Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car scam victims

• 28-01-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Did anyone here the couple that were talking on Deise AM this morning on wlr about been scammed by someone in the uk. This is old hat I think, did they not smell a rat here. You don't have to go to the UK to buy a car for 1300 quid. There should be someone even dealers;) around the city or county with a car of that price. Even if that scam was legit, its not worth the bother buying over there at that price. I once advertised a car on carzone and got a call from these crowd of w*****s if I wanted to sell it to the UK. They will learn the next time I hope. I do feel sorry for them though, these fraudsters should be stopped. Oh they did mention that they posted up on this website too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

serves them right ,and then whining over the airwaves:)

if you hav'nt test driven it dont buy it...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Hoffmans wrote: »
    serves them right ,and then whining over the airwaves:)

if you hav'nt test driven it dont buy it...;)

Im sure they feel stupid enough already. Everybody makes mistakes and their "whining" at least alerts others from making the same mistakes.

No need for gloating about it.

I feel sorry for them, thats a lot of money if you dont have much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

my uncle recently bought a 08 mazda 6 to bring it home to discover a wk later that that catlytic converter is after goin in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

The people who perform these scams are pure scum. They prey on victims who clearly have little or no intelligence or common sense.

Its terrible to see people like that taken advantage of.

Its hare to believe that they did not even think to question that what was happening was a scam. You would think surely they would have asked someone for advice or even googled it. There's even a dedicated thread here in the Motors forum about scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dunlucewarlock

I clicked the email dealer link to make an inquiry to a relatively cheap car considering it was a 2006 reg. I asked for clarification of the price and I got this which I think I should share with you all:

Hello,
    I still got the car for sale. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. We live in the Southern part of United Kingdom, .....

An obvoius scam not to mention to terrible grammer which provided me with some light relief from the stress of work as I took great pleasure in venting a tirade of abuse towards them.

I was particularly pleased with my sign off, "I hope you die of AIDS, c**t!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I clicked the email dealer link to make an inquiry to a relatively cheap car considering it was a 2006 reg. I asked for clarification of the price and I got this which I think I should share with you all:

Hello,
    I still got the car for sale. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is real and I never had any problems with the engine. The car looks and works just perfect. We live in the Southern part of United Kingdom, .....

An obvoius scam not to mention to terrible grammer which provided me with some light relief from the stress of work as I took great pleasure in venting a tirade of abuse towards them.

I was particularly pleased with my sign off, "I hope you die of AIDS, c**t!"

Indeed, an elegant combination of wit and irony. It is of course possible that someone in the southern uk might have a car for sale, and unlike all posters on boards, have slightly doubtful grammar.

You would, of course, be a fool to buy it sight unseen, or even travel to the UK for it, but people do sell legit cars on whatever site you were searching, or you wouldn't have been there. Would you?

looksee wrote: »
    Indeed, an elegant combination of wit and irony. It is of course possible that someone in the southern uk might have a car for sale, and unlike all posters on boards, have slightly doubtful grammar.

You would, of course, be a fool to buy it sight unseen, or even travel to the UK for it, but people do sell legit cars on whatever site you were searching, or you wouldn't have been there. Would you?

Of course I was on the site to look at purchasing a car and of course people from the UK are on selling their cars. The car I was looking at was from a "dealerhip" in south Dublin (price 3,000). I used the email dealer link on Carzone.ie to request confirmation of the price. After that I visited the dealer website and the car was listed at 10,000+.

The point is, it was being sold from a delaership in south Dublin and I get this "We are a nice couple of pensioners (I have 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old) and don't use the car so often. We love to spend our time on the road but now we use to travel by plane, so a car is no more useful for us"

If the car was being sold privately then I wouldn't have been so hasty in the abuse I handed out but it was blatently obvious that this was a scam so the vulger language used in my tirade towards this scamming piece of dirt was 100% justified. Carzone has since spotted the scam and removed it from the site. Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

plenty of information on car scams here on the motor forum scam thread..

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I clicked the email dealer link to make an inquiry to a relatively cheap car considering it was a 2006 reg. ....
    An obvoius scam not to mention to terrible grammer ...
    Excellent - a laugh a minute :D
    ... which provided me with some light relief from the stress of work as I took great pleasure in venting a tirade of abuse towards them. ...
    It must be great working for yourself rather than wasting your employer's time and money messing around on the internet.
    ... I was particularly pleased with my sign off, "I hope you die of AIDS, c**t!"
    What rapier wit and comic talent. My cat, with an IQ of 3 measured in human terms, could create a better riposte than that.

mathepac wrote: »
    It must be great working for yourself rather than wasting your employer's time and money messing around on the internet.
    What rapier wit and comic talent. My cat, with an IQ of 3 measured in human terms, could create a better riposte than that.

I work in IT so my job description requires me to be on the internet and what concern is it of yours what I do during my days work? I could easily say the same about yourself but the spitefulness in your tone gives me the impression you are on the live register, at home, online feeling sorry for yourself because you are a victim. If I am wrong, what line of work are you in? Enlighten me?

And I wasn't trying to be witty, it was genuinely intended to be insulting and hateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Dara130

I think it's obvoius dunlucewarlock needs to work on his own grammer :D

Dara130 wrote: »
    I think it's obvoius dunlucewarlock needs to work on his own grammer :D

yes i certainly am finding out (the hard way) that I need to proof read each and every post before clicking submit so I dont have sausage munchers like you and the last knobhead on my case about my grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dunlucewarlock banned for one week for personal abuse, on another note I'm not a fan of pulling people up on grammar or spelling unless it's something like text speak so maybe we can all let smaller things slide. Thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Dara130

Big brother is watching!

Yea we are, (note only 2min since your post :))

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

i was thoroughly enjoying that arguement,shame:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is that the first person you've banned zeidth?

Checkraise came very close Saturday night :) but ya.

The first one is hard but they say it gets easier.......

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

ziedth wrote: »
    Checkraise came very close Saturday night :) but ya.

The first one is hard but they say it gets easier.......

A week a bit harsh being he was provoked me thinks, but hey I’m only the boy here so what would I know…

I take any personal abuse seriously (and it's only a week from the fourm not the site) and it's not needed here in anyway.

Also, please don't question a mod's decision on thread. If you have an issue send me a PM and I'll happily talk to you about it.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement