Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKATEBOARDING PARK

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Cabaal, we're all taxpayers through VAT!

I hope that one positive can come of this property bust and that is the availability of suitable sites for public interest groups.

It is important though that a strong personality is present.

Others mentioned special interest groups like film makers and cartoon saloon but I'm sure that none of them would disagree that if were not for Mike Kelly getting the ball rolling nearly twenty years ago up in desert hall then Kilkenny would not even have a annual film school.

Arts week was started by voluntary committee of like minded people.

Cat Laughs was a hugely successful offshoot of Bickerstaff Theatre company that set up out of a shed in the back of Cleeres pub.

All the groups I've mentioned above grew through times of economic challenge. It is right that a nation should spend on developing itself in recessions, the current government has diverted that wealth of the nation towards zombie banks when it should be spending it in society.

All of the groups above, although special in their pursuits, needed initial funding but all of them created great business for the community since then.

Some of them used community employment schemes to establish themselves and now that we again in time of surplus labour there may be oppertunity in the development of special interest sports such as skateboarding.

Think of New Zealand, far from everyone and everywhere, yet they are famous for the bungee jump and zorbing. It's a matter of just doing it and not being afraid of failure.

The government has given up on this society, it doesn't mean we should give up on ourselves. Rather than let them turn people against eachother, taxpayer versus unemployed etc. turn back on them and show them how useless they are by going ahead and doing your own thing.

Apologies for the long post, I've become rather intolerant of pointless negativity about what is an obvious opportunity.

As was said in the film, "Either get busy living, or get busy dying!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

One of the reasons why I'm behind the skate park is that for every man, woman and child in Ireland, over 1,000 is spent annually by the HSE on lifestyle related illnesses. I personally believe that a chunk of this money would be better spent on the prevention of such illnesses, keeping people out of our over-crowded hospitals and keeping our nation healthy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear, you've provided fantastic examples such as young irish film makers etc but do you know what they all have in common which the skateboard "campaign" clearly does not?.

People that talk less and actually can get stuff done, if a skate park campaign is going 20 years then clearly the wrong people are heading this campaign, either they are clueless in what they are doing, are going the wrong way about things, are not actually doing anything or they are "selling" the wrong image.

Until this changes you simply won't be getting a skate park as the campaign will remain seriously flawed.

Captain Havoc makes valid point about the health of people and I agree with many aspects of this, if it gets more teenagers and kids out and about doing exercise instead of sitting infront of a games console then thats good.

But the image that is portrayed by skate boarders to the masses is they are a nuisance, damage property, waste gardai resources etc. Why would anybody want to spend money on such people?

What you need to do is change that image, you want to be seen as a active part of the community, something that’s a benefit and that can be good for kids. If you want this image changed YOU have to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, money is tight at the moment and I can think of a thousand things that money would be more wisely spent on. Look at state of some of the roads and residential areas in Kilkenny...

Some of the roads are mental, this is true, but talk to the council about putting the money where it is needed.

USK have offered to go to other sources for money and raising it ourselves through fund raising; we simply need the council behind us for a location.

Cabaal wrote: »
    What you need to do is change that image, you want to be seen as a active part of the community, something that’s a benefit and that can be good for kids. If you want this image changed YOU have to change it.

We have been trying to change the public image in regards to Skateboarders with community events. Again, we want to host community events but there is minor support towards our goals because of the negative outlook on the group.

I'm not saying all the skaters are angels, that would be ignorant of me, but I'm saying Skateboarders deserve somewhere to enhance their sport, like any other sport organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You're right about all that Cabaal except don't expect anything from me, it's a few decades since I fell off my last skateboard!

Best of luck with your efforts SweetEmpathy, I remember a decade ago Spraoi moved to new premises which was part funded by dept of Health as it was located in a high unemployment area where there was little or no other resources for youth. The more angles you can come at this the better.

I know our property obsessed politicos still believe the wealth of the nation is in a corrupt banking system so public funding is probably miniscule but appealing to private funding may be a growth area. Businesses aimed at the democraphic into skateboarding may see it as a great opportunity for advertising.

The best revenge you get on anyone is to better yourself despite the efforts of your detractors. Perhaps a one off competition with international skateboarders in some place like the hub may actually sway peoples minds.

I know that sounds expensive but there's no better time to start a new enterprise than when even the begrudgers need you to succeed!

catbear wrote: »
    You're right about all that Cabaal except don't expect anything from me, it's a few decades since I fell off my last skateboard!

Best of luck with your efforts SweetEmpathy, I remember a decade ago Spraoi moved to new premises which was part funded by dept of Health as it was located in a high unemployment area where there was little or no other resources for youth. The more angles you can come at this the better.

I know our property obsessed politicos still believe the wealth of the nation is in a corrupt banking system so public funding is probably miniscule but appealing to private funding may be a growth area. Businesses aimed at the democraphic into skateboarding may see it as a great opportunity for advertising.

The best revenge you get on anyone is to better yourself despite the efforts of your detractors. Perhaps a one off competition with international skateboarders in some place like the hub may actually sway peoples minds.

I know that sounds expensive but there's no better time to start a new enterprise than when even the begrudgers need you to succeed!

We are certainly doing our best. There are some plans in the pipeline to bring all the Skateboarding organisations in the South East together, so we can support each other in what what needs to be done.

Some businesses have shown interest in the project, especially if we get ourselves off the ground with a "home base".

Fingers crossed that the future will bring opportunities for the sport, the council don't seen to understand the money a skating event can actually generate for a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BigZ

The skatepark debate in Kilkenny has gone on for nearly 20 years. The rate limiting factor has been political hesitance. There was an opportunity to get funding from the then Minister of Environment, Dick Roche, about 5 years ago but the council fumbled and missed the funding. USK was set up this year with the help of Mick Greene who also helped get the club into the Paddys day parade. The USK group are not naively asking for money for a skatepark - they are actively looking into every option to ensure that young people in Kilkenny are actively supported in their interests - in this case, Skateboarding.

Exactly, the campaign has been going for years, however there have been road blocks shutting it down at every turn; whether it is public disturbance, businesses intervening, or simply lack of information on the sport.

Skateboarding is not considered a sport in Kilkenny, it is a nuisance. USK are trying to change that outlook; to give the members a chance to excel in their chosen sport.

Advertisement