Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P J.D Salinger

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Catcher in the Ryes standing has, in my opinion, been dampened by what is seen as the stereotypical Catcher fan. People are afraid to say they are a fan because they fear being written off as a disgruntled teenager. And - as seen in the Battersby editorial - some people buy into this as Salingers image. Yet he is far better than that. To quote another, "no one can touch Salinger on dialogue."

The facts are this: every person Ive talked to about him who has read more than Catcher has agreed that thats not his best. I'm just back from an English Literature Soc meeting where he is held in very high regard by people who's opinion is well considered.

If you like an author, and you can explain why you like him, then I dont think you should be ashamed one bit.
    It just seems like something that wouldn't hit me the same way now that I'm not a disaffected teen.

I would disagree. The novel was, by Salingers own admission, written for adults not teenagers. If you consider it a study of the central protagonist and narrator, which I do, as opposed to the call to arms that many disaffected teenagers see it as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would disagree. The novel was, by Salingers own admission, written for adults not teenagers. If you consider it a study of the central protagonist and narrator, which I do, as opposed to the call to arms that many disaffected teenagers see it as.

I agree Eliot. I read this first when I was 14/15 I think and I didn't really get it. I read it about 5 years ago (early 30s) and it made alot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I hate to monopolize the thread, but Ive come across a few good articles!

http://media.www.jhunewsletter.com/media/storage/paper932/news/2010/02/04/Opinion/Twice.Dead.Remembering.J.d.Salinger-3865911.shtml
    It's worth considering why J.D. Salinger - Jerome David - wanted to be left alone. Say what you will, but the man was a true anti-celebrity in a culture that was just beginning to distract itself with such surrogates for self-fulfillment. The sheer impact of his intellectual contribution underscores the power that writing has to cut through the medium of mass culture, which has no thoughts of its own, and into individual hearts and minds. This is ultimately why I have never been bothered by Salinger's withdrawal from public view, because in following his own heart he reiterated that becoming an icon is not an inherently virtuous achievement. Sometimes you have to kill what others make of you.

Im reading Seymour - An Introduction at the moment. Its very interesting to see the parallels between Seymour, a writer, and Salinger himself. The previous story in the collection - Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters - also contained Seymour and revolved around certain characters' response to the fact he didn't turn up to his own wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hermunkla

Over the years I came across fleeting references to Catcher In The Rye and by chance came across it in a second hand book shop in Dublin. It was an Eureka moment for me. However,having read it, I wondered if perhaps some of the pages were missing as I could not see what was so special about the book. I then discovered that at that time the book was supposed to be on the School curriculum.Very disappointing.

Advertisement