Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Your DNS server cannot resolve...' Anyone have any ideas?

• 28-01-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Been trying to get my Xbox online for a while now. Connects to the home network, but won't go any further. Tried and retried all the suggestions from the console and xbox.com; manual and automatic settings, direct connection through ethernet cable, and so on.

Vodafone were useless; the only guy who even tried to be helpful suggested port forwarding, but I've been told that would open me up to all kinds of security problems.

An IT guy at work I've been asking about this (to the point where he must be sick of hearing from me) suggests that at this point, the only thing he can think of is either a new router, or switching ISP's. This is the second ISP I'm on (Vodafone having just taken over BT, who were just as useless).

Before I splash out on a new router or contact NTL to rescue me, does anyone have anything to suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So you're trying to connect your Xbox to the same wireless network that your PC is connected to? And you've no problems with your PC?

Do you know what type of router you have? I had problems initially with mine and it was to do with the level of security built into the router. I'll provide some more detail when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

check out the vodafone forum, their dns servers are all over the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Try using the "Open DNS" DNS servers, may solve your problems. Set everything up manually, and for the DNS servers, enter these two IP addresses:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Had the same problem myself and it was nothing to do with UPC's DNS servers:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63514140&postcount=5

The reason I was getting the DNS error was simply that the 360 could connect to my router but wasn't being allowed beyond it and out to the internet (due to my own security configuration settings changes on the router). This meant the 360 interpreted the issue as being a DNS issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I highly recommend using this free software - DNS Benchmark

It finds a list of the DNS servers available to you and orders them by the fastest. Using this, and another windows trick (not relevant to xbox), my dl speed increased by 0.6Mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Worth a try I suppose but as I mentioned above, and going on my experience, it most likely has nothing to do with the OP's ISP/DNS servers, it's more likely to be a router config issue. Thus trying to hit Open DNS or alternate servers to his ISP's won't make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Been trying to get my Xbox online for a while now. Connects to the home network, but won't go any further. Tried and retried all the suggestions from the console and xbox.com; manual and automatic settings, direct connection through ethernet cable, and so on.

Vodafone were useless; the only guy who even tried to be helpful suggested port forwarding, but I've been told that would open me up to all kinds of security problems.

An IT guy at work I've been asking about this (to the point where he must be sick of hearing from me) suggests that at this point, the only thing he can think of is either a new router, or switching ISP's. This is the second ISP I'm on (Vodafone having just taken over BT, who were just as useless).

Before I splash out on a new router or contact NTL to rescue me, does anyone have anything to suggest?

what kind of router do you have?

Ive had that problem with 2 routers and they had different solutions.
    Port forwarding is fine I wouldent worrk about secutity too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

Try using the "Open DNS" DNS servers, may solve your problems. Set everything up manually, and for the DNS servers, enter these two IP addresses:

Thanks! This worked first time. Why couldn't Vodafone have made a suggestion like this?

Advertisement