of his vehicle.
    Mr Mancini, from Ayrshire, was handed a £60 fixed penalty and given three points on his driving licence.
    He told Sky News: "I thought they were joking and that it was a wind-up.
    "I was stopped in traffic and had the handbrake on and thought to myself, 'Ive just got time to blow my nose.'
    "Then police pulled me over and I was booked. I genuinely thought they were joking, that it was a wind-up."
    The incident occurred in October, but Mr Mancini has refused to pay the penalty.
    His solicitor wrote to prosecutors earlier this month explaining the offence could not have occurred because Mr Mancini's handbrake was on.
    But prosecutors replied the next day warning that if the fine wasn't paid, the case would be taken to court.
    Mr Mancini added: "I intend taking this all the way to court. I still don't believe it actually happened."
    A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: "A 39-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with an alleged traffic offence on October 26."
    www.yahoonews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fined for blowing his nose:eek:

Thats snot on

sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There going completely loolaaa in the UK. Wasn't somebody fined last year for eating a sandwich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Some cops have way too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the police in the UK can make criminals out of any of us,take my case,my wife got me new number plates for my car for christmass ie K155 BLL,i changed my insurance to cover the new number plate and received my new policy, but the insurance companies computers crashed and they were unable to put it out on the M I D website,the police are connected to this system and can tell when you drive passed if or not you have insurance,as mine flashed up as no insurance i keep getting pulled up[four times last week] the last time was at five AM and it was pissing down,even though i was carrying my insurance policy with me, the cop said he was towing my car away[it would cost me £140, and i would have to walk home five miles without my coat[and i am 69 years old] i was over a hour trying to explain to him the problem, so far the insurance company hasent been able to update the M I D,so i have had to enter my problem on the intelligence[the cop use it to check if the person they stop has a criminal record or is wanted for anything,] i now have a letter from my insurance company pointing out that i am insured, it doesent stop me getting pulled ,but it gets me off,now tomorrow i am going to hollyhead to sail to dublin,i am now ****ting myself in case the customs think i have stolen the car and trying to take it to ireland, now the daft thing about all this is that the M I D system is not a legal requirement its just something set up by agreement between the UK insurers and the police,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

getz wrote: »
    the police in the UK can make criminals out of any of us,take my case,my wife got me new number plates for my car for christmass ie K155 BLL,i changed my insurance to cover the new number plate and received my new policy, but the insurance companies computers crashed and they were unable to put it out on the M I D website,the police are connected to this system and can tell when you drive passed if or not you have insurance,as mine flashed up as no insurance i keep getting pulled up[four times last week] the last time was at five AM and it was pissing down,even though i was carrying my insurance policy with me, the cop said he was towing my car away[it would cost me £140, and i would have to walk home five miles without my coat[and i am 69 years old] i was over a hour trying to explain to him the problem, so far the insurance company hasent been able to update the M I D,so i have had to enter my problem on the intelligence[the cop use it to check if the person they stop has a criminal record or is wanted for anything,] i now have a letter from my insurance company pointing out that i am insured, it doesent stop me getting pulled ,but it gets me off,now tomorrow i am going to hollyhead to sail to dublin,i am now ****ting myself in case the customs think i have stolen the car and trying to take it to ireland, now the daft thing about all this is that the M I D system is not a legal requirement its just something set up by agreement between the UK insurers and the police,

I dont see how thats the police's fault. They can only go on what the ANPR is telling them. If it's taken your insurer over a month now I'd be having issues with them , not the police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I think they've blown this way out of proportion..

Woohoo, my first pun! Those years of pun lessons finally paying off :D

ho i have i have but their system is down and i am talking about one of the biggest insurance companies in the world ZURICH ,my point is if my car is taken away for something that is not my fault[and not illegal]who pays the cost ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

unkel wrote: »
    There going completely loolaaa in the UK. Wasn't somebody fined last year for eating a sandwich?
    Was that guy stopped as well?
    They are really taking the pleasure out of driving.

i have just checked the M I D website and i am now on it ,relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Was that guy stopped as well?
    They are really taking the pleasure out of driving.

Two years ago or so, a nurse in the UK was fined for eating an apple while driving. She argued that people can smoke while driving, and if you drop the ciggie, you burn yourself and crash, but if you drop an apple, nothing happens, yet she was still fined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Two years ago or so, a nurse in the UK was fined for eating an apple while driving. She argued that people can smoke while driving, and if you drop the ciggie, you burn yourself and crash, but if you drop an apple, nothing happens, yet she was still fined.

Rotten luck for her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Rotten luck for her.

I think we've reached the core issue here. They just don't like you doing stuff with your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hanley wrote: »
    They just don't like you doing stuff with your hands.

They'll be banning manual cars next :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

God forbid you might want to change channel on the radio or adjust your aircon :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I hope to god I never have to drive in england

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 RTTH

And people are still in favor of penalty points sharing with the UK. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hanley wrote: »
    I think we've reached the core issue here. They just don't like you doing stuff with your hands.

I doubt I can pip that, but I also heard of similar examples of extreme policing while stopped in traffic, people getting fined for drinking water or stretching, basically taking one hand off the steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

RTTH wrote: »
    And people are still in favor of penalty points sharing with the UK. :rolleyes:

You remind me of someone..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I hope to god I never have to drive in england

Much better standards than driving here. And its not like we don't have our share of "over-zealous" cops. "Not you ossifer; you're luverly, hic..."

Advertisement