Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKATEBOARDING PARK

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a boards war!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Easy now girls... wouldn't want anyone getting hurt from the ban hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jeez, we complain that the youngsters won't get up off their arses and do anything for themselves, and when one tries to do so, they get a right old mauling!
    Threadhead wrote: »
    That being said, I agree with the assessment that the Castle Park would be absolutely perfect for the park. But if they're worried about the insurance liabilities of a few kids throwing a few snowballs then there's no chance they'll touch a skate park.
    It would be ideal, the more so as the overnight lockdown would prevent vandalism from drunken louts.

But whatever hope of getting the Co. Council on board, the Castle is controlled by the OPW, and as you quite rightly point out they are mega-paranoid about liability ... I doubt there's any chance they would bite, tbh.
    The current and future generations are and will be a bunch of sissys unless someone teaches them to man the fück up and stop blaming and suing. Falling over on your arse and doing temporary damage to yourself should be returned to being a normal part of living for we spend far to much time avoiding petty risk.
    In fairness, skateboarding culture tends to still have the fall down > get back up > mop up the blood and get back on the board attitude.

Though whether that would survive the involvement of the Co. Council, and certain parents seeing an opportunity for compensation, is ofc another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Jeez, we complain that the youngsters won't get up off their arses and do anything for themselves, and when one tries to do so, they get a right old mauling!

It would be ideal, the more so as the overnight lockdown would prevent vandalism from drunken louts.

But whatever hope of getting the Co. Council on board, the Castle is controlled by the OPW, and as you quite rightly point out they are mega-paranoid about liability ... I doubt there's any chance they would bite, tbh.

In fairness, skateboarding culture tends to still have the fall down > get back up > mop up the blood and get back on the board attitude.

Though whether that would survive the involvement of the Co. Council, and certain parents seeing an opportunity for compensation, is ofc another question.
    afaik alot of parks have you sign insurance waivers before you can skate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

afaik alot of parks have you sign insurance waivers before you can skate them.

That would probably make sense although how could it work, because I thought you cant do something like that with someone under 18? Maybe Im wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

a parent / guardian would have to sign a waiver if under 18 - problem in this country is there is always someone looking to sue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done, in post #28 I actually understood what you are saying and whats more I can see what your point is, whereas #15 as I said earlier is a load of crap, and unfortunatly you have relapsed as this one above is equally a load of crap.

All am saying is what public body will get in voled with skateboarding because of insurance costs and the culture surrounding injury e:)asy money at this moment in time.. But why don't you get a group together and source the insurance (do gooders insurance):rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Wont cost me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Looks like Kilkenny Skate Club might have a presence in the Kilkenny St. Patricks Day Parade this year!!!

From Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Gigilowgonewild

Hi all Sorry i was unable to keep you up to date just busy with Junior cert and stuff,
    Anyway,
    Me and my friends went to the meeting last week ,
    We met up with Andrew Mcguinness And Betty Manning,
    They told us the park was going to be built,
    However they are having problems on actually chooseing a location still,
    And trying to get an insurance grant out of the goverment is like trying to get blood from a stone,
    But i wont give up till there is a good enough reason on why they shouldnt put a park in the city of kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But i wont give up till there is a good enough reason on why they shouldnt put a park in the city of kilkenny.

Cause it'll cost them money and your hardly going to contribute to it ?:D

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Cause it'll cost them money and your hardly going to contribute to it ?:D

That's a terrible reason,

Probably said with in a 50% tongue-in-cheek 50% reality kind of way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Probably said with in a 50% tongue-in-cheek 50% reality kind of way.

Indeed it was :)

None the less its a pretty valid reason, you see if the council spend money on say a swimming pool they can make money off it by charging pay as you go rates or memberships.

All things built require money to build and maintain them in a usable condition, the same applys to a skateboard park....how would you suggest the council raise the money to build and maintain it?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed it was :)

None the less its a pretty valid reason, you see if the council spend money on say a swimming pool they can make money off it by charging pay as you go rates or memberships.

All things built require money to build and maintain them in a usable condition, the same applys to a skateboard park....how would you suggest the council raise the money to build and maintain it?

Well perhaps, the hire on people, and charge people for using the park?
    But if i thought they could get a recreational grant :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think the skaters' arguement to the councellors / government is that the skate park would keep them off the streets where they would otherwise be street hustlin', medium pimpin', sellin' crack, rollin in a Benzo with Lorenzo and getting up to other ghetto related mischief, and as such it is a worthwhile investment from the government's point of view.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I think the skaters' arguement to the councellors / government is that the skate park would keep them off the streets where they would otherwise be street hustlin', medium pimpin', sellin' crack, rollin in a Benzo with Lorenzo and getting up to other ghetto related mischief, and as such it is a worthwhile investment from the government's point of view.

Yeah they tried that argument in Waterford too years back,

They got their skate park in the people's park and they still continue to skateboard on the likes of the millennium plaza and outside the theatre royle.

The amount of damage they’ve continued to do to the plaza over the years is beyond a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That's the way I feel when I see scummers knacker drinking in places that aren't the canal. That's their designated area and when they drink outside it, it's just ruining it for the rest of us.

If the skaters were too continue to use public areas after a skate park is constructed the skate park should immediately be closed and turned into a Dunnes Stores. That'll learn them to appreciate local amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I think it's a good idea, I know a few people that have to travel to Waterford every few weeks to skate. It ends up costing alot between petrol and food. The should try it out and see if it works if it doesn't they can just take it down again...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The problem is that this "Teens have nothing to keep them occupied" bull really winds me up. Its a load of shít, it really is because there is many things that anyone can do if they put there minds to it...
    You don't remember being a teenager do yo? You can do skating if you put your mind to it except in public places that piss off other people.

Ireland has very poor facilities for teenagers, and that lack of activities and facilities leads to youth drinking, and vandalism. A skakepark will need security to prevent the issues you mention, and it's good to raise those issues ahead of time, however, it's totally naive to suggest that building infrastructure and facilities for various age groups in society is a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Ireland has very poor facilities for teenagers
    What facilities would YOU bring to the town, other than the skate park (which would occupy maybe 5% of teenagers or less) and Dunnes Stores??

The 'poor facilities arguement' is blx. I am sorry but it is. I could go on all day listing the clubs that we have in Kilkenny, from athletics and cycling to film making and photography. Get up off your ringpiece and join one.

(Or else go out and get locked and vandalise something. Because that's what teenagers who still can't find the right club do, apparently).

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    You don't remember being a teenager do yo? You can do skating if you put your mind to it except in public places that piss off other people.

Ireland has very poor facilities for teenagers, and that lack of activities and facilities leads to youth drinking, and vandalism. A skakepark will need security to prevent the issues you mention, and it's good to raise those issues ahead of time, however, it's totally naive to suggest that building infrastructure and facilities for various age groups in society is a bad thing.

I'm confused,
    You state above that their are "poor facilities for teenagers" this "leads to youth drinking, and vandalism" yet you then go on to state that a "skakepark will need security to prevent the issues you mention".

But if the facilities have been provided why would the teenagers vandalise it?, surely the fact that they now have something to do means they won't destory things because they'll have stuff to do?

Your whole statement makes no sense,

There are plenty of things for teenagers to do in Ireland and Kilkenny, however if some teenagers can't be arsed enough to join clubs and take part then throwing even more money at them isn't going to fix it.

Kilkenny has more things to do for teenagers than arguably anywhere else in Ireland outside of Dublin. The only thing it doesn't have and needs is a skate park. Outside of this, there's no excuse for vandalism or any amount of bollocks acting around town.

There's the best of sporting facilities in Kilkenny, everything from hurling to archery to mixed martial arts are catered for. This is a reason why Kilkenny has such a high output in terms of professional athletes.

In terms of arts, there are two fantastic youth theatres, the only production company in Ireland dedicated to teenagers making films, a host of all ages gigs, battle of the bands and recording opportunities, the kilkenny youth orchestra, a local arts magazine dedicated to young poets and writers etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum, I could go on and on and on.

A skate park is definitely needed, without doubt. But any teenager in Kilkenny who gripes about having nothing to do should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

If you want to go around acting the idiot in public, you'll find a way to do it regardless of what options are available to you. And that doesn't just apply to teenagers either.

The 'poor facilities arguement' is blx. I am sorry but it is. I could go on all day listing the clubs that we have in Kilkenny, from athletics and cycling to film making and photography. Get up off your ringpiece and join one.
    Threadhead wrote: »
    Kilkenny has more things to do for teenagers than arguably anywhere else in Ireland outside of Dublin. The only thing it doesn't have and needs is a skate park. Outside of this, there's no excuse for vandalism or any amount of bollocks acting around town.

Yes, join your local cycling club :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Threadheads post is a good reminder of all we do have for a place the size of Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Personally i get great satisfaction seeing skateboarders using parade and bank square .Maybe there's message there for elders and current generation that we have failed our next generation .With all millions spent it looks like concrete mart.Dig it up now lads and put fountain in it that would make it look even better lol and spend more money on it lol.Its a joke but its not really because the money spent on this project and others around Ireland what did it achieve nothing and the way the Parade was ,well wasnt it fine besides the toliets .They should have been knocked and rebuilt ,period.
    A message to young people ,well done at least you are getting some satisfaction out of it ,and something for you all to consider will you make same mistakes when you grow up and take the reigns off current elite lol.

I would much prefer a concrete filled monstrosity I can walk through rather than a concrete filled monstrosity that's a taxi rank. The Parade was definitely not fine the way it was. I've very few problems with the new parade and even less problems with the skateboarders that are using it more than anyone. It still doesn't detract from the fact that a seperate skatepark is needed.

From the last post, when you write 'same mistake' you mean lack of fountain right? A fountain would look great there but people would still skate around it. That'll learn the elite. I hope that when I get older I have the sense of fountain promotion and preservation that will benefit a younger generation. I've been failed by the current elite generation who have not instilled in me a love for fountains. I look at the fountain in the Rose Garden of Kilkenny Castle and a freezing cold hatred fills my heart.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I agree that whatever you make of the parade as it stands, it certainly wasn't 'fine' before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

What facilities would YOU bring to the town, other than the skate park (which would occupy maybe 5% of teenagers or less) and Dunnes Stores??

(Or else go out and get locked and vandalise something. Because that's what teenagers who still can't find the right club do, apparently).
    To be fair none of these facilities were just there for people to join. At some stage someone had to get up, go raise money and supply the facilities so people could get up off their ringpiece and join one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Licksy wrote: »
    I agree that whatever you make of the parade as it stands, it certainly wasn't 'fine' before :)

What was wrong with Parade before ?
    The point is though besides your statement ,we just didnt have money to do the Parade up and why should we as taxpayer pay for something we didnt want .The only difference I can see is negative .I know for fact traffic warden is giving out fines even with tickets just out of date to tourists,seen it myself .This town and country needs to cop on ,giving parking fines to people on Castle Road ,aka TOURISTS who put food on your table and put roof over your head !!!!
    So was Parade ok before yes it was .I never heard a tourists complaining about condition of the Parade and I used to walk a lot in Castle Park ,offer camera shot for tourists outside Castle and every single one I met was thrilled with lead up to Castle old walls and footpaths never ever bothered any millions who went through Parade.
    So yes it was fine before ,waste of our money on concrete mart and fair play to skateboarders .I hope those responsible for passing it through and making the decisions on it hold their head in shame as they walk by empty mart every day .I'm not going to get into taxi debate thats not even relevant,never was or would be if it was still the same .Cop on Kilkenny and Ireland wake up smell coffee and stop defending corruption!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder Greeks are calling us wooses ,WE all of us bloody well are too :(.

• Advertisement

Have to disagree with you Patrick, it wasn't fine before and I think it's a wonderful open space leading to the jewel in our crown. It's a wonderful walkway for tourists to stroll to the castle instead of going through a car park. Skateboarders, cyclists and other groups use it as a meeting point, because it's very well known and there's plenty of space there to gather a group. I think the fact the skateboarders are using it is great as skateboarding has a place amongst the more traditional sports.

Advertisement