Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKATEBOARDING PARK

Options
  • 28-01-2010 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Im Looking for people to sing a partition for a skate park please leave below your email adress and ill get back to you thanks ever so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'll sign if you also include a provision in the petition to use the local money to subsidise all my hobbies and interests as well as yours.

I could do with a new wetsuit... and a town dry slope for year-round skiing would be pretty sweet... Oh and I would like to see a giant statue of an elephant on the parade. I like elephants. And make it out of something classy, like ivory.

Oh and a tower made from ivory would rock. Oh and some rocks. Can't have enough rocks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I remember reading in the paper a few years ago about some kid trying to get people to sign a partition for a skatepark... Look where thats got him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Im Looking for people to sing a partition for a skate park please leave below your email adress and ill get back to you thanks ever so much

:confused:

T'isn't a bright idea to put one's email address on a public message board like this one. There are plenty of spambots out there harvesting email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Im Looking for people to sing a partition

You give me the words and Ill Sing whatever Partition you like. As for money that could be spent on digging a moat around my house, no I will not sign your petition as wherever the damn thing would be built it wouldnt exactly be a bonus to people around, now would it? eg:

Potential Purchaser: Oh, is that a skate park?
    Estate Agent: Yes here in Kilkenny we enjoy many local amenities skating, swimmi...
    PP: No its not actually a good thing having one that close.
    ES: Yes it is terrible and it was built only year ago.
    PP: Oh they dont come in Graffiti Pink And Urine?
    ES: No thats the local "artists" pimping there hole.
    PP: Right. Well Im going to carry on looking around but thanks for your time. The garden was too small anyway.
    ES: Cosy.
    PP:......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Gigilowgonewild

Basicly i need enough votes to this, as i have a maetting witht he county council in April,

About the park,
    And it will be in a remote area, DO U RELISE WERE WRECKIN THE STREETS< u willl all see in the summer how bad it gets,
    and if you take a walk down to Black Abbey Cathedral, u will see the vandalism,
    I dont like to see that **** going on,
    But where do they have to go?
    Teens in kilkenny have nothing to keep them occupied,
    anything in Kilkenny is hurling related, which is terrible , EG, if some G.A.A club wanted to get a new hurling field, they would get it wouldnt the?
    because everythign in kilkenny revolves around hurling,

• Advertisement

And it will be in a remote area, DO U RELISE WERE WRECKIN THE STREETS< u willl all see in the summer how bad it gets,
    anything in Kilkenny is hurling related, which is terrible , EG, if some G.A.A club wanted to get a new hurling field, they would get it wouldnt the?

Ok Ok dont go threatening to do an olly on the Black Abbey!! Ill sign your petition!! Please!:rolleyes:

Do you mind me asking where this "remote area" is?

Answer: A or B

You see A IS remote whereas B isnt.

The problem is that this "Teens have nothing to keep them occupied" bull really winds me up. Its a load of shít, it really is because there is many things that anyone can do if they put there minds to it and yet you want a couple of grand for a skate park that lets face it will be used by 6 people a day and then the convient hidden spaces formed by the ramps will be used for getting píssed in. Then four months later that couple of grand is turned into firewood and the four of you that still want to use it and havent found a life (other than sitting on a street corner moaning about how your mum doesnt understand you) get a brand new skatepark to start destroying. But please make it easy for the good people to come and get you when they find out how much money has been wasted and "tag" your name AND address. Thanks, in the mean time find a hobby where the expenditure is your own, like Stamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Hang on LB the skateboarders,bladers and bmxers in kk have nothing in kk for themselves, so when they try to set something up by way of a government grant you shoot them down, People always bitch and moan how kids are lazy etc, Isn't one of the main kids running this through official channels only 16 or 17??

I think it actually speaks quite well of them that they are trying to get off the streets and into somewhere proper. Lots of established sports and rec things have gotten grants in the past what's so wrong about these lads wanting the same treatment?

Seriously, i dunno sometimes, which are the adults and which are the kids,

But one thing is that, i do agree with you there is stuff to do in kilkenny, but why should i go do something that doesnt take my interest eh?

And another thing is, Skateboarding parks do not turn into firewoods after a couple of months i know at least 12-15 skaters from kilkeny who either go to waterford, or dublin just to go in a park,

Even kids at the age of 12, going on a train to dublin without letting there parents know,
    Wouldnt it be even better to have one closer to there home, and county council could even have a caretaker or security guard to watch the premises of the place, i wouldn mind paying 2-4 Euro a day to use the park or even better a monthly scheme that way the park is kept in good condidtion and somone has an additional job.

why should i go do something that doesnt take my interest eh?
    You shouldn't. I wouldn't either. Fk that. Most clubs are set up in exactly this way anyway. A town doesn't have the facilities so some enterprising individuals go do something about it.

And many 'adults' work and milk the grants system to their own ends as well, often to the benefit of no club or group other than themselves, so ignore anyone telling you that the government have better things to spend money on than your park, because guess what, they don't.

I would prefer to see my tax going to facilitate a few young lads skating and staying off the highways and byways of the town than subsidising an extra large plane seat so that some FAS exec's wide-arsed missus gets first class flight to go shopping in New York for clothes that are pretty enough to draw the attention away from her beefy, vulgar visage.

My advise to you (based on similar experience) is to go to the relevant authoroties cap-in-hand, and rather than jump up and down saying "WE WANT WE WANT!" Say to them "Sir, what do we have to do to realise our dream?" If the idea is a runner, you'll get a list of hoops to jump through. Jump through them and you're home and dry.

I would also suggest you have all the answers to all their awkward and trick questions worked out in advance of the meeting, and have something on paper.

(keep me posted on that ivory tower btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Money was allocated for a skatepark in Kilkenny, the main problem is that there hasn't been any agreement on where it's going to be.

It's a pity the idea of putting it in the Cloche was taken off the table. It would have been an ideal area for a skate park. And sufficiently close to the Garda station too. I say this because the biggest disadvantage of a skate park in the city centre is the sheer amount of trouble causing scum it will attract. Unfortunately, some teenagers in Kilkenny aren't too into the idea of taking up a hobby or doing some productive with their time.

But any time a circus or fun fair is in town it should be safe to skate.

• Advertisement

Lots of established sports and rec things have gotten grants in the past what's so wrong about these lads wanting the same treatment?

Its just his/her arguement I dont like. Attempt 2 gives me more of a reason to sign up.

Attempt 1:
    Basicly i need enough votes to this, as i have a maetting witht he county council in April,

About the park,
    BAD

Attempt 2:
    But one thing is that, i do agree with you there is stuff to do in kilkenny, but why should i go do something that doesnt take my interest eh?

And another thing is, Skateboarding parks do not turn into firewoods after a couple of months i know at least 12-15 skaters from kilkeny who either go to waterford, or dublin just to go in a park,

Even kids at the age of 12, going on a train to dublin without letting there parents know,
    Wouldnt it be even better to have one closer to there home, and county council could even have a caretaker or security guard to watch the premises of the place, i wouldn mind paying 2-4 Euro a day to use the park or even better a monthly scheme that way the park is kept in good condidtion and somone has an additional job.
    GOOD

Yes it would be better to have one closer to there home, but where exactly is it going to be or even where is it likely to be?

Basicly I've wrote to the County Council and got a reply last week about it, the want to meet with me with a partition of some sort to say there are people interested,

And im trying to get it in a remote Area havent decided, But thats not down to me thats down to The people of kilkenny city,
    But my sugggestions are:
    Near the Greyhound Track,
    On the grounds of The WaterShed,
    Or Around where the old swimming pool was,
    But im trying to avoid the city centre, as people have said you dont want that kind of attention , so further out of the centre the better,
    Please leave a suggestion,
    And i Appreciate the advice :):)

Not wanting to be pedantic or anything but if you do want to go to the council, be aware that it's a petition, not a partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I am not from Kilkenny but every fecking town in the country has the same problem with wayward teenagers and we are talking about past present and future but the more we move in the present and future the behavior gets worst and I don't believe the Celtic tiger has helped.
    To much money available but it kept the publicans and drug dealers an(same class)in a custom in which they thrive.Maybe I should mention parenting, religous orders the blame list goes on and on.
    Throw in a few do-gooders WHO HAVEN'T GOT A FECKING CLUE and everybody suffers INCLUDING TEENAGERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

I really think it's time the teens in Kilkenny got a skate park. I'm about double the age of most skaters but there's been talk of Kilkenny getting one since I was a teen. I know this would never happen but I really think the castle park would be a perfect location for the park, (right beside the existing playground). This should mean there's almost always adults around making it less likely to get vandalised and it would be closed at night time.

terenc wrote: »
    I am not from Kilkenny but every fecking town in the country has the same problem with wayward teenagers and we are talking about past present and future but the more we move in the present and future the behavior gets worst and I don't believe the Celtic tiger has helped.
    To much money available but it kept the publicans and drug dealers an(same class)in a custom in which they thrive.Maybe I should mention parenting, religous orders the blame list goes on and on.
    Throw in a few do-gooders WHO HAVEN'T GOT A FECKING CLUE and everybody suffers INCLUDING TEENAGERS.

I dont know what you are talking about, the last sentence should give me some idea of your point but really, I'm not seeing it. Are you trying to blame Religious Orders for Drug Dealers being kept in business? You cant move in the present and future.

I have a friend I'd like to introduce you to, Cohesion. You two should have a chat.

Please leave a suggestion,
    And i Appreciate the advice

If it were me I would form an official club, call it I dunno Kilkenny Rollerblading And BMX / Skateboarding (or KRABS for short).

Anyway, organise krabs (officially, just like you would a golf club / tennis club or what have you). Rent some cheap industrial space / an unused yard (there loads around at the mo') up in the industrial estate and set up krabs there. Invite local skaters and skaters from further afield to try krabs for themselves.

Maybe team up with another club who needs space.

Payment / membership and selling cans of coke cover your costs and everyone is happy.

Look this advise may not be viable at all from a cost point of view (I dunno what the going rate is for yardspace, and whether 30 kids paying a fiver a week would be enough to keep the whole thing going), but it's the direction I would be thinking in. Petitions are a waste of time in my opinion. And canvassing local politicians is a waste of time unless you have your homework done.

Get help from someones dad or sister or whatever who can do the maths and make a sensible pitch to the powers that be in the council who might be able to pay a years rent and insurance on the place to get ye up and running.

You need action if you hope to have krabs by the summer.

I would suggest that if you do have to write to the council etc., that you get somebody to proof-read what you've written and to check your spelling and grammar. I'm not trying to be horrible here but if you are trying to make a good impression, you need to seem as professional as possible.

When is this meeting taking place? In the Thosel?

fabbydabby wrote: »
    If it were me I would form an official club, call it I dunno Kilkenny Rollerblading And BMX / Skateboarding (or KRABS for short).

You need action if you hope to have krabs by the summer.

This is very true. They have krabs all around Carlow and everyone seems fairly happy with it and they tolerate it without any complaints. If Carlow has so many krabs then it's bound to spread to Kilkenny at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Rather than this thread choking on its own sarcasm, it would be nice for the next post to be somewhat sympathetic... and not sarcastically sympathetic either :)

Ah, Krabs, they'll have their day.

Moving on, the last I heard of this at town hall level was when the Kilkenny People reported that all councillors have voted for the park to go ahead in the Closh and that only the Fianna Fail councillors voted against it.

This was based on the objections of elderley residents of Walkin Street. I think it's valid when it comes to worries about potential damage to the graveyard but they've been tolerating circuses and fairgrounds for countless years so I don't get how much a skatepark is going to impose on them.

With the cinema and the Fair Green close by it seems like a valid city centre spot for the park. That being said, I agree with the assessment that the Castle Park would be absolutely perfect for the park. But if they're worried about the insurance liabilities of a few kids throwing a few snowballs then there's no chance they'll touch a skate park.

But hopefully they'll get Krabs some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Maybe team up with another club who needs space.

Payment / membership and selling cans of coke cover your costs and everyone is happy.

I'd be afraid that there'd be more than cans of coke being sold . . .;)

No, being serious, I think its a good idea andsupport it, better than having every skateboarded ending up down an alley someplace . . .

Would run the risk of getting wrecked though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

Great idea - kids these days need to be more active and stop spending so much time in front of a pc or tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Firetrap wrote: »
    I would suggest that if you do have to write to the council etc., that you get somebody to proof-read what you've written and to check your spelling and grammar. I'm not trying to be horrible here but if you are trying to make a good impression, you need to seem as professional as possible.

watch out the 'spelling & grammar gestapo' are out...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

In my opinion, it would be good for this to go ahead. I have zero interest in skateboarding but judging by the number that hang around the parade, there's some sort of demand. If a park were to be set up it would encourage others to take up the sport which in the long term would be good as anything that gets people playing sport is good. The money that would be spent on this will be spent on someone in a hospital who is suffering from a lifestyle related illness, prevention is better than cure.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Who's going to insure these skateboarders to skate board, great idea but I cant see any insurance company getting involved ( COMPO CULTURE) EASY MONEY FOR SOME PARENTS who couldn't gave a **** what their kids get up to and blame every body else for their behavour except themselves.
    What county council in their right minds would get in-voled in it when they have been stung so often in the playgrounds that they have set up.
    Maybe the people who want to set it up take liability for it :rolleyes::rolleyes: instead of the taxpayer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Who's going to insure these skateboarders to skate board, great idea but I cant see any insurance company getting involved ( COMPO CULTURE) EASY MONEY FOR SOME PARENTS who couldn't gave a **** what their kids get up to and blame every body else for their behavour except themselves.
    What county council in their right minds would get in-voled in it when they have been stung so often in the playgrounds that they have set up.
    Maybe the people who want to set it up take liability for it :rolleyes::rolleyes: instead of the taxpayer.

It's a valid point but would this not be the same as their current situation as in that they are skating on council property? Is their any chance of getting some kind of waver for using this as in a sign that says "use at your own risk" kind of thing? I know the point you're trying to make but all this suing and red tape blocks any half beneficial idea that promotes real-life interaction and activity. The current and future generations are and will be a bunch of sissys unless someone teaches them to man the fück up and stop blaming and suing. Falling over on your arse and doing temporary damage to yourself should be returned to being a normal part of living for we spend far to much time avoiding petty risk.

Here endith the rant, I wasn't having a go at you, I know you're just stating the obvious.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I dont know what you are talking about, the last sentence should give me some idea of your point but really, I'm not seeing it. Are you trying to blame Religious Orders for Drug Dealers being kept in business? You cant move in the present and future.

I have a friend I'd like to introduce you to, Cohesion. You two should have a chat.

Your full of ****e Ill have to step back back into tardis.

• Advertisement

Your full of ****e Ill have to step back back into tardis.

Well done, in post #28 I actually understood what you are saying and whats more I can see what your point is, whereas #15 as I said earlier is a load of crap, and unfortunatly you have relapsed as this one above is equally a load of crap.

Advertisement