Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter-Strike

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Hey looking for help.

I used to play CS years and years(well until COD came along) but I would love to get back into playing it. Is there much action on the servers? If I remember correctly it came free with Half-Life but im sure you can get it on its own now.

Questions are...
    WHich one is the real one since I see there is CS 1.6 or CS: Source?
    Where can I download it?
    How much does it cost?
    Is it subscription based?

Does it still have assault/dust/italy/aztec etc etc...

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

1.6 get it on steam, no sub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

mayordenis wrote: »
    1.6 get it on steam, no sub

whats steam? how much does it cost? i googled it and there is loads of free ones but i dunno if these are real or if I play online will they track me and ban my ip....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

You are looking for the Steam Powered website:
    http://store.steampowered.com/about/ there's a download link for Steam on the right.

Its an application that launches its games, lets you download purchased games through their store, and keeps them patched. You can also set up friends that also use it.

CounterStrike. Condition Zero used to be the crap version of 1.6 but think both are included there. CS: Source was the newer version of counter strike that came out with Half Life 2. Many people thought it sucked and that the aim was dodgy. Worth trying tho to find out for yourself.

(Look at the 1.6 graphics now, they haven't dated very well at all)

Why would anyone ban your ip unless ya cheating?! :S

Spunog UIE wrote: »
    Why would anyone ban your ip unless ya cheating?! :S

Dont want to sound smart because Ive asked does it cost anythign and nobody has answered. but there are other web pages that have it for FREE and I dont want to use one of them if they are dodgy and they can tell this and ban my ip address. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Dont want to sound smart because Ive asked does it cost anythign and nobody has answered. but there are other web pages that have it for FREE and I dont want to use one of them if they are dodgy and they can tell this and ban my ip address. Thank you.

the steam client is free, Counter Strike 1.6 & Source will cost you, not a lot though. buying it on steam is the only way to play it on official servers, buying/acquiring it from anywhere else is dodgy & illegal and you will have to play on crappy cracked servers with no where near the amount of same players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steam is Valve's "Digital Locker". Its basically a massive Online Game Store that competes with Direct2Drive and Gamestop. You buy Digital Copies of games that bind to your account that you keep like an email address. Steam Accounts are free. You just pay for the games and theyre yours to download as many times as you like with the latest patches and updates.

More detailed information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28content_delivery%29

Ah cool cheers lads!! i downloaded it and now just need a credit card... anyone wanna offer and ill transfer to your bank account form my laser :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah cool cheers lads!! i downloaded it and now just need a credit card... anyone wanna offer and ill transfer to your bank account form my laser :-)

American Express ok ?, i left my visa in my other pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your bank debit card should work.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sabre0002

If you get Source, keep an eye out for CSPromod - trying to bring 1.6 gameplay to Source graphics. New beta out in the next couple of days.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Your bank debit card should work.. ?
    Nope dont accept Irish laser. Not a fan of CC's im going to use my mates.
    sabre0002 wrote: »
    If you get Source, keep an eye out for CSPromod - trying to bring 1.6 gameplay to Source graphics. New beta out in the next couple of days.

which one on the current list should I but.. Just the normal Coutner Strike one that was releassed in Nov 2000? Or Source? or condition Zero. So the normal one will patch upto 1.6?

Theres all sorts of packages Im confused I just want CS :-( lol
    Im gonna go with the normal one im not liking the idea of this 'source' only costs €9.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If you have a copy of Half Life lying around, you can register its CD Key to your Steam account and receive the entire Valve Back Catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Theres all sorts of packages Im confused I just want CS :-( lol
    Im gonna go with the normal one im not liking the idea of this 'source' only costs €9.99

I'd go with source, it's very good, just more inline with the natural progression 1.6 will feel pretty dated after you've tried source.

Advertisement