Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiancee visa for USA

Options
  • 28-01-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am marrying an American citizen this year. I am just wondering has anyone here done the same or know the procedure. Does the fiancee visa take long to get? We would like to move to USA once we get married. Will the visa hold me up for a few weeks?
    I have put this in the North America section also so sorry moderators for putting it in the wring place. This is where it should be I think

Would appreciate any info people have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Hey,
    congratulations!

As with anything involving the government it does take a loooooong time unfortunately! Mine took 8 months from application.

You mentioned you want to move once you get married? Fiance visa is if you plan to get married in the US, if you are getting married in Ireland and then moving the process is different I think.

It's been a couple of years now so I can't remember everything in details but process for me was thus:
    - Fiance applies (in US) for visa
    (application includes a lot of info and proof, ie photos, emails etc, of a relationship. your fiance must also be able to prove that they can support you financially for up to 6 months as you will not be able to work when you get there - you have to apply for another document which takes about 3 months, though you can sometimes get this upon entering the country, but only if you enter via JFK).

....wait about 6 months....

YOu get some docs in the mail and set up an interview at the Embassy in Dublin answer some questions etc then they get you to do a medical and thats basically it for the visa.

You then enter the country on that visa and have to get married within 90 days, after which you get a Green Card with temp status, 2 yrs later they interview you again to make sure you;re still married etc and then they remove the temp status.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck!

PS - just noticed your sig, one word: Corvette!

Advertisement