Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

What are peoples thoughts on the iPad and comics ?
    Will it kill the print medium for comics or open it up to more people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No impact at all IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

No impact. The iPad is an underpowered, over priced, over rated machine. Looks good.. but it's nothing more than a big iPod Touch at the moment.

You're check out tools like http://graphic.ly instead and keep your money for a descent laptop because at least then you can do more than 1 thing at once (no multi-tasking on the iPad)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree! A big build up to noting. I was honestly expecting a lot more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It has colour, which is a plus for digital comics over the existing e-ink displays. But it's a backlit display which is a serious minus in the context of reading for long periods at a time, and the screen isn't big enough to render comics particularly well without a lot of fiddling.

I can't figure out what the audience for the iPad is in general, never mind in the context of comics. I doubt it's going to kill print, but it might help widen the audience of comics readers if the iBooks app pushes them enough and there's a good range of content available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

The iPad negates the concept of collecting, which is one of the major focuses of comic fandom. No way is electronic media ever going to replace ink-on-paper in that world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Unlike music, a big part of the sale of any book or comic book is the physical product. Hardcovers still sell despite their being more cumbersome and expensive than paperbacks. There is a tangible aesthetic quality and prestige element to purchasing a book that won't be found in digital distribution. I can see this new method taking a chunk out of retail certainly, but it doesn't duplicate all the appeal of print fandom.

Also, "with the name iPad narrowly beating out its closest rival, the tamPod."

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

A preiview piece on a comic reader for the iPad - Panelfly:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/panelfly-comic-book-reader-for-ipad/

It doesn't look too bad and matches more or less what I imagined in my head a comic reader on the iPad would be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I think it will catch on. Comics on mobile readers are popular in Japan.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

A review of the Marvel reader for the iPad:
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01/marvel-comics-for-ip.html

The lack of a 2 page view surprises me and while the reviewer wouldn't miss it, I certainly would.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm. That $2 price point succesfully shoots it in the foot as far as I'm concerned.

That, coupled with the at-best-adequate comparison to CDisplay and other comic-reading programs, and I think we've still got a way to go.

I'm curious to see how Marvel will proceed in terms of making their comics available through the app, particularly in comparison with their DCU offering. Same-day release of digital and print comics would be interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It will definitely open it up more for new people, if only through ease of access and advertisement on the appstore. Though diehards may not like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

There's some interesting thoughts from Scot Kurtz on his homepage at the moment on comics on the iPad:

http://www.pvponline.com/
    Comics:
    Comic books look amazing on this effing thing. Big bright full color pages really jump out at you. I can’t think of any other word to decribe it but “fun.” It’s just freaking fun. The Marvel Comics app is sublime. I downloaded a couple issues of Fantastic Four and was blown away by it.

And that’s why it’ll be so dissapointing when the comic book industry does absolutely NOTHING revolutionary with this device. God damn it. I don’t know why I’m so cynical about this, but everything I read from my industry about devices like the iPad make me want to start punching people in the crotch. Everything I read online points to an entire industry either adamatly denying that the iPad will change things for comics or actively praying it doesn’t. Then there’s the truly astounding group of idiots just sitting there waiting to see if it does anything.

Retailers want it to fail because they want to keep selling physical floppy comics. Diamond wants it to fail because they want to keep being a monopoly for physical floppy comics. Fans want it to fail because for them, comics is about collecting, bagging and boarding, not reading. Creators want it to fail because they’re artists, and they don’t understand new business models or how to make money, nor do they want to worry about it.

What about the big four publishers? I don’t know. I suspect they fear selling digital copies of comics will cut into their existing business. That’s why the Marvel app is pushing Avengers comics from 1998 on me. Guess what I don’t give a **** about? The Avengers from 1998. What’s happening to the Avengers now? And how would it be bad for business to offer me those comics for $1.99 a piece?

That Marvel app should allow me to subscribe to my favorite CURRENT title and deliver it to me the day it hits shelves. How about charging me a premium to get it before it hits physical shelves? How about TRYING ANYTHING you luddite assholes! Hey guess what comic book industry? The iPad is not going to be a game changer. No technology is. YOU are the game changer. You have to DO something with the techology that is presented to you. Think. Be innovative. Try something bold. Don’t give me Captain Amaerica from 2004. Even a noble failure would be better than playing it safe at this point. Don’t you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The Scot Kurtz comments are interesting. Next year or so will tell as alot of people are wondering what niche the ipad falls into as most people have their iphones and there laptops so lots are waiting to see if the ipad actually establishes it's self in the market.
    The iPad negates the concept of collecting, which is one of the major focuses of comic fandom. No way is electronic media ever going to replace ink-on-paper in that world.

The collecting side of comics is very much on the way out, it's only the big two main stream american publishers [and Image to a lesser degree] who still focus on single issue sales - the smaller ones have moved to focusing on graphic novels and trades. French comics can argue much higher production values for their product but single issue american comics are mainly ad's nowerdays and due to the focus of getting into the book market the collected trades are out much quicker now which means for people who live a distance from a decent comic shop and pick stuff up every couple of months it's easier and more cost effective to pick up trades then single issues. The days of guys buying, bagging and storing their comics cus they think somehow they will be worth millions in years to come are dieing out....yes there are still guys doing it but very few younger fans coming up are into collecting. Most are coming to comics via japanese comics which has a different focus on collecting to american mainstream comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah, collecting means nothing to me personally. I read comics for the content, not to have a mint edition copy in a nice plastic cover well kept. In fact I think if anyone here saw my "collection" I may be thrown off the comics forum with orders never to darken it's door again! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I only have a very passing interest in comics, but I'm a hoarder so I would hate to see the physical form of comics declining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Gambler wrote: »
    Yeah, collecting means nothing to me personally. I read comics for the content, not to have a mint edition copy in a nice plastic cover well kept. In fact I think if anyone here saw my "collection" I may be thrown off the comics forum with orders never to darken it's door again! :P

Yep me too.

Single issue comics are meant to be cheap throw away material, bought by one kid at the news stand then passed around others. I think going digital is getting back to the roots of those early comics. I don't think print comics will go away but you'll move towards the comics you have in France or with some of the books First Second are putting out with super high production values and amazing print jobs that make the book as an object itself something worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trevgg

it looks pretty cool but i think its just a major hype over it same as the very first iphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ddkenmare

I imported an ipad at launch and I'm convinced it will bring a new audience (back) to comics. The Marvel app has gotten a lot of press but it's the same app used by Comixology which has a much wider range of comics in their in-app shop. Most comics are either free (usually first in the series), 99c or 1.99c (most frequent price point).

The comics are easy to read and all too easy to buy.

The iPad is not for everyone, but ignore the Apple haters, this platform will definitely bring a new audience to comics and that's got to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I am assuming this is the wireless version as the 3g version has only been released, do you mind me asking if you had any problems with it connecting to your wireless network ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ddkenmare

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I am assuming this is the wireless version as the 3g version has only been released, do you mind me asking if you had any problems with it connecting to your wireless network ?

Yes the wifi version; I'll use it mainly in wifi areas. No problems whatsoever connecting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Why would it have an affect?Sorry I dont understand lol

Why would it have an affect?Sorry I dont understand lol

Why would what have an effect? I'm not sure what question you're asking, or who you're asking it of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 briankim09

"No impact. The iPad is an underpowered, over priced, over rated machine. but it's nothing more than a big iPod Touch at the moment". I think the same OFlaherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

DC Comics app just released for it. If they and Marvel start releasing new titles day-and-date with comic book shops, I'll be all over it.

As it is, Comixology is fantastic for reading comics.

Advertisement