Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom customer, can I log IP's and monitor bandwidth?

• 28-01-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am a new Eircom customer, (UPC dont have fibre running down my street yet).

I live with two people, one is a normal user of internet like myself, but the other, he's french and is glued to his laptop, I had mobile broadband and didnt mind the others using it but his download amounts are crazy. (I can monitor online)
    Is it possible to restrict IP's (to prove who is downloading) and monitor bandwidth? through the router supplied by Eircom? or flash it with better software if it is not possible?

If he goes over the limit he will have to pay for it, he went over my mobile limit by 10gigs in a week, fair enough it was around xmas but no way is he burning through our Eircom limit.

Thanks!
    SM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The routers that eircom supply are cheap and simple. They don't do much in the line of logging, and I don't think you'll be able to implement any kind of restrictions with it, bar closing ports to restrict P2P applications.

At the moment, eircom doesn't enforce the cap anyway, so it may not be an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

Why did you pick a limited package with eircom if you are going to go over limits?
    Smart have no download limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

EricM wrote: »
    Why did you pick a limited package with eircom if you are going to go over limits?
    Smart have no download limit.

Oh dear.. check out Smart Forums, you'll be in for a nice surprise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

What modem did they give you? I got a zyxel from the recently that looks pretty decent and might do what you need.

If it's a netopia forget about using it for bandwith limiting. Buy a wireless router like a wrt54g that you can flash with something decent, then hook it up to the Eircom modem and make everyone use that (turn wireless off on the Eircom, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Zyxel P660 that eircom are now using won't do this either. It's not a whole lot better than the Netopia ones. Cheep and cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Well it is myself and two others in the place, and the package is a 50gb limint.

I dont think he fileshares but is always video skyping and listening to stuff on line not to mind french tv shows too i'd say.

Anyway thanks for the info. I will be checking out whatever options I can.
    All I want is for to be accountable for what and how much I download and I want the same for the other 2.

SM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

why not just make him get his own broadband if its you thats paying for it?

Advertisement