Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use biodegradable nappies

Options
  • 28-01-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I'm expecting my first baby any day now and am caught up in the whole disposable v's biodegradable v's cloth nappies and am so confused I can't tell you!

I'm trying factor cost, and environment and time/energy and am finding it difficult to get the practical info I need.

Does anyone use the biodegradable disposable nappies? I've heard of Moltex, nature babycare and I believe sainsburys do their own eco one, what do you think of them? And how do you dispose of them? Do you put wet ones in the brown bin and poo ones in the black bin? Can you flush them?

My sis in England has a cloth system you can put disposable inserts into too but the inserts work out at 25c each, which seems expensive but you can flush the insert.

Any help would be fantastic!

PS - Hubby has refused to get into scraping poo off clothe inserts so cloth ones are out for the minute I think!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Ecobaby.ie sells Moltex they might have some info...
    Do you plan to put them in the brown bin? If you do, probably ask first, because I'm not sure it is allowed.
    Also not v. good for home composting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use the sainsburys eco ones alot.
    They are really good.

I also weighed up the disposable vs washable nappies and it turned out their was little difference in the environmental impact due to the chemicals etc used for washing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I use the sainsburys eco ones alot.
    They are really good.

I also weighed up the disposable vs washable nappies and it turned out their was little difference in the environmental impact due to the chemicals etc used for washing them.

well, if you are washing them yourself you can use eco-friendly laundry liquid or even plain washing soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

I looked into this a bit myself.

Regarding the Moltex ones, it seems worm composting is the way to go.

http://www.ecobaby.ie/composting/vermicompost01.htm

Although I don't know if the whole lot goes in or bits have to be separated.

I believe I remember reading on the ecobaby site as well, that some collectors in Dublin allow them into their brown bins.

The worms work on the surface so the bigger the surface area of your worm composter, the better it seems. Might not be practical in your average semi-d garden...

It would be great to get this working. The extra cost of the Moltex nappies could be offset by the reduced bin charges. Baby is due in 10 weeks so I'd want to get moving..

I have lots of questions about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I tried composting those disposables and after months in a composter they were still perfect!
    The composter was working well and had plenty of worms in it.
    I think they are really designed for the Germans who have a proper waste segregation stream, their municipal composters also compost at a high temp unlike your garden composter.
    FWIW I think the best bet is to get the reusable ones with flushable liners.They are not too expensive 200 liner sheets are around €4.
    We got most of ours from theBabyorchard.com in Cork, but don't beat yourself up trying to use them all the time, sometimes disposables are the only job!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

That website is great, I think reusable nappies with the flushable liners is exactly the way to go, Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

zzap64 wrote: »
    I looked into this a bit myself.

Regarding the Moltex ones, it seems worm composting is the way to go.

http://www.ecobaby.ie/composting/vermicompost01.htm

Although I don't know if the whole lot goes in or bits have to be separated.

I believe I remember reading on the ecobaby site as well, that some collectors in Dublin allow them into their brown bins.

The worms work on the surface so the bigger the surface area of your worm composter, the better it seems. Might not be practical in your average semi-d garden...

It would be great to get this working. The extra cost of the Moltex nappies could be offset by the reduced bin charges. Baby is due in 10 weeks so I'd want to get moving..

I have lots of questions about it...

I have a friend with a wormery and she has a moltex in almost mint condition that went in almost two years ago - yikes! :eek: Multiple kids and hundreds of nappies later, you'd need an enormous wormery to cope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That website is great, I think reusable nappies with the flushable liners is exactly the way to go, Thanks!

We used the same cloth nappies for both kids, so it worked out cheaper than disposable nappies and using eco washing liquids or even soda crystals and a drop of tea-tree oil works a treat, if your machine does half loads on little water then it's even more eco friendly - the liners are handy to catch solids just make sure you get the really soft ones because some liners sold are really scratchy - and also make sure it's well tucked in, any liner poking out of the nappy acts like a piece of litmus paper and the nappy leaks! :D

Advertisement