Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

website for photographers

• 28-01-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Looking for some assistance here. I have been tasked with trying to help my father in law put together his website. He is a photographer for years and years but has no website and now really wants one!! Money is an issue and I have no idea about websites. Is there a solution available that doesnt cost the earth that he can just drag and drop photos into and enter some text and do afew of these pages and make it live then? I think he has registered a .ie domain name.

Many thanks,

TUNNER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

check out www.zenfolio.com. it costs $99 a year. check my site for example -> its my sig. i can recommend the service. you xan use your own domain name too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

You could always try www.clicpic.com . Thats the one i am currently trying to set -up and i think it does the job for me as i don't want anything OTT and something that don't cost the eart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Second vote for www.clikpic.com easy to use and always up

If you want to go down the free route, there are some really good wordpress plugins.

do you not find clicpic very restrictive in terms of storage space? even the top package wasn't great IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

I wouldn't put my works on so called hosted portfolio sites.you can buy a serwer,1 gb is enough,even 512 mb and then install any cms portfolio system like cargo or pixelpost,easy to setup,update and all files are in your place,with no bull**** codes of ethics and copyright issues after... if you don't know how to do it I can do it for you,just pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

do you not find clicpic very restrictive in terms of storage space? even the top package wasn't great IMO

Not really, works out grand for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I use www.wix.com, the free version. The ads aren't too obtrusive and it's pretty easy to figure out. You can always pay a small enough (i think) fee to get them removed.

Anyway, my site is www.zoehughesphotography.tk, have a look and see if it's any good for yo...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

tried zenfolio.com but took forever to download images ,broadband speed not the issue,photoshelter.com looks good but a bit complicated ,nice if there was one out there they was simple to set-up,quick,free and had an option of e-commerce..ohh for the perfect world:)

nann wrote: »
    tried zenfolio.com but took forever to download images ,broadband speed not the issue,photoshelter.com looks good but a bit complicated ,nice if there was one out there they was simple to set-up,quick,free and had an option of e-commerce..ohh for the perfect world:)

upload photos you mean? It does take a while, but it would appear to be connection-speed related. I can upload fine here in work, but it does take a while at home ( I think my upload speed is 256mpbs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

tunner wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Looking for some assistance here. I have been tasked with trying to help my father in law put together his website. He is a photographer for years and years but has no website and now really wants one!! Money is an issue and I have no idea about websites. Is there a solution available that doesnt cost the earth that he can just drag and drop photos into and enter some text and do afew of these pages and make it live then? I think he has registered a .ie domain name.

Many thanks,

TUNNER

You could go the real cheap ass way of redirecting his .ie domain to a flikr account or similar. Though I guess he might want something more personalised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snaphappy123

This is good:

http://www.weebly.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Anyone ever tried hosting their own web server from home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

DK32 wrote: »

used be common but not so much now days as webspace online is so cheap you would need a fast connection to the internet and then there are the hackers much better to just use online webspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

DK32 wrote: »

I host from home (blog, web, mail etc), not that hard, just requires some care and attention to setup. I run some blades in a rack in the attic on an 8hr UPS with automatic backup. Your mileage might vary!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

i have a professional account at smugmug.com. i think it's around $99 a year? I can enable or disable a shopping cart for customers to buy prints from a gallery. the prints are made at Bay Photo in the US which is a professional lab. Shipping to ireland is $15 for an order.
    It's very easy to set up a webpage and upload photos. You can use your own domain name, although I haven't done that yet.
    My page is www.lisa-odwyer.smugmug.com.
    Some clients have said they liked my page because it's simple and easy to navigate. Plus if they are using a dial-up connection, they can view pictures easier. Flash websites are impossible if you don't have broadband. And there are some people in Ireland who still have dial-up (my in-laws in Co. Clare!!!).

Advertisement