Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afsana Restaurant in Temple Bar (Dublin).

Options
  • 28-01-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

The spouse and I called in here on spec having walked down from Parnell St in search of an Indian restaurant. The usual offerings were on the menu and it was slightly cheaper than another Indian a little further along. As someone who grew up eating curries made with authentic ingredients or Bolst's or Patak's products, I learned years ago not to expect much from so-called Indian restaurants in Ireland. (By the way, the staff in Afsana are Pakistani but no one seems to be worried by small matters such as national borders.) I had samosas to start, apparently made with filo pastry: tasty but oily. My lamb madras was enjoyable, as was the shared saag dansak. The spouse enjoyed his courses, too. The food was good, if not authentic, and the service was pleasant, but they have cut corners on the decor (a very cheap, corner-cutting finish that doesn't compete well with other eateries in the area). Good value, though: 2 starters, 3 mains and 2 beers each cost Eu59. We will go back but won't dress up.

Anyone else been here?

You guys should check it out if you're hungry and need some cheap semi-quality good food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not the nicest indian in town, i would rather lick my own arse and call it chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Seems that it is pretty difficult to find a good authentic south-asian restaurant in Dublin (dunno about anywhere else in the country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Saadyst wrote: »
    Seems that it is pretty difficult to find a good authentic south-asian restaurant in Dublin (dunno about anywhere else in the country).

tandoori bite on richmond street south is my favourite on the south inner city, ive tried loads and they arent half as good as it

has anyone tried the indian all you can eat beside jimmy chungs on eden quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Im a murgh tikka starter man myself and usually accompanied by a chicken biryani. Havent been in there but the prices seem ok. I usually get mine at 'Indie Spice' in swords. Having lived in birmingham for years i thought i had tasted some of the best indian food around (literally 100's of balti houses with a large indian population), but the stuff they serve up at 'indie spice' is the best ive had. And for the quality its very competitive. They do deals all the time, last time i was there it was a free bottle of a decent wine if the bill went over 40 euro.

Edit
    >> They also deliver (no, i dont work for them but il happily give them a plug, great service all round).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Dublin City forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hellomoto wrote: »
    By the way, the staff in Afsana are Pakistani but no one seems to be worried by small matters such as national borders
    The staff of most Indian restaurants seem to be from Pakistan, Nepal or Bangladesh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hellomoto

Personally I suggest you guys to try Afsana Restaurant (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=afsana+restaurant&fb=1&gl=ie&hq=afsana+restaurant&hnear=Dublin,+Co.+Dublin+City&cid=13514672647615542593)

I've been in many different Indian restaurants, but out of many this is one of them that really stood out for me. The waiters and overall feeling you get when you enter makes you feel like home. Perhaps its that catchy repetitive music or maybe just me.

An overall rating from me,

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

I think India Link in Beaumont is pretty descent but tbh, as another poster said, these restaurants don't even compare to authentic indian food! They are all westernised indian dishes.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For Indian/Pakistani, I'd still leave town and travel out to Kinara in Dollymount.
    http://www.kinara.ie
    I've never really found one I liked as much as Kinara.

spurious wrote: »
    For Indian/Pakistani, I'd still leave town and travel out to Kinara in Dollymount.
    http://www.kinara.ie
    I've never really found one I liked as much as Kinara.

They're pretty expensive, I'm a cheap kinda guy (no really, I am). I'll check them out over the weekend and see how they taste.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the double bump but just got back from Afsana a couple of minutes ago, I feel...quite fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

T Good value, though: 2 starters, 3 mains and 2 beers each cost Eu59.

is that good value?!:eek:

milly4ever wrote: »
    is that good value?!:eek:

Well seeing as the the big portions (all breast chickens same price as legs) that I got, pretty much.
    If you went to any top class restaurant, that would probably be at-least 100+EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Well seeing as the the big portions (all breast chickens same price as legs) that I got, pretty much.
    If you went to any top class restaurant, that would probably be at-least 100+EU
    The place sounds good, i am just shocked by the prices! i go to an indian restaurant when i'm over in london and it's £30 for two people, never realised dublin would be so much more expensive. Comparing it to the other places you mentioned it's a lot better value though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Well the four beers probably cost E20, so probably E39 for the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Am I the only one spotting a shill here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

milly4ever wrote: »
    i go to an indian restaurant when i'm over in london and it's £30 for two people, never realised dublin would be so much more expensive

One of the huge advantages of past empirical misdemeanors. Cheap ethnic food. I was blown away by the Indian and Pakistan food in London and the value. Amazing. Kinara is stunning. Expensive but really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kinara's early bird is 19.95 for a starter, main course, rice and naan and a dessert.
    That's not expensive in most people's books.
    Admittedly, it's a lot dearer a la carte and later in the evening.

Still nyommy though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Am I the only one spotting a shill here?
    No - it was obvious from the first post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Most Indian restraunts & food are Pakistani, or so I am told.

+1 for Kinara & Indie Spice.

Also good are Okra Green in Howth & Kajjal in Malahide. (all Pakistani, and afaik owned by the same people as Kinara)

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    Well the four beers probably cost E20, so probably E39 for the food?

*each, and that was the total price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

two beers each=four beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Freemasonry

Just came back from there, was delicious. I especially loved the prices, will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Freemasonry

Back from the place, once again.

Advertisement