Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKATEBOARDING PARK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Have to disagree with you Patrick, it wasn't fine before and I think it's a wonderful open space leading to the jewel in our crown. It's a wonderful walkway for tourists to stroll to the castle instead of going through a car park. Skateboarders, cyclists and other groups use it as a meeting point, because it's very well known and there's plenty of space there to gather a group. I think the fact the skateboarders are using it is great as skateboarding has a place amongst the more traditional sports.

Life is full of choices and you're entitled to your opinion ,its an expensive jewel in the crown for Kilkenny.I hope its worth it as we will all be paying it back for many years to come .When the Castle was done up in the 80's it was frowned on and it I'm sure has got return by now ,how it all pans out remains to be seen and in meantime hats off to skateboarders may they enjoy it as long as possible and with wide open spaces I pray noone gets hurt late at night on weekends ,with fights etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I don't think gurriers need a specific open public space to cause trouble, I'd imagine the parade is actually easier to police than up the lanes and narrow streets. In the past Marys Lane was a popular rumble spot.

If we do bring back hanging then there's really no better designed space for viewing, outside the courthouse might be a bit restrictive for onlookers because of traffic. We may get value for money yet!

catbear wrote: »
    I don't think gurriers need a specific open public space to cause trouble, I'd imagine the parade is actually easier to police than up the lanes and narrow streets. In the past Marys Lane was a popular rumble spot.

If we do bring back hanging then there's really no better designed space for viewing, outside the courthouse might be a bit restrictive for onlookers because of traffic. We may get value for money yet!

it never stopped mayhem that I heard before on Parade ,and with taxi drivers there ! so without taxi drivers we shall wait and see ,as for cameras theyre useless with group of hoodies as was evident last weekend on Maudlin St .
    I doubt very much the police will be in open space patrolling on their own would you ?
    As for hanging if thats what we need to bring back then thatll keep the Earl of Ormond happy looking up from below :)

Isn't the last Earl of Ormond dead?

I disagree with you about showing favoritism regarding just out of date parking tickets. Favoritism is the reason why Sean Fitzpatrick has his liberty after admitting years of audit deception through temporary loans of millions, yet you or I would face jail if we refused to pay a few hundred for a license.

I think you will find that some people find that favoritism aspect of Irish culture repulsive.

Open public spaces are not the cause of violence, but social iniquity can foster social violence.

I prefer the new parade to the old one, car parks are not public spaces.

I disagree with you about showing favoritism regarding just out of date parking tickets. Favoritism is the reason why Sean Fitzpatrick has his liberty after admitting years of audit deception through temporary loans of millions, yet you or I would face jail if we refused to pay a few hundred for a license.

I think you will find that some people find that favoritism aspect of Irish culture repulsive.

Open public spaces are not the cause of violence, but social iniquity can foster social violence.

I prefer the new parade to the old one, car parks are not public spaces.

Yes Earl Of Ormond is not alive anymore good observation :)

I'm not saying there should be favoritism ,if you read my post properly you would see point I was making is Tourism is backbone of Kilkenny city practically only industry we have now with property development gone for probably decade or more .We should be bending over backwards to get tourists into country and county and giving a parking ticket to rented car for any tourist is ridiculous and will have adverse effect on tourist industry in Kilkenny and in rest of Ireland.
    You obviously havent been out late on Parade over last 10 years and seen fights break out there.
    I'm glad you have your social iniquities in order fair play to you o moral one !:)

• Advertisement

I agree with you on trying to do more for tourism, cheaper hotel deals would be good. We had a thread recently looking for a room over a weekend, very little under €100 a night. Better discounting would help.

I'm not sure what you're picking up from my message but I never said said there wasn't any violence there, I did say it was easier to police than other areas.

Plus, what do mean when you say "O moral one", what are you telling me?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

In relation to the Skatepark;

Unfortunately the project for a skatepark in Kilkenny has been in the pipeline for over twenty years with little or no success in reaching its goal. Of course the majority of the problem can be linked to the opinions of Skateboarding in Kilkenny; which some of the replies in this thread have proven.

However in the past few months there have been a number of positive steps in providing a skatepark in the city. Some of which I cannot mention here. (red tape, blah blah).

With the establishment of USK - Urban Sports Kilkenny; there have been a surprising number of people interested in the sport and the provision of a skatepark for the youth of Kilkenny.

We are not naive, we know this is going to be an uphill struggle from the start; but it is better to try and do something about it instead of sitting back and complaining about what Kilkenny doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

p wrote: »
    You don't remember being a teenager do yo?

Well yes I do. 90 years 5 months ago.:rolleyes:

How old do you think I am?

There is no-one going around calling themselves that but isnt that title part of someone elses title now?
    ...car parks are not public spaces.

Thats true.

During the canvassing in next election which shall be soon I hope some politicians in this town fall accidentally under skateboard now that would be fun to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh sorry about your pension oh and your head !! rofl.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

I can think of many places to put it but one springs to mind in particular on top of canices tower would be a good place to put it
    ye poor teens ooh we havent anything to do god love ye
    when I was young (a long time ago ) I always had something to do
    so stop moaning
    While were on the subject on petitions will we start one so that all the people who lost their jobs recently can get one in the council

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

pat k wrote: »
    I can think of many places to put it but one springs to mind in particular on top of canices tower would be a good place to put it
    ye poor teens ooh we havent anything to do god love ye
    when I was young (a long time ago ) I always had something to do
    so stop moaning
    While were on the subject on petitions will we start one so that all the people who lost their jobs recently can get one in the council
    Helpful old man is helpful :rolleyes:

Being proactive about trying to achieve a goal is not moaning. You're the moan pat k as your post ads nothing but a "moan" to this thread.

If you feel aggrieved then campaign for as a "anti skate boarding park". I doubt you'll get far with it though, moaners don't listen even to eachother.

When i was a teenager (a long time ago) I would have loved a skate park, if you were not into GAA, there weren't many other options.

You sound frustrated pat K, taking it out on teenagers is pointless. It's not their fault if their show of ambition annoys you. If they succeed will your life be worse and will your lack of personal ambition be any less?

As for the council jobs, isn't there a hiring embargo at the moment?

Come on, give us another moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

<":<{}|?+_))(&^%**^%#$@!!!!!!!

pat k wrote: »
    <":<{}|?+_))(&^%**^%#$@!!!!!!!
    Nicely said!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Threadhead wrote: »
    Kilkenny has more things to do for teenagers than arguably anywhere else in Ireland outside of Dublin. The only thing it doesn't have and needs is a skate park. Outside of this, there's no excuse for vandalism or any amount of bollocks acting around town.

There's the best of sporting facilities in Kilkenny, everything from hurling to archery to mixed martial arts are catered for. This is a reason why Kilkenny has such a high output in terms of professional athletes.

In terms of arts, there are two fantastic youth theatres, the only production company in Ireland dedicated to teenagers making films, a host of all ages gigs, battle of the bands and recording opportunities, the kilkenny youth orchestra, a local arts magazine dedicated to young poets and writers etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum, I could go on and on and on.

A skate park is definitely needed, without doubt. But any teenager in Kilkenny who gripes about having nothing to do should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€s

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

i was just looking there the other day at the car park at eurospar, and thought the end space past the bottle bank, would be ideal for a skate park, it's railed off not in use has security 24/7 has doctors right beside it just in case anything might happen, has shop's the lot it far enough away from the two nearest estate's lintownhall and lakeside, but probably like everything else in this city they will want to put it on the other side of town:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think they should use that space to put a new entrance to the carpark, and have a one-way system in place. The layout and flow planning in the existing car park is poor to say the least, you can't turn left into a row in the car park if there's someone coming out so you have to stop, blocking up all the traffic- leading to chaos at busy times. Par for the course in this town really.

But what that place would be really suitable for is a Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Heard some (as of yet unsubstantiated) stories of the guards confiscating skateboards from people over the weekend? Apparently a skateboarding ban is being put into place in the city centre.

Anyone else here of anything along these lines?

Threadhead wrote: »
    Heard some (as of yet unsubstantiated) stories of the guards confiscating skateboards from people over the weekend? Apparently a skateboarding ban is being put into place in the city centre.

Anyone else here of anything along these lines?

There has been a ban implemented on the Parade itself. I haven't heard of boards being confiscated from the members; however the guards are taking details from the skaters.

There has been warnings of summons, but other than that I don't think it has been put into force just yet.

At the moment the skaters are not breaking any laws because the space is public property. However there are rumours of a by law vote being initiated in the city to change that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At the moment the skaters are not breaking any laws because the space is public property. However there are rumours of a by law vote being initiated in the city to change that.

FANTASTIC!

During the next few days I plan on bringing a slitter and hurl with me down to the parade and hitting it around the place with a few friends.

Sure its public space, oh I know a few other people that could also play football a maybe even baseball on it too

Sorted
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

What about a by-law that confiscates every fartbox scobe-wagon that causes noise pollution, breaks the speed limit or just simply creates general annoyance due to the fact that they are driven primarily by f'king scumbag c'nts?

These are infinitely more annoying and many times more dangerous than kids on skateboards in fairness. A kid on a skateboard has never made me swerve dangerously to avoid a fatal crash, or overtaken me on a full white line or tried to race me in a Colt. A fking Mitsubishi COLT! (wtf?!)

I can hear them racing on the ring piece road as I type. I would like them to stop. (By colliding with a large stationary object).

In fairness all skaters are is a slight (very slight in comparison) nuisance compared to the real plague that infects our town. If the by-law made them give up the stupid haircuts and upspeaking faux yankee twang I would be more than satisfied. They can keep their skateboards.

Or instead put a set o alloys on em an tint the windows boi and maybe some no fear stickers deadly and a k&n induction kit and a farty exhaust and then they'll really get the respect they deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I don't see what the point is with all this "we want a skatepark" garbage. It's only going to be abandoned after a few months/years just like the bowling ally which the same people complained that they didn't have!

Most of these people are in there late teens/early twenties anyway, surely they have better things to do with their time like joining me in the search for a job! :o

Cabaal wrote: »
    FANTASTIC!

During the next few days I plan on bringing a slitter and hurl with me down to the parade and hitting it around the place with a few friends.

Sure its public space, oh I know a few other people that could also play football a maybe even baseball on it too

Sorted
    :rolleyes:

Actually people are already doing that, minus the baseball match, yet nothing is said to them? A little unfair perhaps.

The only reason the Parade is used is because of the surface. Other than that it wouldn't be used. The skaters are not trying to be a nuisance, they simply want somewhere they can skate.

Kilkenny has many pitches for football, rugby and hurling; but nothing for Skating.

USK don't want the skaters in the way of the public, however they have nowhere else to go.

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I don't see what the point is with all this "we want a skatepark" garbage. It's only going to be abandoned after a few months/years just like the bowling ally which the same people complained that they didn't have!

Most of these people and in there late teens/early twenties anyway, surely they have better things to do with their time like joining me in the search for a job! :o

No offence Blaine, but that is rich coming from someone who doesn't have any interest in the sport. I have no interest in hurling but that doesn't mean the hurlers shouldn't have a place to go.

The Skatepark project has been going for twenty years, the demand is always there, yet it is never taken seriously.

Perhaps Kilkenny never had the critical mass required to make it happen, when I had knees that didn't crack everytime I knelt Greenshill was a popular spot for skateboard racing. Many broken arms but everyone expected that. There were flip all cars though too.

I don't know why there's such inertia from those whose responsibility it is to encourage younger members of this society develop their interests. I really believe it's wasted time waiting for local authority to do anything about it, just do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Skatepark project has been going for twenty years, the demand is always there, yet it is never taken seriously.

Its clear that enough demand doesn't exist however.

It certainly hasn't reached critical mass and its clear that the people that want a skatebooard park can't get themselves together to organise an actual compaign that will be noticed.

You have to remember that a skateboard park costs money to create and maintain, the people that want it are likely not tax payers (as in working) and if they can't get organised enough to start a noticable compaign then they won't ever be taken seriously.

Until then skateboarding will be seeing as some fad and honestly I don't blame people for seeing it that way.

None of the above however gives skateboarders the right to damage property by hoping skateboards up on it, in addition if the Gardai are telling you to move on then you should move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I pretty much disagree with most of what you're saying. The only thing I agree with is that there is no excuse for damage to public property. As for the Guards, they have no problems with scobes, beggars and criminals loitering outside the post office and banks on a weekly basis being a nuisance to people so I don't think a few skaters should be an overwhelming problem.

There has been a campaign in place for over 20 years. There has been an allocation of 30,000 from the Council for a skate park to be built. A skate park was already built but because it was outside the city it proved difficult for a lot of teenagers to access. This skatepark had proved popular when it was open. The only obstacle has been finding a suitable location wherein the locals are happy for it to go ahead. To say there isn't enough demand is laughable.

And to say that the people demanding the skate park are not employed and it will be used by people not paying taxes is absolutely sickening in it's ignorance. The taxes that I pay are also used to help bankroll a pretty large organisation called the GAA. Should young hurlers and football players not have access to facilities because they're not currently paying taxes? Should we not encourage and promote any young people to partake in any sports or outdoor activities lest the little non tax paying wasters cause an eyesore? God forbid our taxes contribute to facilities for young people.

You talk to any councillor in this town from the past 20 years or visit the Town Hall and look at the detailed and well developed plans for a skatepark, and you come back and tell us that this 'fad' hasn't had an organised campaign.

It certainly hasn't reached critical mass and its clear that the people that want a skatebooard park can't get themselves together to organise an actual compaign that will be noticed.

You have to remember that a skateboard park costs money to create and maintain, the people that want it are likely not tax payers (as in working) and if they can't get organised enough to start a noticable compaign then they won't ever be taken seriously.

Until then skateboarding will be seeing as some fad and honestly I don't blame people for seeing it that way.

None of the above however gives skateboarders the right to damage property by hoping skateboards up on it, in addition if the Gardai are telling you to move on then you should move on.

The demand is there, but the process is slow.

It is rather surprising how condescending your reply is, you're jumping to conclusions about the campaign and the people involved. Not all skaters are tax leeches; and just because every single skater isn't working doesn't mean the sport doesn't deserve a facility.

www.kilkennyskatepark.com
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/USK-Urban-Sports-Kilkenny/398257695055?v=wall&ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I live with a fully qualified carpenter and another guy who's been working for as long as I know him who would say differently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Well in fairness, money is tight at the moment and I can think of a thousand things that money would be more wisely spent on. Look at state of some of the roads and residential areas in Kilkenny...

Advertisement