Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox wont read discs

• 28-01-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭

my son puts his disc in and as the title say his xbox won't read the disc???
    thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Check the disc, try another game, if the problem persists then your DVD drive is kaput.

Is this an original xbox or a 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

did that and its a 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

could cost 75 to get repaired through official channels. Less to repair outside official channels, but slightly risky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

my xbox 360 has been upside down since i bought it...played perfectly, someone then turned itt he right waya round and it wouldnt read any disc, i turned it back upsaide down then and its worked ever since.

mink_man wrote: »
    my xbox 360 has been upside down since i bought it...played perfectly, someone then turned itt he right waya round and it wouldnt read any disc, i turned it back upsaide down then and its worked ever since.

You do tend to troll somewhat regularly, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I had the same problem. Would work sometimes and not others. I was still under guarantee with the store so i brought it back and they replaced with a new one. But a mate of mine was just past his 1 year guarantee and rang Microsoft xbox helpline and they sent him on free post packaging to return it, which he did and they repaired and sent it back and is working perfectly now. I suggest you give this a go if the retail outlet won't help. Nothing to lose really apart from the price of a phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If you have it less than 2 years, Microsoft will fix it for free under warranty. http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/support/contact/

thanks for the help people.

90 euro for microsoft to fix it....
    where would i buy a new dvd drive?
    would peats sell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can buy replacement parts from dealextreme. It can be very hit or miss so I recommend reading the product reviews and googling, but you can get a drive for about 30 dollars delivered from HK. Then you just need to follow a guide about installing it, flashing the firmware, etc.

• Advertisement

fairplay, thanks for the advice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

I'll fix it for free..pm me if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Mines kicked the bucket as well... Time to ring micro****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

****, nephew's box is doing this now.

Will let he's mother know. If that thing goes altogether he'll go in to Halo 3 withdrawals.

Sigi wrote: »
    I'll fix it for free..pm me if you're interested.

how and why if i need to replace the dvd drive, even the lazer reader would cost money?
    i'm reckon i'm well able to fix it if i have the replacement parts.
    parts cost only as opposed to paying someone to do the job!
    a very good friend has given my kids his xbox to use while they fix theirs!
    a great buddy!
    thanks by the way for the offer!

meant to say i had the rrod and the xbox got replaced but only with a 3 month extended warranty,even though it was a new xbox replacement! which has expired so microsoft want €90 to fix the problem! nah! diy methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

You can buy A DVD (and CD) cleaner for about 10 euro.
    They keep the laser clean of dust and dirt, and have saved me 2 breakdowns so far on laptops and DVD players. I don't know if this is your problem but they are worth having to avoid any dirty laser problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

Had this problem twice on 2 consoles!!! Try get your hands on a new Jasper Xbox 360, somehow, as they are a 100 times more reliable now!

meant to say i had the rrod and the xbox got replaced but only with a 3 month extended warranty,even though it was a new xbox replacement! which has expired so microsoft want €90 to fix the problem! nah! diy methinks!

First off, it isn't a "new" console Microsoft sent you, it is a refurbished one. It comes with a 90 day warranty because that is the same warranty you would get had they just repaired your old one.

There are several causes, the laser could be completely gone, it could need adjusting or the drive could be faulty. Only the adjusting will not need new parts, the other options will.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnfagan

Same is happing to me wont read disk's.....It will read some but not all my game's yeno.....can any one fix it for me? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Heaso

You can buy A DVD (and CD) cleaner for about 10 euro.
    They keep the laser clean of dust and dirt, and have saved me 2 breakdowns so far on laptops and DVD players. I don't know if this is your problem but they are worth having to avoid any dirty laser problems.

I've had this problem a few times as well, and as this man says a lens cleaner could do the trick.

Any idea were to get lend's cleaner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

johnfagan wrote: »
    Any idea were to get lend's cleaner ?

try the 2 euro shop or other pound shops

if they dont have any HMV should have them.

or you can buy online

http://cgi.ebay.ie/DVD-LENS-CLEANER-FOR-DVD-CD-PLAYERS-CD-ROM-DRIVES_W0QQitemZ280451335349QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item414c33c4b5

they can be got cheaper but they will come from hong Kong and take 3-4 weeks

Cheers mate :)

just to update you all after the help i got here. i tried the cleaners etc but ended up buying a new dvdrom drive online from www.Consoleparts4U.co.uk door to door just under €50. it took a week to do and is now working perfectly. thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Hey,

I had the Open-Disctray problem. Still do sort of. My Xbox just flat out wouldn't read discs. Found out it's because the laser ends up going out too far outside the radius of the disc in order to read it. This can be caused by opening the disc try while a game is still spinning in there. Always cancel out of a game before you open the tray.

The warranty etc is gone on my box so I opened her up and fixed it. #

Advertisement